Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Finster Dexter posted:

They have a set of pods running in Minneapolis.

https://www.falloutshelterarcade.com/battletech/

Axetrain posted:

They used to have those pods at a Dave&Busters near me. They were a blast to play with a group of friends when I was a kid but I kinda doubt how well they hold up today.
We went here for my bachelor party last summer.

I was cackling with glee basically whole time I was in a pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally got up the nerve to take one of those intimidating "Take The Bait" missions. Negotiated for full salvage. In the actual mission, it turned out the "heavy mech" was a Demolisher and not an actual mech while the reinforcements were all pretty mundane :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the gently caress ambush missions, two manticores just killed the shadow hawk in two turns. They cored it instantly.

My pc is never going in the field again he'll have been in the medbay 300 days now.

e: Behemoth got headshot for the ninth mission in a row. At least I got a second Shadow Hawk to replace this lovely Griffin I bought.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 1, 2018

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

You can't salvage the final boss mech, don't be like me and waste time knocking it down over and over again because you want that sweet sweet salvage. I really wanted a second king crab

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rt4 posted:

I finally got up the nerve to take one of those intimidating "Take The Bait" missions. Negotiated for full salvage. In the actual mission, it turned out the "heavy mech" was a Demolisher and not an actual mech while the reinforcements were all pretty mundane :(
I loving hate that. It specifically says its a Mech stomping around. I know intel is bad, but come the gently caress on Darius.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a way to tell how much heat a mech will dissipate a turn with the heat sinks given, or how far it'll move in tiles with move/sprint/jump jets?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Preechr posted:

The king crab does not open its claws to spit AC/20 death. Please fix.

signed, seconded, et cetera

this definitely needs to be fixed!

ideally before I get my hands on one. What can I say, I'm going slow :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to tell how much heat a mech will dissipate a turn with the heat sinks given, or how far it'll move in tiles with move/sprint/jump jets?

Not that I've found in the mechlab, no. A testing range simulation or something would be handy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

I really wish that was a number displayed both in the Mechlab and on your heat bar in fight.

Base dissipation with no sinks is 30 per turn, max capacity is 100, when you shut down. The threshold for when you take damage is impacted by guts skills.

Movement is harder to tell because it's impacted by terrain, but, you can look at how many jets a mech can mount as a shorthand. Everything that mounts 4 jets has the same movement profile. Same for 2, 5, 6, 7, or 8.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 1, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I loving hate that. It specifically says its a Mech stomping around. I know intel is bad, but come the gently caress on Darius.

The worst thing is that Demolishers or Schreks appearing seems to be the most likely thing to be rolled for those missions, which really does seem like a flaw in the scenario coding - sure intel can be wrong, but reliably confusing a large tank with a mech? Really? If they want to make it hard for players to get their hands on an Assault early on, there are far easier ways than just normally spawning a tank.

1. You can just make those missions incredibly rare to spawn in the first place. Currently while they're not incredibly common, you can still come across a decent number of them just wandering around.

2. Just institute a very high chance of it being a Medium or Heavy (which I have seen spawn for those missions as well). As-is, I've currently come across 2 Stalkers, like 7 tanks, and only 1 Medium/Heavy (don't recall). That's... not a great percentage to be seeing, even if that is only my personal experience.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I love that they clearly didn't test some things in concert like APC movespeed and road effects because an apc that gets close enough on Panzyr defense to trigger the warning will happily just walk on in during the same turn. Also, I took the warning about being able to move quickly and brought a shadowhawk along and they can barely make it up to the hospital in time even full-out sprinting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy 3.5 skull missions don't gently caress around. I thought I had it covered despite the ambush when the first four mechs were Locusts. Then the mediums came in. Then the heavies. I never even saw the target behind the Thunderbolts. It was a good faith withdrawal though, and I got a double kill!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Did they touch on the vehicle speed during the AMA? I’m curious if it really was an oversight or they’re supposed to go 500 kph.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Inner sphere are dirty cheating fractional goons and the Clan are stupid pubbies waffling on about "e-honoure"

This allows you to bait them into sending out their best mech for a 1v1 dual then focus firing him

Or allowing the nicer ones to live on one of your planets after a round of Golf.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So is the +2 hit defense gyro just a free straight up evasion pip? Am I reading that right?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, this should settle the DLC nerves. Doesn't sound like Paradox style: "DLC TRAIN" but a lot of good content.

From the AMA

[–]AdaraelHBS Developer[S] 13 points 5 hours ago
You should very much count on more content. Some paid, some free.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
"Let's get this over with so we can go swimming."

Glitch is my favorite.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

So is the +2 hit defense gyro just a free straight up evasion pip? Am I reading that right?

Yes. You'll see a passive effect icon when you are deployed leaving no doubt it's just straight up +2 hit difficulty modifier.

