Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

astral posted:

On April 30, 1803 will be properly available for download, and it'll start rolling out May 8.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/04/27/make-the-most-of-your-time-with-the-new-windows-10-update/

Any idea what time of day the Media Creation Tool will be updated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The RemoteFX GPU acceleration stuff for HyperV VMs, is that available and functional in Windows 10 Pro? I find half-assed conflicting information about it.

(e.g. Microsoft themselves mention that the host requirement would start at "just" Windows 10, but last I even looked at it, which granted was a while ago, didn't have anything of the sort.)

Would be interesting to know and have, so that I can shuffle annoying poo poo like Adobe Creative Cloud and its apps off into a VM.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
From the little I remember, you need a Quadro or pro type AMD to get that to work on the server 2012 vm's. Also, you need to use enterprise Windows in the VM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

According to reddit, they enabled RemoteFX 3D around end of 2015 already. I guess I'll take the risk and upgrade to Pro and see from there. The RemoteApp/RAIL stuff looks exactly like what I need. GPU acceleration would be nice though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's definitely something hosed up with the upcoming Windows 10 update. Whenever the computer idled for too long, it doesn't seem able to use Direct3D anymore. Yesterday I played some GTA, shortly after a reboot for whatever reasons, thing idled overnight, now it can't initialize the DirectX device. I had that with another game before, too.

I had that happen last night, but I'm on 1709/16299.371.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You happen to use NVidia hardware and run the latest driver?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't get Microsoft. I thought SMB Direct was relegated to the Workstation version only? I've upgraded from Home to Pro and it's listed as an installed feature. I'm on the April Update that's going public tomorrow.

Also, I've an Hyper-V feature that I'm currently using, and there's also a Windows Hypervisor Platform feature. What the hell is that?! --edit: Nevermind, third party interface.

--edit: Heh, RemoteFX 3D seems to work.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 29, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ah crap. RemoteApp doesn't work with RemoteFX, if you have a "weird" desktop setup on the host. I have a dual screen setup with 1440p twice, and RDP balks at that.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm pretty sure it is a bug with the latest Nvidia drivers, as I had the same problem until I rolled back a version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ayup.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Goddamn NVidia.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Yeah, this is how I know SYSTEM is being the big lil bitch. I really can't figure this out, wtf is Windows doing to the drive and how do I stop it

My wife's laptop has had this issue for about 6 months even after a fresh install. I've totally given up on fixing it. :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Your HD is broken. Im dead serious. I see ths all the time, look at the transfer rate while the drive is completely maxed out!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah that response time is hosed too even for a spinning disk.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

The RemoteFX GPU acceleration stuff for HyperV VMs, is that available and functional in Windows 10 Pro? I find half-assed conflicting information about it.

(e.g. Microsoft themselves mention that the host requirement would start at "just" Windows 10, but last I even looked at it, which granted was a while ago, didn't have anything of the sort.)

Would be interesting to know and have, so that I can shuffle annoying poo poo like Adobe Creative Cloud and its apps off into a VM.

Yes, I've used it on Windows 10 Pro. I also have a GTX 1080 installed. If you choose to use RemoteFX, it will disable the ability to use Enhanced Sessions.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

HECK YEAH 1803 TIME

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

HECK YEAH 1803 TIME

The media creation tool is called MediaCreationTool1803 which is handy.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Isn't the MCT always just going to pull whatever the latest version is off the servers? I'm pretty sure if you run an old exe you have sitting around it would download 1803 once it's officially available.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should I jump to the new update or just wait for the rollout?

Any outstanding bugs that are still around? Anything to fix the stupid Quick Access bug that's randomly hit me?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Will you use any of the new features? If not, wait.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

c0burn posted:

Isn't the MCT always just going to pull whatever the latest version is off the servers? I'm pretty sure if you run an old exe you have sitting around it would download 1803 once it's officially available.

Strangely no, they release a new version with each major release (and sometime in between, which grabs cumulative patches rolled into the ISO).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

HECK YEAH 1803 TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrykk7E_2i0

astral
Apr 26, 2004

c0burn posted:

It's more or less locked to the version it was created for (unless you selfhost a newer products.cab). You can check which version a MCT is for in its properties.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Should I jump to the new update or just wait for the rollout?

Any outstanding bugs that are still around? Anything to fix the stupid Quick Access bug that's randomly hit me?

Some settings say they're managed by insider preview. Even with the delay, they really rushed this. I'd personally recommend waiting at least until the first cumulative update is out for 1803 before jumping in unless one of the 1803 features is especially compelling for you.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just my anecdotal experience, but I updated 2 PCs with similar specs, one via windows update and one via media creation tool. The windows update install was about 10 times faster, media creation tool PC is still going :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The ISOs sizes for each (x86, x64 and Both) is hundreds of megabytes smaller than the Fall Creators Update. Any idea how or why that is?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Because MS keeps removing poo poo and telemetry isn't that big.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Yes, I've used it on Windows 10 Pro. I also have a GTX 1080 installed. If you choose to use RemoteFX, it will disable the ability to use Enhanced Sessions.
I hope that gets improved. Seems there's no reason to do it, if only one remote session's being allowed, anyway.

