Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I want to say that the heat level of the hunters lodge / flying hunters does not matter. Anyone else have input on this?

I've had games where I heated them and games where I didn't and it seemed to make no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Lum_ posted:

You get the "Golden Path" ending, the only thing it nitpicks about are things your people don't like (such as being cold) and says "We didn't cross the line" in the ending, which is also the tag on the achievement.

Supposedly you can get this even if you pick Faith/Order as long as you don't get too far down the tree.

It's also buggy, I got the Golden Path achievement for map 1 in map 2.

Some achievements are definitely bugged.

You may also just not get the Golden Path achievement and still get "... but we haven't crossed the line" in scenario 1. I'd say there might be another criteria for it but it does specifically say "without crossing the line" in the achievement text. :iiam:

I still have not seen this option in the law book. How bad do I have to be to get it show up?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I want to say that the heat level of the hunters lodge / flying hunters does not matter. Anyone else have input on this?

I've had games where I heated them and games where I didn't and it seemed to make no difference.

They do not require heat. I can 100% confirm this. But do turn them off during the hellstorm to prevent them from accidentally going to work and freezing to death.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Once again with this developer I really like the atmosphere and respect the game as such, but not the games idea in what I think it wants to be.

Imo the game has about the same issues as This War of Mine. Enveloping an interesting ethical human scenario within a set of binary and oldschool rules that are instantaniously visibile for most people playing games for a while.

Frostpunk again gamifies said scenario with such little sophistication that in the end I do play the numbers and nothing else. Everything else becomes an audiovisual hull, a set, barely connected with what I do. Frostpunk, as well as This War of Mine, would've benefitted a lot more from a more opaque ruleset and a more complex one as well. To me The Sims is (or can be) more dramatic in terms of human interaction as either one of 11 bit Studios games only because they envelope it in gritty conflicts which in the end are not that, but simply a cold measurement of what the game currently needs in terms of reaching the set goal.

One thing I really loved and then became extremely disappointed in my first win (and 4th attempt on normal) was the one citizen who set out to search for his runaway child (I gave him the rations to do so) and then returned within the middle of the loving endgame storm in the first scenario (successful too! He found his child) just for... nothing. Nothing happend at all. No hope increase. No cheering. No statue was put up at the church. Just a barebone text msg that he succeeded. And then I hit fast forward again to see if the remaining 400 ppl will survive two more days w/o food so I can be done with the numbers game.

I mean it's not bad as that (the only thing I really wish for and loving loathed during the game were the indistinguashable buildings) but yeah, it's just that. You try to survive against the odds purely based on what the interface rates are telling you and there is NO connection to the people or any kind of empathy/sympathy towards anyone. They're just more numbers. Can they work? Good. Can they not? Get the gently caress rid of them/make them. Otherwise you might lose the game, because there is simply no reward or mechanic in place to accomondate the social side of things. The same was true for TWoM iirc. It just became inventory management to me and I totally got disconnected from caring about the characters.

I think what I'm trying to say is that there is no emotional connection for me. I felt so much more losing a great crew in FTL. Even Darkest Dungeon, where the characters really come and go, made me connect a lot more towards them specifically as in Frostpunk or This War of Mine.

Never the less I enjoyed Frostpunk a bit more since it is really well made otherwise. I just don't see it as anything much more as a limited survival strategy game with little depth. Wasn't the same with This War of Mine but probably since I highly dislike "survival" games that stand or fall with invetory slot management.

Regarding that, I didn't mind as much as the endagme screen told me "was it worth it?" Yeah idc. Not emotionally attached hered. (great timelapse though! Really loved the utilization of their own engine!)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The game's events and scout locations could really stand to be randomized, or else you know what's gonna happen and which to avoid and which to beeline for. Same with the events that happen.

Then again maybe I'm not supposed to replay the game?

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Renounced posted:

I still have not seen this option in the law book. How bad do I have to be to get it show up?

It's the next one after Soup / Food additives. It is weird how you cannot click on Laws you do not have access to due to not having the laws before it though. Would have been nice to be able to plan my first time through.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jokes posted:

The game's events and scout locations could really stand to be randomized, or else you know what's gonna happen and which to avoid and which to beeline for. Same with the events that happen.

Then again maybe I'm not supposed to replay the game?

I think the longevity will come from more scenarios or a scenario builder getting released. i've played for 12 hours and haven't beaten the main scenario (though i have made it a point to have 2 double whiskeys before each session) and now that i know i can beeline to being frost pope and never have to worry about hope again since i saw it on the tech tree last playthrough i'll surely do that and finish the next playthrough.

fuckers banished me with less than 2 hours to go, my last game, but now it should be simple

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Tormented posted:

It's the next one after Soup / Food additives. It is weird how you cannot click on Laws you do not have access to due to not having the laws before it though. Would have been nice to be able to plan my first time through.

