Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Been noticing that the “filter by tag” option isn’t working. When I try to use it, only the “none” icon shows up.
iOS
iPhone 7s
In case it’s just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Nope, doesn’t work for me, too. iPhone SE

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sometimes the app crashes. Being useful goon such as I am, I can't offer you rock solid reproduction other than it happening after I click on a post to go to it when I'm already "a few posts deep in" and then there's a partially shown post, a screen worth of blank space below it, and it resumes afterwards with whatever is the other post there then. Then something happens and the app crashes. iPhone ecks, last iOS version.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

The man called M posted:

Been noticing that the “filter by tag” option isn’t working. When I try to use it, only the “none” icon shows up.
iOS
iPhone 7s
In case it’s just me.

It's been reported before, hopefully it gets a "+1" 👍🏼

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sometimes the app crashes. Being useful goon such as I am, I can't offer you rock solid reproduction other than it happening after I click on a post to go to it when I'm already "a few posts deep in" and then there's a partially shown post, a screen worth of blank space below it, and it resumes afterwards with whatever is the other post there then. Then something happens and the app crashes. iPhone ecks, last iOS version.

It crashes a lot more than ever it seems. iOS 11.3 iPhone 7+ but the devs turned off crash reports if I recall correctly?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

pokeyman posted:

The real fix is to make it hard to accidentally trigger the thing. I'd rather put the work into that than more settings.

I'm cool with that -- like maybe 25% of screen height, instead of what it is now?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

kimbo305 posted:

I'm cool with that -- like maybe 25% of screen height, instead of what it is now?

Yes please.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Request: ability to view Sent Items in PM's not just the inbox. ❤️

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

The man called M posted:

iOS
iPhone 7s
In case it’s just me.

It's not just you. Devs! This one is crucial when search is broken. Please make the tags filterable again.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Any chance we can hide the announcements? It’s taking up my precious screen real estate 😥

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
First post using the awful app ! Thanks for the thread :nsa:

*EDIT* Noob Question, is there a way I can set notifications if someone were to PM me and/or quote me on a thread ?

Chamuska fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 14, 2018

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this happens to me a lot

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Anytime I'm in an image heavy thread such as the comic strip megathread, all the images vanish for a bit every time I scroll up. This does not happen scrolling down.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hello thread,

I would like to see all the epic images in the leper’s colon.

thank you to the devs for making awful things!!!!! ❤️

xoxo,
Bill Gates (from Microsoft computer 🖨)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

shortspecialbus posted:

Anytime I'm in an image heavy thread such as the comic strip megathread, all the images vanish for a bit every time I scroll up. This does not happen scrolling down.

My assumption is this is a "we preload the images as you go down and dump them once you're past them, so if you scroll up we reload the image while yelling "poo poo" a lot" kind of thing

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My assumption is this is a "we preload the images as you go down and dump them once you're past them, so if you scroll up we reload the image while yelling "poo poo" a lot" kind of thing

That could very well be it. It is maddening, though. I scroll up and down when reading threads, a lot of times because if I'm doing it on the iPad, I'm doing something else as well, so I realize that I wasn't paying attention to something I read and need to scroll back up. Or in the comic strip thread, for example, someone will say something about a comic that I didn't notice about it so I need to scroll up and find it again if they didn't quote it.

Is RAM on an iOS device that much at a premium that they need to be dumped the instant you're past them and not when you move to the next page or something? Or is this some built-in apple garbage collection? I'm normally an android person for mobile devices and aside from this minimally used iPad Pro (and an iPad 3 before it,) my last iOS device was the iphone 3G so I may just be out of the loop on this stuff. Please don't take it as criticism of the OS or starting some stupid yospos battle, it's not my intent. I just don't use the iPads all that often - I have it for a specific iOS only app, and otherwise it lives in the basement and I mostly use it to look up gamefaqs type stuff for whatever PS4 game I'm playing, or occasionally just read it while doing flightsim.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh hey, I figured out making a post fixes the problem with the grey bar getting stuck at the bottom of your screen. :justpost:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The posted too soon (within 10s) error dialog seems to say something about an image upload.

E: https://imgur.com/a/krBui

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Is there a way to stop the automatic timg?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tyler d00rden posted:

would also like to know this

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I've requested it, I'm told it's on the list

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Don’t not use timg!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a setting somewhere to have the sidebar on the right hand side of the screen when in landscape mode - it’s handy for left handlers!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please call that feature "sinister mode."

