Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Chael is going to keep his chin tucked and try to pointbox fedor. Is chael as good a striker as fabio maldonado? Probably not but i’m ready to find out.

Does Fedor punch harder than Rampage? Chael said rampage hit him harder than he’s ever been hit before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chael's path to victory is to attempt to point-box Fedor in round 1 and then wrestle him in rounds 2 and 3. Whether he can survive until Fedor gasses is the crux of it all.

Chael by KO is the funniest possible outcome.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i know history doesn't look kindly on tim sylvia, and he followed up the loss to fedor by losing even worse to ray mercer, but in context his wins against tim and arlovski were good imo.

and yes crocop smashed a bunch of cans, but again, in the context of the time and him as a kickboxing convert he also had some solid wins, fujita, barnett, igor, herring, aleks. yes a bunch of those have asterisks (ie herring being told he's fighting a wrestler, barnett's shoulder exploding in 30 seconds) but almost none of the heavyweights of that era will pass through this kind of was never good scrutiny because the divisions in pride and the ufc were full of bums.

the best you'll get is nogueira, and he benefits from werdum looking good retroactively (even though he wasn't great at the time), and still fought a few fat japanese guys, zuluzinho, an 0-0 judoka, etc

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Matt Lindland posted:

If we admit that crocop, big nog, and mark hunt actually suck rear end then fedors resume looks fairly bad. Interesting.

keven i'm sorry...... but for the 2 years mark hunt fought in pride and for several years afterwards he actually did suck rear end

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So what you're saying, dunc, is that fedor was never good and chael will win easily only to be crushed by meathead in the finals.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Alright first off my name is matt. Second I agree with you that mark hunt used to be bad. However, to paraphrase a Mitch Hedberg joke: Mark Hunt used to be bad. He's still bad, but he also used to be.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Mark Hunt's become a much more well rounded fighter because he's learned how to efficiently fight his way back to standup. But that's like saying a polyhedron is more round than a cube. Mark Hunt is a polyhedron.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

So what you're saying, dunc, is that fedor was never good and chael will win easily only to be crushed by meathead in the finals.

fedor was the best heavyweight in 2005 but his legacy is hampered by his abysmal strength of schedule even by pride standards and the incomparable matchmaking philosophies of the time. chael is much worse than matt lindland and will get his rear end beat without showing that he could easily win, like matt did. and yes fat shittrione will win

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

coconono posted:

Mark Hunt's become a much more well rounded fighter because he's learned how to efficiently fight his way back to standup. But that's like saying a polyhedron is more round than a cube. Mark Hunt is a polyhedron.

He's definitely more round than a cube.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mark Hunt owns, but he shouldn't have gotten a title shot against Fedor coming off of a submission loss to Barnett. That reflects more on Fedor and Pride than it does on Mark Hunt. They threw him in there to lose. That he threatened Fedor is more evidence that Fedor was never good.

And what happened to Hunt is pretty much what happened with every other name that Fedor faced outside of Arlovski, Nog, and Co Cop - they booked a fight with Fedor by showing that they could lose.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Chael looked a lot bigger than Fedor in the cage, was it just because he was wearing shoes?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

willie_dee posted:

Chael looked a lot bigger than Fedor in the cage, was it just because he was wearing shoes?

Chael probably puffed himself up a bit, maybe even threw in some lifts because Chael's weird like that.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I agree with dunc that no heavyweights from 10 years ago will pass through the never good scrutiny. Its ok to look back at what fedor actually did do and judge him to be cool. Its also ok to say that he almost got arm barred by mark hunt. When mark hunt didnt know how to do an armbar

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

fatt shitrihorny

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
nog and fedor both beat mark coleman so imo they were good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
you can only be as good as the competition you have in front of you. fedor and big nog etc all trained accordingly, its pointless to think about how complete they were as fighters because they trained in ways that suited them with the expertise and knowledge they had available for the types of fights they were expected to have

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

willie_dee posted:

Chael is 6'1" to Fedor's 6'0" and was wearing shoes while the other was barefoot, so it's both. Chael is around 225-230 and is pretty shredded while Fedor is pudgy and 240.

I'm honestly not sure that Chael is going to look small compared to Fedor at all, but there's a definite strength mismatch.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chael is 6'1" to Fedor's 6'0" and was wearing shoes while the other was barefoot, so it's both. Chael is around 225-230 and is pretty shredded while Fedor is pudgy and 240.

I'm honestly not sure that Chael is going to look small compared to Fedor at all, but there's a definite strength mismatch.

If heavier weights were at all competitive the way lighter ones are Fedor would definitely have always been a LH or even a middleweight. Look at the fucken guy

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fedor has the Lord Jesus Christ and One True Christian God on his side now, so it's pretty much a wrap.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DeimosRising posted:

If heavier weights were at all competitive the way lighter ones are Fedor would definitely have always been a LH or even a middleweight. Look at the fucken guy

tiny body big head fedor vs tiny body big head BJ Penn woulda done some money

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Fedor fought subpar competition in Japan, he should've came to America and tested himself against the murderers row of UFC HWs like Gan McGee, Tra Telligman, and Cabbage

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He was correctly afraid that Cabbage would gently caress him up

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've had a Fedor, Wanderlei, Matt Serra, and Sonnen AV.