You know I haven't actually done this yet myself - I was thinking it would unlock through a combination of the snow pit, sawdust unlock, and a sufficient number of bodies.

But I cannot actually see it on the book of law tree, it just ends with food additives.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm seeing things which indicate it was cut? Shame if true.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Any of yall getting regular crashes to desktop? It's gettin real old having to redo days constantly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, I bought these game a couple days ago, failed scenario 1 and 2 once because I could get enough coal in time for the final storm, then won first scenario twice. It's very nice, if a bit short for a village builder, though they posted on steam about adding more scenarios now. Also, a possible endless option, which might be interesting as a randomly generated scenario with multiple possible storms so you have to pick your poo poo up after each one.

Also lol @ "neighbourhood guard, watchtowers, but i think we never crossed the line". Yeah, sure, buddy.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm seeing things which indicate it was cut? Shame if true.

It probably was, though some things only show up as events if you're doing incredibly bad I think. There's an achievement for staying in power after people want to overthrow you and nearly 30% of steam has it, but I don't even know how bad things have to be for that to happen, even on my first playthrough my people just froze to death rather than think about revolting.

fake edit: game hasn't crashed for me yet.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

describing this game as a city builder is inaccurate, really

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Mechanically this game is absolutely a city builder, in what way is that inaccurate? The player has control over infrastructure, placement of new buildings and high-level policies. The citizens build buildings and gather resources and are slightly abstracted and only indirectly controllable by the player. That is exactly what a city builder is, the description I just gave applies as well to Sim City and the Anno games as it does to Frostpunk.

Also the easiest solution to the food issue is not soup or sawdust or hothouses but rather leaving everyone you find in the Frostlands to die in their holes.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Tormented posted:

I'm sure I've taken the Soup one but I can't remember if I ever took Food Additives...

Truga posted:

:words:

It probably was, though some things only show up as events if you're doing incredibly bad I think. There's an achievement for staying in power after people want to overthrow you and nearly 30% of steam has it, but I don't even know how bad things have to be for that to happen, even on my first playthrough my people just froze to death rather than think about revolting.

Yeah I think Cannibalism might be cut or you need enough bodies in the snow pile to justify it popping up.

The easiest way to trigger that is just to piss off everyone you can with 24h shifts and a new quest will pop up telling you to keep Discontent below 75% and Hope above 25%. Then just smash all your Hope/Discontent modifier buttons.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jamsque posted:

Mechanically this game is absolutely a city builder, in what way is that inaccurate? The player has control over infrastructure, placement of new buildings and high-level policies. The citizens build buildings and gather resources and are slightly abstracted and only indirectly controllable by the player. That is exactly what a city builder is, the description I just gave applies as well to Sim City and the Anno games as it does to Frostpunk.

Also the easiest solution to the food issue is not soup or sawdust or hothouses but rather leaving everyone you find in the Frostlands to die in their holes.

i dunno, people call Anno a city builder too, it isn't

in city builders you manage traffic, services, etc. and also a 'builder' game doesn't have a prescribed endpoint

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

boar guy posted:

in city builders you manage traffic, services, etc. and also a 'builder' game doesn't have a prescribed endpoint

Well it is a building-survival game. It melts both aspects into one, using city building as groundwork. We've seen this in other games so far which too went from pure economic building into the survival theme and used it ontop of the commonly know city building genre.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm good with the 'survival' categorization

if you've seen Project Aura, for example, yes, there is a grid and you place buildings but i wouldn't call it a city builder either

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Renounced posted:

I'm sure I've taken the Soup one but I can't remember if I ever took Food Additives...

You can see it gray out hanging below the choice.

I wonder if it gets removed if you pick cemeteries and cemeteries are blocked out if you pick alt food sources.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This game is hard. I've let my people down.

How far are people getting in the tech tree? My first serious play through of the first scenario, I only made it to the second locked tier of upgrades. My colony was already in a freefall before the end, though. I didn't feel like I had enough time to explore a lot of options like automatons (other than the free one I got). Part of that, I'm sure, is that I was on the brink of collapse for a few weeks.

Outposts seem to be buried pretty far down, though. Is it reasonable for me to think I'll be able to establish a few outposts or is that a pipe dream?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

boar guy posted:

You do manage services in this game, if you count soup and Fight Club as services. Also I am SO glad 11 Bit opted not to have any 'traffic' management in this game, yes it's a little weird sometimes that the animation of your pops moving around is only loosely tied to the simulation of what they are actually doing, but that is infinitely preferable to micromanaging road placement for optimal pathing.

Mr. Powers posted:

This game is hard. I've let my people down.

How far are people getting in the tech tree? My first serious play through of the first scenario, I only made it to the second locked tier of upgrades. My colony was already in a freefall before the end, though. I didn't feel like I had enough time to explore a lot of options like automatons (other than the free one I got). Part of that, I'm sure, is that I was on the brink of collapse for a few weeks.

Outposts seem to be buried pretty far down, though. Is it reasonable for me to think I'll be able to establish a few outposts or is that a pipe dream?

You can clear out the tech tree if you make research a priority early on, Prav's advice about using emergency shift on your workshops early game is a good one, and from then on you should try to build as many workshops as you can staff with engineers (up to a maximum of four) and always have them working extended shifts. On the fourth tier there is a tech that lets Automatons staff workshops which gives you 24 hour research. You don't really need to research absolutely everything though, if for example you have all of the hunter upgrades researched you really don't need any of the hothouse stuff, and there are other similar pairs of alternate tracks like coal thumper vs coal mine, wall drill vs sawmill and even steam hubs vs generator range.

In my experience outposts aren't terribly important, the only one I really like is the one in New Home that gives you steam cores. I have also considered the food outpost in Refugees just because there are so many hungry mouths in that scenario.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 30, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

for tech get two workshops up early, staff one of them with 5 engineers and run an emergency shift. once that's up, move the engineers to the other workshop and do the same there. by the time your second workshop overtime is done the cooldown will be up on the first. repeat indefinitely.

now you have 100% tech rate working around the clock, which will get you a real long way.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jamsque posted:

You do manage services in this game, if you count soup and Fight Club as services. Also I am SO glad 11 Bit opted not to have any 'traffic' management in this game, yes it's a little weird sometimes that the animation of your pops moving around is only loosely tied to the simulation of what they are actually doing, but that is infinitely preferable to micromanaging road placement for optimal pathing.

i really hate that resources start coming in as soon as your guys start trudging out there, it really amplifies the disconnect between your actions/plans and the animations

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To even hope of surviving to the end, you kinda have to get all the way down the tech tree and research about 2 techs there I think, possibly 3.

First priority after the first day resource rush is tents, and then 2 workshops imo. Add two more when you get the extra colonists, and always be researching something. Have all 4 workshops work on extended shifts permanently. Having children help with engineers seems to be not as good as helping in hospitals tho.

Jamsque posted:

I had like 10 hangars by the end of my best run through scenario 1, thousands of spare raw and made food rations by the time the storm hit, still had ~150 workers doing nothing. I could've easily employed them in coal thumpers if I was lagging in coal production. The extra workforce is worth a shitload, compared to the extra hunter hut you'll build for each 2-3 new waves of refugees imo.

Also, hothouses require steam cores, which are probably better spent in coal mines and infirmaries.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Prav posted:

for tech get two workshops up early, staff one of them with 5 engineers and run an emergency shift. once that's up, move the engineers to the other workshop and do the same there. by the time your second workshop overtime is done the cooldown will be up on the first. repeat indefinitely.

now you have 100% tech rate working around the clock, which will get you a real long way.

And a bunch of annoyingly dead people gumming up the gears.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

And a bunch of annoyingly dead people gumming up the gears.

i've never had more than one dude croak, usually really early

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Truga posted:

To even hope of surviving to the end, you kinda have to get all the way down the tech tree and research about 2 techs there I think, possibly 3.

First priority after the first day resource rush is tents, and then 2 workshops imo. Add two more when you get the extra colonists, and always be researching something. Have all 4 workshops work on extended shifts permanently. Having children help with engineers seems to be not as good as helping in hospitals tho.

I had like 10 hangars by the end of my best run through scenario 1, thousands of spare raw and made food rations by the time the storm hit, still had ~150 workers doing nothing. I could've easily employed them in coal thumpers if I was lagging in coal production. The extra workforce is worth a shitload, compared to the extra hunter hut you'll build for each 2-3 new waves of refugees imo.

Also, hothouses require steam cores, which are probably better spent in coal mines and infirmaries.

Yeah once you know what you are doing in this game you can absolutely feed 600+ people with no issues, but food was my biggest struggle on my first few attempts.

You are not the first person I have seen advocating building tents on day 1 and I think you are dead wrong, even on hard difficulty all the scenarios start at a temperature that is perfectly safe for un-sheltered sleeping as long as you turn the Generator on at night, and those tents don't do anything for you except give you a tiny reduction in discontent which you don't need that early in the game. I usually have one or two workshops, gatherer's huts on the starting resources, one or two medical posts, a cookhouse, a beacon, a scout team and maybe even a hunter's hut and a sawmill going before I build a single tent.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Do folks not run the Generator constantly? I lost my first scenario last night, due to lack of coal, but I think I made some bad choices about resource allocation. Going straight to entertainment probably didn't help - the Hope crash from finding Winterhome was pretty bad.

