Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Atomizer posted:

The 3001P is I guess now decent since it can bully poo poo especially in tier 6 skirmishes, having a decent gun, armor, and mobility; it always used to be fast in a straight line but with horrible maneuverability.
The VK30.01P has always been a decent tank once fully upgraded. The only problem I ever noticed with it was the hideous grind it took to get to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Well, back when it was same tier and class as both the 30.01H and 36.01H it was kinda poo poo compared to both of those. It's probably been buffed along the way, though I wouldn't know as I haven't played the thing in many years.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

RanKizama posted:

The VK30.01P has always been a decent tank once fully upgraded. The only problem I ever noticed with it was the hideous grind it took to get to that point.

Yeah, that tank is probably my favorite tech tree tank under tier 7. Great alpha, decent gun handling, reasonably fast. Then again I am really good in the tank, at 69 battles I have 1473.9 DPG, which would put me at #3 in it NA (once I get to 100 battles).

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 30, 2018

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

268 4 is top of tree in May on EU :stoked:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Got a 2.8 skill Polish crew so far, Poodle owns.

Also, whats everyone thoughts on the best Tank for HT-15 for the obj 260? I have approached it a few times primarily through damage done with some blocking, but most people seem to either stop shooting at me or just toss HE for 32 damage once they bounce me twice. I have gotten into the 13,000 with the Conq twice so maybe I'll just keep going with that until it finally clicks.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 30, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, that tank is probably my favorite tech tree tank under tier 7. Great alpha, decent gun handling, reasonably fast. Then again I am really good in the tank, at 69 battles I have 1473.9 DPG, which would put me at #3 in it NA (once I get to 100 battles).

So close

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I just started the WZ-132 today so stock gun and turret. This thing is actually fun. I'm averaging 1.3k assistance and the maneuverability lets you clown on TDs. I need about 5k more exp to get the top turret and 10m more view range but I'm already out spotting everyone. It feels pretty bad rear end. I think the stock gun might be the best gun? It feels really accurate and has enough pen for pizza box tanks armor.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

RanKizama posted:

Valle posted:

Well, back when it was same tier and class as both the 30.01H and 36.01H it was kinda poo poo compared to both of those. It's probably been buffed along the way, though I wouldn't know as I haven't played the thing in many years.

Along the lines on what Valle wrote, the 3001P was always the mediocre option back when there were the original 3 German tier 6 MTs. The 3001H had the same gun but better mobility, and the 3601 had the 88 or Koenisch as gun options and was better as a heavy-medium. The 3001P was just awkward, largely due to the aforementioned lack of mobility, but it never really had a place. Now, of course, we're in a post-Wargaming-fuckery world and they completely blew up the mid-tier German MTs/HTs (among other things) so nothing's as it used to be. :sigh:

2Jets posted:

I just started the WZ-132 today so stock gun and turret. This thing is actually fun. I'm averaging 1.3k assistance and the maneuverability lets you clown on TDs. I need about 5k more exp to get the top turret and 10m more view range but I'm already out spotting everyone. It feels pretty bad rear end. I think the stock gun might be the best gun? It feels really accurate and has enough pen for pizza box tanks armor.

On the Chinese higher-tier LTs, the smaller guns have always been viable as they have much better handling than the larger gun options, at the cost of pen & alpha.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Man, the T28 Proto is 1000% better once you get the Tier X gun. I can actually pen and damage things now!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Valle posted:

This does not exist in my world. Quite the opposite in fact. If I'm bottom tier and trying to more or less hide behind my higher tiers while taking potshots around them, enemy arty and everyfuckingthingelse will generally shoot me first. As far as I can tell "aim at high tier mentality" isn't a thing, but "bottom tier ez kill!" is.

How are your stats? If you're the lone blue/purple in a sea of tomatoes, you're probably getting XVM sniped.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I got XVM sniped really bad last night in my Lowe. 3 arty game on Malinovka and usually ate 2 shells from an M12 and su-14 every time I was spotted. Finished out the game with a 60k credit loss due to repair/med kit use and a total of 12 Arty hits/splashes.

Cant be too mad about it since I do the exact same thing to unicum mediums but I do wish we had all-chat back so I could gloat about it every time they missed.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

dennyk posted:

How are your stats? If you're the lone blue/purple in a sea of tomatoes, you're probably getting XVM sniped.

I get this too. It's not an xvm thing in my case either. It's just some kind of genius who knows my heavy teammate will bounce 5 shots off his stationary rear end so he better stare at my cover.

I took the focus of a mutant a type 59 and a centurian in my E-75 today. There were 5 other tanks that they could have damaged but they were happy plinking shots off my armor. I don't know how people decide what to shoot.

2Jets fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 30, 2018

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I installed XVM after not using it for years (I just got my first T10 arty and want to be a super scumbag) but removed it as I started getting packet problems to the point where I was even lagging out and disconnecting from games. It may have just been a coincidence but I removed it and things seem better.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

RanKizama posted:

Man, the T28 Proto is 1000% better once you get the Tier X gun. I can actually pen and damage things now!

Totally. I've had some absolute monster games since gettting the top gun. Still sitting at like a 38% WR, totally cursed in that thing.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

dennyk posted:

Been playing on EU lately, where my stats are green. I don't relaly think XVM sniping is as common as people think though. If a blue+ player is shooting me and ignoring what would normally be easier targets around me, sure. All players below that level though, even if they use XVM, I don't really expect them to have the focus and ability to pick me out properly.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I got XVM sniped really bad last night in my Lowe. 3 arty game on Malinovka and usually ate 2 shells from an M12 and su-14 every time I was spotted. Finished out the game with a 60k credit loss due to repair/med kit use and a total of 12 Arty hits/splashes.

This for example, I would probably think this was just a case of being in a very slow heavy tank, that can't dodge arty shells for poo poo. People playing arty just LOVE those. See driving the goddamned loving Black Prince.

BadLlama posted:

I installed XVM after not using it for years (I just got my first T10 arty and want to be a super scumbag) but removed it as I started getting packet problems to the point where I was even lagging out and disconnecting from games. It may have just been a coincidence but I removed it and things seem better.

Odd, never had any issues with XVM that way. I noticed they put a 6th sense mod in at some point, so you can see sixth sense of other people on your team go off, but only if they're running xvm as well obviously. That probably takes a little bit of bandwidth but shouldn't be enough to matter.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

One thing to point out about arty targeting is that you may not actually be being XVM sniped; if there's a limited selection of viable targets, you just might be one of them and coincidentally be the best player on the team. Particularly if you're in a slow HT, because if I have a choice between shooting that and an LT zooming around, I'm going to aim at the former regardless of stats. Also, there may simply be few spotted targets, and if you're one of them (another reason not to be the first or only thing the enemy team sees) then you're getting shot at.

There was a unicum in an IS7 (or similar) on Erlenberg a few weeks ago, and he was their team's best player, one of the only available targets, in a relatively sluggish tank, and he was basically out in the open in the field in the East, so I focused on him for most of the match in my M55. He was pissed about it after the battle (which we won) and understandably so, but in all honesty he was the best target for multiple reasons.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
yeah XVM sniping doesn't always happen but when you're in arti cover and unspotted, you peek out, shoot and get spotted and immediately go back to cover and three arti shells hit where you got lit up at, and it keeps happening when when your team has won the other flank and is literally ram killing one of the enemy artillery and the rest of them still loving focus on you, then you're probably getting XVM sniped.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

there's also some special type of artillery player that just won't switch targets no matter what

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Valle posted:

I noticed they put a 6th sense mod in at some point, so you can see sixth sense of other people on your team go off, but only if they're running xvm as well obviously. That probably takes a little bit of bandwidth but shouldn't be enough to matter.

It shows 6th sense of your teammates if they have it trained, whether they are using XVM or not.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Barry posted:

Totally. I've had some absolute monster games since gettting the top gun. Still sitting at like a 38% WR, totally cursed in that thing.
I was as low as 44% during the grind. Up to a 52% now since I can actually contribute to the fight and not start my team out 14-15.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh god, they're bringing the Chrysler K back tomorrow.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

lol

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I barely see these things are they as absurd as the defender?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Scapegoat posted:

It doesn't have great armament, but what it lacks in punch it makes up for in survivability when well-angled.

I'm not fishing for it, though - as it stands, there just isn't much incentive for me to get a US heavy crew trainer.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Scapegoat posted:

They're annoying to fight frontally but their gun is awful so no, no-where close to a defender which is annoying from every angle with a big gun.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I tried a new incoming shell-counting mod in Aslain's. It tells you the proportion of regular vs. gold shells and even splits it up into type (AP, APCR, HE, etc.) if you want. I mostly played tier 8-9 HTs and TDs tonight, but the ratio was <25% gold, which seems about right. If I was in something like a Maus or Type 5 I could see that proportion tick up, but for an "average" tank you're probably not seeing as much incoming gold shells as you'd think.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Hellsau posted:

yeah XVM sniping doesn't always happen but when you're in arti cover and unspotted, you peek out, shoot and get spotted and immediately go back to cover and three arti shells hit where you got lit up at, and it keeps happening when when your team has won the other flank and is literally ram killing one of the enemy artillery and the rest of them still loving focus on you, then you're probably getting XVM sniped.

From what I can tell, the huge majority of arty players suffer from serious tunnel vision syndrome. You'd think that with their ridiculous reloads and poo poo, they'd be the ones that have the best overview of how the battle is unfolding, but the number of arty who are unaware that a flank has failed and doesn't notice until a light tank is sitting behind them shooting them, is staggering. People are so loving poo poo at this game it's not even funny.

McGavin posted:

It shows 6th sense of your teammates if they have it trained, whether they are using XVM or not.

That sounds kinda cheaty tbh. But whatever.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hellsau posted:

I dunno about that. From playing arty around arty, lots of them are loving dumb and useless when it comes to team ply, they just focus down on damage.
I had one on Karelia with my SU-14-2 where I followed the team along the southern flank to the west while the other two arties parked in the normal corner way in the back. When the Northeast flank went I was pinging and telling them to move but they both sat there firing at some poo poo lit in the middle till both got murdered.
Sometimes I wonder how many players just shut off the minimap because it blocks the corner of the screen

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Clickers: "But why would I need a map when I'm not driving anywhere?"

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

dennyk posted:

Most Pubbies in Every Kind of Tank: "But why would I need a map when I'm not driving anywhere?"
FTFY

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Weeellll...not quite. People not in arty tend to use the minimap right at the start to see where they are in comparison to the enemy cap, and then just drive in that direction without ever looking at it again. They know where the cap is by then so why look at it again?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Atomizer posted:

I tried a new incoming shell-counting mod in Aslain's. It tells you the proportion of regular vs. gold shells and even splits it up into type (AP, APCR, HE, etc.) if you want. I mostly played tier 8-9 HTs and TDs tonight, but the ratio was <25% gold, which seems about right. If I was in something like a Maus or Type 5 I could see that proportion tick up, but for an "average" tank you're probably not seeing as much incoming gold shells as you'd think.

Even that is like 5x what WG says with the whole "less than 5% of rounds fired are gold rounds."

I don't think it's a total impossibility that the number is around there but it certainly doesn't tell the story of high tier gameplay. All it takes is one Pz1c shooting a few hundred standard rounds a match to balance out your tryhard Obj907 that fires off nothing but gold.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I only play the m53/m55 and it's fast so I zoom all over the map when it's tactically necessary. Not afraid to scout out bitches at the end of the round either. Guess I should put binocs on it.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
its pretty cool when arty does that. played a game on steppes the other day that came down to one arty on my team, one td on the other team. the arty scouted out the td, our maneuvered him to get him to waste a shot, then shotgunned him dead. it was impressive

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

They're annoying to fight frontally but their gun is awful so no, no-where close to a defender which is annoying from every angle with a big gun.

The Chrysler is absolutely, ludicrously good against other tier 8s specifically, and basically immortal to any lower tier tank. Playing 3 Chryslers and a 50100 on what was apparently the last tournament on NA felt pretty silly. It's a just a giant medium with ridiculous armor and a reasonable gun assuming you can shoot gold to allieviate the weak pen.

against higher tiers the armor does not matter and the pen is a bigger issue

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I nearly had an all-time win in in the 53/55 a couple days ago on live oaks. 4 consecutive shotguns in the city to crawl back from a sure loss only to get shotgunned by the enemy arty on a lucky snap shot in a 1v1 situation.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Atomizer posted:

you're probably not seeing as much incoming gold shells as you'd think.

Probably not. Some games I get shot by 5 tanks and not a single one fired premium rounds, other games, well:

(The 13 75 hits are two different clips)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

TBF when I play my french lights I sometimes just bring a whole load out of #2 key and nothing else.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If I'm driving an autoloader and my gold shell is APCR I'm running a full gold loadout. Most autoloaders can't afford to bounce when clipping someone out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Barry posted:

I don't think it's a total impossibility that the number is around there but it certainly doesn't tell the story of high tier gameplay. All it takes is one Pz1c shooting a few hundred standard rounds a match to balance out your tryhard Obj907 that fires off nothing but gold.

You haven't run into the Pz1c's and Luch's shooting several hundred gold rounds a match it seems :smuggo:

They're hilarious.