When fighters from my previous AVs fight each other, I get the shakes.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I.N.R.I posted:

you can only be as good as the competition you have in front of you. fedor and big nog etc all trained accordingly, its pointless to think about how complete they were as fighters because they trained in ways that suited them with the expertise and knowledge they had available for the types of fights they were expected to have

totally agree with that also they lived in the transition between guys who like fighting and competitive athletes...

in a 60 minute or no time limit fight im still taking young chuck/pedro rizzo over most guys in history.... but neither guy is as suited to winning 3 five minute rounds as most the good fighters today.... Fedor/Nog/etc era those guys still started out in crazy more like a real fight rules, too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Matt Lindland posted:

If we admit that crocop, big nog, and mark hunt actually suck rear end then fedors resume looks fairly bad. Interesting.

I don't give a single poo poo how much Mark Hunt sucks (and I happily recognise that he does suck) but I will always watch him suck because sometimes when he sucks he walk-off KOs Frank Mir into kangaroo-meat-related retirement.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fedor definitely got a lot of cans but I think that speaks highly of his ability to keep both PRIDE and the fans excited about him. Which is pretty loving hard when you have a wizard and a priest on your payroll.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I believe Chael will grind him out.

But this is more of a religious belief than a result of critical thinking.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Fedor should have lost to Ricardo Arona, a handsome puffed up middleweight grappler who was on a steady diet of steroids for decades. I'm feeling things for Chael

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

But seriously how the hell is there any way Chael actually beats him? This should be like the bones or rashad fight but much much worse.

Bones is a good fighter. Rashad probably was at some point.

david carmichael posted:

I agree with dunc that no heavyweights from 10 years ago will pass through the never good scrutiny. Its ok to look back at what fedor actually did do and judge him to be cool. Its also ok to say that he almost got arm barred by mark hunt. When mark hunt didnt know how to do an armbar

He also nearly got knocked out by Kazuyuki loving Fujita, who does not and has never known what a punch is or what it's supposed to do.

chaleski posted:

Fedor fought subpar competition in Japan, he should've came to America and tested himself against the murderers row of UFC HWs like Gan McGee, Tra Telligman, and Cabbage

This is sort of the crux of the thing: Heavyweight is poo poo mountain. Fedor was probably the king of poo poo mountain in 2005 or whatever, but it was still poo poo mountain. No heavyweight is ever going to have a truly sterling record because there just aren't that many good guys to beat. If you look at the guys who are generally considered to be the best group of HWs in MMA, all their best wins are each other. We know JDS and Cain are good because of their trilogy, not because Cain beat Dennis Stojnic and JDS beat Stefan Struve. (replace with any of their other wins) I mean, look at the way the cards had to fall for Stipe to end up with 4 non terrible opponents in a row, and there's still massive asterixes on each of them (they're either crazy old, green, or Alistair Overeem)

That's why it's so strange that a poo poo mountain king like Fedor attracts the kind of fanatical devotion he has from fans. To the best of my knowledge, no one has started a thread here on the agony and ecstacy of being an Anderson Silva or GSP fan, despite that fact that both of them are substantially more impressive. Yet, even here, on one of the more rational MMA boards, we had that amazing Socrates thread.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
He's white and had a really long win streak.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
If you don't know why Fedor was popular I don't know what to tell you. He knocked people dead despite being a little guy, like Frankie Edgar but from 2005

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
The last time I watched Chael fight he got choked in a round by Tito

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chael is going to keep his chin tucked and try to pointbox fedor. Is chael as good a striker as fabio maldonado? Probably not but i’m ready to find out.

Does Fedor punch harder than Rampage? Chael said rampage hit him harder than he’s ever been hit before.

prior to that he said Bisping hit him harder than he’d ever been hit so perhaps you should not listen to anything chael says

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
also Fedor was the best in 2005 and all the making GBS threads on Fedor people do here is backlash from his horrible fan base and shady business stuff

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

vainman posted:

The last time I watched Chael fight he got choked in a round by Tito

One of the worst moments of my life.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

prior to that he said Bisping hit him harder than he’d ever been hit so perhaps you should not listen to anything chael says

It wasn’t that Bisping hit harder than anyone, but rather that Bisping rung his bell in rd one and could have TKOed him easily if he knew how bad Chael was hurt.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Chael can wrestle anybody including fodder emily’s ankle but will most likely get paralysis by analysis at some point and get tkod.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

vainman posted:

If you don't know why Fedor was popular I don't know what to tell you. He knocked people dead despite being a little guy, like Frankie Edgar but from 2005

I get was, not is, now, like 13 years after his last genuinely impressive win. Which was a decision. Over a man with no spine. In the literal sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chael shouldn't beat Fedor, but neither should have Hendo.
Sure, Hendo has/had the kill shot Chael doesn't but it's not like Fedor vs smaller dude is an auto win for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I think another reason Fedor is popular is that people, especially Americans, really like a living stereotype such as a Stoic Russian or a Bus Fighting Irishman.