Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Hello from the Bad With Money thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8fjljc/another_idiot_with_too_much_debt/

I need help, Reddit. I’m an enlisted member of the Air Force, and I managed to amass 25,000 dollars worth of credit card debt across 4 credit cards in 2 years. I married way out of my league, and made the mistake of trying to maintain my wife’s previous standard of living (furniture, honeymoon, eating out), on 60,000 a year (wife doesn’t work). My last ditch effort to pull myself out was to move into lower income housing, where my rent was only 735 a month, but my wife’s parents intervened and told me we had to move out, because they feared for their daughter’s safety. It honestly wasn’t bad, but they are used to that gated community, 6 figure life. The one light at the end of the tunnel iis that my father in law has offered me a job starting at 100k once I separate from the military. Other than scraping by for the next 3 years, I don’t know what to do, guys. Here’s where I stand right now:

Current monthly budget:

Housing $1,650 (8 months left on lease)

Car 1 $250 (value is 7k, I owe 8k)

Car 2 $350 (value is 17k, I owe 19k)

Utilities $250

Groceries $400

Credit card 1 $250 (I owe 12k @ 15%)

Credit card 2 $200 (I owe 8k @ 17%)

Credit card 3 $100 (I owe 5k @ 6%)

Credit card 4 $100 (I owe 1500 @ 18%)

Wife’s spending money $200 Gym $150 (9 months on contract)

Savings $100

Insurance $200

Internet $170

Gas $150

Cell Phones $210

Total expenses $4,730 Total income. $5100

I know I’ve made a drat fool of myself, so be gentle. I managed to take my credit from 730 -> 590 in 2 years. Please tell me there’s still hope.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I would like to see the woman he decided was way out of his league that is going to ruin him in the divorce more than he's already hosed himself.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gonna need pics of your bad decision homie.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Also I recommend you watch American Gangster, get deployed to Afghanistan, and see if you can replicate that setup my dude. J/k but seriously good luck brother.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Nuclear option for that guy is to get his own chain of command involved. That would be funny to hear about.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
That dude should probably spend less on candles.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Why are your wife's parents dictating your choice of living conditions?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Hello from the Bad With Money thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8fjljc/another_idiot_with_too_much_debt/

I need help, Reddit. I’m an enlisted member of the Air Force, and I managed to amass 25,000 dollars worth of credit card debt across 4 credit cards in 2 years. I married way out of my league, and made the mistake of trying to maintain my wife’s previous standard of living (furniture, honeymoon, eating out), on 60,000 a year (wife doesn’t work). My last ditch effort to pull myself out was to move into lower income housing, where my rent was only 735 a month, but my wife’s parents intervened and told me we had to move out, because they feared for their daughter’s safety. It honestly wasn’t bad, but they are used to that gated community, 6 figure life. The one light at the end of the tunnel iis that my father in law has offered me a job starting at 100k once I separate from the military. Other than scraping by for the next 3 years, I don’t know what to do, guys. Here’s where I stand right now:

Current monthly budget:

Housing $1,650 (8 months left on lease)

Car 1 $250 (value is 7k, I owe 8k)

Car 2 $350 (value is 17k, I owe 19k)

Utilities $250

Groceries $400

Credit card 1 $250 (I owe 12k @ 15%)

Credit card 2 $200 (I owe 8k @ 17%)

Credit card 3 $100 (I owe 5k @ 6%)

Credit card 4 $100 (I owe 1500 @ 18%)

Wife’s spending money $200 Gym $150 (9 months on contract)

Savings $100

Insurance $200

Internet $170

Gas $150

Cell Phones $210

Total expenses $4,730 Total income. $5100

I know I’ve made a drat fool of myself, so be gentle. I managed to take my credit from 730 -> 590 in 2 years. Please tell me there’s still hope.

Wife doesn't work? Sell a car. Cell phones is $210? wtf plan is that, you got 50 phones? Internet looks like lots of cable channels plus internet -- call comcast or whoever and cut that package down and get back on a new customer deal by threatening to quit, or moving it to wife's name.

Why are you paying cards 3/4 off at same amount per month? The rate on card 4 is much higher, pay that off first. Maybe talk to someone about the math, it depends on terms of all the cards.

Ask your wife to get a part-time job, for now, if she wants 2 cars.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol savings?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Y'all realize MisterOblivious isn't actually the one who wrote that, right?

Also god drat, I just noticed the sentence about tanking his credit from 730 to 590 in 2 years. lol

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Y'all realize MisterOblivious isn't actually the one who wrote that, right?

gently caress you expect me to do, be smart and poo poo?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Enlisted gonna enlisted.

(need a "make it rain" emote paired with a "dumpster fire" one)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

:chiefsay:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

On our walk back from lunch today my GS boss told me some stories from her days as a O5 JAG. A few of the winners was "I must of popped hot for drugs after swallowing my boyfriends load" and "I slipped and fell mouth first on his dick".

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Buy them an account

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lord1234 posted:

Buy them an account

I had to explain what doing the "helicopter" in regards to a sexual assault Captain's Mast was to her so I dont think she would appreciate this site.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

:stare: McAnus you weird motherfucker

McAnus was a b’fast sandwich idea I tried to submit to McDonalds years back. It was to be a donut(glazed) bun with a deep fried cow anus and mayo and an onion ring.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

LingcodKilla posted:

I had to explain what doing the "helicopter" in regards to a sexual assault Captain's Mast was to her so I dont think she would appreciate this site.

