Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Asimov posted:

I find it odd that hardpoints can accommodate any level of weapon. For example if your mech has 1 missile hardpoint, you can mount an LRM5 or an LRM20 without penalty, which makes the game balance a bit wonky. I realize that the Battletech implementation mitigates this a little bit by making the larger weapons occupy multiple "slots" that are static (4 available CT clots, 10 for L/R torso, 8 for arms, 4 for legs). In practice these slot limitations don't seem very meaningful since there are typically enough slots to allow a vast mix of weaponry that don't seem to logically fit the original model of the mech. Yes there are some designs that stack the hardpoints and modules such that you're forced to make compromises, and to me this feels like good game design.

I'm not very familiar with the source material but it feels like something that would limit the lighter mechs would be a restriction on the hardpoints. No mounting LLasers on a Locust, no AC/20 or LRM20 on a medium Centurion. The exceptions would be where the fluff allows oversized weapons that would excel in their class. The Shadowhawk 2D looks like the model has a pretty big left torso ballistic hardpoint, so it could be among the few medium mechs that can mount an AC/20. That could be a good enough reason to bring a particular variant over another to a battle. The Dragon... still sucks I guess but the catapult PPC variant would make more sense as one of the few chassis that can mount dual PPC, if PPC were limited to larger mechs. Without some kind of limitation the standard mech armament will always be outclassed by modified mechlab monsters.

That said I can see why the system is open-ended and uses tonnage as the limiting factor.
- Simpler to outfit mechs and swap equipment between
- Adding hardpoint sizes to each chassis would make for lots of micro-management and ultimately min/maxing, hunting for the exact "optimal" mech variant that accommodates a precise build

I wish there was a way to make stock mech loadouts more viable but the only thing I can come up with has to do with punishing custom mechs. Allowing "oversized" hardpoints and weapons ONLY in the slots that align with the physical mech model would be one way, but it would take away the fun of customization and end up subtracting more from the experience than it added. The downside of this a-la-carte mech customization is that the customs will always clean up on the stock designs. Maybe give small bonuses to mechs that run the standard armament of some kind? It always ends up sounding too customized and gamey, so the way it is could be the best compromise.

A Centurion with an AC20 is one of the most famous modifications in the whole BattleTech universe! It's canon and everything! :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Coldforge posted:

Well, it's game over...for the Directorate :clint:

The missileboat of doom:

Missed the (missile) boat on this but holy poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

jng2058 posted:

A Centurion with an AC20 is one of the most famous modifications in the whole BattleTech universe! It's canon and everything! :shrug:

Yeah but then they "upgrade" it with a Gauss Rifle which just defeats the entire purpose of blowing someone's head off in close range.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

Missed the (missile) boat on this but holy poo poo.

None of those are LRM-20s. weak.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Welp, beat the campaign. Would've enjoyed it more if performance wasn't wonky. Even after culling my save games it'd still have lots of UI lag in segments like loading the mech bay management screen as well as swapping between mechs

The last final pair of missions are kind of piss easy compared to what came before but I felt they were a good capstone. By that point, the momentum is on the Restoration's side so you're never going to really face those nightmarish combination of forces you had in some previous missions. Plus, it also helps that I had two assaults and almost capped training mechwarriors, allowing me to field them with two heavies that all acted on the same phase. When the game first hinted that I would need multiple lances, I was excited but it just turns out it's two missions back-to-back. My Atlas only had dented armor but my Highlander was pretty hard hit, but my character got nailed twice my missiles while my Highlander pilot was spotless, so he got to take my Atlas out for a spin for the final battle.

I feel like they should add some extended merc contracts in, requiring you to do 2-3 missions in quick succession or maybe with one travel period between them. More money, more rewards, more reputation, but you want to preserve your mechs and/or have spares to meet the demand.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

110 weeks in and Weldry is secure!! Basically a cakewalk with two Shadowhawks, an LRM Jaeger and an Orion with an AC/20++ fuckin bloop gun that just cores whatever I point it towards.

Oops maybe if I'd gone faster the old man would still be alive :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Night10194 posted:

I'm going to miss my Enforcer once I outgrow it. I like this silly mech.

I made the Enforcer the sole medium of my sandbox and I actually quite like the thing, hell, I'm still running it stock. There are times I wish I had more AC/10 ammo though, but you just gotta be picky with your shots.

Still, its earned me a few mechs by slicing open cockpits with that large laser.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Oh man. I just got my first assault mech -- I got a piddly 2.5 skull Assassination mission that ended up being versus a Highlander with the extremely-poorly-maintained armor debuff, and was able to salvage the whole thing.

And now, it is an incredibly nasty close-range brawler. It nearly overheats itself on an alpha strike, but it's hard to complain when it can one-shot most medium mech CTs from the front, and has the jump jets to get into AC/20 range quickly. Come to daddy.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

jng2058 posted:

Right on then. I didn't know. It's pretty rad that you can weld an improbably huge weapon on any frame, it's metal as gently caress. I'd make a mech that's just an enormous LRM 100 missile battery...

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Synthbuttrange posted:

bleh well this exceeded my attention span

Oh God the little Atlas mask on the author in the corner is perfect.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Asimov posted:

Right on then. I didn't know. It's pretty rad that you can weld an improbably huge weapon on any frame, it's metal as gently caress. I'd make a mech that's just an enormous LRM 100 missile battery...

Hell, it's canon that some MechTechs with too many bits of salvage and not enough bits of salvage that actually match will slap together bits and pieces of different 'Mechs to create one (mostly) working 'Mech; this is common enough that the term "FrankenMech" is well-established throughout the setting. I think the Schwerer Gustav might be my favorite.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm suddenly reminded of one of my favorite nonmech TT units which is a Karnov tilt rotor transport helicopter filled to the gills with rocket launchers.

All single shot weapons but if you fired them all at once you could do up to like 160pts of damage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm sad that we'll have to wait til the clan era to get a Piranha,

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm sad that we'll have to wait til the clan era to get a Piranha,

I worked it out before the game came out but the Piranha would do something in the range of 300 damage with a single melee attack.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Bruceski posted:

I was big on my PC at the beginning but really there's nothing special about her, just one more meatstick. May as well run other folks if they got the skillz.

I need to look at the files, I am sure it would be possible to assign the PC Mechwarrior a standard voice set.

Also I am 50% of the way to a Steiner Scout Lance :(

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 1, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jack2142 posted:

I need to look at the files, I am sure it would be possible to assign the PC Mechwarrior a standard voice set.

Also I am 50% of the way to a Steiner Scout Lance :(

Unfortunately the save files are encoded or something, they're not easily modified unlike all the jsons left out for us to tinker with.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ullerrm posted:

Oh man. I just got my first assault mech -- I got a piddly 2.5 skull Assassination mission that ended up being versus a Highlander with the extremely-poorly-maintained armor debuff, and was able to salvage the whole thing.

And now, it is an incredibly nasty close-range brawler. It nearly overheats itself on an alpha strike, but it's hard to complain when it can one-shot most medium mech CTs from the front, and has the jump jets to get into AC/20 range quickly. Come to daddy.

With that heat generation you are never gonna fire all of those SRMs the 16.7 times it would take to deplete all of your missiles. Ditch one or two ammo packs for heat sinks imo. Personally I'd ditch an MLaser or two for more armor/sinks as well, but that's not quite as objectively good of an idea as shedding some ammo.

Could also swap out some SRM6s for SRM4s (especially if you have some + versions), which have more efficient heat per missile than the others. Would need less ammo for that too, and you could shove in heat sinks with the freed tonnage.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 1, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Mechs have a "baseline" heat dissipation rate, which heatsinks add to, right? Any way to find out what that is so I can tune my builds to dissipate the heat of all my guns firing?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm getting Assault mechs now but I still usually put my main scout in this, the Death Wolverine:

You can put out 145 damage in a single volley with enough additional stability damage to finish off knockdowns on unstable mechs. Long jump range too, and it can take a few hits. Yeah, you're rolling the dice on the legs but they have >100hp between armor and structure, so a single lucky AC20 shot won't take a leg out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

pedro0930 posted:

Yes. You'll see a passive effect icon when you are deployed leaving no doubt it's just straight up +2 hit difficulty modifier.

Jesus how can all the default mech load out be so terrible? Whenever you start customizing your mech you always end up with 50% more firepower and almost full armor and higher mobility than the default load out.

The weapon balance isn't great at the moment, autocannons are still broadly a bit poo poo (especially the AC10), large energy weapons are total garbage to the point that fitting even one of them to your mech is gimping it, and LRM10s are bizarrely inefficient compared to all of the other LRMs, for some reason. This is a problem because most of the vanilla mech designs are like 1AC10, 1LL, 1LRM10, 2MLs.

The "my mechs have no armour" thing is just a bizarre design point.

Kenshin posted:

I'm getting Assault mechs now but I still usually put my main scout in this, the Death Wolverine:

You can put out 145 damage in a single volley with enough additional stability damage to finish off knockdowns on unstable mechs. Long jump range too, and it can take a few hits. Yeah, you're rolling the dice on the legs but they have >100hp between armor and structure, so a single lucky AC20 shot won't take a leg out.

You can scout just fine in an Orion with JJs or something and the V variant with 3 SRM, 2 ML is completely badass

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Gort posted:

Mechs have a "baseline" heat dissipation rate, which heatsinks add to, right? Any way to find out what that is so I can tune my builds to dissipate the heat of all my guns firing?

This is where tabletop knowledge helps - 'Mechs start with a built-in 10 heat sinks, so you're sinking 30 heat/turn before you put more in the design.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hard points are transferred almost 1:1 from Mechwarrior online, which is why they're a bit nonsensical for this game sometimes. They match up with the weapon visuals on the mech so they have some purpose at least.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Just finished the story (after entirely too much derping about), I quite liked it. Victoria was a bit :rolleyes: but at least there was some justification for her behavior given how the massacre on Perdition affected her. The writing otherwise was actually pretty decent and I think it made for a really good Battletech story, basically gave me everything I wanted. Gameplay-wise, the core product is solid. There's hiccups and nitpicks galore but I think it's safe to say this is one of the better games the setting has produced. I really like a lot of the little tweaks to the core formula as well. Best thing they can do now is fix bugs and make more content, especially more mechs and more reasons to use them. Overall, I'm very pleased with the product. Feels like a good value for my money and definitely something I'll put another dozen or two hours into, even without additional content.

Now bring us Battletech: Operation Revival and we'll really be talking!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SilverMike posted:

This is where tabletop knowledge helps - 'Mechs start with a built-in 10 heat sinks, so you're sinking 30 heat/turn before you put more in the design.

Do all mechs have a Heat capacity of 100? (modified by skills ofc)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Arrath posted:

Do all mechs have a Heat capacity of 100? (modified by skills ofc)

Yeah, no 'Mech should have extra heat capacity. (there's probably some bullshit tech in the tabletop game to prove me wrong)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SilverMike posted:

Yeah, no 'Mech should have extra heat capacity.

Awesome, thanks. I guess the followup question is the Guts 6 skill for +15 overheat threshold for Overheat, IE 115 capacity, or +15 to the Critical Shutdown point?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm currently stuck on the Campaign mission where you land on the Moon to destroy the Directorate Jumpship, how the hell did they expect you to fight nearly 2+ lances of Mechs while still blowing up the Jumpship in 9 turns?

If you're talking about Liberation: Panzyr, I personally just sprinted past the enemy mechs to the objective. The evasion from sprinting was enough to avoid any serious damage and one alpha strike was enough for the target.

fadam posted:

Is this game supposed to be running this poorly or did I screw something up with my latest driver install? I have a 1080ti and I'm only getting like 30-50 fps in missions.

I have a 1080ti as well, and no performance problems on my end at 4k with max settings. Just random end of mission crashes.

Lprsti99 posted:

Ugh, game's been running fine (well, not fine, but no crashes) up until today, but now when I try to run it it crashes immediately. Tried restarting Steam, verifying files, and opting into the beta patch, nothing is working :(

I had a 100% failure to initialize graphics crash that suddenly started happening after playing a few times. A reboot magically fixed it, so maybe try that, if you haven't already.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 1, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Argas posted:

I feel like they should add some extended merc contracts in, requiring you to do 2-3 missions in quick succession or maybe with one travel period between them. More money, more rewards, more reputation, but you want to preserve your mechs and/or have spares to meet the demand.

MW2 and 4 both had plenty of side missions that worked like this and were disconnected from the main plot. I miss them. There were the randomly generated single missions and then the campaigns usually of 3 or 4 missions where you were stuck with the mechs and parts you have on hand, with debriefings and fiction stuff between missions. You got paid after each mission, too, plus a campaign bonus when you finished it.

I loved the one in MW2 where you were helping out some rebels near the start of the game and the briefing is like “they’re bringing in half an army so we’re loaning you an 85-ton assault mech for this one, good luck”

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Now the question is...do I make a double Gauss King Crab or do I do the SRM boat version....hmm

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
So hey, can injured pilots randomly passout?

I was doing a mission to assassinate some guy, and he was in an ONI-K

I pushed him over, injuring him, he got up, I legged him, injuring him, he got up, I missed a single AC20 shot at him, and just got this message over his head saying pilot incapacitated, and it fell over.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
edit: oops I misread

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My game has never crashed and I haven't had any performance issues either, it's good to be lucky sometimes. Gtx 970 2560x1600, 8700k, 16gb 3600mhz ram, samsung ssd. Now I wish for a weapons balance patch, lrm's feel too OP.

The game doesn't even heat up my pc that much, compared to pubg at least.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

fadam posted:

Is this game supposed to be running this poorly or did I screw something up with my latest driver install? I have a 1080ti and I'm only getting like 30-50 fps in missions.

i7-7700HQ laptop with a 1060 6GB and a 4k panel, and while I don't have a confirmed frame rate count, it's not something I've seen stutter. Everything set to high. The fans don't really crank up, and I'm not keeping my airport lounge soup warm with the heat output. Only issue is loading the game off a 2.5" drive, but I could just as easily move it to the NVMe storage.

(Running this laptop through airport xray machines is fun because it's all heat pipe, and the worst battery in the world)

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Welp, my luck with my old potato rig ran out. My game window disappeared while I tabbed out and now it starts up as a minimum sized window, so... yeah. :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And half of them were picked because the Wolves thought "Well these were kinda crappy back in the day, so they shouldn't raise eyebrows, right?" :downs:

"You have how many Fleas and Annihilators?!" :stare:

They at least had it right about the Flea, the Anni stuck out because it was a prototype city fighter used against Amaris that no one had any record of.
The Dragoon exclusive that takes the cake is the Imp, which was technically a Star League design... developed after the Exodus and prior the exiles' collapse into civil war.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AttackBacon posted:

Now the question is...do I make a double Gauss King Crab or do I do the SRM boat version....hmm

Err Isn't there one single Gauss gun in the entire game?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is that why I killed so many fleas in mw4?

One of my fondest memories from MW4:M multiplayer was jumping into a Flea with 2 small pulse lasers and tearing around the place spamming "FEAR THE FLEA!" while annoying assaults by jolting them constantly so they couldn't hit me with their PPC boats. One round I got half the server in on the action and we had a dozen or more Fleas tearing around the place. Good times.

Of course, if they did hit me, I was one-shotted :smith:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone still has their discs and wants to Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is pretty easy to set up actually. Install wherever, delete imagehlp.dll out of Assets/Binaries, add /gosnovideo to the target, run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and as administrator, done. It even works with my 360 controller! Not nearly as cool without the old joysticks though.

MW4: Mercenaries was released for free a few years back; I think it got withdrawn or something later so I'm not sure what the current legalities are, technically speaking. And if you install the right classic codec pack you can skip /gosnovideo and get the old cutscenes etc.

What old joysticks do you have in mind? Works fine with my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro; you can still buy those.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SilverMike posted:

Yeah, no 'Mech should have extra heat capacity. (there's probably some bullshit tech in the tabletop game to prove me wrong)

There's some rare tech you can get in the game like Heat Banks which give you extra heat capacity and overheat threshold. Found one in a store once.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Btw um from that interview with Battletech's creator a few pages back, uh -

'this is a very conscious retelling of the Roman successor states, with the fall of Julius Caesar, Mark Antony and so on, tracking down and killing the people who killed Julius Caesar, and then proceeding to eat each other, to a point where, over a course of several hundred years, until the Mongols eventually invade and we end up in the Dark Ages. Not because of the Mongols, but because of the Romans consuming each other. It’s very much that kind of a retelling.'

This is a very, very :psyduck: and incredibly inaccurate way of describing the history of the Roman Empire. 'Roman successor states' after Caesar eats a knife, what? Not that it matters, I guess, if the fluff's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay this mission looks cool and HEY WHAT THE HELL! GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE WITH THAT KINTARO