Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Pirate Radar posted:

The Dragon can take more punishment though, can’t it? I’m perfectly happy with a mech that just Leeroy Jenkins into a group of enemies and soaks hits while my shootier mechs disassemble the other guys from a distance.

Most 55 ton mechs have almost as much armor and firepower while having the maneuverability of a medium. Even Yang rags on the Dragon during flavor text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gwaihir posted:

The best dragon loadout is selling it and making a better mech out of a Shadowhawk -2D.

As previous posters noted, the Dragon has less available tonnage and loses an init phase in exchange for marginally more armor and 5 or 10 extra punch damage. The shad has better options for missiles, has jets that weigh have as much, and still gets double punch weapon mounts.

Finster Dexter posted:

Marginally. The 55 ton mechs are in a sweet spot of durability, speed, and weight. Heavier mechs have to use 1 ton jump jets instead of the .5 ton jump jets. They also end up having heavier engines for the same speeds. This is why some of the best mechs in the game (both this one and old tabletop) are the 55 tonners, Griffin, Wolverine, and Shadow Hawk. You don't really run into another sweet spot until you get up to 75-85 tons, where again, heavier mechs have to use 2 ton jump jets, etc.

Cool, noted. Thanks!

My first three heavies have been a Tbolt, then a Dragon and a Quickdraw. Agreed about the Quickdraw by the way, unless there’s a secret PPC and missile build that makes it some kind of bigger Vindicator?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's everyone's favorite Shadowhawk build?

they're consistent frontliners for me but i'm never happy with their hardpoints.

Also, anyone had success with a dual PPC Jaegermech, or is that too much heat to manage?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

they're consistent frontliners for me but i'm never happy with their hardpoints.

Also, anyone had success with a dual PPC Jaegermech, or is that too much heat to manage?

I like doing SRM boat with my Shadowhawks. You can gently caress some poo poo up with 2xSRM6 and 1xSRM4 with some medium lasers.

Strip out everything else but some heatsinks and put on a bunch of armor and its a great frontline mech.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

One large laser on a fast medium with jump jets and enough heat sinks is a legging machine and later, a pilot sniping machine. Don't overlook their innate accuracy bonus. That's huge in a game where accuracy results in anywhere from sniping a pilot in the forehead to missing and blowing up a nearby moon.
You could, but if you're paying for the heat and space, you might as well mount a PPC or some ACs. Accuracy doesn't seem to help called shot attempts, just the tactics skill.

I actually don't mind using my Shadowhawks stock since I like using gunners which mitigates their lack of focused range complement, but switching the LRMs and AC-5 for SRMs made for a pretty good brawler.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I've always used triple SRM + something shadowhawks, either a single LL with the 2H, or more mediums and smalls on the 2D.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If you don't like the weapons you can mount on the hawk, the other 55 tonners are all identical, but with different hardpoints and -15 melee damage. Absolutely no other differences. Personally I'm using a Griffin with 2 SRM6s, a SRM4, and an M Laser.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Synthbuttrange posted:

aaaa fine fine I've been shamed into finishing it.

This is a work of art.

I just got done with the prison mission. Is this the one people are saying involves the big difficulty spike? It felt like a cakewalk to me. Smashed all the turret generators in the first three rounds and then cruised through the light defenses. The reinforcement lance came through a chokepoint one mech at a time and died in short order. I spent several months doing random missions beforehand, maybe that made the difference. It seems like missile boats are really carrying me right now.

All things considered the game hasn't been very difficult so far. I like keeping my 3 med/heavy mechs outside of LOS of any cluster of enemies, and then using a light to spot/sensor focus one at a time. Enemies don't seem smart enough to counter this tactic- once they come under fire they'll start shuffling towards you as you down them one by one. The only hitch so far is the massive amount of LRM spam from every vehicle on the map, but you can bait out a lot of LRM counter-fire on a single braced, entrenched mech if you move it a bit forward of the others.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
No feeling quite as disheartening as losing your Gauss Rifle in a battle. Good night sweet prince. Not even salvaging a pristine Atlas and getting the last piece I needed for the good Banshee made me feel any better about that mission.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

So, I've seen a few posts concerning crashes to desktop after a match and people losing the mech they had just assembled. Welllll, it doesn't have to be a crash.