It could be a huge relief for them to see that there is just as much weaponized stupid elsewhere. And think of the stoeies man, I've only seen line unit poo poo, she's had to deal with "that guy" from every unit.

You know the one. That guy who was skateboard diving off the 3rd story into the pile of dirt left by the construction crews building the new barracks.

That guy so hated by his entire unit everyone just watched as he got his rear end beat in a parking lot because, and I quote, "Why didn't you help him?" - PMO. "He (guy giving beat down) didn't need any help beating (shitbags) rear end" - 3rd Award LCPL.

Imagine a career full of those Monday morning briefs. To look at the event horizon of such a black hole of stupid and be able to pull away...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah. That’s why most of us got out

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
at least one aussie managed to get caught up in the fat leonard thing lol http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/us-navy-corruption-scandal-spreads-to-royal-australian-navy/9663558

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I stopped by the battalion S-1 shop in the US, and one clerk had one of those instructional medical posters above his desk, the kind the Navy makes for the results of degloving or wearing eyepro or whatever, with a chest x-ray showing the skeleton. I thought that was kind of weird for an admin guy, so I ask him and he says "oh, that's me, sir."

Turns out in OIF2 he was on a patrol, hit an ambush and while the driver was racing to get off the X he turned a corner too tight and rolled a hardtop Humvee. Buddy was riding shotgun and was partially ejected on the high-side, and when it did a full roll the he was sticking half out the window and spent a half-second as the fulcrum. When the medics came running over they were sure he'd be dead on the spot, but he was still breathing and they managed to medevac him.

Best the doctors could tell, for that half-second the whole truck rolled over him, his SAPI plates turtle-shelled together and spread the force of the impact, so he broke every bone at that point in his ribcage and bruised a bunch of organs, but wasn't killed. And they ended up writing some journal article about SAPI wear in crushing incidents, and made a whole poster of his case-study.

He was just happy to be alive, though bummed he couldn't do a lot of routine things, and especially that he couldn't lift up his little kids anymore. But he was getting med-boarded out with some fat compensation, and some Marine-owned company had heard about this and already had a job waiting for him when he got out.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm... I'm not sure that's an idiot story

holy loving mother of god I've been to some serious mva accidents and holy gently caress how is that guy not dead

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The compression strength of ceramics is crazy, but holy poo poo when you get some context like that it’s really something else.

Whenever I hear about those posters, I think of one particular one about why you shouldn’t use a .50 BMG round as a hammer. You know the one. Where the guy’s hand looks like a plate of spaghetti with marinara sauce?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think of that one and I think of making sure the LAW training your doing is with the training LAW and not a live LAW inside a small building.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm... I'm not sure that's an idiot story

Well, he probably wasn’t wearing a seatbelt :eyepop:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 6, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Those loving pictures. I can still see the one of the guy who was biting Det cord

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I think of that one and I think of making sure the LAW training your doing is with the training LAW and not a live LAW inside a small building.

I didn't see that one but can imagine what just the backblast did

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Goodpancakes posted:

Those loving pictures. I can still see the one of the guy who was biting Det cord

I'll bite :v:. What happens if you chew det cord?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
You're gonna make someone post that picture.....

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vengarr posted:

I'll bite :v:. What happens if you chew det cord?

I thought it was a blasting cap. And nothing good.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought it was a blasting cap. And nothing good.

You’re right, I couldn’t find anything for det cord but it was the first result for “biting blasting cap.” How the gently caress did he survive that?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ahh my bad. I don't remember the specifics of what he was doing. Biting something he shouldn't have been

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:gibs:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Ask and ye shall receive (NWS duh)
https://i.imgur.com/okloT87.png :nws:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 6, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So, when a round goes off outside the chamber like that, does the bullet have any dangerous force? Like, I'm imagining this dumbass not just ripping his hand to shreds but also shooting himself in the eye or something, but I feel like it's more likely to just smack him in the face since all the energy isn't directed down the barrel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So, when a round goes off outside the chamber like that, does the bullet have any dangerous force? Like, I'm imagining this dumbass not just ripping his hand to shreds but also shooting himself in the eye or something, but I feel like it's more likely to just smack him in the face since all the energy isn't directed down the barrel.

it might have been mythbusters, but i remember seeing a thing where someone put rounds in an oven and they had very little kinetic energy after the bang, bullets really need the barrel to 'fire'

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Not really because the gasses expand in all directions in a 360 degree sphere, instead of being channeled into you know a one degree straight line by a barrel. But then again there's a lot of powder behind a .50BMG. Anyway in regards to his hand exploding I am guessing he had his fist clenched around the mouth of the casing at the joint of the case and bullet, with the primer end sticking out the bottom of his fist. So when he struck and the gas expanded in "all directions" all directions was his hand.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Don't inline gore under spoilers you dumb fucks, link it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Don't inline gore under spoilers you dumb fucks, link it.

They couldn't spoiler tags gore in Iraq god damnit. Fascist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)