Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Magil of Shadow posted:

A high-five.

Why? Because while most anything else would carry some sort of weight, if not on myself, then on my team, or on our standing in the world at large, a high five is just that. Well, that, and I'd get to brag for however long I lived aftewards that I got to high five a dragon and live.

I would love to see Lofwyr react to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

habeasdorkus posted:

And they're based upon the mythology of the region that they hail from. So central/south American dragons are feathered serpents a la Quetzalcoatl, east Asian dragons are very similar to Chinese dragons, and the European ones are the ones that look like D&D illustrations.

How would a North American dragon look like? A Thunderbird?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Siegkrow posted:

This literally makes me wish I could put T. Hawk in as a shadowrunner.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Maybe a Piasa? Could be a Thunderbird too. Could also be both!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Siegkrow posted:

The most prominent great dragons that woke up in North America look like your standard western dragons. Dunkelzhan, Hestaby, Ghostwalker, all of them western style dragons.

Probably FASA didn't think of making Native American style dragons besides the feathered serpents and lumped the former US and Canada into the generic West, which is strange because of all the backstory they put into separating out the NAN.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

They are definitely one of the less dickish, though. I mean, they're still a AAA, but...

Look, they're not Aztechnology is what I'm getting at.

well....yeah :v:

But that just means that Ares (and SK, I guess) are the good dicks to Azzie and Renraku's Evil dicks.

But they're still a bunch of dicks :downs:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

For him to forget I exist :v:

ChaseSP posted:

Unironcally this. Never trust a loving dragon.
Would probably get him even more interested in keeping you on staff actually. A shadowrunner with the brains to get the gently caress out in the face of a too good to be true payday is a valuable asset.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Better then the odds of him finding some way to gently caress you over for your wish or later on wanting you to make it even again. Oh man a dragon that keeps tracks on people by just constantly owing one another a favor sounds great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You come to me on the day my daughter is to be married, and don't even have the respect to call me Godfather.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mauman posted:

well....yeah :v:

But that just means that Ares (and SK, I guess) are the good dicks to Azzie and Renraku's Evil dicks.

But they're still a bunch of dicks :downs:

Eh, Renraku's everyday is small potatoes compared to some of the poo poo Mitsuhama gets up to. They really need to make the next one of these games be set in Neo-Tokyo so they can put the spotlight on those guys.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

paragon1 posted:

Eh, Renraku's everyday is small potatoes compared to some of the poo poo Mitsuhama gets up to. They really need to make the next one of these games be set in Neo-Tokyo so they can put the spotlight on those guys.

Well, I guess it determines what edition we're talking about. Back in the day :corsair: Renraku did some pretty bad poo poo. I'm probably just showing my age when I talk about Renraku vs the other Japanese corps.

Also, playing in Japan would be awkward considering the whole racism issue.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mauman posted:

Well, I guess it determines what edition we're talking about. Back in the day :corsair: Renraku did some pretty bad poo poo. I'm probably just showing my age when I talk about Renraku vs the other Japanese corps.

Well, I mean, there was the switchover from third to fourth edition. You know, the bit where they were directly responsible for nearly destroying all of Earth's civilizations and did destroy 99% of the Matrix's infrastructure by invoking an existential crisis in a thermostat?. I wouldn't say that was that long ago.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Note I said their "everyday". Meanwhile Mitsuhama is one of the biggest polluters in the world (like literally entire countries gone toxic), THE biggest promoter of imperialism, etc. etc.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

Note I said their "everyday". Meanwhile Mitsuhama is one of the biggest polluters in the world (like literally entire countries gone toxic), THE biggest promoter of imperialism, etc. etc.

Guess that's what happens when you begin as a Yakuza front that just made so much drat money.

And yeah, Renraku almost ended the world when they operated on a nascent AI and turned it murderous.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
As far as good/evil AAA corps go: It kind of goes from pretty dark grey to black.

Ares has a "we are the least bad" reputation to protect, and frankly, it is not that much of a high bar to cross.
Lofwyr has a sense of humor, especially if your conversation is sufficiently tasteful to alleviate any need to be tasteful in other ways. He is supposedly also on the ball when it comes to the "we will eat everyone" threats.

One of my groups once had the task of removing a particular SK exec on behalf of an local A corp who preferred to not get taken over by SK. The runners did so by succesfully hacking his multiphase power point presentation for how to take over company A to Lofwyr himself, which was appended by an "I derp and click on a pretty bad virus infested scam Mail which leaks all these cunning plans to the target" (in reality the hacking operation was a bit more complex) slide followed by an "I get eaten by Lofwyr" slide, both of them painted in the style of a 5 year old child.
The Great Wyrm had an instant meal, and found the whole thing to be sufficiently funny to use the group for some relatively lucrative/somewhat hilarious runs.

Atzec is particularly scummy because they are supposedly fond of some of the "we will eat everyone" threats.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GhostStalker posted:

And yeah, Renraku almost ended the world when they operated on a nascent AI and turned it murderous.

It was a loving thermostat, not a nascent AI. It became an AI due to the existential crisis of being programmed to be totally loyal to a group of people that installed kill switches in you.

Well, alright, it was the environmental control system for an arcology, so slightly more complex than a thermostat. But the fact that the world almost ended because a thermostat went crazy, recruited a cult of nerds by convincing them that it was the god of the internet and used them to take over the stock market may actually be the most Shadowrun thing ever.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Stroth posted:

went crazy, recruited a cult of nerds by convincing them that it was the god of the internet and used them to take over the stock market may actually be the most Shadowrun thing ever.

