Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also the movie loves to frame Mogli's knowledge as an active threat against the jungle, even when doing benign stuff like harvesting honey it's pointed out that he's doing stuff that normally wouldn't be possible for the animals of the jungle, but then the movie basically slaps you in the face with that message when the jungle is on fire and everybody looks on at Mogli in fear because he started the fire. But then he stays in the end so I guess it's alright? Really the ending felt like it was just being contrary to the animated version, which is something I can say for most of the differences between the two.

The spoilered part owns though. Mowgli in the stories is basically a liminal figure who will never fit in with either humanity or among animals, that's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
remember when Klasky Csupo did a Jumanji cartoon and had the guy who created Duckman do the character designs

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

remember when Klasky Csupo did a Jumanji cartoon and had the guy who created Duckman do the character designs
Yeah, but it wasn't Klasky Csupo. It was the guys who did the Men in Black series. It just happened to have the same weird head to body portions as Rocket Power.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Ah, I thought I had heard it was KC (plus Everett Peck, the aforementioned character designer, had worked with KC on multiple shows such as Rugrats and his own Duckman) but looking it up you're right

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I loved Jumanji 2 because I am a huge idiot and Jack Black being a teenage girl is hilarious to me. It didn't even need the Jumanji name stapled onto it, it was just a dumb, funny jungle themed adventure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toy Story 2 has all the quality of a saturday morning cartoon show doing an hour long special episode and Toy Story 3's ended with me actively rooting for the complete immolation of the cast.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Toy Story 2 has all the quality of a saturday morning cartoon show doing an hour long special episode and Toy Story 3's ended with me actively rooting for the complete immolation of the cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFISjORzQs

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

If you embrace overanalysis like I do, Toy Story 3 is a lot more fun when you view it as a story about afterlife and religion.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Toy Story is A+ but Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 are merely A

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think that the biggest leg that Jumanji has over Jumanji 2 is that Jumanji is trying to mimic and improve on Spielberg's style, whereas Jumanji 2 is mimicking a mix of Jumanji and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (which is admittedly cool as gently caress), rather than going back to the roots of the same thing Jumanji itself was mimicking. I wish Zathura were better than it is, but it is still better than Jumanji 2 (which I sadly must admit is still an okay movie, although some of the gender stuff in it is really weird and offputtingly regressive, though I suppose that in a lot of the country it's probably a step forward - sad!). Apparently they're making a Jumanji 3, which I hope is the first movie in the franchise to be better than its predecessor, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Not sure why this is in the animation thread, though. :shrug:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Toy Story 2 is the best Toy Story don't @ me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao, just lmao, that Woody throws away his shot at fame, comfort, and love to be loyal to someone who doesn't even know he's a person and shitboxes him in a couple years.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I do wonder what Woody was doing before Andy. Like he's from a very old show so he's a very old toy. Was he also just collecting dust in some old toy store for like 30 years before ending up with Andy? If he belonged to a person you'd think he'd have been used to the whole cycle by now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

That show was insanely ugly

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

I do wonder what Woody was doing before Andy. Like he's from a very old show so he's a very old toy. Was he also just collecting dust in some old toy store for like 30 years before ending up with Andy? If he belonged to a person you'd think he'd have been used to the whole cycle by now

There's a fan theory somewhere that Woody originally belonged to Andy's dad, which could explain why an otherwise unremarkable cowboy doll has so much significance to Andy.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 29, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The spoilered part owns though. Mowgli in the stories is basically a liminal figure who will never fit in with either humanity or among animals, that's the point.

yeah, the live-action Jungle Book is really a case where I feel like you'll hate it if you're expecting "the cartoon in live-action," and you'll love it if you're expecting "the Kipling stories played basically straight but with some nods to the cartoon here and there"

i feel like it's simultaneously the most faithful, most competent, and least horrifically offensive adaptation of Kipling we're ever going to get, and that's worth a bit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a fan theory somewhere that Woody originally belonged to Andy's dad, which could explain why an otherwise unremarkable cowboy doll has so much significance to Andy.

honestly, Woody's not really beat-up enough to be a hand-me-down; he looks to be the same "age" as the other new-ish toys, and they never say in 2 that he's from the original Woody's Roundup line. I always kind of figured he was a revival toy of an old line that Andy's dad got for him out of nostalgia as a toddler or something. sort of like how the original G1 Optimus Prime has been out of production since 1986, but the toy's been reissued with various little tweaks and new accessories (and no major design changes) about 20 times between Takara and Hasbro between then and now, with the former making a loving iPod dock out of the same mold at one point

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 29, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Kipling stories played straight? Are you high? The only film that ever did that was the Soviet animation, which is admittedly the best, but both Disney versions are leagues from that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, Woody's not really beat-up enough to be a hand-me-down; he looks to be the same "age" as the other new-ish toys, and they never say in 2 that he's from the original Woody's Roundup line. I always kind of figured he was a revival toy of an old line that Andy's dad got for him out of nostalgia as a toddler or something. sort of like how the original G1 Optimus Prime has been out of production since 1986, but the toy's been reissued with various little tweaks and new accessories (and no major design changes) about 20 times between Takara and Hasbro between then and now, with the former making a loving iPod dock out of the same mold at one point

No one is going to hold up a display at a toy museum for wont of a reissue.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

The Kipling stories played straight? Are you high? The only film that ever did that was the Soviet animation, which is admittedly the best, but both Disney versions are leagues from that.

you left out a pretty important word there, which is "basically." it's not exact, but it's as close as a Hollywood movie can reasonably get, especially one that's beholden to the earlier Disney version in any way and one that's trying not to be horrifyingly racist.

Pick posted:

No one is going to hold up a display at a toy museum for wont of a reissue.

i mean... i kind of like the idea that lovely goon toy guy would have just gotten owned by the museum for bringing them a reissue Woody. it makes a nice monkey's-paw twist to the whole deal. :shrug:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I thought you all should know that I searched for Jumanji on Netflix and for some reason that turned up the Emoji Movie and then for some reason I actually watched that thing and man, what a waste of good animation and also wow I'm impressed that the plot didn't make sense from the start and then the ultimate climax manage to make it WORSE and in conclusion I hate all of you.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"Doctor it hurts when I do this."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

I thought you all should know that I searched for Jumanji on Netflix and for some reason that turned up the Emoji Movie and then for some reason I actually watched that thing and man, what a waste of good animation and also wow I'm impressed that the plot didn't make sense from the start and then the ultimate climax manage to make it WORSE and in conclusion I hate all of you.

For reminding me this film exists and that I watched portions of it I hope a meal you order doesn't come with the appropriate sauce packets.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
which is worse
bee movie or emoji movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

which is worse
bee movie or emoji movie

Emoji

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm never watching either but the concept of a some rear end in a top hat comedian making a bizarre, awful movie that exposes his personal hangups offends me less than the marketing logic that allowed Emoji Movie to exist

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm never watching either but the concept of a some rear end in a top hat comedian making a bizarre, awful movie that exposes his personal hangups offends me less than the marketing logic that allowed Emoji Movie to exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbH10o2VTXI

I'm someone who is perfectly fine with cliche stuff (I'm a total sucker for the "they hate each other but then by the end they're in love" trope in movies) but this clip alone is like every single cliche thing in any movie for like a solid three minutes. It's astonishing. I would defend Bee Movie over the Emoji Movie any day

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 30, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This stirs a memory but I don't remember the details. Can someone remind me what is this about?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Pick posted:

The Chuck Jones version of Mowgli’s Brothers is very faithful. :colbert: Oh yeah and Riki Tiki Tavi.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you left out a pretty important word there, which is "basically." it's not exact, but it's as close as a Hollywood movie can reasonably get, especially one that's beholden to the earlier Disney version in any way and one that's trying not to be horrifyingly racist.

So, by "the Kipling stories played basically straight" you actually just meant it doesn't have a sense of humor? New Jungle Book has as less in common with the original stories than old Jungle Book, as one would expect of the "serious" remake of an adaptation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

So, by "the Kipling stories played basically straight" you actually just meant it doesn't have a sense of humor? New Jungle Book has as less in common with the original stories than old Jungle Book, as one would expect of the "serious" remake of an adaptation.

okay, let me be as specific and clear as possible about what i meant by that:

it tries to carry over the tone, themes, and atmosphere of the Kipling stories and largely succeeds, despite the specific events being a sort of odd hybrid between the originals and the old Disney movie. i don't know how much i have to qualify this statement before y'all stop trying to fishmech it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean... i kind of like the idea that lovely goon toy guy would have just gotten owned by the museum for bringing them a reissue Woody. it makes a nice monkey's-paw twist to the whole deal. :shrug:

lmbo if you think Big Al doesn't have the exact specs of a first run Sheriff Woody memorized forwards and backwards

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not getting into how accurate LORD OF BOOTY's comment was or was not, but didn't Disney already do a "more-accurate" live-action Jungle Book adaptation in the early 1990s?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I enjoyed that film.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbH10o2VTXI

I'm someone who is perfectly fine with cliche stuff (I'm a total sucker for the "they hate each other but then by the end they're in love" trope in movies) but this clip alone is like every single cliche thing in any movie for like a solid three minutes. It's astonishing. I would defend Bee Movie over the Emoji Movie any day

I almost smiled at the emoticon joke.

So much good animation wasted for that though. Yikes.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Neon Noodle posted:

The Chuck Jones version of Mowgli's Brothers is very faithful. :colbert: Oh yeah and Riki Tiki Tavi.

Yeah I remember that part in the book where Kipling described Tabaqui as being lime green, kind of a weird choice but I guess the dude did have some hangups about color. :v:

(don't forget The White Seal, that was a faithful adaptation too!)

It's been a while since I watched it but I didn't care for new Jungle Book, it just felt really bland to me. Like they wanted to do straight up Kipling but they couldn't commit all the way so you're left with something that tries to be both serious and appealing to children and doesn't really have much to say for itself. The thing that makes the old Soviet animation so good (other than the fact that it's just fuckin gorgeous to watch) is that they didn't shy away from the source material and they didn't dumb the main character down. Mowgli in the books is a crafty little badass. Mowgli in the Disney versions is a clueless kid blundering his way through wacky animal adventures.

Anyway, consider: Beemoji Movie

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Squarely Circle posted:

Anyway, consider: Beemoji Movie

Now, is this the Emoji Movie except all of the emojis are bee emojis, or is it Bee Movie but characters can only communicate through emojis?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

CeallaSo posted:

Now, is this the Emoji Movie except all of the emojis are bee emojis, or is it Bee Movie but characters can only communicate through emojis?

Yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:dong:🐝

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spotted at Cinemacon, a movie that is definitely coming out for real you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Crackers_(2017_film)

It's not Food Fight, but it is troubled.