Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

I overrode our supervisor and TMU yesterday and closed the only remaining open departure gate out of FLL/MIA

Was that due to the storms in the afternoon and evening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Was that due to the storms in the afternoon and evening?

Summer thunderstorms in south Florida are a surprise to TMU, every time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I always enjoyed doing hood rat turboprop things threading cells and ATC asking how the ride was because “they haven’t had anyone go that way in a while” and calling it pretty decent considering.

Flying 135 was just the best :allears:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have a confession to make: I find military aviation boring as poo poo and I wish the AI thread would not talk about it as much.

Am I a broken pilot?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I like military airplanes but I hate acquisition and budget discussions. Like, who gives a poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

I like military airplanes but I hate acquisition and budget discussions. Like, who gives a poo poo.

I can respect them as feats of engineering, but I don't find them any more interesting than cool planes like DC-3s and Twin Otters, which actually have to be optimized for performance and price/efficiency.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

PT6A posted:

I have a confession to make: I find military aviation boring as poo poo and I wish the AI thread would not talk about it as much.

Am I a broken pilot?

Like, that there is some Aeronautical Insanity

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Am I a broken pilot?

I think it's neat to learn about bizarre military experiments that I've never heard of before -- like I remember finding out from that thread the details of how the first Sidewinders worked in 1959, and that was really cool. But the endless posts about how the F-35 is too expensive and bad / the A-10 is the coolest plane ever did you know they built the plane around the gun / have you ever heard this amazing story of an SR-71 requesting ground speed do get pretty trite.

I also am especially bored by that guy who makes mega effort posts about the whole procurement and service history of some obscure WW2 german bomber that they made three of that is mostly indistinguishable from an He-111 or whatever. I mean it's cool that he's into that but man I just do not care.

FWIW that thread is still like 1000 times better than any other aviation forum...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can you imagine how center field aviation would be if the military didn't exist?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

um excuse me posted:

Can you imagine how center field aviation would be if the military didn't exist?

Or if WWII and the cold war didn't happen.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
An airline pilot, a military pilot, and a AI poster walk into a bar:

Military pilot: "Hey I see you work for Cowboy Boots airlines, I'm thinking about putting my app in with them!"
Airline pilot: "Oh nice, we're hiring a lot right now. Good time to come over. What are you flying?"
Military pilot: "I'm on F-15 right now but our wing is transitioning to the F-35."
AI poster: "Oh man did you ever hear about this giant 8 engine boatplane thing the russians made it's turbine blades are forged out of a special type of metal that requires an argon rich environment when so that they resist corrosion from being near the sea so long which Lockheed totally didn't do to the second turbine spool on the f-35 engine so it's totally going to corrode and explode ripping a wing off and it's going to crash unlike that one f-15 that hit another airplane and lost most of it's wing but still managed to land like the a-10 which is designed to land with an entire vertical stabilizer missing because it's such a cool airplane and the cockpit it made out of titanium so the pilot won't get hurt if it gets shot but the gau-18 could totally stall the airplane if you fire it too long"
Airline pilot: ....
Military pilot: ....
Airline pilot: "I didn't know they served Yuengling this far west, neat."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Am I a broken pilot?

I've always had a very minimal interest in military aviation. I can appreciate it, but it wasn't my favorite thing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

PT6A posted:

Twin Otters, which actually have to be optimized for performance and price/efficiency.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fair point. The parts of military aviation that actually do interest me are, in general, the bits with some crossover into the civilian world, like SAR aircraft, logistics, surveillance, etc. -- which, frankly, don't get enough focus. It's the fighters and bombers -- the aircraft that are basically made exclusively for the military -- that make my eyes glaze over, especially when this happens:

KodiakRS posted:

AI poster: "Oh man did you ever hear about this giant 8 engine boatplane thing the russians made it's turbine blades are forged out of a special type of metal that requires an argon rich environment when so that they resist corrosion from being near the sea so long which Lockheed totally didn't do to the second turbine spool on the f-35 engine so it's totally going to corrode and explode ripping a wing off and it's going to crash unlike that one f-15 that hit another airplane and lost most of it's wing but still managed to land like the a-10 which is designed to land with an entire vertical stabilizer missing because it's such a cool airplane and the cockpit it made out of titanium so the pilot won't get hurt if it gets shot but the gau-18 could totally stall the airplane if you fire it too long"

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Approaching maximum irony. Possibly irony overload. More seriously, congrats and don't die.

Content: I overrode our supervisor and TMU yesterday and closed the only remaining open departure gate out of FLL/MIA because we had a Challenger pilot come over requesting higher, reporting "a very poor ride, at least continuous moderate," that sounded exactly like he was flying around in a UH-1. I've never heard a fixed-wing pilot getting the poo poo kicked out of him that badly.

To the flight crew of that Challenger: Sorry my TMU tried to loving kill you.

The only time I had to change level for turbulence was 2 weeks ago... diving a 330 to get the hell out of dodge is fun. Funny old thing, once a European pilot did that everybody starting being kept clear. And a sigmet appeared... but what the hell, people still tried to go to the bog in the middle of it, plus despite the pa that effectively tells everyone to sit down strap in and hold on the cabin crew still tried to do a service in the middle of that poo poo.... couldn't even see the damned instruments my eyeballs were bouncing so hard. Remember mantra, turn pull, turn pull.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

How???

Although had a first the other day... Orlando didn't try and put us visual coming in from Cuba. On the other hand being asked to confirm if the windshear was still there at c. 200ft on approach... why go to Florida for a sunshine holiday? Just take a drat brolly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The world wonders.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Fair point. The parts of military aviation that actually do interest me are, in general, the bits with some crossover into the civilian world, like SAR aircraft, logistics, surveillance, etc. -- which, frankly, don't get enough focus. It's the fighters and bombers -- the aircraft that are basically made exclusively for the military -- that make my eyes glaze over, especially when this happens:

When I started getting interested in aviation (circa age 8) I was 100% only into military aircraft, I suppose because that's what is most fascinating to little boys. They're pointy and loud and have guns and Top Gun is the coolest movie I have ever seen in my whole 8 years of life and so on. I had a bunch of flight simulators but the military ones were my favorite and I didn't really see the point in flying anything but the space shuttle or the SR-71 in X-Plane. Airliners were big and lumbering and general aviation planes were so boring.

I still play around in combat flight simulators, but now that I'm also learning to fly for real, the parts that have become the most fun are things that would have totally bored 8-year-old me. Putting a jet in slow flight and seeing how slowly I can drift over the base. Executing a perfect forward slip to land on a bridge with the engine out. Setting up IMC and navigating to the target using only NDBs and triangulation on a paper chart. I even like practicing the correct radio calls in multiplayer servers like a huge dork. I know it's just fundamentals but now the connection to real life makes it way cooler than flying a virtual F-16 with an autorudder and autoflaps and fly-by-wire that feels literally like a video game.

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L49ioi5PXqY

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 30, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I even like practicing the correct radio calls in multiplayer servers like a huge dork.

I mean, someone already took N42069 so

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, someone already took N42069 so

Somebody has N420DR too, on a loving drone :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

N31337 is some guy's chopper in Illinois

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
EI-EIO was actually owned by a farmer. Seneca, I think?

I believe he moved from Ireland to the UK, and it's now G-IEIO.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
There's an AB206 in the UK registered G-WIZZ.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

James May has G-OCOK, of course.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This one will never not make me chuckle:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

Am I a broken pilot?

I’m an airline pilot that hates airplanes, airports and people. I win

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
N-WEEDLORDBONERHITLER is some C172 in Detroit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

Only the first thing in that list is unusual, and only when applied to airplanes as a whole. I hate at least one element of every airplane in our fleet!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arson Daily posted:

I’m an airline pilot that hates airplanes, airports and people.

This entire statement is redundant.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

Same. I hate talking about any of those things to anyone, the best part of the job is the traveling and the long stretches of days off. I only like talking about it all if its to bitch and moan

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

The unofficial policy at DCA at SFB was "If you have a flight slot after about 2pm in the summer, don't bother showing up.".

Sagebrush posted:

When I started getting interested in aviation (circa age 8) I was 100% only into military aircraft, I suppose because that's what is most fascinating to little boys. They're pointy and loud and have guns and Top Gun is the coolest movie I have ever seen in my whole 8 years of life and so on. I had a bunch of flight simulators but the military ones were my favorite and I didn't really see the point in flying anything but the space shuttle or the SR-71 in X-Plane. Airliners were big and lumbering and general aviation planes were so boring.

I still play around in combat flight simulators, but now that I'm also learning to fly for real, the parts that have become the most fun are things that would have totally bored 8-year-old me. Putting a jet in slow flight and seeing how slowly I can drift over the base. Executing a perfect forward slip to land on a bridge with the engine out. Setting up IMC and navigating to the target using only NDBs and triangulation on a paper chart. I even like practicing the correct radio calls in multiplayer servers like a huge dork. I know it's just fundamentals but now the connection to real life makes it way cooler than flying a virtual F-16 with an autorudder and autoflaps and fly-by-wire that feels literally like a video game.

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L49ioi5PXqY

My interest in commercial aviation came from being part of a family who traveled a few times a year. I couldn't identify many military jets but could explain some of the easier to spot differences between the 747 models which were out at the time.

We got a computer when I was 8 and I would fly whichever the last FS game on DOS was (FS9?), but my attention span only allowed me to do "Fly the 172 or Lear from CGX to ORD" or "Dick around downtown Chicago." (my dad actually did stuff like simulated IFR XCs from LUK to CMH). As I got to high school, I'd do the "download a 757 with actual panel and maybe a soundpack for the buzzsaw whine and do ~1 hr flights" thing. I actually started flying at 17 and a line one of my friends used proved true: "Flight Sim ain't got poo poo on the real deal." (That said, our school has a Redbird and shooting ILSes in that is the best drat thing and I find myself slipping over there to do it more and more often.)

The other thing I was really into as a middle/high school avgeek were the cockpit ridealong DVDs JustPlanes puts out which I've posted about before. I only had a few of them (I bought a ton more at like $3 each when they had a fire sale in advance of going all-digital in 2015) but, between a scanner and listening to the ATC chatter they tapped into, I was able to stun my CFI with how good I was on the radio right out of the gate and I think he was stoked he had one less thing to teach, especially one students can have trouble with.

e-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjeyQdvxgj4

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 2, 2018

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I’ve always liked airplanes, going to watch airplanes, flying airplanes, playing flight sim, the whole nine yards. But then I got to the airlines and found out there are people much more enthusiastic and much nerdier than I am and they’re pretty insufferable

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I’ve always liked airplanes, going to watch airplanes, flying airplanes, playing flight sim, the whole nine yards. But then I got to the airlines and found out there are people much more enthusiastic and much nerdier than I am and they’re pretty insufferable

We had a student come in the other day who had pinned his uniform wings to a suit jacket for a meeting.

I died a little inside.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Pretty much verbatim my career so far.

That and 121 is so far removed from the romanticized idea of “flying” it barely even registers in my monkey brain as such.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

That and 121 is so far removed from the romanticized idea of “flying” it barely even registers in my monkey brain as such.

This is the thing, when I was flying GA I really felt like an aviator. Flying around storm clouds in the Caribbean, watching those beautiful sunsets, feeling like one with the machine and knowing everything about it. I miss those days. Too bad 99% of Part 135 are pond scum. I don't wanna seem like some rear end in a top hat who hates every aspect of being an airline pilot because I really don't see myself doing anything else now. I guess I do a lot of drunk posting and this contract negotiation is getting the worst out of me.

I hope I never have kids so I can afford to get back into GA as a hobby. Instruct for fun, etc.

Also, NYC based guys, I have a month long vacation (best part of being an airline pilot) anyone wants to meet up?

Animal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 3, 2018

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

Also, NYC based guys, I have a month long vacation (best part of being an airline pilot) anyone wants to meet up?

I'd love to but I got a 100% commutable line in May.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

I'd love to but I got a 100% commutable line in May.

That's awesome.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
A friend of mine that works at Atlas is making a pretty strong case of why I should apply there when I meet their mins.

Does anyone here have the deets on what they’re like? Because from what he’s telling me it sounds like it’d be extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

A friend of mine that works at Atlas is making a pretty strong case of why I should apply there when I meet their mins.

Does anyone here have the deets on what they’re like? Because from what he’s telling me it sounds like it’d be extremely my poo poo.

Its an awesome job with a great group of pilots that is tragically held back by an rear end in a top hat management group that insists on extending a bad contract for as long as they can milk it, so that they can keep creating bonuses for themselves and making more money than any other airline exec in the industry. If you like big airplanes, traveling the world, and prefer to work for long stretches of days and then have all your days off together, its for you. I bid my vacation smartly and am currently sitting in my Brooklyn apartment for the next 30 days drinking beer and growing a beard. As for money, after your first year you'll make between $70k-90k as an FO depending on aircraft. Upgrade is around 2.5 years on the 767, and I think another year for the 747. As a 767 captain you'll make about $120k which is pathetic, but at least you'll get that sweet sweet heavy PIC time. When we get the new contract I expect pay to be somewhat above Kalitta's and work rules to be the same as now or maybe a bit better. Unless Trump runs the country into another recession before a CBA is signed, which is what I'm sure the management group is hoping will happen.

I don't think we'll have a new contract in the next two years. I may sound super grumpy but I am glad I left the regionals to join Atlas. It's frustrating how close it is to a dream job. Feel free to ask me questions, even if they figure out who I am, they already have moles in our facebook group and if they hold grudges then I'm pretty sure I'm on their hit list already. I'm not afraid of talking openly here about the company. And I think there's one or two more Atlas guys here.

-edit-
of and of course I forgot to mention one of the things that give regional commuters an erection: we have gateway travel. The company will buy you plane tickets to and from work no matter where you are (within reason), and even if you are sitting reserve on base they will pay for your hotel. This may or may not get imputed for taxes. I have status with Delta, American, Hilton, IHG, etc and have over 100k miles/points with the first three.

Animal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 3, 2018