Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Eletriarnation posted:

Torrenting is fine on a Pi if you are OK with being limited to Fast Ethernet speeds not just while downloading but also while transferring off files. I got tired of waiting and eventually migrated to a PC so I could get SATA and gigabit Ethernet.

It would probably also work great if you already have a NAS with gigabit and just have the Pi automatically clone over finished downloads before you need them.

I've got it going with Plex and it streams well enough for what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

You can run the FreeBSD build of Deluge on your FreeNAS system.

I've tried a few guides getting it setup and nothing seems to really work for me on FreeNAS 11.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

I've tried a few guides getting it setup and nothing seems to really work for me on FreeNAS 11.

So, for what it is worth, I run rtorrent/rutorrent on my FreeNAS 11.1 box beautifully. im hovering currently at 150 torrents running 24/7 on top of my sonarr, plex and nzbget. very stable, a little tricky to setup some stuff because rtorrent doesn't natively have queuing, you have to do some other stuff i never bothered with. I just know to add one torrent at a time into my watch directories until it is finished if i want it quickly or add them all at once if it is not important and they all download at once.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

derk posted:

So, for what it is worth, I run rtorrent/rutorrent on my FreeNAS 11.1 box beautifully. im hovering currently at 150 torrents running 24/7 on top of my sonarr, plex and nzbget. very stable, a little tricky to setup some stuff because rtorrent doesn't natively have queuing, you have to do some other stuff i never bothered with. I just know to add one torrent at a time into my watch directories until it is finished if i want it quickly or add them all at once if it is not important and they all download at once.

Can you send me a guide because I am running into the issue where the jail warden environment is maybe not been updated from 11.0 to 11.1 and I'm getting errors installing things using this guide: https://danthesalmon.com/blog/create-seedbox-jail-freenas/

e: I thiiiiink i got it figured out.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 25, 2018

derk
Sep 24, 2004
that is the same guide i used. I just upgraded from 9.3 to 11.1.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah I had to add a comment saying it was cool to do unsupported software

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What's a good small screen (7 to 10 inches) for a Pi? I'm making an all in one fightstick out of MDF right now and I think I'm going to do a mini bartop next. I'd probably vertically orient the screen for use primarily with 80s arcade games.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 25, 2018

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

What's a good small screen (7 to 10 inches) for a Pi? I'm making an all in one fightstick out of MDF right now and I think I'm going to do a mini bartop next. I'd probably vertically orient the screen for use primarily with 80s arcade games.

I love the "official" 7" touchscreen (800x600 native res). I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there though.

In other news, The PowerBlock power switch works like a charm on the dash setup I'm doing. I have always-on/fused 12v going to a DC/DC 5V converter, then directly to the Powerblock on the pi. Then a key'd switch for the power jumper. When it is switched on, the LED I wired up tells me what it is doing and when I flip the switch off, it powers down without any issue. Pppperrrfect.

Please don't mind my lovely testing wiring job. :)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

P-P-P-Powerblock!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just a quick question. What is the max resolution for a screen on the Pi’s internal display connector? I can’t seem to find anything in the specs. Just that it can drive a display connected to it. Some posts imply it only works with the official boards.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Varkk posted:

Just a quick question. What is the max resolution for a screen on the Pi’s internal display connector? I can’t seem to find anything in the specs. Just that it can drive a display connected to it. Some posts imply it only works with the official boards.

I believe it is 1080p. The "GPU" (multimedia processor) is VideoCore4 - Which are are on several ARM devices; I think they all support an output of 1920x1080 60Hz. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VideoCore)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Any general recommendations for a compact keyboard that plays nice with Pi's? I'm using an old leather laptop case as a kind of supernerd go-bag that has the Pi, power cord, mouse, HDMI cable, PS controller etc all together, but a full size keyboard just won't fit. I think if I just got one without a Numpad it would be fine.

edit: I see a few thin Bluetooth compacts on Amazon with good reviews, but I'm really looking for just a mechanical USB keyboard to maximize durability and reliability.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 30, 2018

ickna
May 19, 2004

I can’t speak to a compact standard keyboard but the RIi touchpad / keyboard combo that looks like a game controller has worked well for many Pi’s and HTPCs for me.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

ickna posted:

I can’t speak to a compact standard keyboard but the RIi touchpad / keyboard combo that looks like a game controller has worked well for many Pi’s and HTPCs for me.

