Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

There's now a place to discuss the frame story for Rainbow Shogun. I think it was named "Tada-kun" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Megalobox owns. I still wish they didn't down-and-up-scale it, but every single other thing succeeds on pretty much every level. I'm totally hooked.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
new thread added to OP:

quote:

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
Doga Kobo | Yamazaki, Mitsue | Nakamura, Yoshiko | Comedy, Romance | Original | Apr 5, 2018
In the story, Mitsuyoshi Tada, a boy who has never known love, is taking pictures of the cherry blossoms in full bloom when he meets Teresa Wagner, a transfer student from Luxembourg. Upon arriving in Japan, she got lost, separated from her travel companion. Mitsuyoshi helps her and brings her to his grandfather's coffee shop.
PV
Thread

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
violet evergarden has a good looking guy who wears high heels, and therefore cannot be bad

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Eela6 posted:

Megalobox owns. I still wish they didn't down-and-up-scale it, but every single other thing succeeds on pretty much every level. I'm totally hooked.

Bad news: With the two shows using the same "technique" this season being otherwise popular and great shows there will probably be more studios using that art style.

Unless that actually costs a lot of money to do in which case never mind.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Crain posted:

Bad news: With the two shows using the same "technique" this season being otherwise popular and great shows there will probably be more studios using that art style.

Unless that actually costs a lot of money to do in which case never mind.

It is not expensive to do at all, it's a very simple technique.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
what's the second show?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

thats also fair but nukes arent really something that can be measured in pure death toll due to the longlasting effects of them compared to a regular firebomb, of course even if you account for people who got cancer 30 years after the fact the death tolls still dont approach the longlasting bombing campaigns, true

I'm two days late for the nuke derail but I still had the reply window open so whatever.
I don't think the longlasting effects of nuclear exposure figure particularly large among the reasons why Japan gets a lot more sympathy for that compared to the worse fire bombing campaign. Going out on a limb here, but inhaling a burning industrial plant might also lead to long term health effects.

For the main reason I'd put that everyone who lived during the cold war was half expecting that the nukes would end them. No one in America lost sleep over being targeted by a conventional strategic bombing campaign and I think the only country in the West where being the target of a bombing campaign is very present is the UK for some reason. It's a lot easier to sympathize with people if you can imagine the same thing happening to you. Also there is the fact that the US has been dropping bombs like candy for seventy years now, accompanied by billions of PR dollars to make that look OK.
Finally there seems to have been a quite successful public education campaign about the dangers of nuclear weapons around the globe. Apparently the (late) Soviets made kids a watch a quite harrowing animated movie (though my memory about the source is quite fuzzy here I think the subject was Japan) and there was a lot of reading material in school about people slowly dying of radiation poisoning. And at least when I grew up you'd get assigned at one (semi-)historical novel set in Japan since that was the only time nukes were actually used along with some fictional account of people like you dying after a hypothetical conflict.

OK, Sorry for the derail. Continue with the regular program.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like the horse anime, and the boxing

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like the horse anime, and the guns anime, and the anime with the heroes in it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

genericnick posted:

I'm two days late for the nuke derail but I still had the reply window open so whatever.
I don't think the longlasting effects of nuclear exposure figure particularly large among the reasons why Japan gets a lot more sympathy for that compared to the worse fire bombing campaign. Going out on a limb here, but inhaling a burning industrial plant might also lead to long term health effects.

For the main reason I'd put that everyone who lived during the cold war was half expecting that the nukes would end them. No one in America lost sleep over being targeted by a conventional strategic bombing campaign and I think the only country in the West where being the target of a bombing campaign is very present is the UK for some reason. It's a lot easier to sympathize with people if you can imagine the same thing happening to you. Also there is the fact that the US has been dropping bombs like candy for seventy years now, accompanied by billions of PR dollars to make that look OK.
Finally there seems to have been a quite successful public education campaign about the dangers of nuclear weapons around the globe. Apparently the (late) Soviets made kids a watch a quite harrowing animated movie (though my memory about the source is quite fuzzy here I think the subject was Japan) and there was a lot of reading material in school about people slowly dying of radiation poisoning. And at least when I grew up you'd get assigned at one (semi-)historical novel set in Japan since that was the only time nukes were actually used along with some fictional account of people like you dying after a hypothetical conflict.

OK, Sorry for the derail. Continue with the regular program.

well... only uk... belgium, france, italy, germany, netherlands all got the poo poo bombed out of them as well! in my small country we are still pulling around 6000 bombs out of the ground each year, talk about long lasting effects!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno i think theres a difference between 'theres still undetonated bombs laying around' and 'you have an increased risk of cancer, forever,' there's kind of an existential horror to the latter, and it kind of would have that weight even if the former led to more deaths than the latter

and kids are exposed to those films and books about the effects of nuclear bombs pretty young (i saw a pretty explicit film about it when I was like 10) so seeing such stark images as a kid probably also has an effect on perception. furthermore those long-lasting effects are portrayed in pretty much all the education material about them, whereas a lot of stuff about the bombings don't really mention anything about industrial plants getting hit or whatever.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I'm thinking about making a thread for Umamusume as it has turned out (in my opinion) to be a pretty legitimately entertaining "girls doing their best at sports" anime with a fun cast and lots of interesting references to real horse racing. The idol stuff (which I'm pretty sure is meant to represent the Winner's Circle after a race) is actually kept to a relative minimum, in fact there have been a few races so far where they just straight up skipped that part or it was like a 5 second cut. They do still run in fancy idol-ish outfits though, but that sort of "just playing the concept straight and not giving a poo poo" kind of feeling is part of what's made the show fun to watch for me. I'd recommend giving it a second look if you passed it up originally but are into stuff like GuP.

Also the latest episode had an eating contest between 3 characters that was a reference to an actual horse race in how it played out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pancakeparadox/status/990761671873499139?s=19

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goddamn NCHA

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

cathead posted:

I'm thinking about making a thread for Umamusume as it has turned out (in my opinion) to be a pretty legitimately entertaining "girls doing their best at sports" anime with a fun cast and lots of interesting references to real horse racing. The idol stuff (which I'm pretty sure is meant to represent the Winner's Circle after a race) is actually kept to a relative minimum, in fact there have been a few races so far where they just straight up skipped that part or it was like a 5 second cut. They do still run in fancy idol-ish outfits though, but that sort of "just playing the concept straight and not giving a poo poo" kind of feeling is part of what's made the show fun to watch for me. I'd recommend giving it a second look if you passed it up originally but are into stuff like GuP.

Also the latest episode had an eating contest between 3 characters that was a reference to an actual horse race in how it played out.

:justpost:

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
The latest episode of Mahou Shoujo Ore sure went full industry meta.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I'll start working on it then! I'm stuck at work until late tonight though so it probably won't be up for another day or so, because I don't like to half-rear end OPs.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If by year-end 2019 there is a NASCAR-based anthropomorphic stock-car anime girl show I will literally eat a hat.

KoB
May 1, 2009

cathead posted:

Show is good, just like the horsegirls.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've had bad case of only following one series this season thus far (MHA). What should I watch as well?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnacondaHL posted:

If by year-end 2019 there is a NASCAR-based anthropomorphic stock-car anime girl show I will literally eat a hat.

Something like Transformers where they transform into cars and are androids or a NASCAR show where the girls are the racers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I've had bad case of only following one series this season thus far (MHA). What should I watch as well?

If you like superpowered punching, Megalobox is a fine choice. If you like goofy, warm-hearted superpowered comedy, try Hinamatsuri.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think for it to count, the girls won't turn into cars, they'll just be car-themed, Kemono Friends style. To be honest I'm shocked it doesn't already exist. Moe anthropomorphism knows no bounds.

The concept kind of weirds me out. I'm fine with animal-as-moe-girl but object-as-moe-girl is apparently my line in the sand.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

eela doesn't like boat girls..

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Grouchio posted:

Megalobox is cool as hell. Easily the strongest action/sports show I've seen in a long while, and the music is just :discourse:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pleiades was a magical girl show with some car-based design aspects.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'd also toss Lupin on the pile. It had one moment hit an off emotional beat, but in general it's been fun to see Lupin and company take on the darkweb.

Moving on to slightly longer shots, SAO is actually kinda fun this season, partially since it has very little in common with other seasons of SAO, and Darling in the Franxx recently pulled some pretty nice long game reveals recontextualizing a lot of earlier moments.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Based on your likes, I'd go with Magical Girl Site, maybe Caligula, but i don't think you'd be a fan of most of the popular stuff this season.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Watch HisoMaso, you fools.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Watch HisoMaso, you fools.

It's on Netflix and therefore not currently available through legal channels in the United States. Complicates things.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gently caress the cops

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurora posted:

eela doesn't like boat girls..
i do

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It doesn't bug me as a visual design theme, but when they get contextualized in-universe as literally that thing despite being, well, people it starts getting weird. Like how in horse idols they exist alongside regular people but are apparently just all racehorses by default.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Motto posted:

It doesn't bug me as a visual design theme, but when they get contextualized in-universe as literally that thing despite being, well, people it starts getting weird. Like how in horse idols they exist alongside regular people but are apparently just all racehorses by default.

:yossame:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Something like Transformers where they transform into cars and are androids or a NASCAR show where the girls are the racers?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't think motorsports is popular enough to support this endeavor anyways. Maybe MotoGP is doing better but I know Suzuka Circuit attendance has been down year over year for a while in F1.

Definitely not stock car racing though....

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Would I download anything that would let me make an anime Senna part of my team though? Absolutely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i was at my dad's the other day and he was watching some nascar documentary about races in other countries and when they went to japan some random japanese government official made a joke about 'nascar' sounding like 'eggplant car' to him that the show didnt explain whatsoever, and my dad didnt get it either, and i was just sitting there trying to figure out if i should explain the joke or if id come across as a tool

thats my nascar story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

Based on your likes, I'd go with Magical Girl Site, maybe Caligula, but i don't think you'd be a fan of most of the popular stuff this season.
Julius.
Why would you think I would be interested in a Madoka knockoff that can't even comprehend what made Madoka's edge good?

• Locked thread