Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How rough are judo crawls (where you lay down on your stomach and pull yourself forward with your elbows) supposed to be on your elbows? I was doing a few sets of them in class and ended up rubbing my elbows raw. I dunno if my skin's just delicate, or my gi is especially rough or if this is just what happens when you do the drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sooooo gooobery

e. the hapkido sites I mean.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Did they close the facebook page? I wanted to read some comments to laugh a bit.

They might have, you can delete comments but not reviews I think so....

This was the original link, I could be blocked:
https://www.facebook.com/Yarbrough-Martial-Arts-264511110709639/

Here's his FB

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.yarbrough.71

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Cephas posted:

How rough are judo crawls (where you lay down on your stomach and pull yourself forward with your elbows) supposed to be on your elbows? I was doing a few sets of them in class and ended up rubbing my elbows raw. I dunno if my skin's just delicate, or my gi is especially rough or if this is just what happens when you do the drill.

They're usually fairly harsh. Particularly if it's a new gi

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I mean, his other site isn't much better.

https://hapkidokid.weebly.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qto_Sx4Id6k&t=5s

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

They might have, you can delete comments but not reviews I think so....

This was the original link, I could be blocked:
https://www.facebook.com/Yarbrough-Martial-Arts-264511110709639/

The coward has deleted his whole page I think.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

willie_dee posted:

The coward has deleted his whole page I think.

No, he blocked it from non-members. So the only people who can view the page are the students...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cephas posted:

I used to bunch up my sleeves when doing these so I wouldn't sandpaper my elbows...

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
Is this bad temper on my part and just part of being a white belt, or just dealing with a jerk kid?

Practicing judo with a brown belt who looks like he’s about 16 or so, and it’s my 10th class. He’s putting all these extra steps and variations on the techniques we’re supposed to be drilling, which I don’t really mind, but he goes “then you can do this!” and surprises me with a arm bar with enough gas behind it to make me yelp for a sec. poo poo like this happened 3 times or so.

I feel like he’s being pretty sloppy.

No real harm done, but between the surprises and him telling me to make my legs into a swastika for kesa gatame, doing some pain compliance poo poo on me for pin escapes (that we’re not specifically working on), and just general asshattery, my attitude went to poo poo for the rest of the night. Got me pissed enough I was going to ask him to please quit with the surprise poo poo in front of the whole group, cause I’m so new.

Spent the rest of practice with a pissy attitude and couldn’t focus on what coach was teaching. This has been vastly different than my experience with the rest of the club so far. They’re all really accommodating and supportive of the new guys. Every black and brown practicing with me typically pulls their throws and lets me down easy, doesn’t turn up the heat, etc.

This was not randori, just drilling pin escapes from Kesa/muni gatame.

Next time we’re pairing up, I’m going to politely decline in front of the group if he asks and (likely realistically) make a passive aggressive joke about it, and go find someone else.

Am I just a little sensitive snowflake or is this poo poo bad etiquette on his part?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gryi posted:

Am I just a little sensitive snowflake or is this poo poo bad etiquette on his part?

The second.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he's being a douchebag. If you work with him again be assertive that you want to focus on the basics, you're a beginner after all. If he's a young kid he may just not understand that's he's being lovely to you so some push back might be enough to get him in line. I wouldn't blame you if you just don't work with him though.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004

Is it lovely though as a newbie to comment about this within earshot of others/coach as long as I’m not a dick about it, etc? Maybe just a “no thanks, that arm bar out of nowhere hurt a lot last week.”? I think one could reasonably get the underlying message out of that comment.

Don’t want to make waves as the newest in the class, but I feel I need to say something. I’m only sperging out about this because I really do want to do what’s right, and I’m really enjoying my new hobby.

DOJO ETIQUETTE!

E: thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Gryi fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 2, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

"Let's just stick to the drill" directly to him with no emotional attachment usually works, or at least sets the stage for him to make the next move. This is a common enough thing, but I've not really seen it at the higher ranks. Usually I'd see this from a young yellow belt when I was back in my white belt days.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 2, 2018

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If he's a brown belt teenager he's probably just a kid bored of doing the basics all the time, that's why he wants to do all the crazy poo poo. Just make it real clear you're not okay with that, and if that isn't enough to fix the situation bring it up with the instructor

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004

Dave Grool posted:

If he's a brown belt teenager he's probably just a kid bored of doing the basics all the time, that's why he wants to do all the crazy poo poo. Just make it real clear you're not okay with that, and if that isn't enough to fix the situation bring it up with the instructor

I think you might be right. He shrimps over from the circle to the practice area while I hobble over there. Hadn’t thought about that. I’ll bring it up.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Mention it to some of the higher belt guys. If it’s anywhere like I’ve trained, they’ll be unhappy with him putting off potential long-term teammates, and will “adjust” his attitude until he he either gets the point or fucks off.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jab him in the nose until he backs off

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

tickle the taint, that'll get'em!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
decided I wanted to get back on the punchsports train, and started going to a muay thai gym a week and a half ago.

Four classes later: Everything loving hurts, and I'm assuming it doesn't really ever stop hurting, you just hit harder.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Eventually your body stops giving a poo poo and adapts to it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

OWLS! posted:

decided I wanted to get back on the punchsports train, and started going to a muay thai gym a week and a half ago.

Four classes later: Everything loving hurts, and I'm assuming it doesn't really ever stop hurting, you just hit harder.

Pain is weakness leaving the body. Keep going and you will grow to love pain.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Pain is weakness leaving the body. Keep going and you will grow to love pain.

I hate this expression because it's one of those crossfit cult sayings that ends up with everyone in the hospital for rhabdo.

Training should never leave you in pain. Tired and sore, of course, but real pain is your body telling you something is hosed up and you need to listen to your body in order to prevent injury. Never "just push through the pain", don't believe "no pain no gain", etc

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OWLS! posted:

I was mangled when I did my first BJJ class (happened to be all rolling) for several years. Couldn't turn my head. Raising my left arm hurt bad.

But these went away, and things got progressively better.

You'll always have pain from bruises, strained muscles and the like. poo poo like your joints hurting is a big deal though, don't try and power through those.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mewse posted:

Tired and sore, of course, but real pain is your body telling you something is hosed up

I think for people who've never done martial arts before, it's hard to draw a line between "hmm, my shin is developing a nice bruising hitting the bottom of this bag" and "ok, I bruised it too hard on that one kick and need to move onto something else." Kicking can sting like hell early on, even if it doesn't have any serious injury consequences.

But it's important that coaches don't just bowl over new students with that crossfit genderless machismo of "are you tough enough to do this?"

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

But it's important that coaches don't just bowl over new students with that crossfit genderless machismo of "are you tough enough to do this?"

Our Judo club say that jokingly because of the crossfit genderless masochism that some of the new people we been getting in recently. They are in shape for looking pretty, but they are not in shape for Judo. One guy keeps calling himself a Kino Warrior(whatever the gently caress that is) and he whines about everything. I had him in a light Kesa-gatame that caused him to freak out like I was killing him then complained to the sensei that everyone was too rough on him. "Ping Pong is down the hall" was all he told him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Our Judo club say that jokingly because of the crossfit genderless masochism that some of the new people we been getting in recently. They are in shape for looking pretty, but they are not in shape for Judo. One guy keeps calling himself a Kino Warrior(whatever the gently caress that is) and he whines about everything. I had him in a light Kesa-gatame that caused him to freak out like I was killing him then complained to the sensei that everyone was too rough on him. "Ping Pong is down the hall" was all he told him.

ahaha nice.

Our reminder is "It's not a contact sport, it's a combat sport."

All of our serious injuries in the last few years have come from dumb unlikely poo poo like skipping and cartwheels anyway. The last judo injury that happened in-club from the actual judo was when my tooth went through my lip, requiring two stitches, and I was the one throwing for that.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
All the worst judo injuries I've seen have occurred doing not-judo.

Also if I skipped practice because something hurt I'd still be a white belt.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One of the guys who used to train with us was a much older judo coach who coached his home country's Olympic judo team years ago. He told me he had one of his athlete dies years ago from a broken neck suffered in a throw in training.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

One of the guys who used to train with us was a much older judo coach who coached his home country's Olympic judo team years ago. He told me he had one of his athlete dies years ago from a broken neck suffered in a throw in training.

Oh yeah it happens! About 15-20 years ago two kids died in Canada in one summer from judo. In both cases, the athlete had several concussions leading into the fatal practice, but had hidden them from the coaches (allegedly). In the case that was closer to me, the kid - at a summer youth camp - took a moderate bump, got up, fell down again, and never woke up. Judo Canada has strict concussion protocols now. The coaching rules suggest that coaches can get in serious loving poo poo for encouraging a gym culture which leads athletes to hide injuries, though I'm not sure how that would get enforced - it might just be a liability issue if a lawsuit came about, as in it would constitute negligence in the event of a serious injury.

We also had one guy from our team break his own neck executing a drop seio nage (I think he slipped and spiked his own head?), but he's ok now. That was in tournament about 5 years ago, and not while I was involved with the club, so it didn't come to mind.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

One guy keeps calling himself a Kino Warrior(whatever the gently caress that is)

Isn't kino that PUA poo poo about touching girls to seduce them

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

mewse posted:

Just really into Nena, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YnZh5iDJM

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

mewse posted:

Google is showing me that it is a workout program called Kino Warrior shredding and it's big on intermittent fasting. So the guy is just a idiot.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Google is showing me that it is a workout program called Kino Warrior shredding and it's big on intermittent fasting. So the guy is just a idiot.

I like my explanation better tbh

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Sorry if it's a derail but what's this I hear about intermittent fasting? It's something I see mentioned all the time online nowadays. Is it just another one of those fad diets?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Odddzy posted:

Sorry if it's a derail but what's this I hear about intermittent fasting? It's something I see mentioned all the time online nowadays. Is it just another one of those fad diets?

I do it, and like it. I just don't eat after 1800, and don't eat again until after 1000 (although I drink my coffee).

There are some people (like terry cruse) that go beyond that.

I don't know if it's good for everyone, but it's good for me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's nice in the sense you can eat more filling meals. Kinda easier, at least for me to eat or not eat versus eating more frequently but carefully.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

ahaha nice.

Our reminder is "It's not a contact sport, it's a combat sport."

All of our serious injuries in the last few years have come from dumb unlikely poo poo like skipping and cartwheels anyway. The last judo injury that happened in-club from the actual judo was when my tooth went through my lip, requiring two stitches, and I was the one throwing for that.

Is wearing a mouth guard not common in Judo? Seems like it'd make sense to do that but then again not many people I know wear mouth guards for BJJ or wrestling like I do.

Probably because they have dental insurance and I don't :smith:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i wear a mouthguard when rolling :shrug:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I wear a mouthguard for grapples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've never met anybody who didn't wear a mouthguard in BJJ. I've met some judo people who don't, they were old men and had some weird attitudes.