So, I ran across my first Banshee and I meticulously killed the pilot and salvaged the whole thing. Not realizing that assault jump jets cost two tons each, it looked like an upgrade from Behemoth's Black Knight. I packaged up my Black Knight to get the ++ junk off it, and as I was slapping it on the Banshee, I realized that huge engine wasn't going to leave me the room for what I was going for. Not wanting to have to wait a day to reassemble the Black Knight, I decided to load the post match autosave.

Of course, the Banshee was gone as if it had never existed. It seems if you load a post battle save in which you acquire a new mech, that mech disappears.

DON'T RELOAD A POST BATTLE SAVE WHERE YOU GET A FULL 3/3 MECH BECAUSE GUESS WHAT IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE.

I'm not mad really cuz I'm space rich and I have no idea what to really do with a Banshee (I'm a full armor coward)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sarsapariller posted:

This is a work of art.

I just got done with the prison mission. Is this the one people are saying involves the big difficulty spike? It felt like a cakewalk to me. Smashed all the turret generators in the first three rounds and then cruised through the light defenses. The reinforcement lance came through a chokepoint one mech at a time and died in short order. I spent several months doing random missions beforehand, maybe that made the difference. It seems like missile boats are really carrying me right now.

All things considered the game hasn't been very difficult so far. I like keeping my 3 med/heavy mechs outside of LOS of any cluster of enemies, and then using a light to spot/sensor focus one at a time. Enemies don't seem smart enough to counter this tactic- once they come under fire they'll start shuffling towards you as you down them one by one. The only hitch so far is the massive amount of LRM spam from every vehicle on the map, but you can bait out a lot of LRM counter-fire on a single braced, entrenched mech if you move it a bit forward of the others.

I feel like the secret to cracking the early game's difficulty curve is:

1) Instead of charging straight ahead to Weldry (prison mission), put it off as long as you can doing all the missions that pop up on the four planets between where you start and Weldry

2) Make a centurion LRM boat (20, 15, 5) and learn to use stability damage from missiles, autocannons, and PPC's to knock over opponents and rack up pilot injuries

3) Use precision strike to take out opposition quickly and maximize captured mech parts

4) Pay top-end salaries those first few months (while you still have very low base operating expenses) to permanently rack up long-term morale bonuses.

Basically, the time in between start of game and weldry is your opportunity to polish up.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Libluini posted:

If you overdo it, It looks a bit silly, though. I've wasted almost half a year now and I'm planning to do the second story mission in a month or two. The way this is going, the princess will take her throne like less then a year before the Clans are coming. :v:

I've got over three years in my current game and I don't have the Argo yet. I'm not going to liberate that prison till I have at least one heavy to take with me to do it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

If you don't like the weapons you can mount on the hawk, the other 55 tonners are all identical, but with different hardpoints and -15 melee damage. Absolutely no other differences. Personally I'm using a Griffin with 2 SRM6s, a SRM4, and an M Laser.

I'm using a couple of Kintaros which work well in either a SRM or LRM centric role. LRMs you need to pull a bunch of armor in order to get 40 missiles a salvo though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

King Doom posted:

I've got over three years in my current game and I don't have the Argo yet. I'm not going to liberate that prison till I have at least one heavy to take with me to do it.

:stare:

That's... a long time. I had my first heavy before the second main story mission, but only by sheer luck.

Also, the story missions advance the entire difficulty of the game, though not by a lot, so if you do that mission you're much more likely to start finding a heavy to take, even though it'll be another several story missions until heavies become "common"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

anyone else stop giving mechs serious business names like "LRM JAEGER" or "DUAL PPC CATAPULT" and start giving them proper nicknames?

anyway im at work, not playing the game, and yeah

My current lance is Disco Stu (Enforcer loaded with lasers), Missile King (LRM Centurion), Van Wizard (Kintaro with SRMs), and Big Ted (Lone, sad quickdraw I know I shouldn't be using but I like his nickname).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

King Doom posted:

