Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Did they accidentally give people active anthrax or something? Why 100%? Sounds pretty loving ominous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you have your medical records, they may (should?) have the lot numbers for stuff they've jabbed you with.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Contaminated samples IIRC

Thing is they’ve know about problems since 04 or so.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Where do you get your medical records? I got sent a copy of my entire personnel files after I retired, but I don't think that included my medical record. I know the VA has access to them, but I highly doubt they're going to cross check the lot numbers for me, and I'd rather know now whether or not I've been given super AIDS.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Did they accidentally give people active anthrax or something? Why 100%? Sounds pretty loving ominous.

Bad batches have permanently crippled some people badly enough that they cannot function.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Looks like i’m in fav109 and fav281 so in the clear

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Naked Bear posted:

If you have your medical records, they may (should?) have the lot numbers for stuff they've jabbed you with.

Mine do not.

U.S. Barryl posted:

Where do you get your medical records? I got sent a copy of my entire personnel files after I retired, but I don't think that included my medical record. I know the VA has access to them, but I highly doubt they're going to cross check the lot numbers for me, and I'd rather know now whether or not I've been given super AIDS.

You're supposed to get a copy when you separate; if you didn't, I think you can get them from the US Archives.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Mine do not.

You're supposed to get a copy when you separate; if you didn't, I think you can get them from the US Archives.

I’ve got multiple copies of forms that list all my vaccines and batch numbers. One from the end of my enlistment/commissioning and one from when I separated.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Syrian Lannister posted:

I know this is from FB, but there have been a couple of shares now regarding bad batches of certain anthrax shots given between 2001-2007.

Double check with your VA rep to see if this is actually a thing, and if it applies to you.

Screen grabs of what is floating out there

pt 1

pt 2

Yeah, not an actual thing. VA will never pay compensation simply because something happened. You have to demonstrate a current disability related to a documented event in service. So the only way this would work is if you got a contaminated injection and got like meningitis or something as a result.

Of course, that holds true for anything, regardless of the cause.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Bad batches have permanently crippled some people badly enough that they cannot function.

Yikes, that sucks. You'd think it would it the news or something. I guess it's just as well it doesn't, so as not to make anti-vaxxers crazier than they already are. But you'd think a responsible VA would do some contact/outreach instead of letting people find out via Facebook forwards. Of course, I know better than to expect that, but still, sheesh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

cult_hero posted:

Yeah, not an actual thing. VA will never pay compensation simply because something happened. You have to demonstrate a current disability related to a documented event in service. So the only way this would work is if you got a contaminated injection and got like meningitis or something as a result.

Of course, that holds true for anything, regardless of the cause.

Or it could be the answer to why I had a sudden onset of lower extremity issues. I doubt it, just nice to think about after having doctors be clueless after 4-5 years.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Or it could be the answer to why I had a sudden onset of lower extremity issues. I doubt it, just nice to think about after having doctors be clueless after 4-5 years.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Yikes, that sucks. You'd think it would it the news or something. I guess it's just as well it doesn't, so as not to make anti-vaxxers crazier than they already are. But you'd think a responsible VA would do some contact/outreach instead of letting people find out via Facebook forwards. Of course, I know better than to expect that, but still, sheesh.

I have an old Army friend who is anti-CAC level crazy because it “isn’t natural.” She refuses poo poo like small pox and used to hawk out the flu vaccine you had to sniff.

She got hit with two of the places and batches I think. This has not helped her see the brighter side of science.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just hired an attorney for my stuff.

I hope this isn’t money wasted.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Soulex posted:

Just hired an attorney for my stuff.

I hope this isn’t money wasted.

I've done the same, hope it works out for you too. Also, my attorney pointed me towards this. It's probably a long shot, but why not? It's a class action law suit against foreign banks that funded terrorism.

https://iraqwarfund.com/

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Check your AHLTA electronic medical record copy PDF for the lot number. You should have requested this prior to getting out from your medical unit.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Hey so super lame question but... how/if/does/ marijuana use affect your use of the VA? Their website says that marijuana use doesn’t preclude you from any benefits but I want to make sure that showing up to this advocate meeting or any resulting appointments after with THC in my system isn’t going to gently caress me over? Will it affect my chances of getting a job with the VA either in the short term if school somehow doesn’t work out or in he long term if school does work out? I know you can’t actively use while employed by the VA but how much do they frown upon past use?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You remember how you had to fill out your redeployment crap or “mental health survey” where they ask you about how much booze you drink and you always put “few to none?”

Think of it like that.

I know a lot of people who work in the VA that use. I’ll bluff all the way until they test my pee

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
When it comes to dealing with the bureaucracy, you have nothing to gain by admitting to any dabbling with marijuana, alcohol, anything.

If you're verbally communicating with your actual doctor-- sure. But forms don't need to have any of that poo poo on it

edit: reread your post and I'm not actually responding to anything in particular, it seems. oh well

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I know people who use weed all the time, don't talk about it, and have never had any problems.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 21, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As far as I know the VA will never call you in for a random piss test. And if they set an appointment where you have to pee in a cup, just cancel it and stop smoking for a bit and do it later.

It’s the VA, not the military.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Certain VA positions are designated as drug testing positions and you will be tested prior to an offer of employment, and also possibly later on. You will not be told that you are scheduled for testing. Others you probably won't be tested after you start.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

As far as I know the VA will never call you in for a random piss test. And if they set an appointment where you have to pee in a cup, just cancel it and stop smoking for a bit and do it later.

It’s the VA, not the military.

When I asked the doctor about ADHD (I was treated as a child so I was curious about it as an adult) they immediately made me piss in a cup.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

What positions are those? Asking for a friend

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Soulex posted:

What positions are those? Asking for a friend
Pretty much anything involving patient contact, but I would bet on being tested regardless of what the job is. I did not get piss tested when I was hired, but most of the new (potential) hires do.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Awesome. I know my two buddies don’t but only one works the same field as me. Thanks.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Naked Bear posted:

Pretty much anything involving patient contact, but I would bet on being tested regardless of what the job is. I did not get piss tested when I was hired, but most of the new (potential) hires do.

It's not limited to patient contact. I work in sterile processing and have absolutely no contact with patients and had to be drug tested prior to the VA offering a position and signed a form that I can be drug tested at any time. It's more along the lines of could you get someone killed? Yes? Then you need to submit to testing. There were people in my orientation that were exempt from drug testing. Those who were working in the canteen, housekeeping/janitorial, and logistics. Not sure about any other type of employee.

And as a patient, I have been denied medication refills until I showed up and gave them a urine sample. The doctor specifically said they are screening patients for weed, and will deny medications if you have a positive urinalysis.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ve always been 100% open and honest with my VA docs about my smoking and have never had an issue with anything.

I figure it varies by region/doctor.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had one doc basically ostracize me on the spot and declare that I was better on medications.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
3am posting because this is the poo poo that's literally keeping me up at night clenching my teeth. I assume this will also get quickly lost in the clutter so I guess I'll just scream at the loving wall here for minute.

My primary care doc at my local VA is constantly negligent, so much so that my essential meds are a week+ late--FOR THE FOURTH TIME in almost a half a year. At first thought I was calling late or maybe I should call to refill EARLIER than is stated on the instructions. Not so, as I called 2 weeks in advance last time (3rd time) and the same debacle happened where I didn't receive the next month's supply until a week AFTER they were due. Now, it's "just" Adderall but I'm sure any of you that has been prescribed it will attest that it's a poor idea to just stop taking it one day and expect your workday to be productive the next day or in some cases up to 2 weeks afterward.

Ive never been so angry with an old woman before and it's making me sick to my stomach that the person that is supposedly on the hook for giving an iota of a poo poo about me is behaving...viciously? I don't really know how else to put it. Multiple times I've called to ask what makes this task so particularly difficult and I've gotten "she's been on vacation" but apparently the doc working in her stead is also worthless and even when I call her office she is always "with a patient" (which is fine and believable) but goddamn. This last time I called Ive asked to receive a new PCM where I was next told to fill out a form that would be mailed to me. Never received anything in the mail so today during my lunch hour I call again. I don't have regular access to my phone during my workday (typical work hours) and this only exacerbates the problemset.

So yeah, life's real fun when walking around in a sort of loving fugue because your puddle-of-baby-poo poo PCM refuses to do their literal job.

My company offers medical insurance, which I took advantage of last year, but that was also a losing game that turned out to be incredibly expensive for me. The only reason I've been using the VA is because meds were basically free compared to very expensive for my previous insurance. I suppose we get what we pay too much of our tax dollars for: more viciously subversive incompetence to what end, I couldn't tell you.

I don't know what the gently caress I'm supposed to do anymore. Doesnt seem like any recourse I've already tried has been particularly fruitful and may have made things worse in the case of me asking if my PCM is even a real employee of the VA. The situation feels monsterous and I'm tired of feeling like the butt of a particularly cruel joke that I'm not intelligent enough to understand. This all seems like a relatively simple issue that just shouldn't come up multiple times but here I am posting on a dead gay forum. So yeah important news, the VA is run by a bunch of dumbasses.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Patient Advocate, my man.

They have one, and they work for you. Sometimes called Ombudsman. Either way, get in contact with them- and they’ll help unfuck your poo poo.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

They have one, and they work for you. Sometimes called Ombudsman. Either way, get in contact with them- and they’ll help unfuck your poo poo.

If the patient advocate doesn't work, call the local VA directors office. I had some issues with the Patient Advocate not doing her job, I did some google-fu and found the director's number. I had my wife call as I was livid at the incompetence and within 30 minutes my issue was resolved. Hope you get your med issue sorted out.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

Man I called them a while ago and that's how it was decided I'd change PCMs. Except it's up in the air now because no other ones are available until the end of summer. I think. Again I've had girlfriends in my 20s that were more communicative than the VA.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Medlar posted:

Man I called them a while ago and that's how it was decided I'd change PCMs. Except it's up in the air now because no other ones are available until the end of summer. I think. Again I've had girlfriends in my 20s that were more communicative than the VA.

I only have the one card to play in this thread, and it’s the patient advocate. After that I’ll just invite you to come to Memphis and get baked.

Wanna get baked?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What region are you in? All of my meds with refills go through a reorder system that doesn’t go through my doc at all.

Are you using myhealthevet to email your doctor? I prefer that over phone calls, personally. VA policy (at least in N.FL/So.GA) is response from a team nurse within 1 bus. day and two for a response from then doctor herself.

Doctors not reading/responding to emails is a big deal to them.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I only have the one card to play in this thread, and it’s the patient advocate. After that I’ll just invite you to come to Memphis and get baked.

Wanna get baked?

The patient advocate at the Memphis VAMC is the guy I had complaints about when I went there. I didn't get anywhere with my complaints, oddly enough.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

McNally posted:

The patient advocate at the Memphis VAMC is the guy I had complaints about when I went there. I didn't get anywhere with my complaints, oddly enough.

I was having problems getting an outside appointment in Wichita, when I spoke to the Patient Advocate she told me how she used to work in the department that sourced appointments and how the whole process worked, she also mentioned how she was friends with the person who kept dropping the ball. I gave her the amount of time that she said the process takes and then called back and she gave more excuses for her old office. That's when I looked up the local VA Medical Director's phone number and called him. The patient rep called back within 30 minutes and apologized and my appointment was scheduled the next day. Even the Patient Advocates have a boss, don't be afraid to be pushy to get the treatment you need.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MonkeyWash posted:

I was having problems getting an outside appointment in Wichita, when I spoke to the Patient Advocate she told me how she used to work in the department that sourced appointments and how the whole process worked, she also mentioned how she was friends with the person who kept dropping the ball. I gave her the amount of time that she said the process takes and then called back and she gave more excuses for her old office. That's when I looked up the local VA Medical Director's phone number and called him. The patient rep called back within 30 minutes and apologized and my appointment was scheduled the next day. Even the Patient Advocates have a boss, don't be afraid to be pushy to get the treatment you need.

Oh, I just wrote him a scathing email explaining how many times I tried getting in touch with him after he'd stopped responding to me after our initial contact (I got put in touch with him after a call to a veteran suicide helpline) and telling him that I'm not going to commit suicide, despite his best efforts.

And CC'd everybody in his office.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Fuckin' a. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:getin: