Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LLSix posted:

I like Kangaroos for their great leaps. I'm also bad with words, analytical thinking, and intuition. Basically, I'm dumber than the bones I carve. Which fits, because humans can actually jump higher than kangaroos and even in long jumping kangaroos only boast a 10% longer jump distance.

Are you saying that dwarfs should admire humans instead?

But yeah, it gets overlooked sometimes, because we mostly focus on stupid stuff like using tools, or living in a global society, but humans have remarkable skill, when it comes to running, jumping and throwing. Of course you have to put some effort and training into it.

I hate to be on the top of a page...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I’ve always heard about this game but never played it. Now I guess I can try to do so vicariously. Name a dwarf after me please. I’m curious on how spectacular a death I can achieve. Or! As someone with (sometimes really bad) PTSD, make my dwarf live as I have. So that an empty shell of a man sits alone getting hosed up on whatever’s handy and refuses to be a part of society.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dwarf me up.

Let's see if my namesake can do anything as cool as they did for Headshoots.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
To tide you guys over until I've finished writing up the next update(spoiler: more dwarves die), here's that lore update I promised:

In the time before time, great Geshud aided three demons in entering the world. But who were these demons, why did Geshud aid them, and what did they accomplish?

First off, we have the tortoise demon Atac Lieseduced the Youth of Birth:

Ruling from the Spry Bastion in Furhorror, he cannot be said to be a good son of Geshud. Though he rules the Mean Sin still, he has a kill count of a mere fourteen creatures, none important enough for us to even know who they were. Instead, most of his lifetime has been spent receiving various artifacts created or otherwise obtained by his servants, and then promptly storing them in his tower and forgetting about them. A failson holed up in his tower collecting toys.

Let us see if Geshud made a better choice in Kedusm Controlrule the Fleck of Judges:

We can see that he was a great menace who terrorized the Pick of Rooting, a dwarven civilization. The history of the Pick of Rooting ends in the year 47, so we must assume they were completely wiped out. Eventually, in the year 60, he was struck down by a great big bird that attacked his home. A great servant of Geshud, besides the beings named on that list, he also killed 51 other dwarves and 28 goblins.

Finally we have the tortoise demon Lish Sinfulblossom the Terrible Curses, presumably named for her foul language:

Besides taming giant olms, giant cave toads and cave crocodiles living in the depths of the earth, she also terrorized the Grasping Sling, a dwarven civilization, for about a century before settling down and busying herself with collecting artifacts like her brother Atac, and rules the Curse of Fighting still. Unlike her brother, she has a significant amount of kills, including 61 dwarves not listed here.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Ah how did I miss this? Request for Owlkill to be added to the hitlist please, I don’t mind what as.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Our mythology really likes tortoises, doesn't it. First we were attacked by a weretortoise quite early on and now it turns out our main god adopted two demonic tortoises.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

Instead, most of his lifetime has been spent receiving various artifacts created or otherwise obtained by his servants, and then promptly storing them in his tower

Our mission, should we choose to accept it. Invade a demon's tower and steal his stuff!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Well, we were planning an invasion but it ended up as an intervention, although the demon initially refused to recognize that he did not need over two thousand toy forges. However, we are happy to say that the demon will seek treatment for hoarding and the Apocalypse is now back on track.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
1st of Felsite
Oh great, Tunicate's throwing a tantrum. Well, I'm not too worried. What's the worst case, she punches somebody a bit before she calms down?

3rd of Felsite
She did, indeed punch somebody a bit before calming down. More specifically, she punched StrangeAeon in the head, repeatedly. One punch dropped the poor medic, and then Tunicate just kept punching.

It may please Geshud, but it displeases me to see dwarves murdering each other. We're supposed to kill foreigners, no each other. Justice will be had for the murder of Stra- Hey, why am I on the list????

NOOOOOOBLEEEEEEESSSSS

5th of Felsite
Another part of the paperwork I've been working on is going through reports on various injured dwarves. A few injured dwarves stand out for their serious injuries:

mercenarynuker: Badly injured left foot, as well as both lower arms

Grey Hunter: Injuries to left leg, right foot and beard

turol: Injuries all over, and a number of his wounds are festering.

HardDiskD: Just a crippled right hand, no other wounds.

SOLarian: Injuries all over, lower left arm is crippled but he can still wield a shield just fine.

Also, there's a worryingly low amount of booze left in the fort. We can't be having that!

12th of Felsite

Ho hum, Air is Lava! has created a masterwork, So Math has issued an export ban, a forgotten beast is invading, Tunicate is in cus- WAIT, A FORGOTTEN BEAST IS INVADING?

THAT'S IT, I'M LOCKING THE DOORS AND CALLING THE ARMY.

14th of Felsite

Fortunately, being a snail, it moves very slowly. The two nearest militia squads assembled as ordered near the staircase to the cavern. Their charge down the corridor was, well, I supposed I can charitably call it semi-glorious.

