Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

a foolish pianist posted:

The toys can't represent different species that got facehugged - a facehugger couldn't get a scorpion or a mantis, I don't think.

Also, those toys are rad.

The spores from Covenant, obviously

Canon is deeper and subtler than we can know. It surrounds us and penetrates us, binds the galaxy together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

a foolish pianist posted:

The toys can't represent different species that got facehugged - a facehugger couldn't get a scorpion or a mantis, I don't think.

Also, those toys are rad.

They’re giant scorpions and mantis that are indigenous to the planets the Marines visit.

I.... I got nothing. v:shobon:v

Dog_Meat posted:

Am I insane or do I remember a comic panel with Batman and an alien crossed with a T-Rex?

Please tell I'm mixing up memories or having a fever dream

That’s “Batman vs Aliens”, and it’s an Alien borne from an alligator.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a theory that the Alien doesn’t just take physical traits, but also behavioral ones as well. In Alien3, the quadrupedal Alien is shown “playing” with its food, the Predalien in AvP Requiem skins some of its victims, etc, as if the Alien is expressing the host’s basest instincts - “unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality”.
So what does it say about humans when the one from ‘Alien’ is a violent rape-monster?

I feel like it says the same things about humans that Alien already says.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Did a Google search for Meredith Vickers to see if I was remembering her name right, and the top results are people convinced she's an android.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did a Google search for Meredith Vickers to see if I was remembering her name right, and the top results are people convinced she's an android.

That would make zero sense for multiple reasons.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't know, this is pretty convincing:

quote:

1) Peter Weyland, the old trillionaire, did say that she was his daughter. He could have meant this figuratively though.

2) Janek, the captain of the Prometheus, asked Vickers for sex like he was asking an android for a glass of water. After she agreed without emotion, he sang "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" before he had sex with her (although they didn't show it). This suggested to me that he wasn't going to be with a human, but was going to love the android he was with.

3) The surgery pod wasn't designed for use by a woman. Why would a trillionaire who could afford to build a surgery pod not build one for use by his own daughter?

4) Vickers has a different last name than Weyland, which at least suggest that they are not natural father-daughter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
#2 is my favorite because I can't even parse what the hell they're trying to say. How does "love the one you're with" somehow translate to "this woman is an android"?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Basebf555 posted:

#2 is my favorite because I can't even parse what the hell they're trying to say. How does "love the one you're with" somehow translate to "this woman is an android"?

Yeah, all that says to me is that he doesn't actually love the woman and love someone else instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, it's a super common expression to excuse cheating or general one night stands/casual sex. Like if you're far away from your family/girlfriend back home, it's fine to sleep with people because "the one you love" isn't with you. A man's gotta gently caress.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He has a point with #3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

banned from Starbucks posted:

It cuts out everything. Hicks never mentions them after the dropship crash and they never set them up.

Man that's awful, if anything that should be left in. Not only is it cool as hell but I it really makes the whole situation feel even more hopeless than before; the Aliens will just throw themselves to death in huge numbers to brute force their way because they can afford to, while the last of the Marine's supplies quickly get eaten up in seconds leaving them with just welded doors as a defense.

I'm indifferent on the Colony scene though, if anything I would have preferred it to not have the two execs roaming the halls talking about "grid references" and "finders fees," that doesn't add poo poo. I would prefer just seeing the family stuff with Newt, but altogether it doesn't really add to much to the film and I can see why it was cut but like someone else said, more Aliens and I'm down to watch whatever was filmed for it.

Like that original 4 hour cut of Alien, god it must be a giant loving mess and a horrible watch but I'd soak all of that poo poo up because I love that film.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

viral spiral posted:

He has a point with #3.

Nah, there's clearly beef between those two. It's not meant for women because it's meant for him and gently caress everyone else, specially his no good daughter he doesn't trust.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

He outright asks her if she is an android too.

