Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

https://www.glnf.fr claim he's a member and UGLE recognise them.

Edit : oops I'm wrong

Dirigibleful fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
He is a member of the Grand Lodge de France, which practices regular Freemasonry, but is not recognized by the UGLE, since they allow intervisitation with "continental" jurisdictions, such as the irregular Grand Orient de France. The GLNF is merely sending condolences to the GLDF.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

A regular body or not, a mason died due to a selfless act. Let's remember that about him.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Keetron posted:

A regular body or not, a mason died due to a selfless act. Let's remember that about him.

Absolutely, that's my feeling as well. I only asked because I saw a couple of masons squabbling over it on another page.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
drat better example of masonic conduct than most we see today. I'll say a word about him at next Lodge.

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
Myself as well, thanks for sharing.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Paramemetic posted:

Ohio also has weird questions on lodge applications like "have you ever been a member of or sympathetic to the communist party" which is a strange question for an apolitical body but that's America for you.

I believe the GL of MD constitution still expressively forbids being a communist, but it isn't on our petitions. Probably a cold war holdover that no one's been brave enough to amend.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I believe the GL of MD constitution still expressively forbids being a communist, but it isn't on our petitions. Probably a cold war holdover that no one's been brave enough to amend.

Whereabouts in MD are you? I've been looking for a lodge to get involved with since I moved here, I just haven't had the time to check some out (until now)

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

COOL CORN posted:

Whereabouts in MD are you? I've been looking for a lodge to get involved with since I moved here, I just haven't had the time to check some out (until now)

I'm on the Eastern Shore, so if you're on my side of the bridge, you have my deepest condolences.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I'm on the Eastern Shore, so if you're on my side of the bridge, you have my deepest condolences.

Luckily not, northern Montgomery county over here.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
So I'm opening my senior thesis talking about Homer the Great, National Treasure, and The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I also talk about SA and this thread in the intro section.

Truly signs of the decadence of the academe.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
By the way, why did y'all decide to become Masons? Particularly those of you who are more liberal than your lodges?

Roughly, how old are you? Are you married? If so, did you join before or after you tied the knot?

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 15, 2018

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Head Bee Guy posted:

By the way, why did y'all decide to become Masons? Particularly those of you who are more liberal than your lodges?

Roughly, how old are you? Are you married? If so, did you join before or after you tied the knot?

I love the American Revolutionary era, so to tie myself better to that period, I joined the Freemasons. I also happened to be much more libertarian than leftist back then.

I'm in my late 30s, yes, and I started the process before my wedding but postponed it until afterwards as I was just too busy with a wedding to do all this Masonry stuff.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Head Bee Guy posted:

Esoteric truths, charity, and fraternity. What's not to like?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

That plus personal development. Joined at 33, now 40. One trigger to join was this thread.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

The philosophy of it is appealing to me. The politics of individual masons is not Masonry, basically.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Head Bee Guy posted:

Had a co worker a job back who told me about the general mission (make good men better, charity, brotherhood), and it convinced me to join.

I'm in my mid 20s. I was single at the time I petitioned, but am now married. I'm decidedly more leftist than most of the members of my lodge, but the good news is, I'm also younger by at least 4 decades, and I've served as a pretty good face for members of my generation, and thus, have been able to get some fresh members with fresh ideas into the lodge.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Monday will be 7 years since I was raised.

I had some artwork done 2 years back:

The markings on the square are to scale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Masonic tattoos are cool and good.

COOL CORN posted:

I did a thing, heh

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

Always loved symbology, the idea that symbols could have a deep meaning that isn't readily apparent. So I wanted to know the secrets, and I generally clicked with the themes of morality, self-development, and brotherhood. Mid-thirties and no.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are skulls a Masonic symbol? I saw an ad on facebook for a Masonic ring that was a square and compass embedded in the forehead of a massive skull. It looked p Nazi-ish or like the Punisher logo. The comments were split between "this is not the Freemasonry I know" and "badass, brother"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Head Bee Guy posted:

Are skulls a Masonic symbol? I saw an ad on facebook for a Masonic ring that was a square and compass embedded in the forehead of a massive skull. It looked p Nazi-ish or like the Punisher logo. The comments were split between "this is not the Freemasonry I know" and "badass, brother"

Very much so. The "memento mori" (reminder of death) is a huge part of a number of the degrees.

Head Bee Guy posted:

One of the best, nicest guys I ever knew was a guy I worked with, and I always noticed his square and compass watch. One thing led to another and I was asking him for more info on how to join. I'm by FAR the most liberal person in any lodge I've been in. Down south there are a number of problematic people. But, they don't represent what Masonry is to me.

33, divorced, joined before I was married.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hey brothers, I just submitted my senior thesis. If any of y'all are interested, here is a dropbox link. I also talk about SA in the introduction, which is one of the more goony things I've ever done.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh1zb5cbmegw7n7/Head%20Bee%20Guy%20Masons%20Essay.docx?dl=0

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

Head Bee Guy posted:

Hey brothers, I just submitted my senior thesis. If any of y'all are interested, here is a dropbox link. I also talk about SA in the introduction, which is one of the more goony things I've ever done.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh1zb5cbmegw7n7/Head%20Bee%20Guy%20Masons%20Essay.docx?dl=0

Just started reading it, love the stonecutters reference!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I am starting to catch serious poo poo from the WM that i am missing so many meetings. I dont WANT to miss the meetings, but every time we have one there is either night shift work I have to do, an obligation from my kids I have to attend, or my wife is off on a business trip. I had my last meeting monday night until September. :(

Then the WM says to me "So if you can't make the meetings, why did you take an officer chair?"

"Well WM, I didn't want to take a chair, I wanted to be a sideliner this year, you basically guilted me into taking a seat."

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Cimber posted:

I am starting to catch serious poo poo from the WM that i am missing so many meetings. I dont WANT to miss the meetings, but every time we have one there is either night shift work I have to do, an obligation from my kids I have to attend, or my wife is off on a business trip. I had my last meeting monday night until September. :(

Then the WM says to me "So if you can't make the meetings, why did you take an officer chair?"

"Well WM, I didn't want to take a chair, I wanted to be a sideliner this year, you basically guilted me into taking a seat."

If you were up front about being busy and taking the spot as a favor, the WM is at fault for complaining.

This coming from a PM who asked a couple busy guys to take chairs and didn't complain when they only made around half the meetings.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

KillianLett posted:

If you were up front about being busy and taking the spot as a favor, the WM is at fault for complaining.

This coming from a PM who asked a couple busy guys to take chairs and didn't complain when they only made around half the meetings.

Yeah, i was pretty reluctant to take any chair, and i expressed that too him last year, right after I was raised.

I am a master of ceremony, so i only walk around during degrees and don't have any speaking parts. BUT..i missed all three degrees this year due to outside obligations. I'm not happy about it, and the WM was not happy either.

[edit] something something something "if within the length of my cabletow' something something something...

Cimber fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 9, 2018

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

So I was just initiated in March. I'm still an EA, and I'm really enjoying and finding value in everything so far. I'm the only EA at my lodge that I've seen, though, and I can't help but feel... Childish, or something, when the lodge always has to open under the EA degree. Like I'm a kid in a grown-up meeting. Am I preventing anything from happening in any way at the meetings? Nobody is giving me dirty looks or anything, I just feel a bit out of place. Or... Is this the whole point of EA?

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Everything is new to you, so it's normal to feel that way.

Opening in EA should have no noticeable effect on the Lodge, other than a longer Opening and Closing than you would in the other two degrees.

I don't think we've opened in MM yet this year due to a couple of new people working their way through.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah the only difference anyone would notice is a different opening and closing. And they're doing it because they want to include you, so there's no shame in it. Be proud to be what you are :)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

So I was just initiated in March. I'm still an EA, and I'm really enjoying and finding value in everything so far. I'm the only EA at my lodge that I've seen, though, and I can't help but feel... Childish, or something, when the lodge always has to open under the EA degree. Like I'm a kid in a grown-up meeting. Am I preventing anything from happening in any way at the meetings? Nobody is giving me dirty looks or anything, I just feel a bit out of place. Or... Is this the whole point of EA?

In my jurisdiction, the vast majority of work is done in the EA degree. We never open in second or third off the bat either - you always open first, then second, then third - so the only work done in the further degrees is specific degree work or discussions relating to it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Loomer posted:

In my jurisdiction, the vast majority of work is done in the EA degree. We never open in second or third off the bat either - you always open first, then second, then third - so the only work done in the further degrees is specific degree work or discussions relating to it.

Interesting. In NY we open by default on the 3rd, and if we need work done on the lower degrees we actually lower the lodge to the required degree.

Except on Monday at Grand lodge they voted to allow lodges to open on the 1st or 2nd degree instead if it suited them. A lot of the old guard are against this, I think its a good thing personally, since that allows the EAs and FCs to see opening and closings.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

In Ohio, we can open in whatever we feel like, so we open on the lowest degree in attendance that night. I prefer it that way, as I joined in WV which mandates opening in MM, meaning a guy couldn’t attend and feel like a brother until he’d finished his degrees.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Emron posted:

In Ohio, we can open in whatever we feel like, so we open on the lowest degree in attendance that night. I prefer it that way, as I joined in WV which mandates opening in MM, meaning a guy couldn’t attend and feel like a brother until he’d finished his degrees.

Michigan is the same as Ohio... oh man, that felt dirty to say.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
See to me that's just downright odd. You don't progressively open the lodge?

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Nope. We see who's there that day and open in the lowest degree required.

If there is a reason mid meeting to change levels, we will do that though.

(Open on EA, Brother gives Proficiency, change to FC, vote, Proceed with FC degree work on said Brother for example)

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

KillianLett posted:

Nope. We see who's there that day and open in the lowest degree required.

If there is a reason mid meeting to change levels, we will do that though.

(Open on EA, Brother gives Proficiency, change to FC, vote, Proceed with FC degree work on said Brother for example)

Also from Michigan, can confirm this is how our meetings have been going too.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Loomer posted:

See to me that's just downright odd. You don't progressively open the lodge?

No, you just open in lowest degree. If we need to take back work it’d go like this (skipping EA business for length here):

-Open full form EA
-Refreshment
-Open short form FC
-FC work
-Close short form FC
-Labor
-Close full form EA

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Got my EA at the end of April and that sure was an experience I shan't forget in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
The Grand Lodge of NC is voting this year to give lodges the option of opening on lower degrees. Right now we only open on the 3rd for stated communications. Last year the vote failed, but they are going to keep bringing it back up until it passes, I think.
A lot of the old guard don't like it because "that's how we've always done it", but prior to the Baltimore Convention of 1843, we all held our business meetings on the 1st.