Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Get a load of this maroon who doesn't know who HBomb is. :rolleyes:

A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SpacePig posted:

I'd also argue that anything with Martin Freeman in it has some merit.

You seem to be arguing that the Hobbit movies have merit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stephen Colbert got to play a spy so that's something

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

cant cook creole bream posted:

If people can read them at face value, their bad jokes.

How is "That woman is so loving ugly!" a joke? Just because it's an obvious lie?

This is a strange comment to make since it seems like an odd one to remember, but I seem to have a vague memory of someone saying that Lucy Liu isn't seen as as attractive to the same degree to a lot of Eastern/Asian/Chinese audiences in comparison to her perception by Western audiences.

I don't fully remember the context or the explanation, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lucy Liu has an incredibly distinctive face but it's very angular, which is more of a Western thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

cant cook creole bream posted:

If people can read them at face value, their bad jokes.

How is "That woman is so loving ugly!" a joke? Just because it's an obvious lie?

Watch the video where he says it. It's clearly a joke. He says that he's the prettier and more glamorous Watson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SiKboy posted:

Elementary is just Numbers with a better cast.

It's a pretty good network procedural but you could replace all the Sherlock Holmes names with something else and I don't think it would really change much. It's about as much a Sherlock Holmes adaptation as Law & Order: Criminal Intent was.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is a strange comment to make since it seems like an odd one to remember, but I seem to have a vague memory of someone saying that Lucy Liu isn't seen as as attractive to the same degree to a lot of Eastern/Asian/Chinese audiences in comparison to her perception by Western audiences.

I don't remember the context either, but it's simply to do with different cultural standards of beauty. I've heard similar things said about Sandra Oh and Grace Park and how they're not considered attractive in Korea.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch the video where he says it. It's clearly a joke. He says that he's the prettier and more glamorous Watson.

I got bored so I googled it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MBTlKhThWk

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

Iirc he has said some crazy racist poo poo, which is why a lot of people were questioning why he was cast in Black Panther.

tbf he's cast in Black Panther as a guy who spends 80% of the movie getting owned by black people and, even when given a moment of triumph, is somewhat infantilized compared to the other protagonists

i have a feeling this was a decision that was made fairly deliberately :v:

(in case anyone gets all weird, i'm not complaining about this, it owns)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

JediTalentAgent posted:

I remember this too, - someone getting really annoyed that people in the US thought Lucy Liu was beautiful and that if you asked real chinese people she'd only be a 6 at best, and lots more of that sort of thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

I always figured the joke wasn't so much "lol gays" as it was that these three effete do-nothing New York pantywaists are trying to LARP as manly men and failing. The zenith being when they are all totally alpha'd by Richard who is a - SO MANLY! - upper middle class eye doctor.

There's an episode where everyone (including Rachel) agrees that male nannies are unnatural and creepy and the punchline is that he's so sensitive that he sometimes cries.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Iirc he has said some crazy racist poo poo, which is why a lot of people were questioning why he was cast in Black Panther.

The weirdest bit about Black Panther for me was the heroic CIA agent regardless of who played him tbh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think hrm that actually the CIA's record in black nations that have something they want is actually uh really good

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sweevo posted:

I enjoyed all of S1 and S2. Some episodes were better than others, but they were all perfectly watchable.

S3 was such a pile of dogshit that I still haven't watched S4.

The middle episode of S4 is really good. First one is James Bond crap + a pointless character death at the end. Last one (ever, hopefully) is fun on a certain level with all the crap they threw into it to be a big finale, but certainly not what I'd call good.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Koalas March posted:

I googled this, too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-563570/Martin-Freeman-life-shouldnt-just-day-office.html

quote:

Politely, I comment on his lovely house and the tranquillity that surrounds it.

"When I moved up here this woman I know said, 'Ooh! There are a lot of whiteys up there', and I said, 'I love white people; I've no problem with them at all." The idea was that I was going to complain because there weren't enough blues dances out here; not enough ragga around. But I'm not bothered by it.

"Multiculturalism hasn't and doesn't help, because rightly or wrongly it polarises people so much," he continues. "Racism is one thing – and I don't agree with that in any form – but noticing that there are differences is normal and fine and to be encouraged. "We've reached a state now where it's, 'You shouldn't notice. Why are you noticing he's got a bomb and has a beard and is Muslim and wants to kill your family?" "There is no country in the world like this. If all of a sudden all the traffic wardens in Ghana were Welsh, they'd really notice and might not love it… We give ourselves a hard time in this country in a sort of mea culpa way. But if we were that racist, people wouldn't come. Very simple."

Personally, I wouldn't want Freeman hanged for these remarks. Before he moved north he lived in Crouch End, and before that Bethnal Green.

Of the move he says: "I got out just after the BNP were elected in 1993. That was a disgrace."

He hasn't always been a mod purist. "I did have a hip-hop period," he admits. "I dressed a bit like that in 1990, but after a while I thought, 'Nah, back to the white Levi's.'

"I really liked hip-hop until the gangsta rap took over. I come from a time when not every rap record was 'nigga' this and 'nigga' that; an earlier socially and morally conscious hip-hop sensibility, when it was, 'Don't call people nigga'." "But now it's nigga, nigga, nigga, and it's not funny or interesting politically, artistically or socially. I really don't like it."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:yikes:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ironically the quotes I was thinking of we're actually about colonialism (although I could be mistaken.) Not... Whatever that was.