But the whole point of the character is that she IS just a human. Despite basically being the equivalent of "peak human" and hyper competent her dad still doesn't give a gently caress about her to the point where he created David in the first place to be both his son (albeit one he also makes a point to poo poo on for not quite being perfect since he lacks Weyland's concept of what a soul is) and greatest creation.

Weyland is so full of himself that a mere naturally born human could never measure up to his standard, and he's so full of himself that neither can David. It makes her character more interesting too because we don't have an exact exact time frame for how long this particular David's been part of the "family." To me her mannerisms and android-like aura about her is very obviously not because she's an android but because she's someone who's hung up on measuring up to the impossible standards of her dad - something she finally verbally fully gets sick of during her "a king has his reign and then he dies" scene.

Like I know Weyland's existence aboard the Prometheus is meant to be secret but like how hosed up is it that he ***WON'T EVEN SPEAK DIRECTLY TO HER*** and speaks to her through David throughout the movie until later on. That opening scene being cut works well for that.*

The movie's many religious parallels made me see Weyland/Shaw/Vickers as sort of a profane holy trinity because if you went to Sunday school you got taught that God is above all humans because God is: omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal. Those three things together are what makes God God.

Here we have three characters who destroy (I mean Shaw took a little longer to reach the point of physical destruction but still :P) themselves because they each want an aspect of something normally reserved for the almighty, and in some cases they already sorta have a one or two of those aspects as much as a human can.

And I love how that sort of tragic/rear end in a top hat aspect of the characters play's into the film's dark sense of humor so effectively. Like it's a given Vickers is a very powerful person on earth and pretty wealthy, but she still wants the official mandate that means omnipotence from her dad and is a wreck because she can't get it, even though on the surface it doesn't really make a difference who's name is on logo or whatever when you're already as high up as she is.

Weyland, again, closest you can get to being a God on human terms and, in his arrogance he even literally appears to the crew as a holy spirit via his hologram speech as he bestows his built rather than born (or unborn you could say :eyepop: ) son upon the crew. He very literally has it all but still isn't happy because that one last aspect of godhood - not having to concern oneself with the concept of death - eludes him.

Shaw is a similarly obsessed person, but in her case she wants to be omniscient, because if you literally real deal straight up 100% learn what created humanity and why - what more IS there to know?

David, of course, possesses and blatantly displays all three of these attributes, but hey he was created in a lab instead of born naturally so it never occurs to anyone to just ask him what's going on. And while he's far gone in Covenant, again in Prometheus Weyland created a being that effectively lives forever, knows everything, and is super strong, and then everyone proceeds to take a giant dump on him. Which is great because while we see in Covenant that David learned pretty quickly how lovely humans can be, Prometheus has so many little points in it where he might not have become an insane rear end in a top hat or slipped the goo into Holloway's drink if anyone besides Shaw just like, not even was super nice to him but just didn't go out of their way to otherize and treat him like dogshit to make him realize how lovely humans are.

Just the same Fassbender's performance is really brilliant because of how it's played in a way where like, he is malicious when he poisons the drink but has to kind of manipulate a way to do so that's within the realm of him following his programming. He's off the rails in Covenant but his behavior there is great for going into "wait I thought God wanted to help us so why are there massive natural disasters and horrible people?" Well much like in real life we get the God we create and that's the God we deserve.

Prometheus owns.

*Vickers being an android was something people assumed would be the case even before the movie came out due to how the character was described/looked in promotional stuff, but I really am surprised there's still people who think that NOW.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 27, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

viral spiral posted:

He has a point with #3.

Weyland and Vickers hate each others guts and can barely stand to look at each other.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What was the deal with the Kenner Toys anyway? I always thought it was weird they introduced an action figure line for a movie that came out 4-5 years earlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was for a cartoon that never got fully made. The cartoon was scrapped but the toys came out.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Amazing, this fails the Turing test.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

It was for a cartoon that never got fully made. The cartoon was scrapped but the toys came out.

