Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well if it's any comfort by the time it's harvested it's basically mummified and the fungus has taken over every part in the caterpillar, so it's essentially a bug-shaped mushroom.

That is what a brain controlling fungus would say. :catbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Your friend is a genius and I need to know what spices because this is a life-changer

3 parts doenjang
2 parts smoked paprika
1 part liquid smoke
1 part soy lecithin
25 parts oil, neutral vegetable
5 parts kombu powder, dry
1 part dried shiitake
1 part agar agar
2 parts crystal msg
2 parts black garlic

Lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It really seems like way too much kombu powder but whatever, that's the verbatim thing

E: ah, his 2 looks like a 5, so 2 parts kombu powder

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

okay what about the 25 parts oil then, that's correct? :o

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's actually 52 parts oil

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Synthbuttrange posted:

ha. HA I say to you who think corn mushroom is the worst. You've not had the worst mushroom til your mom forces you to have a chinese herbal soup topped with cordyceps infected caterpillars.

MMMM NUMMY NUMMY

Hahaha, nope.

Nope.

No fuckin' way.

That said I wonder if any place around me has huitlacoche, it sounds good. Corn mushrooms yes, bug-controlling and mummifying mushrooms, no.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Huitlacoche's fine and I'd eat it again given the chance. I just thought it was kinda bland and inoffensive, so you're not really missing out on much if you don't try it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah

There's supposed to be more oil by a fair amount than other ingredients
He makes it a gallon of oil (so one part is 1/25 gallon) at a time. Just a loving insane amount of it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay how about a delicious soup of cordyceps, seahorse and black-fleshed silke chicken?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay how about a delicious soup of cordyceps, seahorse and black-fleshed silke chicken?

Waiter, I'll take a .357 Magnum and a single bullet. :suicide:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Would, primarily so I could say I did.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Synthbuttrange posted:

Everything I know about Seahorses indicates they would be awful to eat

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's like they tried to make it look as unappealing as possible

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The thing about herbal soups is they're only for their traditional chinese medicine effects of balancing your uh... I forget the term. Your inner humours? Flavour comes in a distant distant second so frequently these dont taste like anything except strong weird herbs. I'd drink them so my mom would stop hassling me to drink the souuuup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Everything I know about Seahorses indicates they would be awful to eat

If you think it's like the time you accidentally bit into a chicken vertebrae, you'd be right.

Speaking of chicken, there's basically no way to present a silke nicely.

Synthbuttrange has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Apr 30, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Synthbuttrange posted:

This screams of something that was thrown together because people were starving and it has stuck around because of tradition.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

This screams of something that was thrown together because people were starving and it has stuck around because of tradition.

Each of those ingredients costs at least like 300 yuan per kg

Something like 50x that for the mushrooms

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I hadn't considered it at all before, but now I'm really curious about what seahorse is like to eat.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Serve it with forbidden rice and blackened vegetables

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As mentioned earlier, its pretty much like biting onto a chicken or fish spine. No meat or flavour, so I guess this is one more of those traditional chinese herbal things.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I had natto at Abeno in London yesterday because I was wondering if I would still like it compared to ten years ago.

Whilst I can only describe the texture as phlegmy flu saliva, the taste was still pretty good. Pickled daikon helped.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Synthbuttrange posted:

As mentioned earlier, its pretty much like biting onto a chicken or fish spine. No meat or flavour, so I guess this is one more of those traditional chinese herbal things.

:randno:

I've learned that some people actually eat chicken bones. Apparently it's a thing in some parts of Asia, but I only heard it from a bourgeois scum white guy who said that's why he eats the bones.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can humans even digest bones

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Can humans even digest bones

Some very small fish have edible bones when they're fried, not sure how intact they go through the GI tract but they don't hurt people.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know about chicken bones themselves, but I've had chicken from some restaurants that have had delicious marrow, which I go out of my way to eat. Bone marrow is some good eats, if you can find the good stuff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Each of those ingredients costs at least like 300 yuan per kg

Something like 50x that for the mushrooms

And lobster used to be trash food for poors. Because it's a gross spider that lives in the sea.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mymla posted:

And lobster used to be trash food for poors. Because it's a gross spider that lives in the sea.
As far as I can tell this is a tall tale that started being repeated unironically.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't know about chicken bones themselves, but I've had chicken from some restaurants that have had delicious marrow, which I go out of my way to eat. Bone marrow is some good eats, if you can find the good stuff.

Yeah, it was a clueless white guy with moderately wealthy parents, so he was probably just dumb as poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vafqGwa68gs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've eaten chicken bones that've been stewed for a really long time so they're pretty much soft and crumbly. Get your daily calcium!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Scarodactyl posted:

As far as I can tell this is a tall tale that started being repeated unironically.

The way it used to be is people would pick up the ones that washed up on the beach (so, likely already dead and rotting), boil a bunch in a big pot and then smash them all open with a hammer and eat the undifferentiated overcooked rotten mush.

Needless to say that's a terrible way to eat, but washed up rotten seabug is free so it was a poverty desperation food.

Turns out if you get them live or reasonably fresh and cook them nicely they taste pretty loving good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

The way it used to be is people would pick up the ones that washed up on the beach (so, likely already dead and rotting), boil a bunch in a big pot and then smash them all open with a hammer and eat the undifferentiated overcooked rotten mush.

Needless to say that's a terrible way to eat, but washed up rotten seabug is free so it was a poverty desperation food.

Turns out if you get them live or reasonably fresh and cook them nicely they taste pretty loving good.

That could be part of the reason, but I find it more likely that it's because unlike most food it's hard to farm, so it's still mostly caught wild, which means it's relatively hard to get, which means it's expensive, which means it's automatically high class despite being a gross spider that lives in the sea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mymla posted:

That could be part of the reason, but I find it more likely that it's because unlike most food it's hard to farm, so it's still mostly caught wild, which means it's relatively hard to get, which means it's expensive, which means it's automatically high class despite being a gross spider that lives in the sea.

Actually, it's because the Bible says it's detestable and you shall not eat it. Like avocado flavored cotton candy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mymla posted:

It was my understanding that lobster, especially in the east coast areas that are famous for lobster, used to have a hell of a lot more lobster out in the wild than there are today. I could see lobsters being caught by accident quite regularly if that was the case.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Actually, it's because the Bible says it's detestable and you shall not eat it. Like avocado flavored cotton candy.

I guess the bible was right all along. Praise jesus.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm scared of lobsters :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm scared of lobsters :(

Hail, gunslinger.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sirbeefalot posted:

Hail, gunslinger.

dad a chik

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

lost fingats suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Iron Crowned posted:

It was my understanding that lobster, especially in the east coast areas that are famous for lobster, used to have a hell of a lot more lobster out in the wild than there are today. I could see lobsters being caught by accident quite regularly if that was the case.

Yeah many places are irreversibly overfished, I went to high school in Maryland where I was taught that the Chesapeake Bay has .5% of the oysters it did 200 years ago and nowadays something like 90% of the blue crab served in Maryland restaurants are from Indonesia