EmmyOk posted:

The weirdest bit about Black Panther for me was the heroic CIA agent regardless of who played him tbh

I'm just happy we got such an unapologetically black superhero movie. Perfect is the enemy of good and all that.

Holy moly tho

Can we still enjoy Martin Freeman? posted:

Unfortunately, the actor has a long history of saying less than savory things about certain subjects. Not jokes, but serious and earnest comments that don't paint him in the best light. He facetiously called actress Lucy Liu a dog and a very unattractive woman, he is staunchly anti-multiculturalism, and he has some very inflammatory things to say about Muslims: "We've reached a state now where it's, 'You shouldn't notice. Why are you noticing he's got a bomb and has a beard and is Muslim and wants to kill your family?'"

http://www.hollywood.com/movies/do-we-still-love-martin-freeman-60226570/

Koalas March has a new favorite as of 14:13 on May 1, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EmmyOk posted:

Well, they kind of wrote themselves into a corner when they destroyed Shield in the movies.

They've always been "CIA but the good guys" in the Marvel universe.

I mean seriously, the whole character screamed Shield agent. They literally rebadged him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
His character was CIA in the comics and judging from his comments a little bit up thread, Freeman fit him pretty well.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I didn't know any of that stuff about Martin Freeman and now I'm upset. Can't anything nice happen in 2018?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In Fargo he sends the only non-Native American ethnic person in North Dakota to her death.

He’s got issues with race.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I didn't know any of that stuff about Martin Freeman and now I'm upset. Can't anything nice happen in 2018?

I must admit that I was somewhat disappointed, too.

I went looking for the quotes because I assumed that they would be the usual misreporting where someone says that an issue is complicated and expresses a moderate view and it gets spun into something for the headlines.

I suppose it's another case of confusing the characters he plays with the person he is.
Like when I thought I'd have a nice evening drink with Bill Cosby and that didn't turn out well, either.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

oldpainless posted:

Martin freeman drugs and rapes women

IDK whether this is true. But he goes to the same gym as my friend and is apparently really rude and snappy and scowled at her once when she smiled at him. So, I guess he's probably a murderer too?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should never have trusted a man that loos like a Rankin and Bass cartoon character brought to life.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

There is definitely something off about him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Krispy Wafer posted:

In Fargo he sends the only non-Native American ethnic person in North Dakota to her death.

He’s got issues with race.

That really seems like a critique for the writers more than anything.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

fruit on the bottom posted:

That really seems like a critique for the writers more than anything.

Freeman insisted the writers put that in the script or he wouldn't take the part.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well, they kind of wrote themselves into a corner when they destroyed Shield in the movies.

They've always been "CIA but the good guys" in the Marvel universe.

I mean seriously, the whole character screamed Shield agent. They literally rebadged him.

Shoot, I thought he was a SHIELD agent in Captain America: Civil War, which made him identifying as CIA in Black Panther kinda confusing to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SEX BURRITO posted:

IDK whether this is true. But he goes to the same gym as my friend and is apparently really rude and snappy and scowled at her once when she smiled at him. So, I guess he's probably a murderer too?

she should start going "OH HEY HOLY poo poo IT'S BILBO BAGGINS, EVERYONE LOOK IT'S BILBO BAGGINS!" really really loudly whenever she sees him now

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And do it in Dick Van Dyke cockney accent

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Martin Freeman is Bilbo Baggins, if Bilbo Baggins were real. A fussy put upon Englishman who likes to pretend he is enlightened, but who actually likes to treat foreigners as if they are sub-human. But only the 'Bad' foreigners.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

This Martin Freeman business disappoints me, but it's also somewhat not surprising. Aren't most British actors surprisingly upper-class compared to American counterparts?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mojo1701a posted:

This Martin Freeman business disappoints me, but it's also somewhat not surprising. Aren't most British actors surprisingly upper-class compared to American counterparts?

i wouldn't say "most" British actors, like, your John Boyegas and Jason Stathams aren't really rich people (or at least weren't until they got big), but the ISO-standard stiff-upper-lip Stodgy British Man is usually going to be upper class

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah Benedryl Cauliflower is upper-class snob and said some really classist things iirc but idk if he said anything racist or that was part of his classism or what.

Remember: the UK has basically perfected classism. They still have a loving monarchy ffs. Remember this is the same country that went nuts because their Prince (who is 4 times removed from succession) is marrying a divorced biracial actress from the US.

Koalas March has a new favorite as of 18:27 on May 1, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm a minority and I somewhat I agree with him about multiculturalism. From what I understand, the UK's version of multiculturalism is a whole different thing where they have like separate schools, standards, and neighborhoods meant for certain ethnicities. It's not like the US where it just means identity politics. A few years back David Cameron (the literal pig fucker) and Richard Dawkins said multiculturalism has failed so it's not some fringe opinion by Martin Freeman.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It took me like halfway through this discussion to realize that Martin freeman is not Morgan freeman.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm a minority and I somewhat I agree with him about multiculturalism. From what I understand, the UK's version of multiculturalism is a whole different thing where they have like separate schools, standards, and neighborhoods meant for certain ethnicities. It's not like the US where it just means identity politics. A few years back David Cameron (the literal pig fucker) and Richard Dawkins said multiculturalism has failed so it's not some fringe opinion by Martin Freeman.

It does feel like a lot of the time when people online get mad at something someone said that an American perspective is foisted on them and that’s always kind of rubbed me wrong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Most big cities in the US have ethnic enclaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dick Dorkings and Dave "Pigfucker" Cameron are both upper class scum and racists (a tautology).