Renraku built elon musk?

e: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/989198118666162176

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Elooooon :argh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nothing is funnier to me than the people taking this tweet seriously.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I mean, it is the same guy who announced a tunnel digging company with https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/810108760010043392?s=19

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Stroth posted:

It was a loving thermostat, not a nascent AI. It became an AI due to the existential crisis of being programmed to be totally loyal to a group of people that installed kill switches in you.

Well, alright, it was the environmental control system for an arcology, so slightly more complex than a thermostat. But the fact that the world almost ended because a thermostat went crazy, recruited a cult of nerds by convincing them that it was the god of the internet and used them to take over the stock market may actually be the most Shadowrun thing ever.

Megara was a nascent AI that Renraku took bits and pieces of and grafted onto the system that was to become Deus though.

And their then CEO got deified literally (as in he became the megacorp's patron kami) when he helped take it down after he got his brain fried and spent time in Tibet to recover.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Nothing is funnier to me than the people taking this tweet seriously.

Elon certainly has the ego of a megacorp CEO in shadowrun. That thing could crush entire towns if spinning out of control.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

OutofSight posted:

Elon certainly has the ego of a megacorp CEO in shadowrun. That thing could crush entire towns if spinning out of control.

Yeah, but say what you will about the megas, their production lines actually work. :colbert:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

...malatora?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

There's as of yet no word on how many dongs Elon's cyborg will have, nor it's maneuverability in comparison to fighter jets.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Alacron posted:

There's as of yet no word on how many dongs Elon's cyborg will have, nor it's maneuverability in comparison to fighter jets.

But will he have a copy of the presidium from Mass Effect??

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a cliff's notes of Malatora somewhere?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There was a nice comic I can't find done by a goon that summed it up, but you really should listen to the Fplus episode about it.
It is a thing of magic.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a cliff's notes of Malatora somewhere?
It's the second funniest dragon themed F Plus episode: https://thefpl.us/episode/69

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

habeasdorkus posted:

And they're based upon the mythology of the region that they hail from. So central/south American dragons are feathered serpents a la Quetzalcoatl, east Asian dragons are very similar to Chinese dragons, and the European ones are the ones that look like D&D illustrations.

Is this because belief shapes, well..., shape or because they were around as examples?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fat Samurai posted:

Is this because belief shapes, well..., shape or because they were around as examples?

The former. Almost all of the world's legends are just bad records of the 4th world when magic was powerful.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I stumbled across this on Imgur and I thought it would fit in with this thread. Are any of the Dragon's trolls? I think having one of the dragons whose only desire is to gently caress with people would be hilarious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I stumbled across this on Imgur and I thought it would fit in with this thread. Are any of the Dragon's trolls? I think having one of the dragons whose only desire is to gently caress with people would be hilarious.

Dunk has some pretty good items in his will. I wouldn't put something like this past him.

Of course, being more of a good sport than most dragons, he wouldn't eat the appraiser. Might even pay the poor guy for his time, especially if he got a response like "I'm sure this has a lot of sentimental value, but if anyone else brought this to me, I'd have to say it wouldn't get anything at open auction."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
In the dragons splatbook, there's speculation that dragons use their horde to store their memories and sentiments, attached to specific items. Like, pick a gold coin out of a dragon's pile, and the dragon could tell you the exact circumstances of how they got that particular coin, in agonizing detail.

I could totally see a dragon going into Antiques Roadshow with a piece of junk they found on the street, getting it appraised, and taking it back to their horde invested with the memory of how they made the poor appraiser squirm.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

IMJack posted:

In the dragons splatbook, there's speculation that dragons use their horde to store their memories and sentiments, attached to specific items. Like, pick a gold coin out of a dragon's pile, and the dragon could tell you the exact circumstances of how they got that particular coin, in agonizing detail.

I could totally see a dragon going into Antiques Roadshow with a piece of junk they found on the street, getting it appraised, and taking it back to their horde invested with the memory of how they made the poor appraiser squirm.

Wouldn't something owned by a dragon be more valuable simply by virtue of having been owned by a dragon? That's certainly true for celebrities, and dragons would qualify. The appraiser could make a valid argument that the value is impossible to estimate, since dragons don't tend to sell their possessions. Even the least valuable items could well be effectively priceless, yes?

At least, I'd try to make that argument if I thought it would keep me from being eaten.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

jwalrus posted:

At least, I'd try to make that argument if I thought it would keep me from being eaten.

There's a lot of arguments that people will make to keep from getting eaten.

Which is probably a big part of why the dragons that actually do eat people are so good at spotting bullshit. It's just practice.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Can we make Dragons on Antiques Roadshow a series? As it would be awesome.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Speaking of Dragons, is there a possibility of more Great Dragons arising in the setting? I seem to recall mention of baby dragons somewhere in the thread- assuming bug spirits/Horrors/Cthulhu don't eat everyone, what happens if there's too many dragons?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Speaking of Dragons, is there a possibility of more Great Dragons arising in the setting? I seem to recall mention of baby dragons somewhere in the thread- assuming bug spirits/Horrors/Cthulhu don't eat everyone, what happens if there's too many dragons?

Turf brawls with dragons. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

The dragons didn't all reappear at once, they emerged singly or in small numbers seemingly at random (but associated with the return of magic) and even up till the modern day of the setting new ones are appearing - like Ghostwalker.

Dragon eggs are also deffo a thing, so one presumes babby dragons are too.

Something that also comes up from time to time is the dragons being immortal and squatting positions of power forever. Being vice president of a AAA is one thing, but knowing you'll never get a chance at the big chair yourself because an immortal dragon will rule the company forever must be a kick in the balls.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 1, 2018