That said, things work surprisingly fast in RemoteApp sessions, at least for running Photoshop.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Because MS keeps removing poo poo and telemetry isn't that big.

I know they remove odds and ends but surely not to that degree? Is Windows itself getting streamlined in terms of the core OS?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The ISOs sizes for each (x86, x64 and Both) is hundreds of megabytes smaller than the Fall Creators Update. Any idea how or why that is?

Media Creation Tool ISOs are smaller than the ISOs you download from the Install Windows 10 page on Not Windows (or a browser on Windows with a forged user agent to make it look like Not Windows) because the MCT packs the install image in the ISO as an ESD and may include the image files for only a single edition of Windows, whereas the standard images on things like MSDN and Not Windows come with WIM install images including something like 11 different editions of Windows now (stuff like N, KN, Education, Workstation, things that personal users - who mostly have Core (un-suffixed) or Pro - don't really have to worry about). If they have the same edition set, then the size is down to ESD using a newer and tighter - albeit encrypted - compression format than WIM uses.

The standard images (Win10_1803_English_x64.iso, Win10_1709_English_x64.iso) are within a few megabytes of each other.

Also make sure you got a 64-bit version. The 32-bit versions are dramatically smaller, although that would be a gigabyte or more of difference.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 30, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

N, KN, and Workstation are all just feature entitlements, rather than separate editions, and can be installed using the MCT.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

Media Creation Tool ISOs are smaller than the ISOs you download from the Install Windows 10 page on Not Windows (or a browser on Windows with a forged user agent to make it look like Not Windows) because the MCT packs the install image in the ISO as an ESD and may include the image files for only a single edition of Windows, whereas the standard images on things like MSDN and Not Windows come with WIM install images including something like 11 different editions of Windows now (stuff like N, KN, Education, Workstation, things that personal users - who mostly have Core (un-suffixed) or Pro - don't really have to worry about). If they have the same edition set, then the size is down to ESD using a newer and tighter - albeit encrypted - compression format than WIM uses.

The standard images (Win10_1803_English_x64.iso, Win10_1709_English_x64.iso) are within a few megabytes of each other.

Also make sure you got a 64-bit version. The 32-bit versions are dramatically smaller, although that would be a gigabyte or more of difference.

I get all my ISOs from the MCT, and the size differences are still in the hundreds of MB from the equivalent edition of FCU. Interesting stuff though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not sure what the features are, honestly.

Does anyone know of a fix for Quick Access breaking? It removed all but Desktop and now it's just 100% broken.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm building a Home Theater PC out of an Intel NUC. Any cheap, legal ways to get a copy of win10 home/pro? I really don't want to spend $120 for a copy from Microsoft.

Googling a bit I found this:

https://www.keystoreonline.com/product/windows-10-pro-key/

Legit? I'll even settle for a dubious, but genuine key.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 1, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure what the features are, honestly.

N prevents you from having Windows Media Player and related programs installed until you download them from Microsoft, it was created for some bullshit EU rule.

K comes with links to "competing" media player and instant messenger software. It was created for some bullshit South Korean ruling.

KN combines the missing media player with the links to others from these two versions.

Workstation supports ReFS, non-volatile main system RAM, SMB Direct, and 4 physical CPU sockets + 6 TB of RAM in comparison to standard Windows 10 2 CPU sockets and 2 TB of RAM.

So of all these editions, only Workstation would actually need extra information installed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm building a Home Theater PC out of an Intel NUC. Any cheap, legal ways to get a copy of win10 home/pro? I really don't want to spend $120 for a copy from Microsoft.

SA-Mart

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Any company selling a key for $35 is not going to be legitimate

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Thanks! Found the thread.

Maneki Neko posted:

Meh. If it activates and is genuine, I'm ok with it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Interesting. After resetting Windows, I've reinstalled the regular Spotify version instead of the Project Centennial one for Windows Store. I always figured the lower framerate motion when dragging the window around was due to some fuckery from hiding the title bar, but the regular version moves supersmooth across the screen (144hz displays). So wrapping Win32 crap up into an AppX container has side effects?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Maneki Neko posted:

Dude, that ship sailed. Get any key, however the gently caress you want, activate it, get digital entitlement, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

N prevents you from having Windows Media Player and related programs installed until you download them from Microsoft, it was created for some bullshit EU rule.

K comes with links to "competing" media player and instant messenger software. It was created for some bullshit South Korean ruling.

KN combines the missing media player with the links to others from these two versions.

Workstation supports ReFS, non-volatile main system RAM, SMB Direct, and 4 physical CPU sockets + 6 TB of RAM in comparison to standard Windows 10 2 CPU sockets and 2 TB of RAM.

So of all these editions, only Workstation would actually need extra information installed.

Wait...what? I meant the features of the new update.