Jesus how can all the default mech load out be so terrible? Whenever you start customizing your mech you always end up with 50% more firepower and almost full armor and higher mobility than the default load out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So my campaign's in very early days. I'm just about to go get the Argo, in fact. Having managed to get Dekker killed and my starting Spider blown into scrap in an early mission, I had to sub in a Locust for my fourth 'mech choice. In a desperate effort to make it suck less, I pulled all the guns and some armor and stuck a Large Laser into the center torso and made what I call the "LaserBug". And you know what? It's not nearly as terrible as most Locusts. I wouldn't recommend it if you've got any other option...it is still a Locust, after all...but for a Locust the ability to outrange and put a single good hit on other Light 'Mechs is actually quite handy early on when you're mostly fighting Lights and small Vehicles, plus its got some utility as a sniper and backshotter. Also it's surprisingly durable. Since you can lose both arms and both side torsos without losing any weapons, you can actually stay viable a while longer than one might otherwise expect for a 20 tonner with sub-optimal armor.

Anyway, a Large laser Locust is working okay for me, so I thought I'd share with the rest of the class.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

Yes. You'll see a passive effect icon when you are deployed leaving no doubt it's just straight up +2 hit difficulty modifier.

Jesus how can all the default mech load out be so terrible? Whenever you start customizing your mech you always end up with 50% more firepower and almost full armor and higher mobility than the default load out.

I think that's one of the charms of Battletech - before Clans and the advanced tech the mech loadouts were all pretty bad from a min/max perspective. And you just had to deal with it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

pedro0930 posted:

Most of the stock designs were deliberately non-optimal to give them more character, since they weren't really designing the game around a competitive mindset. You'd never see something like the Jagermech come out of somebody's mechlab, but it definitely elicits a reaction from the player to encounter one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Saddest Robot posted:

I think that's one of the charms of Battletech - before Clans and the advanced tech the mech loadouts were all pretty bad from a min/max perspective. And you just had to deal with it.

Yeah, I enjoy the fact that a lot of mechs are thoroughly mediocre. Stock matches are fun, and even in the campaign, many of my mechs are still very close to stock.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Saddest Robot posted:

Half the mechs being huge pieces of poo poo, including yours, is part of the charm I think. It's more fun making garbage work than rolling around in your gold plated Megamech.

Speaking of which I still don't have a heavy but I DO have two shadow hawks and a shadow hawk 2D! :v: I was using a default hawk as a cqc mech, now I have to refit two of them to make the 2D that (it probably sucks at it based on the armor but oh well).

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I'm a little overwhelmed with the non-tactical half of the campaign. Is there anything I ought to buy asap? Any traps to avoid?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

RBA Starblade posted:

Half the mechs being huge pieces of poo poo, including yours, is part of the charm I think. It's more fun making garbage work than rolling around in your gold plated Megamech.

Speaking of which I still don't have a heavy but I DO have two shadow hawks and a shadow hawk 2D! :v: I was using a default hawk as a cqc mech, now I have to refit two of them to make the 2D that (it probably sucks at it based on the armor but oh well).

You should definitely not send a pilot out in an SHD-2D with the default armor load unless you suspect he's been making passes at your wife.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pedro0930 posted:

It makes more sense if you aren't thinking in terms of lance compositions complementing each other, and thinking in terms of lone mech survivability.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

insanityv2 posted:

I'm a little overwhelmed with the non-tactical half of the campaign. Is there anything I ought to buy asap? Any traps to avoid?

Keep several months of money on hand just so you don't go broke if a bad beat mission leaves your entire lance in the shop forever and ever.

Other than that, uh, not really that I've noticed. Check markets for +(++) weapons, maybe improve your rep along the line for sweet discounts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Voyager I posted:

You should definitely not send a pilot out in an SHD-2D with the default armor load unless you suspect he's been making passes at your wife.

Well, yeah, a handful of mechs are irredeemable, such as the SHD-2D. I'm almost certain it was created to be an easily killed, but kinda dangerous mook to threaten players with in a campaign game. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

someone told me the SHD-2D was better than the 2H

i'm not seeing it. is it that I can just shove a pile of SL/MLs in there and go punch people a lot or what? Because my 2H does the same thing with a pile of SRM6 racks and it owns

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psion posted:

someone told me the SHD-2D was better than the 2H

i'm not seeing it. is it that I can just shove a pile of SL/MLs in there and go punch people a lot or what

It has >1 Energy weapon hardpoint.

It's not a huge upgrade, but it lets it do some things the 2H can't.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I guess? I'll fit it as a brawler and just use those extra support weapons and lasers to punch even harder. We'll see! I've got too many mechs right now (heh :smugdog: ) so I don't mind making Yang work for my whims as opposed to well thought out decisions. Don't ask what I did with my first Orion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Voyager I posted:

I just took a second look and oh god.

quote:

i'm not seeing it. is it that I can just shove a pile of SL/MLs in there and go punch people a lot or what? Because my 2H does the same thing with a pile of SRM6 racks and it owns

That's my plan. I'm taking the AC/5 off and giving it 3 MLs, 2 MGs (why not), 2 SRM6s, 1 SRM4, 5 heat sinks, 4 jump jets, and that lets me get the arm armors to 60, torso to 145, sides to 100, and max the head. I don't know if that will work any better for close range combat than the other Hawk though.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

For those of you who hate that late game missions are all assault vs Assault, there's a mod out that removes the "step up mission difficulty after a story mission" modifer, in place is a location based one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleTechMods/comments/8fpxox/removed_forced_difficulty_boosts_planet/

I can't recommend this mod enough! Seriously, you typically face mixed lances based on tonnage/difficult system, then you hit a milestone and the game while throw nothing but heavy and assault lances after that, which kinda drags the whole game down a bit. I don't blame HBS for this, because literally every Battletech spin-off game has fallen into this trap one way or another.

E: gently caress you, gently caress you, and gently caress you.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Stock mech ruleset would be a pretty fun challenge run

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Amechwarrior posted:

So the goon discord (get in fools, check the OP) put together their custom logos.

Here you go and have goony fun. I threw in the old WOL logos I did back in the MWO days too.

The Valhalla skins feature unit emblems on them and I wish all the skins did too. I can add yours on the discord if you want them included.

Thanks! I'll look through these.

I feel like I need a SQUAWWWWKKK emote in this game. Oh, the good old days.

How do I install these? just drop them into a directory somewhere?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 1, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One thing I hate is pre Argo, trying to keep afloat money wise, refit a few mediums, and not be stuck just letting the timer count down for a few easy missions. The time it takes to refit is stupid and when you can't take your new salvage mech with weapons on it because all your others are refitting it really kid of sucks.

Also I heard someone said they sold their mech parts? How do you do that? So far I can tell I can only buy a few parts here and there or sell whole mechs. Am I missing something?

And nobody responded to my LOS question about Ai vs You on the rules. Has no one else had the enemy just PPC you right through the side of a mountain or through a rock that you couldn't definitely not do the same?

Also RBA Starblade, by chance have you taken a look for The "Mechwarrior Quadrology" yet? Its a fully packaged download of all the MW games from 1-4 setup to mostly run on up to Windows 10. I think it even gets the mekpack's for MW4 working under a 64bit os but I am not certain. Will have to check. Otherwise Just throw up a 32bit Win7 install and go nuts.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 1, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I just took a second look and oh god.

That's my plan. I'm taking the AC/5 off and giving it 3 MLs, 2 MGs (why not), 2 SRM6s, 1 SRM4, 5 heat sinks, 4 jump jets, and that lets me get the arm armors to 60, torso to 145, sides to 100, and max the head. I don't know if that will work any better for close range combat than the other Hawk though.

Well, that's a good sign. this is almost exactly what I came up with except I'm using small lasers because I have some SL+ or ++ in inventory.

It's pretty light on SRM ammo - just over six shots - but then that's more than enough to kill anything that moves :ocelot:

(And seriously, I expect to be punching.)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

And nobody responded to my LOS question about Ai vs You on the rules. Has no one else had the enemy just PPC you right through the side of a mountain or through a rock that you couldn't definitely not do the same?

I've had no situations where I couldn't fire when LOS was established and they could fire on me, no. I've seen lasers go through rocks but they do it both ways (usually with an obstructed penalty to the shot, but they'll go)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psion posted:

Well, that's a good sign. this is almost exactly what I came up with except I'm using small lasers because I have some SL+ or ++ in inventory.

It's pretty light on SRM ammo - just over six shots - but then that's more than enough to kill anything that moves :ocelot:

(And seriously, I expect to be punching.)

Yeah, the missiles are just for getting into knucklerange. I'll have to try tomorrow though, refit won't get done before I call it a night.

Got spacemugged though! I paid the ransom because whatever but the -2 morale stings. What happens if you take the Leopard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EdEddnEddy posted:

One thing I hate is pre Argo, trying to keep afloat money wise, refit a few mediums, and not be stuck just letting the timer count down for a few easy missions. The time it takes to refit is stupid and when you can't take your new salvage mech with weapons on it because all your others are refitting it really kid of sucks.

Also I heard someone said they sold their mech parts? How do you do that? So far I can tell I can only buy a few parts here and there or sell whole mechs. Am I missing something?

Also RBA Starblade, by chance have you taken a look for The "Mechwarrior Quadrology" yet? Its a fully packaged download of all the MW games from 1-4 setup to mostly run on up to Windows 10. I think it even gets the mekpack's for MW4 working under a 64bit os but I am not certain. Will have to check. Otherwise Just throw up a 32bit Win7 install and go nuts.

There's no rules difference for LoS, projectiles will go through hills and stuff. If a shot is partially blocked you just get a penalty to hit on it.