Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
gently caress I hope we don't get Maeve being a centrist and constantly sniping at Dolores for being just like the humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress I hope we don't get Maeve being a centrist and constantly sniping at Dolores for being just like the humans.
Tbh I'm half expecting one the Host Rebels to (Perhaps accidentally) kill her daughter and for Maeve to turn on them for that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Centrist? Nah. Anarchist.

It's a good contrast. Maeve has a good point, but Dolores isn't wrong. There are just different perspectives on pragmatism and values in this situation. It was interesting to see our two protagonists meet at least.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Astroman posted:

I'd say he did, until he saw the pictures of his deaths. He seemed pretty on board after that.

Maeve asking him if he felt “free” by following Dolores seemed to give him pause even after that part.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wake me when MeatWorld is introduced.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dolores looks good in an LBD.

When are we getting these robots again? Asking for a friend.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Clifton Collins Jr. rules so I'm glad we got Lawrence back.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pingiivi posted:

Clifton Collins Jr. rules so I'm glad we got Lawrence back.

We didn't quite find him where we last saw him: doing tricks at the gala.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Dolores looks good in an LBD.

When are we getting these robots again? Asking for a friend.

Aw yeah, ERW looks good in everything my friendo.

Episode good. Really interested in what basically everyone is doing right now, and I'm very excited for some inner-workings-of-Delos past and present.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I'm half expecting one the Host Rebels to (Perhaps accidentally) kill her daughter and for Maeve to turn on them for that.

I want Maeve find her daughter and discover she is not a host, but a cheaply made barbie doll with 512mb of memory.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Giancarlo Esposito better be coming back otherwise that's a criminal waste. :colbert:

Also "something something Esposito's Host was definitely Buggin' Out."

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So we've got Bernard as a robot vampire, Dolores and co. as a robot zombie horde and Maeve as a robot mummy. When do we get to gillmen and werewolves?

Wait: what if Ford uploaded his brain to the tiger?! :tinfoil:

I know that this season is setting up the framework for episodes to come, but there's a part of me that's just wanting something to happen, a payoff for what we've seen from the first season to now. I know I'll wind up eating my words with the benefit of hindsight, but right now, the show feels like it's trying to remember where it was going after a lengthy bender

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Westworld S2 is a very expensive looking show that doesn't go anywhere.

S1 kind of touched on the subject matter of nature of consciousness, nature of human memory, idea of singularity. Now it's a loving narrative puzzle game.

And the robots have the weirdest analogue design. They can't loving bean rebellion signal to each other via bluetooth 9.0? They have to talk each other into rebellion verbally?

I agree with all of this sadly.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

My guess: Dolores and the hosts she’s working with are still on-script. Maeve and her dude are the only ones truly off-script.

Well, if you remember from the end of last season, it turned out Ford had programmed Maeve to want to escape the park and question how real she was.

She is completely ON Script, in other words.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The ultimate gently caress you to William would be having the hosts still refuse to fatally wound him. Kind of hoping we get that scene where it looks hopeless and a host just stops to stick it to him.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the blade runner feel from the start of the episode ruled.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

tecnocrat posted:

So we have the 30 years ago timeline. The two weeks ago timeline. And the right goddamn now timeline.

The word for this is "flashback". This episode has flashbacks in it. The word "flashback" has existed for a very long time but for some reason Westworld viewers have never heard of it before.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Westworld.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Kinda surprised no one mentioned it was all but confirmed during the retirement scene, that human-to-host mind transfers had been part of the plan from the moment Delos became involved.

Obviously it's a not exactly surprising, but pairing it with the other stuff presented in the episode does point very much in a certain direction.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 30, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's criminal that all shows don't drop the entire season all at once.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Was it just me or was the second episode boring as hell? I almost fell asleep. It seemed like it didn't really progress the story or the characters in any meaningful way.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kinda surprised no one mentioned it was all but confirmed during the retirement scene, that human-to-host mind transfers had been part of the plan from the moment Delos became involved.

Obviously it's a not exactly surprising, but pairing it with the other stuff presented in the episode does point very much in a certain direction.

Did we see Dad Delos on the beach with Floki? I'm wondering if he got Uploaded or cured.

Need to rewatch ep1 again...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I will say the hook of seeing the park 'functioning' and the subtle parts where things go wrong really made S1 work in a way S2 is having trouble doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They had me for a second during that party scene, thinking Tricia Helfer would make an appearance or at least a cameo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Did we see Dad Delos on the beach with Floki? I'm wondering if he got Uploaded or cured.