Also it turns out that we have two marksdwarf squads, but only the Rough Toes have been assigned any ammunition.

At first it seemed like we had the upper hand because Iquilaayanu moved so slowly, but then it jumped back into the lake(don't worry about Malachite_Dragon, he managed to clamber out before drowning).

It was much faster and more agile in the water, while our soldiers struggled to hit it when it attacked, before it disappeared back underwater.

Despite the despair setting in, SOLarian was undaunted and finally landed a good hit on the beast's head - a single, decisive blow.

19th of Felsite
Tunicate is locked away in our dungeons. I'm sure this won't negatively affect his mental stability whatsoever.

24th of Felsite
Got some more dwarves squared away in the Book of Names. I also wound up doing some work on the military, creating a new marksdwarf squad and, well, yielding to a certain someone's nagging and making official a new swordswarf squad as well. Then I assigned all the other non-assigned dwarves to the reserves. Anyway, the names:

Konomex, one of the soldiers:

Foul Ole Ron, another soldier:

Gridlocked, a leatherworker:

Eeeep, yet another soldier:

crimea, a dwarf with medical training:

Alehks, an old and frail dwarf who nevertheless insisted that she could become a great swordsdwarf despite never having wielded a sword before in her life:

27th of Felsite
Finally, we're seeing some progress on the cart path!

28th of Felsite
Apparently if you cut an undead arm in two, the severed part can reanimate and attack you. But eventually Commander Keene's reanimated arm is going to be chopped into pieces to fine to reanimate, so I'm not particularly worried.

1st of Hematite
It's summer! I feel my spirits lifting already. Some fellows have been worrying about Tunicate but I don't see why, she's been very calm lately.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

When did I break my hand? Will I still be able to use the crossbow? :ohdear:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I winced at that guy getting his leg broken in half by a toe bite. Who was that?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Tantrums already? That's usually something that starts to happen when a fortress is collapsing, isn't it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

Tantrums already? That's usually something that starts to happen when a fortress is collapsing, isn't it?

I'm not pointing any fingers, but a tyrannical toddler assigning everyone to the military may have made some folks unhappy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm not pointing any fingers, but a tyrannical toddler assigning everyone to the military may have made some folks unhappy.

While that probably did a lot, Tunicate's been on the edge since my turn. She really should have had all of her labors removed so she could scholar it up a long time ago.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Apparently, I'm much more notable in (un)death than I was in life.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
My Dwarf has been dreaming some eldritch horrors. Going to do some art work.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Facebook Aunt posted:

At least a bunch of tantrums where everyone has military training will be funny to watch, right?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Especially when the losers rejoin the competition.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I saw my name on that list of criminals. What did i do?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I officially became an engraver. Either I've been removed from the military or I've deserted, or possibly I'm just really neglecting my training because I don't want to learn to use a pointy stick.

At this point I have to admire my determination to keep out of trouble. At this rate I'll end up being the last survivor.

Wonder if I'll engrave anything interesting in the meantime.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Oh cool, military dwarf.

I'm really looking forward to when a tantrum spiral is set off with everyone skilled in weapons, and then their corpses get up again to keep up the fight.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Konomex posted:

Oh cool, military dwarf.

I'm really looking forward to when a tantrum spiral is set off with everyone skilled in weapons, and then their corpses get up again to keep up the fight.
Do kids get killed in a tantrum spiral?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Do kids get killed in a tantrum spiral?

Only if the tantruming dwarves catch them.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Dwarf me as Rutile please. Don't care if I'm a dwarf or dwarfette.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Nice, getting the killing blow on the forgotten beast. Now I just have to hope it didn't carry any dangerous syndroms....

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Nearly two weeks since last update, how many dwarves does we need to sacrifice to get the experiment rolling again?

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 11, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Rincewinds posted:

Nearly two weeks since last update, how many dwarves does we need to sacrifice to get the experiment rolling again?

As many as it takes, in the name of holy Geshud.

Can we get an update on what's going on, though? Has Boksi run into trouble, or just vanished?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Boksi's had two posts since the update, with the last on the 9th. They might just be busy.

Although at this point it might be worth considering having the next overseer take over just to keep things moving.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Haifisch

and

IPA Regulations

are the remaining overseers in the queue. Report to the Discord.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Grabbed the save. I'll be picking up where Boksi left off. :toot:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

dorf me

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Galena 19th, 568

Turns out the barkeep couldn't handle being in charge. I had the misfortune of standing around idle when he was looking for a way out, so I'm stuck with this gig now.

I might have been bribed with some drink. That and the potential to fix some of the things I've been bellyaching about for months.

But before I could do any of that, he kept babbling about maintaining the historical record, and handed me a pile of half-finished diary pages to fill out with whatever I remember. Sure, shouldn't take too long.

The legacy of Boksi, Former Overseer of Valleysilences:

Hematite 7th: Grisswold is out mining. Thrilling.

