Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whatever you do please don't use perl.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also don't use python

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

don't listen to fishmech. the DVD GOUT (George's Original Unaltered Trilogy) releases are really bad transfers without color correction and with a bad deinterlace process applied that causes visual artifacting. that said they are the easiest way to get the original cuts

the De-specialized version of Ep. IV uses a lot of different sources to clean up the video, including production stills and a reel from a 35mm print that was donated. there was also a broadcast HDTV version of ep 4 se that predated the blu-ray release and didn't have all of the changes from that release. it's definitely better than watching in any standard definition release

the ep. 5 & 7 despecialized editions have much heavier use of the GOUT DVDs because there wasn't as much source material available. essentially you have lots of scenes cutting back & forth between HD and SD. they did manage to digitally re-add darth vader's eyebrows though.

if there were anything I would expect a Star Wars fan to know about, it's gout.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

perl’s fine and this is exactly what it’s for.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

stop using bash

use python or perl or something

i picked up python once and it was like durrr pick your type of indents and i guess i picked the wrong one and nothing worked and i then decided it was the stupidest poo poo ever and havent touched it since

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

pros use awk

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't write a perl in tyool 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
perl is fine, compared to bash

at least it has a debugger

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
anyone who gets snobby about perl, but uses python or ruby voluntarily, is an idiot

all three languages are deeply brain-damaged garbage, but people single out perl for special abuse because ????

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

anyone who gets snobby about perl, but uses python or ruby voluntarily, is an idiot

all three languages are deeply brain-damaged garbage, but people single out perl for special abuse because ????

it's unreadable unmaintainable garbage with all those shorthand tricks. At least Python is readable.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i started using parallel instead of perl oneliners a while back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

it's unreadable unmaintainable garbage with all those shorthand tricks. At least Python is readable.

lol

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Yeah the syntax is pretty bad, but if you're too lazy to use c# then this is as close as you can get.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

graph posted:

i picked up python once and it was like durrr pick your type of indents and i guess i picked the wrong one and nothing worked and i then decided it was the stupidest poo poo ever and havent touched it since

you use whichever type of indents you want in python. you cant mix both tabs and spaces in the same document, however.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I installed powershell everyone is wrong except for shaggar and those that agreed with shaggar

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I installed powershell everyone is wrong except for shaggar and those that agreed with shaggar

yeah we all know you're shagger-lite

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

THANK u

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

spankmeister posted:

perl is plenty readable, but people write do bad things with it. it has a problem with modern web presence and discoverability I guess? many ways to do something, and there’s a lot of old and bad “clever” code floating around out there... looking up how to do something and getting some ancient Perl monks page might not be the most representative. for some tasks it’s really good anyways.

python is fine too, plenty of libs for s number of different domains, some good science applications. python is probably the fastest for prototyping something in my experience unless it’s statistical then I’d probably use R

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

well, at least it's not bash?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

perl is fine, compared to bash

at least it has a debugger

bash is also fine for a number of purposes. if it does what I need it to do who cares, but don’t write anything huge with it

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i think perl is more readable than python but i accepted a long time ago that i'm in the minority on that one.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

OldAlias posted:

bash is also fine for a number of purposes

Like, for example, installing a better shell.

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004

Okay I have no idea why this stupid poo poo isn't working but gently caress you bash

code:
while read -r line; do echo $line; done < Clients.txt
works fine, spits out line by line from the file with a bunch of IPs in it

code:
while read -r line; do host $line; done < Clients.txt 
nope. gently caress you. hundreds of not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) errors thrown back at me.

I just want to do this horseshit in powershell where it makes sense

use dig op

dig +short -f clients.txt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Perl is fine if you don't need objects.

if youre just mangling text who gives a gently caress

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
one of my external drives seems to be suiciding, what's good software for recovering/moving files off a dying drive on windows? some of it is backed up but I'd rather not deal with downloading 3TB if I don't have to
tried googling but the top recommendations were programs that hadn't been updated in years

edit: might be the enclosure that's failing, using robocopy to grab everything using a different enclosure I found in a box

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 3, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a strange question

so i had some chrome extension that got sold to an adware developer and it got infected and i had to install malwarebytes to get rid of it. whatever. but now i have malwarebytes installed, and it keeps popping up the weirdest popups all the time: says it blocked a request to "b.securing-request.com" ("riskware") over and over again while browsing the forums.

so because it's always the same URL and IP, i looked it up and it's registered to cloudflare. i know the forums use cloudflare.

1) what is going on?
2) is this an actual normal cloudflare thing, or is it "riskware" like mbam says?
3) why does cloudflare own a suspicious-looking url like that?
4) why are the forums making requests to cloudflare all the loving time? how does cloudflare even work?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i have a strange question

so i had some chrome extension that got sold to an adware developer and it got infected and i had to install malwarebytes to get rid of it. whatever. but now i have malwarebytes installed, and it keeps popping up the weirdest popups all the time: says it blocked a request to "b.securing-request.com" ("riskware") over and over again while browsing the forums.

so because it's always the same URL and IP, i looked it up and it's registered to cloudflare. i know the forums use cloudflare.

1) what is going on?
2) is this an actual normal cloudflare thing, or is it "riskware" like mbam says?
3) why does cloudflare own a suspicious-looking url like that?
4) why are the forums making requests to cloudflare all the loving time? how does cloudflare even work?

cloudflare is a cdn, meaning that all they do is cache content in a middleman fashion. The offender is a Cloudflare customer. https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/ is what you want. give them as many details, logs, screenies as you can, and be polite about it. they'll get to it

They can't take the content down (weeeeeeeeeellllllll....yeah let's just say they won't take the content down) but they will pass your complaint on to the actual customer. CDNs dont want this trash making GBS threads up their IP reputations

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Cloudflare is a content distribution network. They provide web caching and regional distribution for loads of websites including these here forums and many many others. When you access forums.somethingawful.com you're accessing a cloudflare proxy which in turns accesses the real forums web server. cloud flare provides some caching of assets (like maybe avs) and also things like ddos protection. Its an incredibly typical usage of cloudflare.

The whois info on the domain is bogus so its probably not legit.

To figure out whats actually happening you can pop open the debugger in chome and look to see if you can find whats initiating the request. It could be the forums or it could be an extension. You can also see if it occurs in a different browser or with extensions disabled.

You could also not use chome cause its spyware and very bad.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im impressed

quote:

expires: Sun, 07 May 2028 18:45:54 GMT
< cache-control: public, max-age=315360000
< cf-cache-status: HIT

he actually does have some caching set up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

okay, the b.securing-request.com thing is the second-last entry (blocked by MBAM) and i guess the one after it is related cause it's trying to go to stats.browser-status.com.

what do i do with this, though? how can i find out more about what is initiating it? i only push individual bits around, don't really know web stuff.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
We'd need to see the hostname, but I'd not be shocked if some part of SA's dns records at cloudflare got hosted behind the same proxy as the malware site, and that malware bytes just blacklisted the IP address.

It's potentially a false positive, but again we need to see the actual hostname those two requests are looking for.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i switched from x11 driver to mac driver in wine to test something and now when i switched back to x11 i get this

code:
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The graphics driver is missing. Check your build!
wtf im pretty sure i didn't change anything other than "Graphics"="x11" to "Graphics"="mac" and back in winetricks

macos 10.13.4

wine --version
wine-3.6

xquartz 2.7.11

other x11 stuff works

but for some reason wine can't see it or some poo poo.

i tried switching to wine 3.0 in homebrew, i tried uninstalling and reinstalling wine (building from source in homebrew) and un/re installing xquartz, i tried a brand new wine prefix, etc. nothing works. for some reason only the macdriver works

idk wtf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i switched from x11 driver to mac driver in wine to test something and now when i switched back to x11 i get this

code:
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The graphics driver is missing. Check your build!
wtf im pretty sure i didn't change anything other than "Graphics"="x11" to "Graphics"="mac" and back in winetricks

macos 10.13.4

wine --version
wine-3.6

xquartz 2.7.11

other x11 stuff works

but for some reason wine can't see it or some poo poo.

i tried switching to wine 3.0 in homebrew, i tried uninstalling and reinstalling wine (building from source in homebrew) and un/re installing xquartz, i tried a brand new wine prefix, etc. nothing works. for some reason only the macdriver works

idk wtf

wine starts background services to handle a bunch of stateful stuff in the windows api

if you have an old wineserver in the background running nothing you do to the registry or the wine binaries on disk matters

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wine starts background services to handle a bunch of stateful stuff in the windows api

if you have an old wineserver in the background running nothing you do to the registry or the wine binaries on disk matters

yeah i've taken care of that

i can edit user.reg to switch between x11 and mac drivers fine, and i make sure no wine stuff is running when im gettin fucky with files or whatev

anyway ive been working on this for a while before posting and now i've achieved... getting a slightly different error

0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

i mean, yeah, ive done both but ok

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

i mean, yeah, ive done both but ok

the error means what it says

you think you did both, but you have a very clear piece of evidence that you have not. one of your assumptions is wrong

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
99% of troubleshooting is discovering which of your premises is false

it's extremely rare that you have to take a set of premises and develop a surprising hypothesis. 99.999% of the time, you're just fuckin wrong about what you assume going in

when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. this still applies when some dipshit on the ops team says he saw a flash of stripes

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the error means what it says

you think you did both, but you have a very clear piece of evidence that you have not. one of your assumptions is wrong

yeah i know

i mean,

code:

echo $DISPLAY
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.DvNjkPIYJd/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

top |grep -i xquartz
28321  Xquartz          0.0  00:00.01 2 

top|grep -i x11
28325  X11.bin          0.0  00:03.06 9     

im not an expert but i think its set and running ?

after more fuckery i was able to find this from wine

code:
0014:err:x11drv:process_attach failed to load libX11.6.dylib: dlopen(libX11.6.dylib, 266): image not found
0014:warn:module:process_attach Initialization of L"winex11.drv" failed
so googling says im supposed to add x11's lib folder DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

code:
echo $DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH
/Users/me/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11/lib
and the libx11.6.dylib is there

code:
ls /usr/X11/lib |grep libX11.6
libX11.6.dylib
am i stupid and missing something here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i don't know enough about linking on osx to say for sure. osx has a very hosed up non-standard binary format, and that means a real weird fuckin linker, too

i am not sure that warning is important, though, because you shouldn't be getting the X11 warning unless at least one of the drivers loaded successfully

it would be really frustrating if the x11 driver failed to load, it fell back to the non-x11 driver, and then gave you an x11-specific error message