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey I'm procrastinating again which means I've given the app icons and main :v: throbber an overhaul. Little tweaks where I can to simplify them and clean them up.

If someone could try popping them in an upcoming beta for a test spin that would be rad.

Here they are.

All the dimensions and naming should be the same except for the blue circled ones that look like this:

These ones I've upped the dimensions from 64x64/96x96 to 72x72/108x108.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there anyway to get in on the beta for this still?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I can’t apply the main theme to sub forums anymore, all the subforums show their respective themes no matter what’s set in the theme settings.. is this a bug in the app or do I need to reset something on my end

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Anyone else have the thing where you can’t scroll while writing a PM? I can force the screen to “scroll” by hitting return a bunch of times, but otherwise I can’t scroll up and down and if I write enough (or if I’m quoting someone) the text just goes under the keyboard and I can’t see what I wrote anymore.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
nvm

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
You deleted your post but sometimes Swype (rip) fucks up and what I do to fix it is to go to General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Swype and toggle Allow Full Access off and back on.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I’ve seen a bug that, for the life of me, I can’t figure out why this matters, but here goes:

Photos that I have had airdropped to me are unable to be uploaded. If I screenshot-copy the same image, it can be uploaded, but the original cannot.

I even attempted to edit the photo before uploading (so it shows a preview instead of an empty box), but alas, no joy.

See bummer, pictured:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How are we doing with uploading images on iOS 11+? It didn’t work at first due to HEIC form my understanding, but then it kinda did a couple month ago, and now it’s broken again. Which is weird because I can upload via the imgur app fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It works for me, intermittently. I had one post where one pic uploaded fine, but the second one didn’t.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The image I uploaded in my post was from iOS (and you can tell because it auto-timg'd).

Pictures taken from the same device can be uploaded from Awful, but if I airdrop from, say, my iPhone to my iPad, I can't post the photos from the iPad's Awful app, and vice versa.

Edit for clarity: imgur app works just fine, as previously stated by Josh Lyman. This issue is with Awful alone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
all aboard the post omnibus

Seekhay posted:

I think what I’m seeing is slightly different. Links stop working, sometimes if I do a “select all” and then deselect it, the links will be clickable again, otherwise furiously mashing the link leads to it trying to select the link as text, like so:

That does sound a bit different. I'll add it to the list!

The man called M posted:

iOS
iPhone 7s
In case it’s just me.

Honj Steak posted:

Nope, doesn’t work for me, too. iPhone SE

Crime on a Dime posted:

It's not just you. Devs! This one is crucial when search is broken. Please make the tags filterable again.

Definitely not just y'all. I'll +3 it on the list! I can say it does sometimes work. I don't know what's going on (because I haven't looked at it yet), and Works On My Machine isn't a real answer, but it's not 100% broken.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Still useful info, thanks!

Crime on a Dime posted:

It crashes a lot more than ever it seems. iOS 11.3 iPhone 7+ but the devs turned off crash reports if I recall correctly?

I was futzing with the build script and I did manage to ship the current store version without Crashlytics turned on, but that was unintentional. I still get crash logs from Apple, and Crashlytics will be back on next version.

kimbo305 posted:

I think a combination of getting the right distance (25% seems like a good start) and making sure you're actually at the bottom will get the job done.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Request: ability to view Sent Items in PM's not just the inbox. ❤️

Ahh, an oldie but a goodie!

kloa posted:

Any chance we can hide the announcements? It’s taking up my precious screen real estate 😥

I'm afraid you're stuck with them.

Chamuska posted:

First post using the awful app ! Thanks for the thread :nsa:

*EDIT* Noob Question, is there a way I can set notifications if someone were to PM me and/or quote me on a thread ?

Welcome! There's no way at the moment to get notifications like that. The PM one is probably doable and is a good idea, I'll add it to my list. The "when quoted" one is probably not doable so I'll put it in the XenForo 2.0 list.

shortspecialbus posted:

I see this too! It's very strange. Time to add it to the list.

obstipator posted:

hello thread,

I would like to see all the epic images in the leper’s colon.

thank you to the devs for making awful things!!!!! ❤️

xoxo,
Bill Gates (from Microsoft computer 🖨)

:same: will +1 on the list!

shortspecialbus posted:

Is RAM on an iOS device that much at a premium that they need to be dumped the instant you're past them and not when you move to the next page or something? Or is this some built-in apple garbage collection? I'm normally an android person for mobile devices and aside from this minimally used iPad Pro (and an iPad 3 before it,) my last iOS device was the iphone 3G so I may just be out of the loop on this stuff. Please don't take it as criticism of the OS or starting some stupid yospos battle, it's not my intent.

Nah you're good, I'm taking it as a perfectly valid criticism of the app! If it helps, it's not something Awful is doing (afaik), it's just part of the old-rear end web view we're using to render posts. I have vague hopes that some of this stuff gets better when we finally move over to the new-rear end web view to render posts, but we won't know until we try. On the plus side, new-rear end web view gained the last remaining feature we were waiting for in iOS 11, so we can actually move over now without losing functionality/committing to ridiculous workarounds.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Oh hey, I figured out making a post fixes the problem with the grey bar getting stuck at the bottom of your screen. :justpost:

Well I guess it's only fair to open this thread up to anyone trying to work around the bottom grey bar problem.

kimbo305 posted:

The posted too soon (within 10s) error dialog seems to say something about an image upload.

E: https://imgur.com/a/krBui

It sure does! I'll put that on the list, thanks!

tyler d00rden posted:

Not at the moment but it is on the list! I'll +1 it.

scary ghost dog posted:

would also like to know this

+2 it

Crime on a Dime posted:

I've requested it, I'm told it's on the list

+3 it

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a setting somewhere to have the sidebar on the right hand side of the screen when in landscape mode - it’s handy for left handlers!

Not at the moment but it's theoretically doable without much pain. I'll take a look.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey I'm procrastinating again which means I've given the app icons and main :v: throbber an overhaul. Little tweaks where I can to simplify them and clean them up.

If someone could try popping them in an upcoming beta for a test spin that would be rad.

Sure! No guarantee on when but I'll try to fire it up here soon.

Skeezy posted:

Is there anyway to get in on the beta for this still?

Yep! Just PM me an email address. Doesn't have to be an Apple ID.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I can’t apply the main theme to sub forums anymore, all the subforums show their respective themes no matter what’s set in the theme settings.. is this a bug in the app or do I need to reset something on my end

That's a new one to me but I'll make a note of it. It's working for me right this second, so it's possible a delete/reinstall will unwedge something, but that's definitely a bug.

Pirate Radar posted:

Anyone else have the thing where you can’t scroll while writing a PM? I can force the screen to “scroll” by hitting return a bunch of times, but otherwise I can’t scroll up and down and if I write enough (or if I’m quoting someone) the text just goes under the keyboard and I can’t see what I wrote anymore.

You're not the only one, though it's been a little while since the last time someone mentioned it. Probably some combination of people writing short PMs or just living with it until I get around to fixing it :(

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I’ve seen a bug that, for the life of me, I can’t figure out why this matters, but here goes:

Photos that I have had airdropped to me are unable to be uploaded. If I screenshot-copy the same image, it can be uploaded, but the original cannot.

I even attempted to edit the photo before uploading (so it shows a preview instead of an empty box), but alas, no joy.

See bummer, pictured:

poo poo's been broken for awhile:

Josh Lyman posted:

How are we doing with uploading images on iOS 11+? It didn’t work at first due to HEIC form my understanding, but then it kinda did a couple month ago, and now it’s broken again. Which is weird because I can upload via the imgur app fine.
There's definitely Problems with Imgur uploading and I've been planning out how I want to hopefully fix it. Nothing to report yet but don't give up hope.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Icons look good I think.

The ignore one should be a crossed out eye instead of open though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Touché!

I like the new :v: throbber in the dark theme, but I like the outline one better in light theme. I’m pondering keeping both. What do you think?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

If you let me turn off auto timg I will give you one million dollars

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Touché!

I like the new :v: throbber in the dark theme, but I like the outline one better in light theme. I’m pondering keeping both. What do you think?

Maybe try switching the new one to grey? It's heavier now so maybe it needs to be lightened up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tyler d00rden posted:

If you let me turn off auto timg I will give you one million dollars
You have my permission to turn off auto timg. Please send me one million dollars thank you