Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not a lot of content lately, here's one I got today

quote:

I recently inherited a decent amount of money from my grandfather. For the past couple weeks I have been searching for a way to prove something I have always been obsessed with is real: that supernatural beings exist and can be interacted with. I have been searching with various methods to find someone who can show me that I'm right in exchange for money. I started out with 5000 dollars but I have been upping it to try and get more serious bites. I'm willing to go pretty high but of course I want to be left with something afterward.

The rules are pretty simple to weed out the fakes: No drugs of any kind are allowed - I want to see a ghost/demon, not hallucinate one. Nobody born in the USA - they are far too likely to be fake psychics and stuff running a scam. If I can find one that passes my initial vetting process, I will give them a third of the money up front and the rest if they are successful (and/or in the event of my death from encountering whatever it is). For my part I am emphasizing that I will not be trying to record it and I am 100% serious and not just another "skeptic" trying to prove them wrong.

So far I've received two promising leads - one lady in Haiti, and another person who referred me to a village in rural India who supposedly has experience with this kind of thing. My main concern is that they're just going to scam or kill me and just take the money, or even worse I'll keep paying these people money and find out it's not real. I know goons will say that that's exactly what's going to happen, but all these beliefs in ghosts and demons didn't spring out of nowhere. At least someone out there has to have been telling the truth and weren't just high and hallucinating. Any honest advice?

I think you're going to get exactly what you're paying these people for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
We have mobile cameras, capable of taking photos and video, connected to us at all times. Despite this compelling evidence of the existence of the supernatural is no more present than it was 100 years ago.

And even if they did show you "something", whose say it may not just be someone in a costume or some sort of other trick?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Everyone knows vampires can't be photographed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd gladly take that guy up on it if I got the up front payment no matter what. Just tell him to go sit and chant in the middle of a forest for the whole night and take the deposit and run.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Lol that idiot is gonna get mugged and left in a ditch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gee, i wonder why a person in the poorest country in the western hemisphere might accept a business proposition to receive $1667 USD sight-unseen, with another $3333 on deck if you take him out in the woods and have a friend make spooky noises

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

quote:

all these beliefs in ghosts and demons didn't spring out of nowhere.
Except that yes, yes they did. We are a very inventive species. When faced with something that has no known explanation, we invent one.

Except for one thing, we are a very inventive species. So when two people that have no contact with each other face the same unexplained phenomenon, they come up with totally different guesses. No two unrelated cultures the world over have the same folklore. By contrast, scientific practices everywhere are the same. Scientists the world over have come up independently with the same laws, because those, unlike beliefs, are testable.

If you’re wrong about bridge building you’ll know pretty quick, whereas you could be wrong your whole life about the spirits in the cupboard and never know any better.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was once wrong about the Indian in the cupboard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

I was once wrong about the Indian in the cupboard.

That monstrous little boy created a deer just to be slaughtered. Disgusting.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
if i had money I would just hang with the Ghost Adventures dude and go to his haunted museum. also hes hot so we could like gently caress in a haunted building

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
there are plenty of haunted american places, so go to those before India or Haiti

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that's probably your best bet. Instead of paying someone to "show you" just take a trip around the US/world and hang out in "haunted" places and see if you see anything that proves they exist to you. It would be more fun than getting murdered for a few thousand dollars, anyways.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

but all these beliefs in ghosts and demons didn't spring out of nowhere.

Even in the off-chance that ghosts and demons exist, you still shouldn't use this kind of rationale. You can also go as far as ignore religion, mysticism, fear of death, and any social and cultural phenomena, or even assume any of them is true if you're a person of faith, but you're still left with:

* People who might have mistaken experiences. Sometimes a shadow in the wrong place, a visual illusion, or a strange noise in the dark can make people go wild.
* And then there are non-drug induced hallucinations, hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are not particularly rare for example.
* Same as above, but drug-induced throughout humanity's history.
* People might have invented stories for entertainment and they grew out of proportion, or context, or were mistranslated.
* Very exotic experiences that may seem spiritual in nature (such as OOB experiences) can have a neurological disorder component and they can also have extremely specific similarities between each other, which would make even skeptic people believe they might had experienced something supernatural.

I know you want to believe (tm) so you'll probably rationalize stuff but just because people invented it doesn't mean it's true, or that the component of truth behind it should be taken at face value.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 30, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There was no one there when I took the picture.

I'll take you there and maybe the ghost child will show again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ghosts and demons are both pretty obviously symbolic entities in mythology

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, that's probably your best bet. Instead of paying someone to "show you" just take a trip around the US/world and hang out in "haunted" places and see if you see anything that proves they exist to you. It would be more fun than getting murdered for a few thousand dollars, anyways.

idk I can kind of understand his apprehension about US-based hauntings. Unless it's like a native american burial ground that had a thing built over it it's a hard sell to say "this hospital built 200 years ago is totally haunted as poo poo, it has asbestos all over the place, so spooky mesothelioma". Plus even if you allow the possibility that actually haunted places exist, they aren't going to be the places that sell thousands of tickets to see them a year.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

yeah I eat rear end posted:

idk I can kind of understand his apprehension about US-based hauntings. Unless it's like a native american burial ground that had a thing built over it it's a hard sell to say "this hospital built 200 years ago is totally haunted as poo poo, it has asbestos all over the place, so spooky mesothelioma". Plus even if you allow the possibility that actually haunted places exist, they aren't going to be the places that sell thousands of tickets to see them a year.

Well considering its all made up poo poo, it probably is more advantageous to embark upon a location the individual in question personally believes is more likely to be haunted, since its all their own mind generating the effects anyways...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Why wouldn't 200 year old buildings have ghosts, assuming ghosts were a thing? Like, are old ghosts more ghost-y? Seems specious tbh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

loquacius posted:

Not a lot of content lately, here's one I got today

I think you're going to get exactly what you're paying these people for
Hello I am not American and will happily take $1,666.67 in return for showing you around a ruined castle reputed to be haunted.

Seriously we're riddled with the things over here.

e: I 100% guarantee I will not murder you. Manslaughter not off the table. Some of these castles are not exactly what you'd call safe.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 30, 2018

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008
there is not a single mystical, divine, supernatural or any other kind of belief that is not supported by numerous cases of eyewitness evidence. humans love making poo poo up and our brains like fooling us and actively work against us when it comes to stuff like this. there is no such thing as ghosts or demons or unicorns or anything else like that, dont waste your money. they are absolutely going to kill you

the argument that it didnt just spring up from nowhere when humans are known for making all kinds of poo poo up from nowhere doesnt really hold, especially once the idea spreads and then gets backed up by other people because they already believe its real so of course the shadow they saw was a demon and the mentally ill person they saw was possessed by the devil and the pan that fell out of the cupboard was a ghost

a great example is aliens and UFOs, every encounter is always exactly like what you see in the media and exactly like what was described back when roswell happened. sure is a weird coincidence that disc shaped UFOs and "greys" became the standard encounter right after that idea was introduced to the masses

discarded box fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 30, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Android Blues posted:

Why wouldn't 200 year old buildings have ghosts, assuming ghosts were a thing? Like, are old ghosts more ghost-y? Seems specious tbh.

I am just basing this on the fact that most of the horror movies i've seen where the real poo poo goes down is always something from like 3000 years ago like a sumerian idol or whatever. It's just easier to believe some ancient history thing is haunted than someone maybe your great grandfather might have helped build.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If ironclad proof of the supernatural were available for a few thousand bucks we'd be living in a VERY different world. :lol:

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Ask the guy who confessed earlier that Vincent Price is haunting their home how much they're willing to pay for.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
James Randi has been offering millions for like, 20 years and the best anyone came up with was that one youtube video where the orangutan freaks out after being shown sleight of hand. bitch

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
folks like anything that explains the poo poo they cant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Splicer posted:

Hello I am not American and will happily take $1,666.67 in return for showing you around a ruined castle reputed to be haunted.

Seriously we're riddled with the things over here.

e: I 100% guarantee I will not murder you. Manslaughter not off the table. Some of these castles are not exactly what you'd call safe.

I've got 2 weeks of vacation left this year, what country are you in? I may take you up on your Haunted Castle Ghost and Balance Seminar.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
if ghosts aren't real then how the gently caress do you explain Boo Berry

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Danaru posted:

if ghosts aren't real then how the gently caress do you explain Boo Berry

boo berry is a specter, totally different and very scientific

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
come to europe for we are haunted by the spectre of communism and have much more atmospheric buildings that more people have died in

i had a brief period where i solidly believed in ghosts and thought it was obvious that if a ghost could haunt a place then surely it could haunt a computer and what if my computer is full of dead people making adobe flash player run like poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

If I was a ghost, I would haunt a wealthy living person's mansion, drive them out and take that poo poo for myself

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

SciFiDownBeat posted:

If I was a ghost, I would haunt a wealthy living person's mansion, drive them out and take that poo poo for myself
Worst case is you help create another Winchester Mystery House, which, according to legend the tourist-trap tour guides, was built to appease the ghosts of all the people killed by Winchester rifles, who were supposedly haunting the mansion's occupant.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure my bowels are haunted because I’ve been spraying ectoplasm out my rear end every day for a while now. I accept paypal or bitcoins.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

soy posted:

Pretty sure my bowels are haunted because I’ve been spraying ectoplasm out my rear end every day for a while now. I accept paypal or bitcoins.

Has the face of Jesus appeared in the toilet bowl?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Odd posted:

James Randi has been offering millions for like, 20 years and the best anyone came up with was that one youtube video where the orangutan freaks out after being shown sleight of hand. bitch

Not that the confessor is any less of a moron, but there are people who think you have to be a ~tru believer~ to find/see a ghost, otherwise they will hide from you. It's obviously just an excuse and it's all still fake, but maybe that's the attitude the guy is approaching it with.

Anyway I should hook him up with my sister-in-law, she swears her house is haunted and so does the rest of her family. There are regularly spooky occurrences like "sometimes we hear a noise at night" or "sometimes the light goes out". Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me but maybe it's enough for this guy.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

* People might have invented stories for entertainment and they grew out of proportion, or context.
You’re thinking of slenderman aren’t you?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Odd posted:

Food for thought though: Randi retired the contest (likely because proof of the supernatural is just around the corner!)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DandyLion posted:

Food for thought though: Randi retired the contest (likely because proof of the supernatural is just around the corner!)

Eventually you're gonna get sick of the latest kook flipping their poo poo at you.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

discarded box posted:

there is no such thing as ghosts or demons or unicorns or anything else like that

unicorns are real they're just extinct. if we can clone a wooly mammoth we can probably bring them back. ghosts are probably fake though, we don't have any ghost fossils

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Son of Man posted:

unicorns are real they're just extinct. if we can clone a wooly mammoth we can probably bring them back. ghosts are probably fake though, we don't have any ghost fossils

What do you think air is? We're breathing in dead ghosts all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unicorns are actually called rhinos.