What about those toys from the first film that never got a release (until recently) or the giant Alien they released? Was those also for a show based on the first film or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope. Just movie tie in toys. Only the gun game and the 18 inch alien made it out I think.

Both have been remade so you don’t have to spend a few grand on the toy.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

That’s “Batman vs Aliens”, and it’s an Alien borne from an alligator.

Oh good. Nothing too crazy then...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

He outright asks her if she is an android too.

But the whole point of the character is that she IS just a human. Despite basically being the equivalent of "peak human" and hyper competent her dad still doesn't give a gently caress about her to the point where he created David in the first place to be both his son (albeit one he also makes a point to poo poo on for not quite being perfect since he lacks Weyland's concept of what a soul is) and greatest creation.

Weyland is so full of himself that a mere naturally born human could never measure up to his standard, and he's so full of himself that neither can David. It makes her character more interesting too because we don't have an exact exact time frame for how long this particular David's been part of the "family." To me her mannerisms and android-like aura about her is very obviously not because she's an android but because she's someone who's hung up on measuring up to the impossible standards of her dad - something she finally verbally fully gets sick of during her "a king has his reign and then he dies" scene.

Like I know Weyland's existence aboard the Prometheus is meant to be secret but like how hosed up is it that he ***WON'T EVEN SPEAK DIRECTLY TO HER*** and speaks to her through David throughout the movie until later on. That opening scene being cut works well for that.*

The movie's many religious parallels made me see Weyland/Shaw/Vickers as sort of a profane holy trinity because if you went to Sunday school you got taught that God is above all humans because God is: omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal. Those three things together are what makes God God.

Here we have three characters who destroy (I mean Shaw took a little longer to reach the point of physical destruction but still :P) themselves because they each want an aspect of something normally reserved for the almighty, and in some cases they already sorta have a one or two of those aspects as much as a human can.

And I love how that sort of tragic/rear end in a top hat aspect of the characters play's into the film's dark sense of humor so effectively. Like it's a given Vickers is a very powerful person on earth and pretty wealthy, but she still wants the official mandate that means omnipotence from her dad and is a wreck because she can't get it, even though on the surface it doesn't really make a difference who's name is on logo or whatever when you're already as high up as she is.

Weyland, again, closest you can get to being a God on human terms and, in his arrogance he even literally appears to the crew as a holy spirit via his hologram speech as he bestows his built rather than born (or unborn you could say :eyepop: ) son upon the crew. He very literally has it all but still isn't happy because that one last aspect of godhood - not having to concern oneself with the concept of death - eludes him.

Shaw is a similarly obsessed person, but in her case she wants to be omniscient, because if you literally real deal straight up 100% learn what created humanity and why - what more IS there to know?

David, of course, possesses and blatantly displays all three of these attributes, but hey he was created in a lab instead of born naturally so it never occurs to anyone to just ask him what's going on. And while he's far gone in Covenant, again in Prometheus Weyland created a being that effectively lives forever, knows everything, and is super strong, and then everyone proceeds to take a giant dump on him. Which is great because while we see in Covenant that David learned pretty quickly how lovely humans can be, Prometheus has so many little points in it where he might not have become an insane rear end in a top hat or slipped the goo into Holloway's drink if anyone besides Shaw just like, not even was super nice to him but just didn't go out of their way to otherize and treat him like dogshit to make him realize how lovely humans are.

Just the same Fassbender's performance is really brilliant because of how it's played in a way where like, he is malicious when he poisons the drink but has to kind of manipulate a way to do so that's within the realm of him following his programming. He's off the rails in Covenant but his behavior there is great for going into "wait I thought God wanted to help us so why are there massive natural disasters and horrible people?" Well much like in real life we get the God we create and that's the God we deserve.

Prometheus owns.

*Vickers being an android was something people assumed would be the case even before the movie came out due to how the character was described/looked in promotional stuff, but I really am surprised there's still people who think that NOW.