Seconded. I've had a Rii mini X1 for a few years and it works great. Battery lasts forever. The only downside is that the wireless signal is severely affected if there's a USB3 device plugged into a USB3 port nearby, but on a Pi that's not going to be a factor. This thing stays in my bag permanently and it's been extremely useful very often.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I snagged a $9 wired one from Amazon. It's cheap and floppy but works perfectly.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Takes No Damage posted:

Any general recommendations for a compact keyboard that plays nice with Pi's? I'm using an old leather laptop case as a kind of supernerd go-bag that has the Pi, power cord, mouse, HDMI cable, PS controller etc all together, but a full size keyboard just won't fit. I think if I just got one without a Numpad it would be fine.

edit: I see a few thin Bluetooth compacts on Amazon with good reviews, but I'm really looking for just a mechanical USB keyboard to maximize durability and reliability.

Any USB keyboard should be fine.

If you really want a small mechanical keyboard you could get something like the Vortex Core, with 47 keys and not even a number row (you have to use fn-key combos).

But, if you're not a keyboard nerd, you'd probably be better off with a cheap wireless compact like the Logitech K400 Plus at a third of the price. Wireless is really handy for a couch computer, and even cheap rubber dome keyboards are pretty durable.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Space Gopher posted:

Any USB keyboard should be fine.

If you really want a small mechanical keyboard you could get something like the Vortex Core, with 47 keys and not even a number row (you have to use fn-key combos).

But, if you're not a keyboard nerd, you'd probably be better off with a cheap wireless compact like the Logitech K400 Plus at a third of the price. Wireless is really handy for a couch computer, and even cheap rubber dome keyboards are pretty durable.

I'll second the recommendation for the K400 Plus. They've become my go-to option when I need to set up a new system or want something I can use on the couch. There's also the K480 which doesn't have a touchpad but is bluetooth and has a wheel that lets you switch between three devices. I carry mine in my backpack to use with my tablet and/or phone and it's proven surprisingly durable.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll also advise the K400 plus. I use one with a small PC connected to my livingroom TV (for random ACE/web streams/emulation) and it works great, and is dirt cheap.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like this old laptop bag is exactly 15" wide, and Amazon claims the K400+ is just under 14" so I think that would work. Never thought about having a 'mouse' built in to the keyboard itself, that's a cool idea. It sounds like it uses a USB dongle to create a little KBM-specific wifi signal that the keyboard connects to, like a little local network? How big is the USB plug? I've run into issues with my Pi where I need to plan out what goes where because all the SD->USB converters I have are wide so I can't use the USB plug next to them.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Takes No Damage posted:

Looks like this old laptop bag is exactly 15" wide, and Amazon claims the K400+ is just under 14" so I think that would work. Never thought about having a 'mouse' built in to the keyboard itself, that's a cool idea. It sounds like it uses a USB dongle to create a little KBM-specific wifi signal that the keyboard connects to, like a little local network? How big is the USB plug? I've run into issues with my Pi where I need to plan out what goes where because all the SD->USB converters I have are wide so I can't use the USB plug next to them.

I've got one of those, myself. It comes with the Logitech Unifying Receiver, which is barely larger than the USB port.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/unifying-receiver-usb

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Takes No Damage posted:

It's a logitech unifying receiver that works with a lot of their products (nice if you have a lot of these in an environment and users keep losing them because they're replaceable or if you have more than one logitech wireless device to connect at once). It's a custom 2.4ghz transciever for logitech stuff. I'm using a K400 Plus for my HTPC and it's really good although I'd probably get something beefier if I typed on it a lot because I'm a mechanical keyboard nerd. I've used a few different tiny bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo units as well and they're usually awful because of small internal batteries or poorly registering key presses.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Impressive. For 25bux I'll roll the dice. Either way it should save me one port by doing KB and M in a single slot. I should put together a shopping list of all the preferred peripherals so whenever I needs to stand up a new system I can just click a button and it will throw power, SD card, KBM, case, SD->USB and whatever else into Amazon cart and just mails you a complete "PC" for like $100.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just thought I would share my current project here. I am trying to build an all sky camera using a Raspberry Pi and camera module. Currently have a cheap wide angle camera off AliExpress. That will sit in a small acrylic dome. Under the dome will be a Pi Zero W( hasn’t arrived yet, drat couriers) All battery powered. The idea is I can set up up outside and let it just take constant images of the sky until the battery goes flat. Currently t sting the code setup on a Pi 2 on my desk. Still need to finalise the case/mount for the Pi and battery. I will try to post some images and more details later.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That's a neat project. Kind of makes me want to make one.

What kind of delay between images are you going to use?

I wonder if you could get or make something that powers the whole thing off for X minutes and have it take the image on boot and then shut down. Maybe the power savings (if any) wouldn't be worth it...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

That's a neat project. Kind of makes me want to make one.

What kind of delay between images are you going to use?