Ah, right, Malachite_Dragon's possession by the strange forces permeating the land. I vaguely remember that. At least it was a change of pace from the sparring drills.

And just in time for the human caravan. Why they come to this godforsaken hellhole is beyond me.

LLSix is seen here carving some minecart tracks. I don't buy into it. It's not proper dwarven tradition. Back in my day, we hauled everything by hand. All these wheelbarrows and mining carts are why dwarves these days are soft and weak, and

(The rest of the page is illegible furious/drunken scribbling.)

...and THAT'S why we need PROPER dwarves who follow the old ways, like taking a bunch of poo poo from the stockpiles and making mysterious constructions out of 'em!

Did we buy an udngi from the humans? We must've, what with it being important enough for the 'historical record' and all. Istrath knows what else we traded.

Commander Keene's corpse was still tottering around and giving everyone a fright. If only we had some sort of disposal system for all these corpses...

On Hematite 19th, Malachite_Dragon finished his mysterious construction, and it was a worthy addition to our collection. A fine iron crown featuring an image of itself, as all proper dwarven artifacts do. The smiths estimate it's worth 78,000, although none would dare trade away something like this.

One of our recruits got into it with a rabbit corpse. Ideas for a corpse disposal system are coming into focus. We need to stop this from happening. Although in the meantime, maybe we could dump grazing animals into the volcano...

Getting into the start of Malachite, we started getting questions concerning the whereabouts of A Record of Ropebar. Good loving luck with that.

A few days after the humans left, we had some trouble with raven corpses. And by 'trouble' I mean 'Balon exploded their heads with his bare hands.' Good lad.

After that, we went an entire month without anything happening. I'd call it ominous, but StrangeAeon's corpse didn't even see fit to move.

Minecart progress continued on Galena 1st.

But it hit a snag: All our mechanics are professional soldiers or Tunicate. Boksi made some mason into another mechanic to speed things along.

mercenarynuker's in bad shape - he has a cup but he can't grasp, and he's dehydrated.

And it was there, while Boski was contemplating how fleeting life is, that I got roped into this. What a mess.

Alright, first order of business is making sure I know who's who around here. And I see some dwarves skulking around without properly registered names.

The list Boksi gave me says Dog Kisser was missing from the Book of Names, but near as I can tell, he's been in it for quite a while.

Owlkisser seems a bit flimsy for a warrior, but she's dedicated to mastering the martial arts all the same.

GruntMountain has a strange fondness for nature, but is otherwise harmless.

Professor Bling is a simple gem cutter. She assures me that her professor title is a joke, and that she has no intentions of being a scholar. She also assures me that worshipping seven different gods is nothing to worry about.

Some dwarves saw fit to name their daughter after the late Yeol. I'm rather concerned that she's been allowed to run around drinking vomit.

And in a bit of a cruel joke, some other dwarves named their son after Commander Keene.

gbuchold was a somewhat disconcerting dwarf to talk to. It's probably for the best that she's a loner.

Despite her loner tendencies and lack of passions, she is somehow married to mcclay. Whatever works for them, I suppose.

The next family was StrangeAeon(who assured me she was no relation to the corpse outside the tavern) and BrotherBuer...

...and their daughter Arban.

May their family tree stay unbroken and free from undeath.

Dr Tough is not very tough at all. He assures me he'll try to get better.

...and he worships what, now?

That's not a god! That's just a titan! It hasn't even killed 10 people! Dwarves these days, worshipping anything that gives the smallest fright. Proper tradition says you should only worship the true gods, or else their wrath shall fall upon you greater than any titan.

Soulex is a soldier who constantly insists he is very drunk. He also worships the titan.

SirPhoebos is a swordsdwarf with dreams of being an artist. Poor fellow.

(That's it for Boksi's backlog, and this should be everyone on the dwarfing/redwarfing lists. We still have plenty of unnamed dwarves, so don't be shy about signing up for Fun!)

ziz
Jul 25, 2007
not exactly working in your best interests since 1984
Fallen Rib
Dorf me, please. A craftsdwarf of some sort, I'm not particular.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

quote:

Malachite_Dragon's possession by the strange forces permeating the land
I beg your pardon? :stare: first I'm hearing of this
e: gently caress yeah I made a thing :confuoot: shame I won't get a stat boost from it, if I remember how Possession works.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Well, I wish that stopping work due to emotional shock were a little less true to life, but oh well.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.
Sign me up chief.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Hooray, I made it to dwarfing! Albeit “Owlkisser” rather than “Owlkill” but, but no worries. I look forward to dying courageously but flimsily in the service of the fortress.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh wow, dwarf me! I've never been before, be gentle.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Owlkill posted:

Hooray, I made it to dwarfing! Albeit “Owlkisser” rather than “Owlkill” but, but no worries. I look forward to dying courageously but flimsily in the service of the fortress.

It's alright, you're in good company!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Owlkill posted:

Oops. I'll fix that once I play again.

Or not, if you think it's funnier this way. :v: