Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's not like I actually helped him, I just told him the tenants council in our city is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 13, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
WJ - you still work at the PTO, right?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Here is a law firm question, I dunno if anyone can actually answer it or feels like. One of our older partners is going to be retiring at the end of the year - and real retiring, not that thing lawyers do where they 'retire' and then end up back at the office every weekday but not weekends for a change. He won't be coming in, fielding work, etc.; but it seems like we're keeping his name in the firm at least for the moment, which was also the case for a previous partner that retired in stages and seems to have finally stopped showing up.

In that situation, do they retain and equity position in the firm, at some sort of modified or reduced rate? Can you be some sort of paper partner without equity? Or is that just entirely up to what the retiring and remaining partners feel like doing with the structure and there's really no way to know short of asking them? I'm just a paralegal so I can't really ask.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ashcans posted:

Here is a law firm question, I dunno if anyone can actually answer it or feels like. One of our older partners is going to be retiring at the end of the year - and real retiring, not that thing lawyers do where they 'retire' and then end up back at the office every weekday but not weekends for a change. He won't be coming in, fielding work, etc.; but it seems like we're keeping his name in the firm at least for the moment, which was also the case for a previous partner that retired in stages and seems to have finally stopped showing up.

In that situation, do they retain and equity position in the firm, at some sort of modified or reduced rate? Can you be some sort of paper partner without equity? Or is that just entirely up to what the retiring and remaining partners feel like doing with the structure and there's really no way to know short of asking them? I'm just a paralegal so I can't really ask.

it's pretty much whatever they work out between themselves, though iirc most states prohibit fee-sharing with someone who is not a lawyer so if he drops his licence that may tell you he's no longer drawing income from the firm

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It’s all up to the partners and what they agree to, I think.

The only limitation would be the ethics of advertising his affiliation with the firm if he’s not affiliated. But state bars almost never crack down on that sort of thing and they are probably okay because since he is retired and used to work there, so the firm name wouldn’t be misleading which is the real question.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Are they keeping the name of the retired partner in the name of the firm or are they keeping his name as the name of a guy listed as a partner on the firm's website?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The partner who is retiring at the end of the year is still on our website at the moment. The previous partner who 'retired' but kept showing up for a while afterward was taken off the profiles on the website, and is only mentioned in the 'firm history' section as they were one of the founders; it also says when they retired in the history.

I am guessing the latest retiree will be removed when he actually leaves, they're generally pretty good about that. So the names will just be showing up in the firm name and not as people actually here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ashcans posted:

The partner who is retiring at the end of the year is still on our website at the moment. The previous partner who 'retired' but kept showing up for a while afterward was taken off the profiles on the website, and is only mentioned in the 'firm history' section as they were one of the founders; it also says when they retired in the history.

I am guessing the latest retiree will be removed when he actually leaves, they're generally pretty good about that. So the names will just be showing up in the firm name and not as people actually here.

I think that partners who want to retire but still rake in money on referring people to the firm usually take a title like Senior Counsel or the like, so if they're not even on the website at all my guess would be they sold their equity share to the rest of the firm and cut the cord entirely.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Many firms force partners into counsel status, where they are paid a salary typically but are no longer equity partners. Of course if the partner’s dick swings big enough and he doesn’t want to give up equity, then financial considerations often allow for some compromise.

Otherwise yeah, it’s pretty much whatever they want to work out financially.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There are also disciplinary rules dealing with whether you can leave the name of a dead/retired partner on your firm and I dont' remember what they are and I'm too lazy to look them up love yall

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Second ever lawyer job interview tomorrow with a spot in the state AG’s civil rights division. Position says it requires extensive travel to prisons around the state and significant prisoner contact. They’re only interviewing a small group of applicants and I made that cut at least.

That’s basically all the information I know about the job. It pays better than the other one, too.

Also two months no taco work and my body thanks me for it. Every now and then i do too much physical work and my back/knee are killing me after and I wonder how i managed to handle all of my taco work for so long.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 30, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

There are also disciplinary rules dealing with whether you can leave the name of a dead/retired partner on your firm and I dont' remember what they are and I'm too lazy to look them up love yall

In Louisiana it's fine to have them in the firm name, and also on the letterhead as long as it clearly states that they are dead.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ashcans posted:

My dad is "retired" and is of counsel. The firm bought back his equity. He still gets a percentage of cases he brings in (and still makes substantially more than me). He kept his secretary, office, parking spot, and access to their box seats. He goes to the office maybe 3 days a week, though I think like 10-12 and 2-4.
Basically he's taken a minor pay cut and has no billable requirements.

Things might be different if you don't have a book though.

His firm doesn't really kick retired people out. There's a dude who's been retired for 20 years, who I don't know if he brings any business in, who still has an office, though I think he lost his secretary at some point.

Oh and the entire firm name is populated by dead people, and I don't think CA cares.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Second ever lawyer job interview tomorrow with a spot in the state AG’s civil rights division. Position says it requires extensive travel to prisons around the state and significant prisoner contact. They’re only interviewing a small group of applicants and I made that cut at least.

Are you defending the prison system or looking for violations?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
My firm's partner agreement stipulates that retired partners get an office. That may mean they dump them in a paralegal office, depending on how important or huffy the retiring partner is. Also depending on office space needs. They don't make them change their title though. Not sure what they do with equity. I believe even if you're equity your income is dependent in large part on what business you bring in. So keeping the equity may not be that lucrative alone. The firm just gets to buy it back from you when you die.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

State-dependent; in NY it's fine to keep them in the firm name as long as they're either dead or retired from the practice of law (not just from the firm.)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't all biglaw not named Quinn Emanuel/Wachtell this: all name partners long dead?
(please note that I will recognize maybe half of biglaw names at all)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alexeythegreat posted:

Isn't all biglaw not named Quinn Emanuel/Wachtell this: all name partners long dead?

Some biglaw firms have living name partners (Quinn does iirc) but yeah for the most part it's all long-dead people.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Some biglaw firms have living name partners (Quinn does iirc) but yeah for the most part it's all long-dead people.

Bracewell Guilliani was a big deal name change that you don’t see very often.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Alexeythegreat posted:

That's what I thought.

Looks like Wachtell and Lipton are still there, but not rosen or katz. Looks like Quinn names are all still there.

e: Right on point, a retired Wachtell partner was making 7 figures a year! https://abovethelaw.com/2010/08/retired-wachtell-partners-playmate-denied-share-in-hefty-pension-benefits/

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 30, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alexeythegreat posted:

I like it when the named partner is dead, but there's like 3 others with their name because nepotism.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

nm posted:

I like it when the named partner is dead, but there's like 3 others with their name because nepotism.

We don't have any of that over here in Houston, Texas, no siree.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s basically all the information I know about the job. It pays better than the other one, too.

Also two months no taco work and my body thanks me for it. Every now and then i do too much physical work and my back/knee are killing me after and I wonder how i managed to handle all of my taco work for so long.

This is almost certainly defending the state and state employees (I.e. Prison guards) in actions brought against them by prisoners. If it's like the Texas version, you will wreck some pro se prisoners in federal trials. I knew a guy who did 20 federal jury trials in 3 years in Texas.

Just don't assume the prisoner is lying.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

Are you defending the prison system or looking for violations?

Yes, yes (but didn't find a single one)
I guess they let new lawyers cut their teeth on inmate lawsuits?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

Traurig's still alive

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I grew up going to the same shul as him but still couldn't get a job there

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have no idea which side, but i’m guessing not the prison side because the posting emphasized a strong passion for civil rights.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol yeah they still say that even for defending jackboots.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

probably because he's heard about you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is almost certainly defending the state and state employees (I.e. Prison guards) in actions brought against them by prisoners. If it's like the Texas version, you will wreck some pro se prisoners in federal trials. I knew a guy who did 20 federal jury trials in 3 years in Texas.

Just don't assume the prisoner is lying.

There are also the lawyers who try to fire prison guards.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have no idea which side, but i’m guessing not the prison side because the posting emphasized a strong passion for civil rights.
Pretty sure "what would you say you do here?" Is a key interview question.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Somewhere, at washington university, someone is feeling a chill and doesn't know why.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 1, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I hear prison guards are bad, bad people.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Makes sense, after all they're all in prison.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm an academic law librarian who has been called on to put together an upcoming legal practice technology class. It's a first for our school, and despite whatever grasp I have on legal bibliography and whatnot, I haven't worked in a firm before. I'm not completely starting from scratch at this point; I know more-or-less what software I'll need to go over and some of the key principles to talk about.

One topic I was hoping this thread might have some insight on is efficient use of common office-type software, chiefly Word, Excel, and Acrobat. I've read that new associates using them inefficiently is a headache, but I don't necessarily know what types of tasks they'll be expected to perform with them regularly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Acrobat for making PDFs, bates numbering, redacting info, combining/splitting

Macros in excel

Teaching people that Microsoft word can number your paragraphs for you so that you don’t want to kill everyone when a partner tells you to add a paragraph in the into of a 100 paragraph paper that is all hand numbered

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Word is actually really good for voluminous documents and pretty flexible with various numbering schemes and will auto generate table of contents for you.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm an academic law librarian who has been called on to put together an upcoming legal practice technology class. It's a first for our school, and despite whatever grasp I have on legal bibliography and whatnot, I haven't worked in a firm before. I'm not completely starting from scratch at this point; I know more-or-less what software I'll need to go over and some of the key principles to talk about.

One topic I was hoping this thread might have some insight on is efficient use of common office-type software, chiefly Word, Excel, and Acrobat. I've read that new associates using them inefficiently is a headache, but I don't necessarily know what types of tasks they'll be expected to perform with them regularly.

Teach them about redlining and the document comparison tools in Word. For Excel, geez I don't know. Basic level of knowledge. Know how to insert hyperlinks.

For Acrobat, let them know anything can be converted to PDF and OCRed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

i have met lawyers who didn't know how to do basic formulas in excel, like "this box plus this box should be displayed in this box" and were hand-calculating their excel spreadsheets

explain how to do that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Like half of the biglaw firms are named after people from centuries ago, so these rules must be pretty permissive.

Eh, beaten.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Vox Nihili posted:

Like half of the biglaw firms are named after people from centuries ago, so these rules must be pretty permissive.

They are. Here's Georgia's:

quote:

RULE 7.5 FIRM NAMES AND LETTERHEADS
(e) A trade name may be used by a lawyer in private practice if:
the trade name includes the name of at least one of the lawyers practicing under said name. A law firm name consisting solely of the name or names of deceased or retired members of the firm does not have to include the name of an active member of the firm;

The comment to the Model Rule 7.5 is similar:

quote:

[1] A firm may be designated by the names of all or some of its members, by the names of deceased members where there has been a continuing succession in the firm's identity or by a trade name such as the "ABC Legal Clinic."...It may be observed that any firm name including the name of a deceased partner is, strictly speaking, a trade name. The use of such names to designate law firms has proven a useful means of identification. However, it is misleading to use the name of a lawyer not associated with the firm or a predecessor of the firm, or the name of a nonlawyer.

As is Louisiana's Rule 7.10:

quote:

RULE 7.10. FIRM NAMES AND LETTERHEAD
...(g) Deceased or Retired Members of Law Firm. If otherwise lawful and permitted under these Rules [i.e. not misleading, retired person not now a public officer, etc.], a law firm may use as, or continue to include in, its name, the name or names of one or more deceased or retired members of the law firm, or of a predecessor firm in a continuing line of succession.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 1, 2018