Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

there's huge problems with the US police and we need to treat our cops as any other US citizen, and not let them be exempt from having to follow any laws. there should also not be city-wide riots where people pillage and wreck everything around them with the excuse of "a man died." Nobody should get a free pass to destroy their town, or steal from anyone or any establishment. we must convict cops that murder the people they are supposed to protect.

The reason those riots happen is because the cops aren't convicted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing is though that any amount of riots aren't going to fix that. It's an understandable reaction, but not a productive one.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Which gets to my unpopular opinion: Unions are poo poo, but public sector unions are a special breed of poo poo. Universally all these bad cops are protected by the union. Information about the poo poo acts of bad cops are hidden from the press by the union. Any reform is met with intense backlash from the union and all other public sector unions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should have designated "towns" filled with gas stations and mom and pop stores specifically designed for people to riot in. Then, whenever a cop kills a kid, someone just has to file the correct paperwork to get issued a "riot permit" and then bus everyone to the riot town to blow off steam.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Which gets to my unpopular opinion: Unions are poo poo, but public sector unions are a special breed of poo poo. Universally all these bad cops are protected by the union. Information about the poo poo acts of bad cops are hidden from the press by the union. Any reform is met with intense backlash from the union and all other public sector unions.

I agree especially regarding the police union. Unions should protect their members from unfair treatment from their employers, not obstruct criminal investigations into them. Also internal affairs cops don't deserve nearly the bad reputation they have among other cops and their powers should be expanded immensely if the police ever want to solve their problems. The way things are the IA cops seem to assist in obstructing their own investigations because they don't want to be known as the cop who put another cop in prison which would put their career in jeapordy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

We should have designated "towns" filled with gas stations and mom and pop stores specifically designed for people to riot in. Then, whenever a cop kills a kid, someone just has to file the correct paperwork to get issued a "riot permit" and then bus everyone to the riot town to blow off steam.

I was thinking about the same thing kind of. Like a theme park where you and a group of friends can set things on fire and blow poo poo up for a fee and a signature on a liability waiver.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I was thinking about the same thing kind of. Like a theme park where you and a group of friends can set things on fire and blow poo poo up for a fee and a signature on a liability waiver.

That's literally the place in Pinocchio where little boys turn into donkies.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I love Westworld. If a prison of our own sins does not exist, then it is necessary to invent one

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's literally the place in Pinocchio where little boys turn into donkies.

Sounds pretty nice but if I pay extra can I skip the whole donkey part?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Riots” won the civil rights movement.

Never mind that the difference between a “protest” and a “riot” relies more on media coverage and police response than it does the actual actions or causes of those involved.

We have this weird idea now that a Good protest is just people politely standing aside and singing kumbaya. Reality is that the strength of protests, riots, strikes, etc is that they hurt. “Make a change or this will continue.”

I’m not saying the poor sap who owns the corner store that got a brick thrown through it is to blame, but he’ll be fine.

Also unions are good, but yeah the police unions specifically suck. By becoming a police officer you accept a different standard of scrutiny. You accept risk because your duty is to protect and serve your commnity. Your life, indeed, matters less. That is the heroism that (should) be associated with being an officer.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Apr 30, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“Riots” won the civil rights movement.

Never mind that the difference between a “protest” and a “riot” relies more on media coverage and police response than it does the actual actions or causes of those involved.

We have this weird idea now that a Good protest is just people politely standing aside and singing kumbaya. Reality is that the strength of protests, riots, strikes, etc is that they hurt. “Make a change or this will continue.”

I’m not saying the poor sap who owns the corner store that got a brick thrown through it is to blame, but he’ll be fine.

Not that your larger point is exactly wrong, but he probably won't be.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think the difference between then and now though is that our police in major cities are so much more advanced than they were back then and are basically entirely militarized and capable of shutting down any riot whenever they want to. The riots aren't hurting them, they are only hurting the community. You might think smashing up a CVS hurts the company's bottom line, but the reality is one store is nothing to companies that big.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just give the CVS employees rifles

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Been known to work:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
a cop shooting an innocent person is a crime so far worse than some shop windows getting smashed up, the only reason they're ever equated is to create a false "both sides" narrative that excuses the cops. And when people say like, "it's understandable but not productive" like they got some fuckin five point plan for guaranteed social change. "Oh jeez, people who are basically an occupied population and live in fear of some loving cop destroying your life or murdering you, you aren't doing political action right. You vote for Democrats every two years and write letters to the editor. That's what I do and I don't have any problems"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I think the difference between then and now though is that our police in major cities are so much more advanced than they were back then and are basically entirely militarized and capable of shutting down any riot whenever they want to. The riots aren't hurting them, they are only hurting the community. You might think smashing up a CVS hurts the company's bottom line, but the reality is one store is nothing to companies that big.

The community being hurt is part of the point. Riots are literally a mass of people retaliating against a polity for neglecting them. They happen when people are backed into a point where the only chance to be heard is through violence.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the whitest opinion in the thread:

Solice Kirsk posted:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
shooting innocent people is bad, rioting is also bad. if the riots ever solved anything, we wouldnt keep having riots because these innocent people wouldn't keep getting killed

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mu Zeta posted:

loving lol if you think CVS employees would defend the store

This whole page is just a bunch of sheltered libs who don't want to comfront the ugly reality of their society

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

spit on my clit posted:

shooting innocent people is bad, rioting is also bad. if the riots ever solved anything, we wouldnt keep having riots because these innocent people wouldn't keep getting killed

In the real world we don't get to just throw everything into two simple piles labeled "good" and "bad". When a riot happens, that's bad, but a riot is always the symptom of a problem, usually that the needs of a large group of people are being ignored. The riot itself is not the problem, it never just crops up out of nowhere.

The shooting of innocent people by police IS a problem in and of itself. Riots don't exist in a vacuum, you don't get to say "that's not a productive way to solve the problem", when you're talking about a problem that's being ignored by all the people that have the power to solve it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

The community being hurt is part of the point. Riots are literally a mass of people retaliating against a polity for neglecting them. They happen when people are backed into a point where the only chance to be heard is through violence.

I just think if your issue is with the cops, you should be attacking the cops and politicians, not local business owners. Does ruining someone's livelihood who probably even agrees with you make cops and politicians stop doing what they do? No, it just hurts people who have very little to do with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think the difference between then and now though is that our police in major cities are so much more advanced than they were back then and are basically entirely militarized and capable of shutting down any riot whenever they want to. The riots aren't hurting them, they are only hurting the community.
That's the whole point. How would attacking the police work? The problem is political. The effectiveness of rioting is that the people in charge are forced to instigate change because it's the only way to stop the riots.

spit on my clit posted:

if the riots ever solved anything, we wouldnt keep having riots
"If ibuprofen ever solved anything we wouldn't keep having headaches."

I just think if your issue is with the cops, you should be attacking the cops
How?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

"If ibuprofen ever solved anything we wouldn't keep having headaches."

you're equating murder to a headache

people are more than a headache

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
If they don't riot, no one ever listens to anyone from Sandtown-Winchester.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's weird but advantageous that there are more ways to kill a person than to kill a headache

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

That's the whole point. How would attacking the police work? The problem is political. The effectiveness of rioting is that the people in charge are forced to instigate change because it's the only way to stop the riots.

How?

Put your money where your mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting dead cops, so....do that instead of meaningless gestures? I don't support killing cops, but at least be honest to your ideology. If you want all "pigs" to die, then don't beat around the bush, do it.

But they won't, because they aren't convicted to their beliefs enough to go to prison/die for it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Put your money where your mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting dead cops, so....do that instead of meaningless gestures? I don't support killing cops, but at least be honest to your ideology. If you want all "pigs" to die, then don't beat around the bush, do it.

But they won't, because they aren't convicted to their beliefs enough to go to prison/die for it.

Oh my god

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gleebster posted:

If they don't riot, no one ever listens to anyone from Sandtown-Winchester.

if they do riot, people will look at the people in that town and say "glad im not there"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I just think if your issue is with the cops, you should be attacking the cops and politicians, not local business owners. Does ruining someone's livelihood who probably even agrees with you make cops and politicians stop doing what they do? No, it just hurts people who have very little to do with it.

Most of these riots take place because of problems that are much more important than a storefront or some merchandise. These are "our society is sick and it needs to be burned down to the foundation and rebuilt" kind of problems. When it has to happen, it's a bad thing, but it's bad because of what led the community to that point, not the act itself.

Now, I graduated from a college where entitled white kids rioted because we lost a basketball game so obviously every circumstance isn't exactly the same.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Most of these riots take place because of problems that are much more important than a storefront or some merchandise. These are "our society is sick and it needs to be burned down to the foundation and rebuilt" kind of problems. When it has to happen, it's a bad thing, but it's bad because of what led the community to that point, not the act itself.

Now, I graduated from a college where entitled white kids rioted because we lost a basketball game so obviously every circumstance isn't exactly the same.

In the real world, all riots are are an excuse for the local police department to request a bigger budget.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
people dont care about the reason for the riot, all they want is to loot and burn poo poo. people come from out of town, even from different states just to participate in this crap. they dont care about whoever died or whoevers football team lost, it's all the same to them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger was less embarrassing than this

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Let's not get crazy here.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm a pacifist but if your first interaction with a truly lovely situation and the poo poo that gave rise to it is when a riot has broken out, your thoughts on the subject are too drat late.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Explain how a riot where you loot businesses and destroy private property hurts the police in any way and doesn't just give them more fuel to demand more funding and become even more armed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
“Instead of rioting why don’t you just shoot a cop?”

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'm going to have to say that this post is ridiculous. Setting aside how literally every society ever has had riots and unrest, and the complete lack of sympathy for people who get caught up in violent clashes beyond their control; you are literally calling for the collapse of society.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Explain how a riot where you loot businesses and destroy private property hurts the police in any way and doesn't just give them more fuel to demand more funding and become even more armed.

The goal isn't to "hurt the police" you loving dullard

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The goal isn't to "hurt the police" you loving dullard

yeah its to take all the poo poo you can amongst the chaos

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rioters are scum and should be shot by local businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Martin Luther King Jr. posted:

Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non­-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.
man there's some really lovely opinions itt masquerading as 'unpopular'