Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've been hopping around packs a lot lately, and after trying Modern Skyblock 3 and liking it at the start, I very suddenly and very inexplicably got a bad taste for it. I don't know what specifically set me off it but it feels a lot like MSB2 in most appreciable ways, except... even more bloated? MSB2 was pretty bloated already and 3 throws in classic garbage like random rewards, and about five different mod solutions to every problem, plus about every major tech mod there is. Most of the time, I seem to find, lootbags are a bad sign.

It's missing a lot of the mods that I actually quite liked in MSB2 (Refined Storage, Quantum Storage, Zetta Industries, to name a few) and throws in all kinds of junk. Also unlike MSB2 it has no custom recipes, which you'd think might help the balance, but really doesn't feel like it does. Using the Stages mod, quests artificially gate recipes and items even if you have what you need to craft them, so you're jumping through hoops like needing to make diamond spikes to unlock the next group of items even though you already have access to player traps which are infinitely cheaper and do the same thing. So many mod interactions haven't been tested you get things like the earlier-mentioned Mega Loot Mod making enemies drop 100+ of their Reliquary drops in a single kill, so a single enderman can yield like 300 ender pearls.

And despite all these mods, even without the really awkward gating and staging, you find area of the mod that are strangely underserved. I've had to look up "hey what's a good option for [thing] in MSB3" and most of the time the answer is just "there isn't one" (and optionally some really contrived alternative).

I don't know why so much effort went in to this bloated, downright schizophrenic-feeling pack that ends up feeling like some flawed deja vu of MSB2 anyway, but it just made me appreciate Crimson Skies a bit more in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't get it, why don't you like being forced to progress all the way through Factory Tech before being able to faff around with RF

it's a strange modpack, but i do like the use of a new mechanism to gate progress other than Ex Nihilo and using custom recipes to ensure everything is crafted out of a hybrid of nether stars, ender pearls, diamonds emeralds and clay

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I just wish Ex Nihilo/Sky Resources starts didn't have this cognitive dissonance between the quest line and the author's expectations. The quest line appears to want you to reach a point, the author expects you to have over-engineered to reach that point a hundred times over. Adjust one or the other side of things and progress would feel more natural.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I dunno, Sky Resources, to me, is super easy. Like, you solve a couple of initial problems, then you basically have infinite metals forever as you acquire Tertius dust. It is really strange to me that so many folks avoid the crystal fluid like the plague -- it's the easiest thing ever to automate. You need cobblestone to make fluid droppers. Congratulations, it's automated.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

using custom recipes to ensure everything is crafted out of clay

i just realized Crimson Skies is actually this, everything is made out of transmuted/infused terracotta :magical:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

unrelated: hmm the bootes ritual from astral sorcery makes animal drops, i let it run for about five minutes i wonder how it's doi

:stare:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah I actually like Sky Resources more than Nihilo because Nihilo's placing/replacing/hammering method and endless loving sifting was never fun or satisfying to me in any way, even when it was pumping out lots of ore. The "alchemy" system of sky resources and the increasing productivity of dusts, casings, and condensers makes it somewhat fun to climb the ladder of productivity, then suddenly you arrive at something insanely powerful and you're swimming in metal forever.
Which I mean, that's what skyblocks tend to do, but I appreciate the relatively simple and low-mess method over the sifting and grinding method I guess.

There is something oddly satisfying about watching bars fill up and number multipliers rise, in a truly gaming skinner box sort of way.

Plus I guess I've just always preferred to keep things in as few blocks and machines as possible, which is why I'll take a single Mining Upgrade item transfer node over a bank of TE igneous extruders.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah I actually like Sky Resources more than Nihilo because Nihilo's placing/replacing/hammering method and endless loving sifting was never fun or satisfying to me in any way, even when it was pumping out lots of ore. The "alchemy" system of sky resources and the increasing productivity of dusts, casings, and condensers makes it somewhat fun to climb the ladder of productivity, then suddenly you arrive at something insanely powerful and you're swimming in metal forever.
Which I mean, that's what skyblocks tend to do, but I appreciate the relatively simple and low-mess method over the sifting and grinding method I guess.

There is something oddly satisfying about watching bars fill up and number multipliers rise, in a truly gaming skinner box sort of way.

Plus I guess I've just always preferred to keep things in as few blocks and machines as possible, which is why I'll take a single Mining Upgrade item transfer node over a bank of TE igneous extruders.

Yeah, I really love mods that let you become more efficient over time - Embers and moving from Hammer to Stamp Press is a good example (even if Embers is a mixed bag otherwise), and I really enjoy it with SkyResources.

Honestly my biggest complaint is that it just all becomes a bit much. By the time you hit Endstone a single dust is giving you somewhere in the realm of a whole chest of copper bars.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a dumb, stupid little thing but one of the additions i liked most about embers was the bins that held one of an item type and would physically show the stuff stacked up in them because it looked nice aesthetically

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a dumb, stupid little thing but one of the additions i liked most about embers was the bins that held one of an item type and would physically show the stuff stacked up in them because it looked nice aesthetically

wow, i never knew it actually rendered the items inside, because the typical use case for them is putting them under Embers machines to collect machine outputs :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, I really love mods that let you become more efficient over time - Embers and moving from Hammer to Stamp Press is a good example (even if Embers is a mixed bag otherwise), and I really enjoy it with SkyResources.

Honestly my biggest complaint is that it just all becomes a bit much. By the time you hit Endstone a single dust is giving you somewhere in the realm of a whole chest of copper bars.
I think that's largely a result of Sky Resources having too many variables per item. Cost and yield is modified by the alchemical dust you use, by the casing AND condenser multiplicatively, and by the inherent values of the item you're alchemizing, which includes both the amount of catalyst used on the alchemy bench and again on the amount of dust consumed at the condenser. If it all normalized/standardized a bit you probably wouldn't have that insane upswing.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

OniPanda posted:

Pretty much all I use it for is stairs and arches, because there’s no carpenters blocks. It’s neat, but yeah far too much a pain on the rear end to anything complicated

Speak for yourself

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My watch skipped forward 6 hours just looking at that

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

MaliciousOnion posted:

Speak for yourself

:allbuttons:

How long did that take to build?!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My current take on a pack is that sky resources should be near the end of the pack.

Your making stuff out of almost nothing.

This should be repleacing the ore/void miners/agri craft.

Not building up to them.

im playing ngu idle atm so......

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Meskhenet posted:

My current take on a pack is that sky resources should be near the end of the pack.

Not building up to them.
But how are you going to get the metals to build an ore/void miner? Those are huge resource investments.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

start with a laser drill and a clockwork engine

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Not building up to them.

im playing ngu idle atm so......

You should start with the things that give you free unlimited amounts of every kind of ore as the beginning, and work up to the mod that gradually progresses both its efficiency and variety of what you can make with it as you get better materials as the endgame?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 1, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

pls no agricraft

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

pls no agricraft

Agri-magicrop-ex-nihilo-enviro-skyresource-ex-compressum

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Oh you barely get any resources if you're not sifting 10/10/10 gravel.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Oh you barely get any resources if you're not sifting 10/10/10 gravel.

If you put 64 Sifter Pulsers (3 blocks of diamond each) under your sieve, you'll increase your sifting speed by 100%

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually it would be awesome to get like creative bins full of each metal to start with, and then have to go from there

have bonemeal be unlocked by the final quest; starve amid plenty

Midascraft

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

You should start with the things that give you free unlimited amounts of every kind of ore as the beginning, and work up to the mod that gradually progresses both its efficiency and variety of what you can make with it as you get better materials as the endgame?

No, the resource miners shoudnt be in the game at all.

Starting resources should be vanilla (maybe some tinkering or ore spawns and such, but limited like blightfall.

Then, as you tech up you open up the alchemy of sky resources. At first it is lower effiency than vanilla mining, but as you progress through a set of quests you unlock the higher tier stuff. So you go

mining for stuff (having to find it)
- mining for stuff but also able to slowly make what you need
--- making the stuff
----- unlocking the limitless resources with top tier alchemy

Im not talking about a skyblock either btw. More like a custom map.

Botania/thaumcraft - most of that ended up with duplication of what you have as top tier.
This is then a step above that where you actually start magicing poo poo up from wheat and cow piss

The thing that i think im against is once you get unlimited resources in packs the creators then alter recs or make other changes where you need to go overboard in production in order to progress.

The game effectively stops below that because the skiner box gets shown for what it is and the payoff to keep going is less than the payoff from stopping

to sum up- sky resources is a good way to have technically unlimited resources while at the same time still making you make them, which keep their value.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh sorry by 'replacing' I thought you meant replacing by way of progression, rather than having it instead of them. Right. Yeah I agree with all of that; resources are available to get but scarce but as you get into higher tiers of Sky Resources you can just make it all yourself.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
OH. You can eat food while full in Skytouched. That explains how I'm supposed to keep my nutrition levels up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

OH. You can eat food while full in Skytouched. That explains how I'm supposed to keep my nutrition levels up.
Apparently you're supposed to keep your levels between 25-75%. Too high and you lose the buff.
It's ultimately fairly minor, since I think every group in the right region is +1 heart overall, and you can gain a bunch by eating new foods anyway.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Anybody ever had their account compromised? I didn't have any trouble playing on Tuesday, but last night the client started asking for my password again, and the one I thought was correct wasn't working, so I tried to reset it. Never received any reset emails from Mojang. I submitted a request to customer service last night to have my account's email reset, but it's almost close of business in Sweden and I haven't heard anything back yet.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I lost access to my account and it took like a week to get a response. Then I juggled the email a couple times and now I still can't use the account. At this point I just use my wife's or my kid's because of how annoying it was to try to get it back.

Might have been 2 weeks. It was basically forever.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I've had an odd hankering to play some of this again, whats the current best adventure/exploration style pack?

Ideally with a bunch of magic mods in it but im not anti tech.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gregtech: New Horizons

this will inoculate you against grindy mods, but it's a bit of a trial by fire

e: but seriously, when did you last play?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Last thing i remember playing was the 1.7.10 mod when it was pretty new.

edit: quests were kinda just becoming a thing at the time i think, so something sorta questy would be rad

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 3, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Clever Spambot posted:

Last thing i remember playing was the 1.7.10 mod when it was pretty new.

edit: quests were kinda just becoming a thing at the time i think, so something sorta questy would be rad

Blightfall.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

McFrugal posted:

Blightfall.

Seconding this, it's an absolute gem of a mod-pack that I'm kinda sad to not see more of in the later minecraft versions.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Oh yeah i remember seeing the thread talking about that a while ago but never managed to realize it was an adventurey kinda pack, I'll try it out.

Thanks!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My bro and I are playing ftb revelations just could we could get a aerver to work. We're total newbs to all these mods. Is there a text guide to a lot of these mod additions? 45 min youtube videos blow chunks

We built a smeltery and the tinkers construct tables but arent overwhelmed with what they let us make

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Or basically a list of things we should be building to see the sights?

Weve got so many options we dont know where to start. We've taken care of p much the vanilla game

Edit: weve got diamonds, ores regular and nuclear, and tons and tons of bees???

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 4, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

a lot of mods have in-game manuals that you can make

actually additions, astral sorcery, botania, and immersive engineering all have amazing in-game manuals

actually additions is probably a good place to start

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
We have those books... the collection of all of them is dense but we'll try actual additions first.

Not sure they qualify as amazing though, theyre hard to navigate, written poorly and assume so much knowledge

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Madcosby posted:

We have those books... the collection of all of them is dense but we'll try actual additions first.

Not sure they qualify as amazing though, theyre hard to navigate, written poorly and assume so much knowledge

not... really? they're all pretty nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ok