I wonder if you could get or make something that powers the whole thing off for X minutes and have it take the image on boot and then shut down. Maybe the power savings (if any) wouldn't be worth it...

Since its outside, why not a small solar cell to recharge the battery?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ran a pi 3 off a 7800 mAh battery for like 3 hours and it used maybe 10% of the battery. It was just running a python script that sent commands over usb and fired off a signal on a gpio pin every few seconds so it wasn't doing that much, but it gives a sense of scale for how efficient the pi is. Get a 20,000 mAh power source and I would bet you could run the pi and camera for 24 hours before it dies.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

deong posted:

Since its outside, why not a small solar cell to recharge the battery?

It will be in operation overnight. Used then batteries replaced/recharged for the next one. If I was going to set one up long term in a remote location I would look in to doing that.
But charging and protection circuits are a new level of complication.
Currently it is set to expose for six seconds(longest the camera connector/module supports) then waits 10 seconds and repeat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quick google says a zero + camera recording 1080p draws 240mA. You don't need a beefy battery at all to keep it running overnight (assuming it doesn't get too cold, but even then a large battery will have issues).

It always amazes me how power efficient this thing is.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's a cell phone SoC, there must be a way to sleep it between photos

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mewse posted:

It's a cell phone SoC, there must be a way to sleep it between photos
I was going to say that I don't think the Pi has a way to wake automatically after a given amount of time, but after looking in to things it seems like it doesn't even have an actual sleep mode to begin with.

There's an accessory called Sleepy Pi which basically straps an Arduino with a RTC on top to act as a power controller, but it's pretty expensive and sized for a full-size Pi. If you're so inclined it'd be pretty easy to DIY something similar but simplified for your purposes.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
This was earlier in the thread: https://www.tindie.com/products/xorbit/lifepo4weredpi3/

In addition to quite a few awesome features, the wake-timer might be most relevant depending on how long you want to sleep it for.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Link to the wide angle camera please. In assuming this is some crazy 170°+ fisheye lens

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Maybe not the right thread, but probably enough crossover knowledge

I’m planning out some sort of project, and I’m thinking I want to just get a bunch of smallish screens, probably around the 7” size, like at least a half dozen of them

My current plan is to buy a bunch of used portable DVD players off eBay and hope for the best, but I’m open to other suggestions

There’s some sort of irony in the availability of 21” monitors used on Craigslist for $20 but having to drop the same or more to get a tiny little guy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Suggestions for what? Buy a bunch of small screens and then?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Oh, sorry for not being clear: just looking for suggestions on sourcing cheap smallish screens

Like ideally I’d like to be laying <$20/screen

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sockser posted:

Oh, sorry for not being clear: just looking for suggestions on sourcing cheap smallish screens

Like ideally I’d like to be laying <$20/screen

My best idea is scouring aliexpress for "pi screen" but it looks like you are looking at around $30 for 5" displays.

The problem with buying used portable dvd players would be interfacing them which could blow your budget.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Is there any sort of mailing list/notification list when security or critical updates are available for Raspbian?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Just make a script that attempts to auto update them based on completely arbitrary conditions, like every third time you boot, or every sunday, but only between the hours of 12 am and 3.45 pm.

In other news, i got a 3.5 inch touchscreen and case for my 3b today, costing 20 bucks aud. lovely res, but i learned that by default rpi screens connected via the gpio pins all display upside down relative to the base of the case. Que at least 2 hours randomly confused as to why i can't get config.txt edits to stick until i learned that LCD-show swaps out a dozen different premade configs based on usecase, something that is extremely obvious had i taken a single easy glance through the scripts.

Tomorrow arrives a camera, microphone and speaker to attach to said pi. I'm going to try to get UV4L to work and be hosted on the pi, so i can join the room and see (and be seen by) what the pi sees at any time.

Then, once all the things are done, i need to write a python script that increments at 1s p s, and run the attached battery out several times. Averaging the numbers resulting gives me the most likely amount of time the pi will last, and then just need to change the toolbar clock to a count down from that number each time it boots, assuming that the battery has been recharged each time.

Some of these things are easy, and some of tuese things seem hard. Hopefully hard things will be fun to learn though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

mewse posted:

My best idea is scouring aliexpress for "pi screen" but it looks like you are looking at around $30 for 5" displays.

The problem with buying used portable dvd players would be interfacing them which could blow your budget.

Most of the ones I’ve seen IRL have a composite in, which will get me most of the way there I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good way to start up a pi playing video in a playlist randomly.
I've set up a pi in my van, and I'd like to have a folder full of videos that it just starts at random so that a remote isn't needed.