Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A shadowhawk without the shoulder gun just isn't a shadowhawk anymore :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gwaihir posted:

There's no rules difference for LoS, projectiles will go through hills and stuff. If a shot is partially blocked you just get a penalty to hit on it.

It's just that the game is inconsistent about what blocks LoS, or about animating the shots once it's determined it.

Speaking of which, I know when a targeting line is interrupted by an eye the targeted unit is in "cover" but what are the mechanics of that? The same 25% damage reduction as cover granted by forests?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How should I be building my mechwarriors towards melee anyway? I just made five of them gunnery/guts (I needed multi-target and guys kept getting headshot), one of them is tactics, and another's pilot and guns.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A shadowhawk without the shoulder gun just isn't a shadowhawk anymore :argh:

Well one of mine still has it!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Maybe I missed that, but I have had LOS shots that everything hits the rock near my mech (in one case, literally everything just exploded on the invisible hitbox or something a few inches from its front. Then the enemy proceeds to shoot me with every weapon it had directly through what I just couldn't.

Its crap like that which has me a little miffed when I'm being held to different rules than the Ai.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure anything makes me happier than punching out a center torso followed by a pointless flamer blast just to ensure no survivors

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

EdEddnEddy posted:

Maybe I missed that, but I have had LOS shots that everything hits the rock near my mech (in one case, literally everything just exploded on the invisible hitbox or something a few inches from its front. Then the enemy proceeds to shoot me with every weapon it had directly through what I just couldn't.

Its crap like that which has me a little miffed when I'm being held to different rules than the Ai.

This isn't them playing by different rules, this is all of your shots missed and none of theirs did. It's not unreasonable. :shrug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My fighting strategy has evolved from "whittle them down, see what we can salvage" to "there are eight of them surrounding us! Shoot the core! Shoot all the cores!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My strategy is to just litter the battlefield with ball bearings and watch mech pilots incap themselves

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The rule this game is missing from tabletop is displacement. If I can’t roll a mech of a cliff then what’s even the point of a knockdown?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

insanityv2 posted:

I'm a little overwhelmed with the non-tactical half of the campaign. Is there anything I ought to buy asap? Any traps to avoid?

There are no traps or huge mistakes to be made IMO. General agreement from players seems to be focus on upgrading your repair facilities when they become available because faster repair and refit is important, but honestly as long as you've got the money in the bank you can float in orbit for months waiting for poo poo to get done. Bottom line: don't run out of money. Aside from that you can do whatever you want.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, this was very lucky for me, I think that pilot has been skipping their guts points:

... was pretty hard to be careful with this thing, it's pretty scary. As are Stalkers.
(And the other Banshee variant was a lot more intimidating with its dual-PPC until it
overheated and blew up its somewhat damaged arm and shoulder).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taintrunner posted:

Not sure anything makes me happier than punching out a center torso followed by a pointless flamer blast just to ensure no survivors

In this assassination mission I coldclocked a Locust to blow it up immediately, followed by missile barraging a Thunderbolt to also blow it up almost immediately because all the ammo exploded. I had 2 picks for salvage, 3 from a Kintaro and 1 from that Thunderbolt. I ended with 2 and 1, so not bad! I have four heavies almost ready now lol. I've been getting by with mediums but I'm feeling pretty good about the loadout; 2 hawks, a vindicator and a centurion are pretty good.

quote:

My fighting strategy has evolved from "whittle them down, see what we can salvage" to "there are eight of them surrounding us! Shoot the core! Shoot all the cores!"

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I find it odd that hardpoints can accommodate any level of weapon. For example if your mech has 1 missile hardpoint, you can mount an LRM5 or an LRM20 without penalty, which makes the game balance a bit wonky. I realize that the Battletech implementation mitigates this a little bit by making the larger weapons occupy multiple "slots" that are static (4 available CT clots, 10 for L/R torso, 8 for arms, 4 for legs). In practice these slot limitations don't seem very meaningful since there are typically enough slots to allow a vast mix of weaponry that don't seem to logically fit the original model of the mech. Yes there are some designs that stack the hardpoints and modules such that you're forced to make compromises, and to me this feels like good game design.

I'm not very familiar with the source material but it feels like something that would limit the lighter mechs would be a restriction on the hardpoints. No mounting LLasers on a Locust, no AC/20 or LRM20 on a medium Centurion. The exceptions would be where the fluff allows oversized weapons that would excel in their class. The Shadowhawk 2D looks like the model has a pretty big left torso ballistic hardpoint, so it could be among the few medium mechs that can mount an AC/20. That could be a good enough reason to bring a particular variant over another to a battle. The Dragon... still sucks I guess but the catapult PPC variant would make more sense as one of the few chassis that can mount dual PPC, if PPC were limited to larger mechs. Without some kind of limitation the standard mech armament will always be outclassed by modified mechlab monsters.

That said I can see why the system is open-ended and uses tonnage as the limiting factor.
- Simpler to outfit mechs and swap equipment between
- Adding hardpoint sizes to each chassis would make for lots of micro-management and ultimately min/maxing, hunting for the exact "optimal" mech variant that accommodates a precise build

I wish there was a way to make stock mech loadouts more viable but the only thing I can come up with has to do with punishing custom mechs. Allowing "oversized" hardpoints and weapons ONLY in the slots that align with the physical mech model would be one way, but it would take away the fun of customization and end up subtracting more from the experience than it added. The downside of this a-la-carte mech customization is that the customs will always clean up on the stock designs. Maybe give small bonuses to mechs that run the standard armament of some kind? It always ends up sounding too customized and gamey, so the way it is could be the best compromise.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 1, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Served Cold with a 6-flamer firestarter is almost cheating lol. The Dragon fired uh, one medium laser and one LRM salvo, and the starting centurion didn't get to fire a single shot.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The female redneck voice I got with Ripsaw is the best voice in the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Strobe posted:

This isn't them playing by different rules, this is all of your shots missed and none of theirs did. It's not unreasonable. :shrug:

Yeah, that's exactly what it reads like to me. LOS is LOS. Actually hitting is another matter.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Asimov posted:

I find it odd that hardpoints can accommodate any level of weapon. For example if your mech has 1 missile hardpoint, you can mount an LRM5 or an LRM20 without penalty, which makes the game balance a bit wonky. I realize that the Battletech implementation mitigates this a little bit by making the larger weapons occupy multiple "slots" that are static (4 available CT clots, 10 for L/R torso, 8 for arms, 4 for legs). In practice these slot limitations don't seem very meaningful since there are typically enough slots to allow a vast mix of weaponry that don't seem to logically fit the original model of the mech.

In tabletop the slot limitations are a little more meaningful because when you roll on the critical hit table you're rolling to damage whatever is in a specific slot. So your 4-slot launcher is much more likely to be destroyed than your one slot laser. Especially if you mount it on some tiny mech with paper thin armor.

I feel it's balanced because while you can cram an LRM-20 onto a 40 ton mech it's going to be really hard to allow it to bring anything else. You're very deliberately building a glass cannon. I do agree that it's a little easier to get away with in this game, I think that's because the AI doesn't seem to evaluate the threat of the fire support mech launching salvo after salvo from behind a hill. It won't decide "it's worth a turn or two of risk to get over the hill and crush that mech." A real player would send something after that glass cannon immediately.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Having now gotten my hands on an actual atlas, the atlas 2 they sometimes stick you with on missions seems kind of...bad in comparison. Lostech or no those large lasers generate a fuckton of a heat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Regarding the discussion about slots and the catapult, I was wondering if instead of weapons being fitted to a set number of hardpoints in a location each location had tonnage slots dedicated to different weapon types.

That would make things like a hunchback more unique because it had enough ballistic slots to fit an AC20 in, whereas other mediums wouldn't. It would also mean that a Catapult would have a heap of missile slots so it could fit in two LRM-20s and be a better missile boat than other mechs who have more missile hard points but less missile room.

It would probably require a lot of re-balancing and possibly be groggy as hell but maybe it's something for a mod or for Battletech 2: Peace is Lostech

EDIT: Should I put 6 flamers on a grasshopper? I've been a little underwhelmed by them previously but it seems like a better bet than 6 medium lasers.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 1, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Or if "number of hardpoints" more closely resembled "maximum number of slots for X type weapons". ML Spam isn't a huge deal in this game, and won't be even if you can suddenly mount eight or ten of them (Hello there, Hunchback HBK-4P, no one uses you). Being able to fit "four crits" worth of missiles in a Shadow Hawk/Centurion/Griffin torso would go a long way toward loving with early established Best Build machines.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Asimov posted:

I find it odd that hardpoints can accommodate any level of weapon. For example if your mech has 1 missile hardpoint, you can mount an LRM5 or an LRM20 without penalty, which makes the game balance a bit wonky. I realize that the Battletech implementation mitigates this a little bit by making the larger weapons occupy multiple "slots" that are static (4 available CT clots, 10 for L/R torso, 8 for arms, 4 for legs). In practice these slot limitations don't seem very meaningful since there are typically enough slots to allow a vast mix of weaponry that don't seem to logically fit the original model of the mech. Yes there are some designs that stack the hardpoints and modules such that you're forced to make compromises, and to me this feels like good game design.

I'm not very familiar with the source material but it feels like something that would limit the lighter mechs would be a restriction on the hardpoints. No mounting LLasers on a Locust, no AC/20 or LRM20 on a medium Centurion. The exceptions would be where the fluff allows oversized weapons that would excel in their class. The Shadowhawk 2D looks like the model has a pretty big left torso ballistic hardpoint, so it could be among the few medium mechs that can mount an AC/20. That could be a good enough reason to bring a particular variant over another to a battle. The Dragon... still sucks I guess but the catapult PPC variant would make more sense as one of the few chassis that can mount dual PPC, if PPC were limited to larger mechs. Without some kind of limitation the standard mech armament will always be outclassed by modified mechlab monsters.

That said I can see why the system is open-ended and uses tonnage as the limiting factor.
- Simpler to outfit mechs and swap equipment between
- Adding hardpoint sizes to each chassis would make for lots of micro-management and ultimately min/maxing, hunting for the exact "optimal" mech variant that accommodates a precise build

I wish there was a way to make stock mech loadouts more viable but the only thing I can come up with has to do with punishing custom mechs. Allowing "oversized" hardpoints and weapons ONLY in the slots that align with the physical mech model would be one way, but it would take away the fun of customization and end up subtracting more from the experience than it added. The downside of this a-la-carte mech customization is that the customs will always clean up on the stock designs. Maybe give small bonuses to mechs that run the standard armament of some kind? It always ends up sounding too customized and gamey, so the way it is could be the best compromise.

There's no reason that a stock design has to be viable, given how many of them are designed poorly (or, rather, "quirkily") on purpose.

And the size thing is already somewhat of a solved issue, you're just not seeing the other half of it since the technologies that trade space for weight don't exist in this time period, and the inner sphere versions of said techs take up vast amounts of space. Of those 46 ish free spaces, 34 can be used up to save weight on a mech which naturally limits how many weapons you can bring.

In practice this is mostly a buff to light and medium Mechs that can now actually have armor to go with speef and a few guns.

Critical slots are also very much an issue on Assault Mechs that have more tonnage than space, especially with DHS.

Stock design also aren't married to any hard point scheme either- there's a stalker variant mounting a heavy Gauss rifle instead of missiles, etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone still has their discs and wants to Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is pretty easy to set up actually. Install wherever, delete imagehlp.dll out of Assets/Binaries, add /gosnovideo to the target, run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and as administrator, done. It even works with my 360 controller! Not nearly as cool without the old joysticks though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Inner Sphere tech will make you realize how much crit spaces matter.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Strobe posted:

Or if "number of hardpoints" more closely resembled "maximum number of slots for X type weapons". ML Spam isn't a huge deal in this game, and won't be even if you can suddenly mount eight or ten of them (Hello there, Hunchback HBK-4P, no one uses you). Being able to fit "four crits" worth of missiles in a Shadow Hawk/Centurion/Griffin torso would go a long way toward loving with early established Best Build machines.

I did refit and have been having really good luck with my ML grasshopper with flamers and MG's. It's definitely a one trick pony though, without the AI running in all the time he'd be screwed.

And my first assault mech is a Victor that had no arms or torso's that managed to headbutt my main character into an almost 4 month coma, but it was worth it. AC20+++ on that guy and he can really do some work.

The Banshee's are worthless though, I know somebody said it seemed like it was an assault mech designed to run in and punch people and guns were secondary to that. In the books, that's exactly what it was. It was designed to run in and punch stuff, with the PPC and AC/5 as support weapons. Problem being it's too slow, hastoo few guns, and not enough mobility without jump jets to really do poo poo. They're not even worth salvaging beyond selling as they have too few hardpoints to refit into something decent.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Amechwarrior posted:

So the goon discord (get in fools, check the OP) put together their custom logos.

Here you go and have goony fun. I threw in the old WOL logos I did back in the MWO days too.

The Valhalla skins feature unit emblems on them and I wish all the skins did too. I can add yours on the discord if you want them included.

hell yeah bropoc RIDES AGAIN

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
a lot of the lovely designs of stock mechs kinda feel like a deliberate effort to recreate the fact that real-life militaries field a lot of awful designs for reasons ranging from "the tech wasn't there to support the idea yet" to "someone got their palms greased to cut corners."

case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Taintrunner posted:

The female redneck voice I got with Ripsaw is the best voice in the game.

You obviously haven't heard the female canuck voice. :iia:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I got a second Centurion and was messing around with it before selling it and I'm almost certain I fit in a LRM 20/20/15, but now when I go to look at my main one it can only fit 20/20/10. I'm simply mistaken right? They were both the CN9-A.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/BooDooPerson/status/991134663560388608

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pattonesque posted:

a lot of the lovely designs of stock mechs kinda feel like a deliberate effort to recreate the fact that real-life militaries field a lot of awful designs for reasons ranging from "the tech wasn't there to support the idea yet" to "someone got their palms greased to cut corners."

case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

In practice the Bradley turned out pretty decent despite flaws and compromises.

But on paper it looks pretty bad and flawed, especially given the time it was designed.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Gwaihir posted:

There's no reason that a stock design has to be viable, given how many of them are designed poorly (or, rather, "quirkily") on purpose.

And the size thing is already somewhat of a solved issue, you're just not seeing the other half of it since the technologies that trade space for weight don't exist in this time period, and the inner sphere versions of said techs take up vast amounts of space. Of those 46 ish free spaces, 34 can be used up to save weight on a mech which naturally limits how many weapons you can bring.

In practice this is mostly a buff to light and medium Mechs that can now actually have armor to go with speef and a few guns.

Critical slots are also very much an issue on Assault Mechs that have more tonnage than space, especially with DHS.

Stock design also aren't married to any hard point scheme either- there's a stalker variant mounting a heavy Gauss rifle instead of missiles, etc.

Thinking it over, it would be interesting if some of the mechs had lopsided availability slots. The Catapult would have lots of torso slots but few (zero?) arms slots. The hunchback would have huge RT slots but not much on the other side, etc.

I haven't done the math on critical hits and damage resolution since I've never seen the tabletop game but that makes a lot of sense. Same with clan tech, although from what I've read the clan gear is an obvious upgrade over IS tech, such that you'd never willingly keep a stock IS mech design if clan tech were available.

And finally, it's cool that there are a variety of stock mech designs and different variants. It requires a little suspension of disbelief that a Mech designer in the future would make something quirky like the Dragon or what have you, but then again we created the F35-B and why would big stompy robots exist in the fist place if you stop and think about it but hell yes! :black101:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They do have lopsided slots already though. For whatever reason the Battletech game streamlines out the "reserved" slots but if your arms have joints then those joints take up critical slots and if they got hands they take up slots too.

If you got a mech with a gun arm and a people arm then the people arm has less available slots than the gun arm

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone still has their discs and wants to Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is pretty easy to set up actually. Install wherever, delete imagehlp.dll out of Assets/Binaries, add /gosnovideo to the target, run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and as administrator, done. It even works with my 360 controller! Not nearly as cool without the old joysticks though.

Probably gonna try this on the weekend. I think I have my old logitec joystick around.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to miss my Enforcer once I outgrow it. I like this silly mech.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

You obviously haven't heard the female canuck voice. :iia:

this one and the russian woman are absolutely fantastic. Anyone who likes Glitch should give these two a try because they make the game very silly

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Eej posted:

They do have lopsided slots already though. For whatever reason the Battletech game streamlines out the "reserved" slots but if your arms have joints then those joints take up critical slots and if they got hands they take up slots too.

If you got a mech with a gun arm and a people arm then the people arm has less available slots than the gun arm

Whoa, so that's why some of them punch better. I guess I should time-travel back into the 80's and read some FASA sourcebooks. It could have been me sleeping on the floor of 'MechCon between strategic map turns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I actually hate playing my main character because it's one less voice I can hear.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've found one guy who seems to have a male Glitch voice. Very similar lines, though I haven't heard her real gems yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I actually hate playing my main character because it's one less voice I can hear.

I was big on my PC at the beginning but really there's nothing special about her, just one more meatstick. May as well run other folks if they got the skillz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I really want someone to mod the loading tool tips to say the truth about the Battletech Universe as if Deadpool was talking about it.