You wrote alot here and even though it is kinda interesting, you shouldn't be doing so much work for the director trying to make sense of a bad movie. I can only imagine Ridley thinking big blue men are such a great addition to the alien storyline and can't stop laughing.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 30, 2018

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

You wrote alot here and even though it is kinda interesting, you shouldn't be doing so much work for the director trying to make sense of a bad movie. I can only imagine Ridley thinking big blue men are such a great addition to the alien storyline and can't stop laughing.

James Cameron also makes movies about giant blue people so clearly it's not just Ridley

there's also Fantastic Planet which has giant blue people

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 30, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Growing up in a hyper-Catholic household did most of the work for me. I mean I was taking the movie in along these lines and most of this post is from one I made when it came out. It's not like this is a super deep dive or laborious analysis of the flick that I'm putting down here.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

People that write a film over the course of a year or whatever are thinking about all this stuff when they write it, unless it[s a mandated for-cash thing, which nothing Scott does these days is.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

vickers being an android is less interesting to me than her being a strong female figure surrounded by villainous men, which is kind of a running constant in the alien films. constantly she wants to do the right thing and is undermined by weyland and his son.

i also like the design of the engineers as 'perfect' masculine forms, it makes the angry awake one at the end feel particularly brute-ish

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

vickers being an android is less interesting to me than her being a strong female figure surrounded by villainous men, which is kind of a running constant in the alien films.

“Surrounded” feels like a bit of a stretch. Each movie arguably only has one at best.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

“Surrounded” feels like a bit of a stretch. Each movie arguably only has one at best.

i 'villainous' is probably more of a stretch. usually there's one or two competent or genuinely heroic men, while the rest are villainous or useless

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You could say it's less "surrounded" by several and more "possessed" by one. Both literally and figuratively when you look at how Weyland presents himself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

i 'villainous' is probably more of a stretch. usually there's one or two competent or genuinely heroic men, while the rest are villainous or useless

Ehhhh even calling them “useless” seems like a bit of a disservice to a lot of the characters. For the most part they’re in over their heads in a situation they’re drastically unprepared for.

As for villainous, ‘Alien’ has Ash, ‘Aliens’ has Burke, Resurrection has Wren (and even his betrayal kinda comes out of left field), and Alien3 has.... Michael Bishop at the end of the movie? Kinda? And I could make a case that (especially in the assembly cut) he’s not actively malicious - he seems to genuinely care about Ripley’s well-being, he reacts angrily when the WY soldiers shoot Morse, and he seems to genuinely be interested in the Alien on a scientific level (even if he fails to recognize the inevitable mayhem that would ensue).

Things are a lot more clear-cut in the prequel movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Golic maybe for Alien 3. I like how no one in that film is outright good or evil. They’re all just shades. Dillion is a rapist and killer, and yet he’s one of the most heroic. Aaron is a stooge who follows lovely orders but at the end he still tries to do the right thing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Every character in Prometheus acts like a robot.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tenzarin posted:

Every character in Prometheus acts like a robot.

How so?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In the Blade Runners, Alienses, etc. robots are metaphorical people. Seems tautological that everyone acts like a robot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Prometheus would be been better if everyone was a robot while David was a human.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It was nice to see Cameron interview Scott and gush and tell him he thinks Scott definitely made the best Alien movie (and Scott gave Spielberg props for Jaws and compared it to the less-is-more approach he tried for alien). And then Paul W.S. Anderson made an appearance as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks, cursed image thread

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
:jackbud:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
isn't that basically one of the Blomkamp concept designs, but with a generic naked titty lady in place of clothed Ripley

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

isn't that basically one of the Blomkamp concept designs, but with a generic naked titty lady in place of clothed Ripley

There’s also an obscure ‘Aliens’ comic from the 90s that comes to mind, with a girl who dreams of disguising herself as an Alien by using hollowed-out Alien bits (again, fully clothed).

Sil from ‘Species’ is the superior Titty-Giger anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks, cursed image thread

You’re welcome.