Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nyast posted:

It is fantastic. A feature available in standard in DirectX 9c, which was released in 2004. A 14 years old technology. Does that melt your brain ?

It wasn't available when Freelancer was made, so it's new to Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Virtual Captain posted:

Star Citizen: Perhaps CIG could eventually get around to making something

They're making a meal of it for certain

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Nyast posted:

It is fantastic. A feature available in standard in DirectX 9c, which was released in 2004. A 14 years old technology. Does that melt your brain ?

Oh please. That doesn’t count because it wasn’t part of the most fidelitous subsumptive refactored BDSSE that is greater than any project that has been or ever will be released until the heat death of the universe. QED.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ZekeNY posted:

Oh please, that doesn’t count because t wasn’t part of the most fidelitous subsumptive refactored BDSSE that is greater than any project that has been or ever will be released until the heat death of the universe. QED.

Your avatar is perfect for this post

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

It's that time again, thread bingo!

The middle square should probably say "Too Much Free Space", though

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

We may never know the intricacies of the business, but I also recall that one of the popular streamers couldn't go to any CIG events because they are in Canada, and apparently Canada has some interesting laws that force people like them to state what their exact relationship is with whatever they are promoting... so CIG of course couldn't have that happen.
I would assume this is wtfosaurus, as the girl on whose stream he got drunk, grabby and creepy is a Canadian streamer.

G0RF posted:

PC Powerplay: The Euphoria Factor

Streamers are flogging crypto Ponzi schemes, and it seems that Twitch is powerless to stop them...

By James Cottee
May 1 2018 11:24AM

So hilarious. We need AAA Publishers to save us from the likes of Chris Roberts and the CryptoScammers.

Absolutely :five::five::five:

:eyepop:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

PC Powerplay: The Euphoria Factor

Streamers are flogging crypto Ponzi schemes, and it seems that Twitch is powerless to stop them...

By James Cottee
May 1 2018 11:24AM

So hilarious. We need AAA Publishers to save us from the likes of Chris Roberts and the CryptoScammers.

Absolutely :five::five::five:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Star Citizen: Crypto Ponzi Streamers Twitch

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
James Cottee has been kicking Star Citizen in the pants for ages now and I hope he never stops. Good short article too, would like to see a more in-depth exploration of the subject.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

The Titanic posted:

CIG is at defcon 5

To ensure maximum thread fidelity, DEFCON 1 is ‘nuclear war imminent’ and DEFCON 5 is lowest state of readiness.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Script says these are all the changes to https://starcitizentracker.github.io since April 14th:

In alpha
Energy management (1)
"You'll probably be able to divert power between the different segments of the shield as well and even between the different weapons. "

Not implemented
NPCs gain experience (1)
"there will definitely be variations between NPCs will have some level of sort of skill for the NPCs and probably there will be some progression for the NPCs so if they fight a lot of battles and they manage to be on the winning end of them then they will actually get better"
NPCs use cover each other's movement (1)
"there is already coordination between the guys that fight. People that can advance while somebody else covers the advancement from a cover spot"
NPCs understand their environment (1)
"I think the main thing with the combat that I’m really trying to push is the fact that they understand the environment."
Person of interest tracking (1,2)
"When you're tracking someone like that, you'll find that you can mark them as a person of interest in your mobiglas/ship systems, which will mean you drop into their instance every time."
Fuel scooping (1)
"Fuel Intakes scoop natural gases from the environment and funnel them into the ship."
Player housing (1)
NPCs have their own lifestyles (1,2)
"it's not like they despawn as soon as you've turned the corner the day-to-day of a an AI on an Idris is essentially governed by this concept of the schedule so on a Monday all like all this means is that on a Monday someone might be a marine and going about their business as a Marine might do so he might go to the shooting range you might to the interest bridge in standard do all the sort of stuff then on a Tuesday he might be off duty so all that means is he'll go to the mess hall if he's hungry you know he'll go and lay down if he's tired he might go to the shooting range again if he's feeling like he wants to shoot some stuff"
Decompression (1,2,3,4)
"decompression affects not only the ships but it affects the environments as well"
Swimming (1)
"yes you will be able to swim eventually"
NPC security patrols (1)
"UEE space will be routinely patrolled by security forces"
Remote cameras (1)
Security monitoring devices (1)
Automated drones (1)
"Since players often won't be in proximity to their property, they'll frequently want to purchase various forms of remote monitoring and security apparatus - cameras and other equipment that can broadcast important information to them, members of their organisation, or UEE security, or automated drones that can automatically engage trespassers."

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 1, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Quick game of spot the provable bullshit:

"there is already coordination between the guys that fight. People that can advance while somebody else covers the advancement from a cover spot"
"I think the main thing with the combat that I’m really trying to push is the fact that they understand the environment."

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
NPCs might be able to gain experience, like how would that even work?

*looks over at Elite*

Oh, like that

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:siren: Spectrum is hotting up, have the mods there quit? :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJsap-vZgiE

:ohdear:

:psypop:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:laffo:

Star Citizer: yes, but did they Pinky Promise????

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Quavers posted:

:laffo:

Star Citizer: yes, but did they Pinky Promise????

If only croberts was a man of word, singular.

*drops script on stage*

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Jumping on this bandwagon,

"Stop the senseless peeling of sheep!"

Sheep need to be peeled, or suffer from fairly nasty skin ailments.

Now foreskins; there's a cause half of us can get behind.

TheAgent posted:

he's fine when he was actually concentrating on the issues about the game and not being a pedantic, defensive rear end

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 1, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Quavers posted:

I would applaud the guy for asking questions but the time for this was about 4 years ago.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 1, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

In my last column I predicted that a video game company would launch its own crypto, and it was supposed to be a joke. I predicted that Chris Roberts would start selling land in Star Citizen, and a few short weeks after I submitted my copy, it happened. As of this writing there are rumours circulating that Roberts & Co. will start selling shares in Star Citizen itself, offering investors a slice of hypothetical future profits in a manner not unlike Tim Schafer’s Fig. It sounds too stupid to be true, especially given their high stakes legal battle with Crytek. But by the time this column sees print, it may already be reality.

I don't think it's going to be that obvious, but as collateral for a loan? What's the UK law regarding using shares as loan security?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Chris Roberts is the Zack Snyder of vidya games. There I said it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

You've come a long way, baby!

Link: Jeffrey McArthur, and backers not on their best behavior.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Hav posted:

I don't think it's going to be that obvious, but as collateral for a loan? What's the UK law regarding using shares as loan security?

Never mind that . Whats the UK Law for using a stand alone game made in Cryengine called Sq42 to apply for UK tax credits AND not one but 2 huge loans . Particularly in light of the fact that they are now saying SQ42 is NOT standalone but part of Starcitizen in order to make Crytek go away . Something wicked this way comes and it isn't as frivolous as a Crytek lawsuit . You will see a full 'End of days Rapture' on Reddit over the next 18 months. And you can quote the poo poo out of that

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

ZenMaster posted:

Chris Roberts is the Zack Snyder of vidya games. There I said it.

I'm not sure the comparison to a director with a recognizable style and many completed films really works.

I think a better Hollywood comparison would be to say that Chris Roberts is the Chris Roberts of video games.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Guard Frequency podcast episode 211, featuring Bootcha's latest great vid :toot:

GuardFrequency posted:

In this week’s flight deck we bring you all the headlines from simulated space including the latest news from:
  • Overload’s release date
  • Elite Dangerous end Mac support and some upstart minor faction making waves in Andceeth
  • Star Citizen’s CitizenCon 2018, another dot dot patch, and somebody made a crowd-funding / oil-field analogy video that has Tony all in a dither.
Next, we’ll get the news from the deep black with Spencer McDunn on Galactic Public Radio.

Then Commander KineticImpulser gives you laser leads in Nuggets for Nuggets.

After that we continue our audio adventure, Guard Frequency Origins, as our pilots get down and dirty in the dirt, and finally, we open up the feedback loop and let you join in on the fun.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

G0RF posted:

“It’s alpha!”

“You guys just don’t understand game development!”

”Stop demanding more all the time. This Alpha already has more gameplay than most triple A games...”

Also, Star Citizen is good.

I clicked on this link without any sound on, just saw Chris waving his hands around a lot. Think I got what I was supposed to out of it,

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

EightAce posted:

Never mind that . Whats the UK Law for using a stand alone game made in Cryengine called Sq42 to apply for UK tax credits AND not one but 2 huge loans . Particularly in light of the fact that they are now saying SQ42 is NOT standalone but part of Starcitizen in order to make Crytek go away . Something wicked this way comes and it isn't as frivolous as a Crytek lawsuit . You will see a full 'End of days Rapture' on Reddit over the next 18 months. And you can quote the poo poo out of that

:eyepop::fap:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EightAce posted:

:ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

I have

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

EightAce posted:

:suspense:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

BFI? Cultural test?

I don't see that happening.

edit: if it's the angle that I think it is, EightAce is referring to the conditions applied to claiming UK tax credits for video game production, which has a number of tests applied. If that's what you're referring to, then they have a bigger problem in terms that it applies to a completed production rather than 'crowdfunded', but we've never received confirmation that they achieved certification from the BFI. The cultural test refers to a single company that produces the game (design, production AND release) spending 25% of it's cash in the UK.

"Whats the UK Law for using a stand alone game made in Cryengine called Sq42 to apply for UK tax credits AND not one but 2 huge loans"

Well, applying for credits would come under crown prosecution rules for misrepresentation, but the target of any investigation would be offered _every opportunity_ to make up the difference. It usually only goes to actual court when there's a specific problem in extracting the cash. I've had to explain to some very serious gentlemen of Her Majesties Customs and Excise that their tax money would be along shortly, but once you're square, they lose interest.

In terms of the private bank loans, it's entirely privileged information, but they'll usually resort to private civil means to get their money back rather than refer charges.

Waving aside for the moment that you have an 'in' and are 'connected', what are you seeing that would indicate there's movement on the three completely different issues of a possible tax liability or misrepresentation of the loans?

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 1, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

SC section starts at 20mins. Thanks.

EightAce posted:

:five::eyepop::five:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

Never mind that . Whats the UK Law for using a stand alone game made in Cryengine called Sq42 to apply for UK tax credits AND not one but 2 huge loans . Particularly in light of the fact that they are now saying SQ42 is NOT standalone but part of Starcitizen in order to make Crytek go away . Something wicked this way comes and it isn't as frivolous as a Crytek lawsuit .You will see a full 'End of days Rapture' on Reddit over the next 18 months. And you can quote the poo poo out of that

Man, I’m embarrassed to say I hadn’t really appreciated how nutty the UK tax credit looks in that very light. It’s like flipping off the incandescents and on a black light, and seeing for the first time the whole glorious project is covered in pee you’d not seen.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

Man, I’m embarrassed to say I hadn’t really appreciated how nutty the UK tax credit looks in that very light. It’s like flipping off the incandescents and on a black light, and seeing for the first time the whole glorious project is covered in pee you’d not seen.

Chris's primary trick has always been to turn to the guy on his left and tell one lie, turn to the guy on his right and tell a second lie which is incompatible with the first, then to act confused when those two people communicate and realize they've been had.

He's never quite understood that third parties can and do communicate about him with each other. It's exactly what sinks him every time.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJsap-vZgiE

:ohdear:

:psypop:

Star Citizer: No Promise Was Broken

Star Citizer: Absolves Any Issue

:colbert:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CellarDweller posted:

I'm not sure the comparison to a director with a recognizable style and many completed films really works.

I think a better Hollywood comparison would be to say that Chris Roberts is the Chris Roberts of video games.

Chris Roberts is Tommy Wiseau but with a toupee

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

This is legit hilarious on so many levels.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Virtual Captain posted:

Script says these are all the changes to https://starcitizentracker.github.io since April 14th:

In alpha
Energy management (1)
"You'll probably be able to divert power between the different segments of the shield as well and even between the different weapons. "

Not implemented
NPCs gain experience (1)
"there will definitely be variations between NPCs will have some level of sort of skill for the NPCs and probably there will be some progression for the NPCs so if they fight a lot of battles and they manage to be on the winning end of them then they will actually get better"
NPCs use cover each other's movement (1)
NPCs understand their environment (1)
Person of interest tracking (1,2)
"When you're tracking someone like that, you'll find that you can mark them as a person of interest in your mobiglas/ship systems, which will mean you drop into their instance every time."
Fuel scooping (1)
"Fuel Intakes scoop natural gases from the environment and funnel them into the ship."
Player housing (1)
NPCs have their own lifestyles (1,2)
"it's not like they despawn as soon as you've turned the corner the day-to-day of a an AI on an Idris is essentially governed by this concept of the schedule so on a Monday all like all this means is that on a Monday someone might be a marine and going about their business as a Marine might do so he might go to the shooting range you might to the interest bridge in standard do all the sort of stuff then on a Tuesday he might be off duty so all that means is he'll go to the mess hall if he's hungry you know he'll go and lay down if he's tired he might go to the shooting range again if he's feeling like he wants to shoot some stuff"
Decompression (1,2,3,4)
"decompression affects not only the ships but it affects the environments as well"
Swimming (1)
"yes you will be able to swim eventually"
NPC security patrols (1)
"UEE space will be routinely patrolled by security forces"
Remote cameras (1)
Security monitoring devices (1)
Automated drones (1)
"Since players often won't be in proximity to their property, they'll frequently want to purchase various forms of remote monitoring and security apparatus - cameras and other equipment that can broadcast important information to them, members of their organisation, or UEE security, or automated drones that can automatically engage trespassers."

Right there in 2014 is where the magic "whale fracking" discussion occurred. Promise them everything imaginable and the spice whale milk will flow!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pineapple on pizza?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzCy5-isjk&t=108s

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pash posted:

I clicked on this link without any sound on, just saw Chris waving his hands around a lot. Think I got what I was supposed to out of it,

I swear, if you cut CR's hands off he wouldn't be able to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
If they do end up offering :airquote:stock:airquote: to whales, could there be liability implications when the whole thing goes tits up? Like, could Chris just skip of into the sunset "oh CIG? Those guys over there own all the shares, they're the ones you want, Mr. Skadden." while keeping all the money?