Jesus christ dude

Honestly it almost isn't worth getting a Heavy before Weldry because until you have the Argo it takes waaay too goddam long to repair or modify them. I captured the Quickdraw early on and it was fun to jumpjet it around -- it comes with four heavy jj's -- but good lord can it lock up a mech bay slot

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My starting shadowhawk is an 30-LRM boat with a large laser tossed on for the occasional alpha strike. Im probably going to modify it to remove the laser and make it completely dedicated to missile boating now that I have better access to LRM-15 and 20s.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The prison mission definitely does not need that much preparation. I rushed for it and handled it with a 2/3 light/medium team comp. The trick to it and every mission, because the AI is worse than in civilization games, is to chokepoint or fall back to string them out. The ai will forever march forwards on your position not taking anything into consideration. Since every build has varying speeds, they'll eventually string out. And they all will. LRM boats, PPC carriers, Large Laser mediums. They all want to get in your face which means they'll all gladly walk through any chokepoints or obvious ambush positions. Once you're able to engage mechs one at a time the difficulty and risks plummet.

And the prison mission comes with build-in chokepoints right when you need them. Blow the doors open and immediately fall back. They'll walk through the prison gates one at a time for you.

The AI in this is some of the weakest I've ever seen in a strategy game.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 30, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m just gonna kit the Dragon and Quickdraw our for punching and give them to punchy pilots. What can I say? I like punching.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there any content predicated on keeping glitch (or anyone) alive? I got her killed a few missions ago (that "blow up the dropship building" one) and just kept moving forward but wanted to double-check.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I bet we’re going to see a nerf to LRMs in the near future by reducing their accuracy and stability damage. Played a few multiplayer matches today, every game boiled down to who brought the most LRMs boat.

E: Single player needs more urban mechs :argh:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't really like the Kintaro (or any of the 55 tonners) as an LRM boat over the Centurion. Centurion just has more spare tonnage for missles and the Kintaro's better speed is wasted on LRMs. A bunch of armor, jump jets and a poo poo load of SRMs are definitely the way to go on the Kintaro. It's my favorite brawler medium.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also, any one else found success with machine guns on brawlers? Thinking they give a chance for head shots that maybe will let me get better salvage, but maybe I should just stick with the small lasers.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Why does my locust have ballistic hardpoints in the arms? It can't mount the lightest AC and machine guns go in the support hardpoints. Am I missing something?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Finally lost Dekker in my campaign, but at least it was a suitable death - AC/20 to the head.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Plek posted:

Why does my locust have ballistic hardpoints in the arms? It can't mount the lightest AC and machine guns go in the support hardpoints. Am I missing something?

It’s hold over from the MWO models, where MGs take ballistic slots, those really should turned into support slots.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

The prison mission definitely does not need that much preparation. I rushed for it and handled it with a 2/3 light/medium team comp. The trick to it and every mission, because the AI is worse than in civilization games, is to chokepoint or fall back to string them out. The ai will forever march forwards on your position not taking anything into consideration. Since every build has varying speeds, they'll eventually string out. And they all will. LRM boats, PPC carriers, Large Laser mediums. They all want to get in your face which means they'll all gladly walk through any chokepoints or obvious ambush positions. Once you're able to engage mechs one at a time the difficulty and risks plummet.

And the prison mission comes with build-in chokepoints right when you need them. Blow the doors open and immediately fall back. They'll walk through the prison gates one at a time for you.

That last bit just isn't true unless you haven't been supremely blessed. The AI is as smart as it needs to be to not create matches that last for 100 phases. It exploits openings and will DFA you when you think you have things figured out. It DOES break once in a while though, and will act quite dumb in situations it isn't built to handle. It doesn't use jump jets as much as it should for instance, to avoid issues like the one you mentioned.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jesus christ dude

Honestly it almost isn't worth getting a Heavy before Weldry because until you have the Argo it takes waaay too goddam long to repair or modify them. I captured the Quickdraw early on and it was fun to jumpjet it around -- it comes with four heavy jj's -- but good lord can it lock up a mech bay slot

Yeah, that's why I stopped putzing around now that my lightest mech is a Panther (the other five being a Centurion, two Shadow Hawks, a Vindicator and my old Blackjack) and slowly started to work towards getting the Argo. Repair times are agonizing now that I've always some crap to modify or battledamage on my mediums to repair.

As soon as I have the Argo though I plan on visiting every single system on the very edge of the map. Cruising at the very edge of human space sounds awesome, and I foresee making tons of money by selling all those light garbage mech the game will throw at me in the space boonies. :v:

Zigmidge posted:

The AI makes me feel nostalgic for Red Alert and Red Alert II. I spend so much time just piling up defense in the AI's way and just wait until they've splattered all their forces against them. Also considering how the game is balanced, smarter AI would mean the game would also need to give you more money and poo poo to compensate your higher combat losses. Right now it works, so I kind of have fun with luring the AI into obvious traps.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Plek posted:

HBS decided to make S Lasers and Machine Guns (and flamers) into their own dedicated "Anti-Personel Weapon" slots instead of being Energy or Ballistic weapons.

They didn't change all of the mechs to reflect this. So you have some weird and stupid mechs like the locust and urbanmech with 4 ballistic hardpoints that are literally impossible to use.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

because the AI is worse than in civilization games

You haven't played Civ 5 or 6, I see.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that's why I stopped putzing around now that my lightest mech is a Panther (the other five being a Centurion, two Shadow Hawks, a Vindicator and my old Blackjack) and slowly started to work towards getting the Argo. Repair times are agonizing now that I've always some crap to modify or battledamage on my mediums to repair.

As soon as I have the Argo though I plan on visiting every single system on the very edge of the map. Cruising at the very edge of human space sounds awesome, and I foresee making tons of money by selling all those light garbage mech the game will throw at me in the space boonies. :v:

Yeah, I restarted once I got too far into the endgame (pushed for the Highlander and everything ramped up too meaty) so I can spend more time romping around with babymechs like the Firestarter and Hunchback and so forth. I still have a lot of very fond memories of the laser hunchie from MWO.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Among the piles of game file tweaks, is there anything that reduces the time cost of refitting? I want to experiment and gently caress around but it's like a month to strip down and rebuild a single mech and that's stopping me doing dumb poo poo.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

HBS decided to make S Lasers and Machine Guns (and flamers) into their own dedicated "Anti-Personel Weapon" slots instead of being Energy or Ballistic weapons.

They didn't change all of the mechs to reflect this. So you have some weird and stupid mechs like the locust and urbanmech with 4 ballistic hardpoints that are literally impossible to use.

This is... really loving over some of the lighter mechs.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If this game had the combat AI of recent civ games the enemy mechs just wouldn't fire their weapons a third of the time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gort posted:

If this game had the combat AI of recent civ games the enemy mechs just wouldn't fire their weapons a third of the time.

I've seen that happen a couple of times actually, usually due to pathing issues. Sometimes they're going to Guard mode which isn't dumb, though.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Control Volume posted:

You haven't played Civ 5 or 6, I see.

for the record: for roughly 6 months the AI in civ 6 couldn't conquer cities if it built a wall

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I really wish this game had the Phoenix Hawk. All those support hard points would make it great fir rushing in and hitting with a super hard melee attack, and its speed and jumping ability would make it very hard to pin down. There's nothing in the game that occupies the same niche currently.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

for the record: for roughly 6 months the AI in civ 6 couldn't conquer cities if it built a wall

If this game had walls the AI would break down completely.

Or, this:

Eej posted:

tbh I like the bugged reinforcements cause 4v8 is what I call a fair fight :smugdog:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I've seen that happen a couple of times actually, usually due to pathing issues. Sometimes they're going to Guard mode which isn't dumb, though.

Yeah, the only time I've really seen the AI get stupid was the refueling platform mission, everyone, especially in the latter half of the mission kept overheating trying to blast the Jenner I brought along. That little hero Iured them to the starting plateau one by one where the killbox (and mecha kung fu arena once heat and ammo became an issue) was.

By the last couple of turns, it was barely holding together and was put out when one of the last two, similarly wrecked mechs headbutted it before being kicked to death alongside its leader, who kept giving up turns by overheating to shut down.

Pity the pilot survived. His voice is goddamn insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Pity the pilot survived. His voice is goddamn insufferable.

A good voice is my only hiring condition.