Need to rewatch ep1 again...
I figured the implication was that William didn't want him to survive, and might have deliberately slowed down progress on that front (or kept it hidden) to ensure it. Like, William was definitely smart enough to realize that you need to be on top when you invent immortality, because whoever is on top will not give up power without a fight - and attempt to claw back any they might have given away up to that point.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did any of you thought for a second that Ed Harris would be killed? before episode 10?

Every time he gets into a firefight situation my brain automatically shuts down. He will just get in a near death scenario and some how get himself out. He is still playing a loving game with mods on, not on Westworld the theme park, but on Westworld the TV show. None of any of his fights have an stake in them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Supercar Gautier posted:

The word for this is "flashback". This episode has flashbacks in it. The word "flashback" has existed for a very long time but for some reason Westworld viewers have never heard of it before.

Flashback usually has a 60s kodak color filter to hint at you that its a flashback, "timeline" is intentionally misleading flashback.

This is the only show I can think of where technology in the show makes no advancement during the 30 years period so the 2 eras look identical.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Not every gunfight in a show needs to be a "will they survive?" moment.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Did any of you thought for a second that Ed Harris would be killed? before episode 10?

Every time he gets into a firefight situation my brain automatically shuts down. He will just get in a near death scenario and some how get himself out. He is still playing a loving game with mods on, not on Westworld the theme park, but on Westworld the TV show. None of any of his fights have an stake in them.

This is literally every show ever. He's a main character in an ongoing plot, of course he's not going to randomly die

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

whatever7 posted:

This is why they need to play up the humor of the situation, with Ford continually taunting William from the afterlife. The point might also be to make the audiences think he's safe, only for one of the firefights to not be.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blue squares posted:

This is literally every show ever. He's a main character in an ongoing plot, of course he's not going to randomly die

He could die, but not by a noname host. So stop spending screen time on him grinding.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Flashback usually has a 60s kodak color filter to hint at you that its a flashback

This is not even slightly true. Countless movies and shows feature flashbacks that look aesthetically the same as present-day scenes.

"Timeline" means a specific sci-fi/fantasy thing that Westworld isn't doing, but Westworld fans have decided to call flashbacks timelines because :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

whatever7 posted:

This is the only show I can think of where technology in the show makes no advancement during the 30 years period so the 2 eras look identical.
How can you tell there have been no advancement? The only thing we know about the outside world in the present day is that humanity has conquered disease - something that's clearly not true in the outside world we see 30 years ago, where Jim seems to be dying of lung cancer. That's a pretty loving huge step forward.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I agree: the piss tape is real and its in the valley beyond

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The only thing we know about the outside world in the present day is that humanity has conquered disease - something that's clearly not true in the outside world we see 30 years ago, where Jim seems to be dying of lung cancer. That's a pretty loving huge step forward.

When was that mentioned? I'm drawing a complete blank on that detail.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When was that mentioned? I'm drawing a complete blank on that detail.
Conquest of disease? Pretty sure Ford mentioned it early on in S1, as part of this monologue about humanity having reached a dead end.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

whatever7 posted:

He could die, but not by a noname host. So stop spending screen time on him grinding.

It's not really showing him grinding. The first episode was him first playing with "real" stakes (although with Ford's manipulation, it may not be as real for him as others), this one showed him trying to game the system and Ford predicting it and not allowing him to.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Flashback usually has a 60s kodak color filter to hint at you that its a flashback, "timeline" is intentionally misleading flashback.

The flashbacks in season 1 glaringly pointed out they were flashbacks to the point that some of us picked up Young William/Old William by episode 2 (when he was introduced). Watching it on rewatch has the flashback sequences directly obviously in front of your face and transitioned to like a flashback in a normal show. They were just coy about telling us names so that some people would make the realization at the same time as Dolores. The show follows pretty much the exact same narrative structure as Batman Begins or Prestige.

There is advancement. The two eras are shown with us seeing a) Westworld the park, and b) Westworld the background of the park. The park is shown to change between the two eras, the robots change how they are made between the two eras, the front reception is different between the eras along with the logos, etc. That's also how a lot of people picked it up early.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Darko posted:

There is advancement. The two eras are shown with us seeing a) Westworld the park, and b) Westworld the background of the park. The park is shown to change between the two eras, the robots change how they are made between the two eras, the front reception is different between the eras along with the logos, etc. That's also how a lot of people picked it up early.

That reminds me: why weren't the robots that Logan saw all janky like Old Bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This show had both "yes this is clearly a flashback" moments which were picked up on by astute viewers but then it also had moments of "Dolores is off the grid, send someone to search for her, incidentally this also happened 30 years ago here's a confusing transition. I guess Stubbs never did find out why Dolores is off the grid in the present, oh well".

At least in this season there's no pretense in this regard.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 30, 2018