Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

Whereas America's is…

Not orange, not shaped like a dong, and not in Europe. :confused:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lol of your dick isn't a gargantuan mass of veiny pulsating flesh shaped exactly like the 48 contiguous United States with tumorous blobs in the likeness of Alaska and Hawaii hovering ominously around it in an irregular and vaguely sinister manner.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Platystemon posted:

The joke is that Donald Trump is a dick.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Platystemon posted:

first of all, the joke was so goddamn obvious you should be ashamed.

Second, even if it wasn't about are commander, florida is the land of oranges

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hate metonymy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Vietnam I understand, but what the gently caress is up with Morocco?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Orange Devil posted:

Vietnam I understand, but what the gently caress is up with Morocco?

They have had a cease‐fire against Polisario Front in Western Sahara since 1991 but things are still tense.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
e: or no data.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 1, 2018

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Platystemon posted:

They have had a cease‐fire against Polisario Front in Western Sahara since 1991 but things are still tense.

Things are "tense" in that Morocco ist occupying most of Western Saraha

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I just have to say, the maps thread is my favourite place on the forum, and you folk are what makes it worth coming back here.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The reckon that they hooked up the last village without electricity 3 days ago, too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Technocrat posted:

I just have to say, the maps thread is my favourite place on the forum, and you folk are what makes it worth coming back here.

So what's that region of outdoor shitters near the appendicitis of India?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Technocrat posted:

Kerala owns

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Technocrat posted:

I wonder how accurate that is or if it's a bureaucratic fudge.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

vyelkin posted:

Kerala owns

:ussr:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Bihar, widely perceived to be The Worst Place in India, a country full of bad places

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Flayer posted:

I wonder how accurate that is or if it's a bureaucratic fudge.

I dare say not even every household in the western countries has a toilet, let alone in entire provinces in India. A quick Google search shows that 1.5 million households in the US don’t have a flushing toilet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, how did they manage this in three years? Are most of those latrines without running water?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

So, how did they manage this in three years? Are most of those latrines without running water?

I don't know but there's been big national campaigns on the issue.

Like, campaigns convincing people flushing toilets are a good idea, and if one gets built, they shouldn't use the room to store firewood or house animals.

Its impressive progress if true.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

toilets arent that expensive or complicated, it's just a question of throwing money at infrastructure and getting people to use it. many of the toilets have limited running water, and are just pit toilets

http://www.swachhbharaturban.in

also the stats are... not reliable. they're making progress but there's no way that map is accurate

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 1, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What does pradesh mean? I'm guessing it's "district" or "country" or something similar in one of the major languages.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What does pradesh mean? I'm guessing it's "district" or "country" or something similar in one of the major languages.

something like "state" but or "province" but since india has thousands of years of history there are tons of legacy names from when some flyspeck town was the capital of a massive empire or something so not every subnational jurisdiction has the pradesh label applied

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Technocrat posted:

I call BS on going from <50% all the way to 100% in Gujarat in 3 years.

edit: I did a quick calculation and they'd have to install something like 6.24 million toilets in 3 years.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 1, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Speaking of India and maps, there's a gorgeous and incredibly detailed historical atlas at http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/schwartzberg/

I can't post the maps here directly because it's using some dumb loving flash viewer for some reason, but check out some of these:

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/schwartzberg/pager.html?object=076

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/schwartzberg/pager.html?object=097
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/schwartzberg/pager.html?object=102

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/schwartzberg/pager.html?object=098

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I dare say not even every household in the western countries has a toilet, let alone in entire provinces in India. A quick Google search shows that 1.5 million households in the US don’t have a flushing toilet.

The USA is a trash country, hth

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

sebzilla posted:

The USA is a trash country, hth

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:psyduck:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/05/hookworm-lowndes-county-alabama-water-waste-treatment-poverty

quote:

The peer-reviewed research paper, published in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, focuses on Lowndes County, Alabama – the home state of the US attorney general, Jeff Sessions, and a landmark region in the history of the nation’s civil rights movement. “Bloody Lowndes”, the area was called in reference to the violent reaction of white residents towards attempts to undo racial segregation in the 1950s.

It was through this county that Martin Luther King led marchers from Selma to Montgomery in 1965 in search of voting rights for black citizens, More than half a century later, King’s dream of what he called the “dignity of equality” remains elusive for many of the 11,000 residents of Lowndes County, 74% of whom are African American.

The average income is just $18,046 (£13,850) a year, and almost a third of the population live below the official US poverty line. The most elementary waste disposal infrastructure is often non-existent.

Some 73% of residents included in the Baylor survey reported that they had been exposed to raw sewage washing back into their homes as a result of faulty septic tanks or waste pipes becoming overwhelmed in torrential rains

Flowers took the Guardian on a tour of Lowndes County to witness the conditions in which hookworm continues to proliferate. One stop was at a group of mobile homes outside Fort Deposit that graphically illustrated the crisis.

An eight-year-old child was sitting on the stoop of one of the trailers. Below him a white pipe ran from his house, across the yard just a few feet away from a basketball hoop, and into a copse of pine and sweet gum trees.

The pipe was cracked in several places and stopped just inside the copse, barely 30ft from the house, dripping ooze into a viscous pool the color of oil. Directly above the sewage pool, a separate narrow-gauge pipe ran up to the house, which turned out to be the main channel carrying drinking water to the residents.

Thigpen’s cousins live in the trailer park, and he has talked to them about the perils of piping sewage from their homes and dumping it in the open just a few feet away. “They are disgusted about it, they’re sick and tired of living like this, but there’s no public help for them here and if you’re earning $700 a month there’s no way you can afford your own private sanitation.”

He added that people were afraid to report the problems, given the spate of criminal prosecutions that were launched by Alabama state between 2002 and 2008 against residents who were open-piping sewage from their homes, unable to afford proper treatment systems. One grandmother was jailed over a weekend for failing to buy a septic tank that cost more than her entire annual income.

“People are scared. They don’t like to speak out as they’re worried the health department will come round and cause trouble,” Thigpen said.

The challenge to places like Lowndes County is not to restore existing public infrastructure, as Trump has promised, because there is no public infrastructure here to begin with. Flowers estimates that 80% of the county is uncovered by any municipal sewerage system, and in its absence people are expected – and in some cases legally forced – to provide their own.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

dwarf74 posted:

I call BS on going from <50% all the way to 100% in Gujarat in 3 years.

edit: I did a quick calculation and they'd have to install something like 6.24 million toilets in 3 years.

Modi is from Gujarat, so I'm guessing it would be unacceptable for it to say anything but 100%

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh yeah I know the US is functionally a 3rd world country but I was :psyduck:ing more about extrapolating that to other western countries.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

Oh yeah I know the US is functionally a 3rd world country but I was :psyduck:ing more about extrapolating that to other western countries.

Is Germany a western country? France, Denmark? I’m not even going to bring Italy or Greece into this. Here’s a paper from the OECD:

https://www.oecd.org/els/family/HC2-2-Households-without-flushing-toilet.pdf

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is Germany a western country? France, Denmark? I’m not even going to bring Italy or Greece into this. Here’s a paper from the OECD:

That's percent of households below 50% of median income, which is only around 10% of the population, so still much fewer than in the US.

Either way the Indian map did not specify a flushing toilet, which I'm guessing is the most relevant point.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nah, only Netherlands, Iceland, Ireland, Norway and Sweden are western countries..

But in all seriousness, I stand corrected.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's a big difference between no toilets at all and pit toilets or communual toilets, I imagine in many rural areas they are simply trying to get people to install long drop toilets.

Everest's gridiron, a less than popular subject in Indian history:

Bigger

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The central Hindi Belt east of Delhi is probably all and all the shittiest part of India basically, just in general. Particularly Bihar.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

India's map is not for flushing toilet, it's for toilet at all, as in, outhouse. India previously had a famous problem with open-air defecation, as in, you would have people literally making GBS threads on the sides of the main street in the middle of a town. As in, within view of anyone driving by.

I imagine 100% of non-homeless Americans and Western Europeans have toilets.

E: Oops, I sat on the thread with the window open for way too long and see two people already mentioned this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saladman posted:

I imagine 100% of non-homeless Americans and Western Europeans have toilets.

For some years I lived somewhere that didn't have a water toilet or bathroom - or potable water. Looking back it was pretty weird. At least there was an ample supply of firewood so you could bathe in sauna every day if you wanted, and the outroom was well designed and built so most of the smell was blown out by the constant sea breeze.

I wouldn't do it again though. Morning ablutions requiring you to heat up a big kettle of water on the stove? Filling jugs at a public well every week? A bit too 1818 for me. Not that I actually know where I'd find a public well nowadays.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 1, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

For some years I lived somewhere that didn't have a water toilet or bathroom - or potable water. Looking back it was pretty weird. At least there was an ample supply of firewood so you could bathe in sauna every day if you wanted, and the outroom was well designed and built so most of the smell was blown out by the constant sea breeze.

I wouldn't do it again though. Morning ablutions requiring you to heat up a big kettle of water on the stove? Filling jugs at a public well every week? A bit too 1818 for me. Not that I actually know where I'd find a public well nowadays.

tell us about your time in the war, grandpa

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

tell us about your time in the war, grandpa

We lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
fuckin lol if people still think the US is special unique doublebad compared to Good Leftist White Countries like the DPR Canada

(all are fairly bad)