Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Now I'm just remembering the guy who produced the "bop drive" and the anti infantry gauss ammo that was pretty much a hollow slug filled with poison wasps.

ATN082268.

God, rec.games.mecha is literally decades ago and I still remember the idiotic argument about the wasps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

If this game had walls the AI would break down completely.

Or, this:

Good thing it doesnt have walls then. Its unfair to compare any AI to Civ AI

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Where's me Catapults game, not seen one yet and I want it!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

for the record: for roughly 6 months the AI in civ 6 couldn't conquer cities if it built a wall

Didn't it also have a typo that crippled it's economy because it was trying to focus on an industry that didn't exist?

Edit: Found it

https://kotaku.com/fans-discover-game-changing-typo-in-civilization-vis-co-1823845314

basically the AI had parameters set one like YEILD_GROWTH which obviously means nothing as it should be YIELD_GROWTH.

I fully expect Battletech to have bug like this given how bad it's performs.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 30, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh yeah there was a recent discovery that was supposed to modify the priorities of each civ, so some civs would be more religious, some civs would build more economy, etc. but none of the civs did this because the variable that housed all this information was misspelled. This wasnt fixed until a modder spotted it lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's kind of silly that the only Catapult variants they decided to pick for the game are the one that doesn't have missiles and the one that only has 2 Missile hardpoints and like 4 energy hardpoints for a hybrid garbage heap.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the K2 and don't have any issues with it, but the fact that the C1 has less missile hardpoints than most other heavies is kinda dumb.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope future expacs add aerospace, helicopters, infantry, battle armor and the ability to command all the above

Gimme the full battletech experience

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A good voice is my only hiring condition.
Most of the voices are pretty unremarkable I think, so my prime criterion is the warrior's callsign. As such I really wanted to hire this lady called Grandpa, but unfortunately my rep wasn't good enough yet. :smith:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wasn't the k2 put in to fill in the gap left by either the marauder/warhammer getting cut or am i just making stuff up again

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Last night's learning experience: You can absolutely mount three PPCs on a Swayback.

You cannot, however, mount nearly enough heat sinks.

Still surprises the absolute poo poo out of multiplayer opponents.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Same. If Paradox gets HBS to do their usual train of regular DLCs I will gladly dump another hundred bucks into this game. Nothing’s grabbed me this hard in years. It’s a few QoL patches away from perfect as far as I’m concerned.
You're like the fifth person to say this and the fifth person to be wrong about what is going on here. Paradox Development Studio is a game maker that is owned by Paradox The Publisher. Paradox The Publisher is publishing Battletech; they are not the ones coding the game or deciding (at least not directly) the DLC model; Harebrained Schemes are the ones coding and managing their product. Paradox Development Studio are the guys and gals who code CKII, EU4, HoI4, ect who have the zany DLC model. Paradox the Publisher does not impose that DLC model on anyone and just because Paradox The Publisher is publishing Harebrained Schemes' "Battletech", and because Paradox Development Studio is also being published by Paradox The Publisher, does not mean that the people who call the shots at HBS will all of a sudden release a DLC-a-quarter for their game just like "Cities: Skylines" or "Pillars of Eternity" do not.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A good voice is my only hiring condition.
I am really glad I hired Eck.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 30, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I can forgive this game for its bugs because its a small studio and its near release, and the AI is predictable and not that smart, but its good enough to make the game fun. Civ 6 had the entire development of civ 5 to work out AI, way more funding, way more dev time, and the AI is borderline nonfunctional, and unpredictable in the worst ways where itll declare war on you even though you have good relations and can crush them without effort

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Control Volume posted:

I can forgive this game for its bugs because its a small studio and its near release, and the AI is predictable and not that smart, but its good enough to make the game fun. Civ 6 had the entire development of civ 5 to work out AI, way more funding, way more dev time, and the AI is borderline nonfunctional, and unpredictable in the worst ways where itll declare war on you even though you have good relations and can crush them without effort
Didnt Civ6 come out like....well over a year ago?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also this game will have dlc because no one cares that paradox the developer and paradox the publisher are different so pumping out dlc is expected and encouraged

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Eej posted:

It's kind of silly that the only Catapult variants they decided to pick for the game are the one that doesn't have missiles and the one that only has 2 Missile hardpoints and like 4 energy hardpoints for a hybrid garbage heap.
wait what,

what is the point of it if not to spam missiles?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, let's not say anything we can't take back. Civ 5 and 6 AI were garbage, and 6 was somehow even worse. The comment about the AI not knowing how to siege a city with walls is spot on. And saying "well this game doesn't have walls" is silly. They were a simple mechanic that a rudimentary AI should have been able to handle. The AI in this game isn't Deep Blue or anything, but it is much better than "can't handle fundamental game mechanics."

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

Most of the voices are pretty unremarkable I think, so my prime criterion is the warrior's callsign. As such I really wanted to hire this lady called Grandpa, but unfortunately my rep wasn't good enough yet. :smith:

Muh gender conformance and binary pronouns! :bahgawd:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Croccers posted:

Hello fellow 'Ehhh middling armour is enough' Mechwarrior.

Holy hell you people stick a lot of back-armour on things. The most I do is 3/4's even on my Heavy mechs. Just don't get flanked :gitgud:

Normal stand-off mechs get 25 back armor (1 medium laser), closer ranged mechs get 50, melee mechs get as much as I can spare. I'd never drop back armor below 25, that's just asking to get important stuff blown up on a single ML hit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Control Volume posted:

Also this game will have dlc because no one cares that paradox the developer and paradox the publisher are different so pumping out dlc is expected and encouraged
Apparently people do care because they keeping posting nonsense about a publisher being responsible for a developer's DLC model! Thankfully I was not commenting on what kind of DLC model HBS will or should follow; I agree with you that there should be DLC. I eagerly await any DLC they want to sell...they have made a great game and I think the fun is just beginning. Its just dumb when people assume that because one company that is published by the same publisher does something, every other company also being published by that publisher will do the same thing.

HBS also needs to do lots of DLC because most Battletech fans are middle aged whales who have no self control and thus will by DLC without much of a second thought - just look at MWO.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
The AI actually did something relatively clever today. The only remaining mech of an enemy force of nine was a pristine Jenner with a remaining lifespan of about half a turn. So it backs up a hill into a position where melee attacks can't reach it and entrenches. Still got cored that turn but I couldn't punch it's shield off or knock it over.

Edit: Is it just me or is the princess character portrait an order of magnitude cruder than the other portraits in the game? It stands out doubly next to the 3d model portraits in the game and makes me think they should have just picked one type for all characters.

Erd fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 30, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I really wish this game had the Phoenix Hawk. All those support hard points would make it great fir rushing in and hitting with a super hard melee attack, and its speed and jumping ability would make it very hard to pin down. There's nothing in the game that occupies the same niche currently.

Same here, just with loving all of my favorite mechs: I'd wish for nothing else but a lance of Marauder, Warhammer, Archer plus one random slot for whatever mech of the day I want.

Curse you, Harmony Gold! :argh:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

HBS also needs to do lots of DLC because most Battletech fans are middle aged whales who have no self control and thus will by DLC without much of a second thought - just look at MWO.

I think before getting excited DLC they should maybe release a patch to fix all the hilarious broken poo poo in the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wish the difficulty things actually made sense.
A while ago I had a level that showed 2 skulls and it was the hardest thing I've done, where every enemy mech had a PPC of some kind and were totally tearing me to pieces.

Meanwhile I just did my first 4 difficulty level where they told me my tonnage wasn't good enough (I only have a quickdraw heavy and it's rubbish) and it was a cakewalk with only 3 medium and 3 light mechs to fight. It's weird and sort of frustrating, I would prefer to have a good idea of what I expect to face. And have a better idea of when there will be heavy mechs. I've got three that I have 2/3 for and dammit I just want to meet some more.

I find LRMs really lovely in single player. Probably because I like to just run in with everyone, hanging back just doesn't suit me at all. I keep removing them altogether from any mech that I get.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Libluini posted:

Same here, just with loving all of my favorite mechs: I'd wish for nothing else but a lance of Marauder, Warhammer, Archer plus one random slot for whatever mech of the day I want.

Curse you, Harmony Gold! :argh:

The Longbow, to give that stick in the eye a twist.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Apparently people do care because they keeping posting nonsense about a publisher being responsible for a developer's DLC model! Thankfully I was not commenting on what kind of DLC model HBS will or should follow; I agree with you that there should be DLC. I eagerly await any DLC they want to sell...they have made a great game and I think the fun is just beginning. Its just dumb when people assume that because one company that is published by the same publisher does something, every other company also being published by that publisher will do the same thing.

Thanks for this post, which manages to be pedantic and wrong at the same time. You don't need to explain the games industry to me, I work for a AAA studio.

If you think that the publisher has no say in the business model of a game release, then you don't understand games publishing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hot take: the Catapult only has 2 missile hard points because it is s relatively balanced mech. Meanwhile, the Cenrurion should probably not have three missile hard points.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I find LRMs really lovely in single player. Probably because I like to just run in with everyone, hanging back just doesn't suit me at all. I keep removing them altogether from any mech that I get.

:allears: And yet, he wonders why he has trouble sometimes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aramoro posted:

I think before getting excited DLC they should maybe release a patch to fix all the hilarious broken poo poo in the game.
Oh well yeah thats assumed.

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Thanks for this post, which manages to be pedantic and wrong at the same time. You don't need to explain the games industry to me, I work for a AAA studio.

If you think that the publisher has no say in the business model of a game release, then you don't understand games publishing.
Just because you work for a AAA studio doesnt mean you know how everything works for everyone :confused:
Its not like there are people from PDS who post here and Paradox The Publisher isnt active on Social media or anything to clue us in on these things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Flipswitch posted:

wait what,

what is the point of it if not to spam missiles?

The default Catapult C1 has 2 LRM15s and 4 MLs which translates to two missile slots and four energy slots in MWO. The A1 is the one with 6 missile hardpoints and nothing else because it's considered "all or nothing". The C4 has two energy slots and four missile slots. Thanks to MWO the default Catapult has the worst hardpoint setup for boating although it's also on HBS for not including one of the many other much more missiley variants.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hot take: the Catapult only has 2 missile hard points because it is s relatively balanced mech. Meanwhile, the Cenrurion should probably not have three missile hard points.

Counterpoint: If you have no medium mechs with 3 missile hardpoints you can't run awesome SRM brawler mechs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Libluini posted:

:allears: And yet, he wonders why he has trouble sometimes.

That was the only level I had trouble.
Plus that wasn't what my post was about. It was about the difficulty levels not actually expressing the difficulty. Enough that I was warned about a level and yet did it without even being shot at!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Eej posted:

The default Catapult C1 has 2 LRM15s and 4 MLs which translates to two missile slots and four energy slots in MWO. The A1 is the one with 6 missile hardpoints and nothing else because it's considered "all or nothing". The C4 has two energy slots and four missile slots. Thanks to MWO the default Catapult has the worst hardpoint setup for boating although it's also on HBS for not including one of the many other much more missiley variants.
I don't bring Catapults to use lasers, god drat MWO. That is some bad vibes. :(

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I'm liking the game but it really needs sequential contracts/missions. I want to campaign on a world, not jump between planets every couple days.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Taear posted:

A single, dedicated LRM is pretty great for destabilizing mechs if you have AC buddies and blapping objectives at range in timed missions.

But yeah, if hanging back isn't your thing, then you could go the SRM route and push harder.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Just because you work for a AAA studio doesnt mean you know how everything works for everyone :confused:
Its not like there are people from PDS who post here and Paradox The Publisher isnt active on Social media or anything to clue us in on these things.

Read my original post again because you seem to be confused about it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BurntCornMuffin posted:

A single, dedicated LRM is pretty great for destabilizing mechs if you have AC buddies and blapping objectives at range in timed missions.

But yeah, if hanging back isn't your thing, then you could go the SRM route and push harder.

I do, that's how I play. It works really well and so far it's been a really easy game. Which is good, because I'm normally poo poo at Strategy games!
I was just saying that I wish the difficulty skulls made more sense because dammit I want to get some Heavy mechs and I'm not having a lot of luck.

Plek posted:

I'm liking the game but it really needs sequential contracts/missions. I want to campaign on a world, not jump between planets every couple days.

Yea, it is getting a little samey for me at the moment. I'm holding off doing the mission after the Prison so I can get some Heavy mechs and I wish that when you go onto "contracts" it'd show them across the areas you can jump to instead of just three or four things. Give me some proper variety!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
LRMs become actually worthwhile rather than just a nuisance once you can put out more than 20 at a time in a single barrage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can pretty easily throw 2 LRM20's on it and maybe a laser, and it's basically a burlier ranged Centurion, which is fine. It is a weight class heavier, but a master-tactician pilot solves that issue just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Plek posted:

Contract subplots would be pretty good yeah.