Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

an actual dog posted:

I also hate children

Same

But these kids are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yes. Music is choice.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This poo poo rules

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

hell astro course posted:

I like how 'gears' are basically just a visual metaphor, because most good anime uses a ton of visual metaphor...

I'm gonna say the opposite and note how glad I am that they're not just visual metaphor but that the show is giving them a bit of weight, so that when Joe takes a bunch with no gear of his own it knocks the poo poo out of him and he struggles to get up from a single punch. One that didn't even land clean going by dialogue. And when he does get up you can see that he's still thrown by it, both because he's instinctively afraid of getting the same again despite his apparent desire and because his hearing and sight are rattled for the rest of the fight.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean they exist as both. joe going gearless is an ultimate expression of the class struggle in the background of this show, but it also fundamentally changes the dynamics of his fights with real repercussions on the story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't get over how much this show loving nails the 2000s aesthetic while still applying modern techniques.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

i mean they exist as both. joe going gearless is an ultimate expression of the class struggle in the background of this show, but it also fundamentally changes the dynamics of his fights with real repercussions on the story.

Oh I know, that's why I said "not just a visual metahphor".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm gonna say the opposite and note how glad I am that they're not just visual metaphor but that the show is giving them a bit of weight, so that when Joe takes a bunch with no gear of his own it knocks the poo poo out of him and he struggles to get up from a single punch. One that didn't even land clean going by dialogue. And when he does get up you can see that he's still thrown by it, both because he's instinctively afraid of getting the same again despite his apparent desire and because his hearing and sight are rattled for the rest of the fight.

that was cool but at the same time it had me wondering what the difference is between that and when he was getting hit in the face with his gear on earlier. it's not like the gear actually protects anything it's not covering

probably not something they put a lot of thought into and I guess I shouldn't either

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe gear has some sort of shock absorption system, since it does cover some of the back/neck area. also having it at least gives you a more reasonable chance to parry or dampen blows.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

dogsicle posted:

maybe gear has some sort of shock absorption system, since it does cover some of the back/neck area. also having it at least gives you a more reasonable chance to parry or dampen blows.

maybe they all secretly live on mars and need to use gears to punch harder due to the lower gravity

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

that was cool but at the same time it had me wondering what the difference is between that and when he was getting hit in the face with his gear on earlier. it's not like the gear actually protects anything it's not covering

Quite sure he got right proper rocked when he got hit in the head or body regardless.

The gear definitely helps absorb blows. That's why the battery overheated even though he spend a whole round just defending against the first guy.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Ranzear posted:

Quite sure he got right proper rocked when he got hit in the head or body regardless.

The gear definitely helps absorb blows. That's why the battery overheated even though he spend a whole round just defending against the first guy.

Plus, his gear was a bunch of scrap. Even when he had it, he still took a lot of damage from blows, particularly from Yuri, who has the state-of-the-art gear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he clearly took way more damage without the gear from a body blow than he did to the face with it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

he clearly took way more damage without the gear from a body blow than he did to the face with it

He blocked that blow with his forearms. Whenever he used Gear, that worked fine, because it’s literally just a powered exoskeleton for your arms. This time, it really didn’t. That’s understandably terrifying.

And no, that headshot did much more damage - it instantly knocked him out, whereas he could actually recover from this one.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

tsob posted:

There really isn't any clear difference between a rich boxer and a poor boxer in real life, so it works brilliantly in making that visible. I also like that the gear has a physical impact on the fights rather than just an aesthetic one. That differentiates it from other boxing movies.

As devices used for boxing, they don't really make sense, though. These things hit like sledgehammers and are prone to malfunctioning, so it's bound to be incredibly lethal. Also, fights would always be over incredibly quickly since there's no way to turn them into battles of attrition. It's fun to watch in the anime. I just think it's wise that the show doesn't go into any technical details because it probably wouldn't hold up to any scrutiny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

And More posted:

There really isn't any clear difference between a rich boxer and a poor boxer in real life, so it works brilliantly in making that visible. I also like that the gear has a physical impact on the fights rather than just an aesthetic one. That differentiates it from other boxing movies.

As devices used for boxing, they don't really make sense, though. These things hit like sledgehammers and are prone to malfunctioning, so it's bound to be incredibly lethal. Also, fights would always be over incredibly quickly since there's no way to turn them into battles of attrition. It's fun to watch in the anime. I just think it's wise that the show doesn't go into any technical details because it probably wouldn't hold up to any scrutiny.

I agree, gladiatorial bloodsports have never been a thing in human history. Megaloboxing is a return to the good old days of duelling with lethal (or semi-lethal) weapons as a spectator sport. It’s a fine articulation of how poo poo the world has become.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

joe literally made his career out of losing fights though

shady underground fights at that

it's obviously nonlethal

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

it's obviously nonlethal

Funnily enough, there were actually jobber gladiators as well who knew how to take dramatic but not crippling hits. Killing the other guy was not the main goal in those matches either, or in the medieval melees where they fought with blunted swords (translation - they hit each other with giant fuckoff metal bars). It’s the risk of death or mutilation that makes it exciting for the audience.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Darth Walrus posted:

I agree, gladiatorial bloodsports have never been a thing in human history. Megaloboxing is a return to the good old days of duelling with lethal (or semi-lethal) weapons as a spectator sport. It’s a fine articulation of how poo poo the world has become.

As you pointed out above, gladiators were all about showmanship, while this is treated as an actual sport. It's also completely different in that a fancy sword doesn't really impact how good of a fighter you are. I think that's why the comparison to Redline is apt. It's basically an absurdly lethal version of F1, but because of this it also doesn't make sense as a sport.

ninjewtsu posted:

it's obviously nonlethal

By the same token, putting teens in giant man-shaped robots is sensible. Everything is possible in anime. Doesn't mean it makes much sense or holds up to scrutiny.

The anime is still good. Just thought I should stress that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

And More posted:

As you pointed out above, gladiators were all about showmanship, while this is treated as an actual sport. It's also completely different in that a fancy sword doesn't really impact how good of a fighter you are. I think that's why the comparison to Redline is apt. It's basically an absurdly lethal version of F1, but because of this it also doesn't make sense as a sport.

By the same token, putting teens in giant man-shaped robots is sensible. Everything is possible in anime. Doesn't mean it makes much sense or holds up to scrutiny.

The anime is still good. Just thought I should stress that.

I suppose the medieval tourneys are a better analogy. They were genuine, absurdly dangerous sports with elaborate rules where your gear quality was quite important.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 2, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Darth Walrus posted:

I suppose the medieval tourneys are a better analogy. They were genuine, absurdly dangerous sports with elaborate rules where your gear quality was quite important.

I'm not really an expert on either, but medieval melee also had a big aspect of showmanship to it, if I'm not mistaken. It's quite different from the trial by combat in that it is just as much about showing off valour as it is about actual skill in combat.

edit: If you've got some more info on this, I'd be willing to learn more, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 2, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

And More posted:

I'm not really an expert on either, but medieval melee also had a big aspect of showmanship to it, if I'm not mistaken. It's quite different from the trial by combat in that it is just as much about showing off valour as it is about actual skill in combat.

edit: If you've got some more info on this, I'd be willing to learn more, though.

Tourneys were definitely serious competitions. William Marshal got ludicrously rich from capturing and ransoming knights he defeated during them.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Darth Walrus posted:

Tourneys were definitely serious competitions. William Marshal got ludicrously rich from capturing and ransoming knights he defeated during them.

I'm not sure what this article is supposed to tell me. I took away from it that equipment and winning were not nearly as important as skill and honour. One guy even donates equipment to another party when they show up without their gear. At the end of the article, they stress that tourneys served to establish honourable behaviour on battlefields.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

And More posted:

I'm not sure what this article is supposed to tell me. I took away from it that equipment and winning were not nearly as important as skill and honour. One guy even donates equipment to another party when they show up without their gear. At the end of the article, they stress that tourneys served to establish honourable behaviour on battlefields.

That’s the window-dressing. Pay more attention to the fact that a landless kid like Marshall could become one of the richest men in England by capturing nobles. That’s the sort of thing that any feudal culture takes incredibly seriously.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, y'all are basically both right about this, to my understanding. it was a serious sporting event for some, and a giant dickwaving contest for others, and the latter group would usually get owned by the former.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Those two things aren't even mutually exclusive. You can take a dangerous, potentially lethal sport incredibly seriously and treat it as a giant dickwaving competition.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

paragon1 posted:

Those two things aren't even mutually exclusive. You can take a dangerous, potentially lethal sport incredibly seriously and treat it as a giant dickwaving competition.

Marshall clearly had the skills to pay the bills and so did count Philip. They're pretty interesting dudes, and I wouldn't mind learning more about them.

I just think there's an inherent disparity between the knightly sense of honour and the arms race going on in Megalo Box. If Joe didn't have gear in medieval times, an honourable rival would provide equipment for him. The fact that there is actual input lag in the gear makes Joe's fight with Yuri meaningless. We don't know how much of Yuri's victory was based on skill and how much of it was based on his superior tech.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's a combo of the technology, the user's skill, and the team behind him. I guess it's more like F1 than a real sport...

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Given anything to do with Joe is actually about class warfare in addition to the boxing, I guess I should've expected an episode about mistreated veterans at some point.

This show is so good y'all.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That gun scene, holy poo poo.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This was a pretty heavy episode bloody hell

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked the reuse of the butterfly-in-the-eye.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

float like a butterfly sting like a bomb to the face

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This episode was incredibly heavy. I mostly like where it went, although I think showing us the gun rather than implying it may have been a little too on the nose. I already got the message from the scene where the two trainers are talking at the graveyard.

That said, maybe I should have expected this to be an anime that'd punch me squarely in the face with its ideas.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Welp. I had been hearing rumblings the show was getting a tad too archetypal, but drat if it didn't get real w the quickness this week.

Enjoyed lots of the lil touches this ep, like "Gearless" Joe gettin some ringside fans, and young Nanbu lookin like if Ash Ketchem had a dad who was also a gym leader.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Azza Bamboo posted:

This episode was incredibly heavy. I mostly like where it went, although I think showing us the gun rather than implying it may have been a little too on the nose. I already got the message from the scene where the two trainers are talking at the graveyard.

That said, maybe I should have expected this to be an anime that'd punch me squarely in the face with its ideas.

I think there was something very visceral and important in showing his panic and desperation rather than implying it. The show is trying to make a point about the terrible struggles that veterans face, and having anything less than a direct portrayal is doing a disservice to that message.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I honestly was stupefied when the episode ended cause it felt like we were just 12 minutes in

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I honestly was stupefied when the episode ended cause it felt like we were just 12 minutes in

This was my reaction. "Where's the other half of the the episode?" This show is good.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Yeah that episode was much heavier than I was ready for from the drip feed of real life the shows had so far. I'm still blown away by this show episode to episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love how they did that cut. They spend the whole episode building up to it and yet they play it very straight and simple. It's really devastating.

• Locked thread