If your scouts get back before the survivor dies with his doomsday ranting, do you get the opportunity to keep mum about the fate of Winterhome?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 30, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jetrauben posted:

Do folks not run the Generator constantly?

There isn't much reason not to unless you have literally zero coal.

It isn't so bad to have it off really early in the game but having it off at night will kill people no matter how warm they are, which is dumb.

E. Re resource management, be careful with how you heat the outer buildings. Keeping the generator at a normal level is easy, but you can have a ton of bleeding from random heaters you have on around the place. It's good to make liberal use of the economy menu and temperature overlay.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 30, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Do folks not run the Generator constantly?

i was gonna say...

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

If your scouts get back before the survivor dies with his doomsday ranting, do you get the opportunity to keep mum about the fate of Winterhome?

No, you can't keep the fate of Winterhome secret. You can either explore it and trigger the Londoner crisis yourself, or just wait for the survivor to show up and do it for you

Running the generator during the day does nothing for you except waste coal, you only need to start having it on round the clock once the temperature is low enough that your medical posts and cookhouse are too cold to operate, and even then if you have heaters researched they will keep those places running for a lower coal cost than the generator will. IIRC the lowest generator setting is 6 coal per hour, first level heaters cost 1 coal per hour each and only turn on when the building is occupied and working.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Jamsque posted:

No, you can't keep the fate of Winterhome secret. You can either explore it and trigger the Londoner crisis yourself, or just wait for the survivor to show up and do it for you

Running the generator during the day does nothing for you except waste coal, you only need to start having it on round the clock once the temperature is low enough that your medical posts and cookhouse are too cold to operate, and even then if you have heaters researched they will keep those places running for a lower coal cost than the generator will. IIRC the lowest generator setting is 6 coal per hour, first level heaters cost 1 coal per hour each and only turn on when the building is occupied and working.

Huh. Won't that tick people off due to no heating in their tents or bunkhouses though?

Also, that seems a really big lost opportunity for a moral choice that can blow up in your face. Shame. Oh well, maybe mods will add it.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Huh. Won't that tick people off due to no heating in their tents or bunkhouses though?

It will, but my experience is that discontent is so low during those early days that it isn't worth worrying about. Also see my earlier point about when to build tents, your people can't be 'cold at home' if they have no homes to be cold in.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 30, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Tormented posted:

I wonder if it gets removed if you pick cemeteries and cemeteries are blocked out if you pick alt food sources.

My book of laws does not look like this. It isn't there in mine.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 30, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I keep the generator on during the day because the heat stops people getting sick at work

I will frequently have it a level below top level to save on coal though

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Tormented posted:

This isn't on my screen, even with a method of dealing with the dead not selected. I'm using the GOG version fwiw.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Renounced posted:

This isn't on my screen, even with a method of dealing with the dead not selected. I'm using the GOG version fwiw.

:same: for the steam version.

Someone is pirating lol

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Confirmed cut from the game due to gore graphic and ESRB rating. Lame - hopefully we get a DLC "The path of Blood" where it's added back in.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Confirmed cut from the game due to gore graphic and ESRB rating. Lame - hopefully we get a DLC "The path of Blood" where it's added back in.

Well that's really weird considering that you can execute children and arrest Automatons for reading dissent books. That's right, on a full-fasc playthrough, my citizen brought me an engineer that was accused of reading Dickens. When I sent him to prison, I was suddenly missing an automaton on one of my workshops (because no engineers were actually employed at the time). Both of these things happened on the same play-through, it got weird.

The children on the other hand were executed when an event triggered where cooks were stealing rations. Children were the only ones employed as cooks.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So what's the secret to permanently raising hope? I keep passing positive laws and building guardposts, but those are just creating temporary boosts that keep me hovering above 15% hope. Folks keep joining the Londoners in greater numbers despite my best efforts.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Renounced posted:

Your right, just checked in-game. I was watching you streamer that had it, never even looked over there in the live game.

Just assumed it was still there seeing the wiki and the review pictures of the book of law all have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Renounced posted:

Well that's really weird considering that you can execute children and arrest Automatons for reading dissent books. That's right, on a full-fasc playthrough, my citizen brought me an engineer that was accused of reading Dickens. When I sent him to prison, I was suddenly missing an automaton on one of my workshops (because no engineers were actually employed at the time). Both of these things happened on the same play-through, it got weird.

if your robots are reading dickens locking them up is probably a good precaution tbh