Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

If season 2 ends where I think it does then yeah, I'm in the same boat. Last time I checked they were waiting for more of S3 to be done before translating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gologle posted:

I'd also recommend DICE. It's a good story and it's surprisingly intense. I'd absolutely recommend it over The Gamer any day, because I didn't like The Gamer at all and had to eventually stop reading. And of course there's also Kubera, but that might have been mentioned already.

Please note that even though DICE is on Webtoons, it's ahead of that point by quite a distance and the fan translation of it is much closer, not to mention better.

Yeah DICE is good. I'd say better than The Gamer, on par with Noblesse most of the time but Tower of God is better, not like these rankings matter, all of them are good reading and if you like one you'll probably like the others.

Personally I'd also recommend Wind Breaker, it's funny, good artwork and so far the story has been interesting. Lots of good characters and some good development so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is wind breaker about a guy who farts a lot?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so is wind breaker about a guy who farts a lot?

I know I kinda chuckle every time I write it out.

It's about street cycling stuff. A lot better than I initially expected going in. I think I recommended it here a while back. If you liked the "Rookies' manga about baseball it's got a lot of the same vibes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

That Works posted:

I know I kinda chuckle every time I write it out.

It's about street cycling stuff. A lot better than I initially expected going in. I think I recommended it here a while back. If you liked the "Rookies' manga about baseball it's got a lot of the same vibes.

my interest is piqued

it actually wasn't registering that I'd mean to check that one out a while back and forgot about it because I didn't remember the title

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ryuujin posted:

So whatever happened to Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School? Is it still going? Still good? Did the quality drop?

Never got official translation but the fanslations are still going.

http://mangakakalot.com/manga/special_martial_arts_extreme_hell_private_high_school

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Noblesse seems to be moving to the final arc then

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

Don't think I've seen this one mentioned: Reveries of the Moonlight

I've read about half of it now, it's got a more standard manga layout so this might appeal to people not used to the webtoon format and the art is really nice.

FYI season one of this is free this week

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jose posted:

Noblesse seems to be moving to the final arc then
For a while there I literally forgot Cromwell existed and had been teased as the major villain since nearly the first arc.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did the Veritas author/s go on to do anything else? I'm re-reading it on a whim after catching up with ToG and it's still great. Honse continues to be Extremely Good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pierson posted:

Did the Veritas author/s go on to do anything else? I'm re-reading it on a whim after catching up with ToG and it's still great. Honse continues to be Extremely Good.

according to mangaupdates, the author did a short webtoon called blade notes in 2015 and nothing since.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think I'm the only one who follows lookism but I can't believe they threw the little nerd kid into prison

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess the author of god of high school wasn't satisfied with just pubg because d.va's the announcer for this executive exhibition match thing

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Here's a chinese manhua that's pretty great (although there are only four chapters so far): Retired Heroes

It's a comedy about two of the former heroes who defeated the demon king and their incognito life with their daughter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gosu finally got to part 2 on webtoons

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Continued to read more I Don't Want This Kind of Hero, at episode 174 now. Man it is so good. The characters are all just incredibly well written and the plot in general is very unique. It's such a palate cleanser compared with most other comics I read.

vvv Yeah, its comedy is really great and I liked the more even mix of seriousness and comedy from earlier, though there's still a decent amount now.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 1, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I know, right? Although I do think it's sort of a shame that over time the more comedic aspects of it get toned down in favor of more serious subjects, but I guess that's alright, it's just evolving thoughts and plot threads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I assume everyone like me has mostly stopped reading kubera until there is a bunch to read but its pretty good rn and i recommend catching up only to not read it for half a year at a really good point

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That is exactly my game plan, you are correct sir, and your devilish insinuations will not break my resolve, because I know that the pain of awaiting new episodes will far outweigh the hype.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats fair. The recent chapters kind of explain I guess the point of the overall plot somewhat which i assume had never actually been stated anywhere else

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The latest chapter in I Don't Want This Kind of Hero made me worryingly happy, cus that bitch had it coming. I don't like those kinds of character types.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Woop! I was looking for this thread. I got a reccomendation.

An Uncomfortable Truth

Lezhin.com posted:

Yoseob, normally very quiet and composed, is in the police station convicted of stabbing 8 civilians with a knife. Everyone's wondering whether he actually committed the crime. Does he, a mere high-schooler, really have any reason to have done such a horrifying act?Does his obsessive love for his older brother, Jaeha, have something to do with it?

A better summary is "Four high school kids hurt each other because their afraid of being hated and abandoned by those they love." Just...wow. I binged this thing all the way through yesterday. It's free too. The translation is a little rough in the beginning though.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 22, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I was just looking for this one series I really enjoyed on Lezhin called Reversi, and I found this: https://twitter.com/TkfEjr/status/958373270390128641

Apparently Lezhin has some kind of hosed up business practices (like charging authors late fees and stuff)? I'm pretty bummed, because Reversi was really good; it was a very unique take on a basic premise that sounded pretty cliche on the surface.

edit: This link goes into more detail: http://www.themagicrain.com/2018/02/whats-up-with-lezhin-a-summary/

Best I can tell, the company basically punished EunSong and some other artists for speaking out against bad labor practices by blacklisting them, despite some (like EunSong) writing some of their most popular series.

edit2: Christ:
"Eun Song had been interested in webtoon artist’s welfare and was active in speaking up and making suggestions, which were all shot down. Since then, they had been discussing the subject on SNS. May 15 '17 in response to michii’s tweets about their recent denial to medical checkup and the late payment for the buffer episode, Eun Song tweeted that there is such thing as Seoul Artist’s Unfair Damage/Transaction Consultation, that they’re getting help from it and encouraged other authors to actively use it. The next morning, they received a message from their PD saying they need to talk so come to the office. When they asked what the meeting was for, the PD avoided giving them a definite answer and that night, told Eun Song the meeting was cancelled.

After that, until Dec. 18, Reversi not once was included in any event promotions nor was it feature in Lezhin main page."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 23, 2018

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that was a thing that happened a while back.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Korean webtoon industry is fraught with uproars and controversy, but more importantly, one of the webtoons I really enjoy is being translated into English and the translations actually seem really good (compared to some of the other stuff that I've seen on Webtoon, like Gosu or Sound of Your Heart).

https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/a-good-day-tobe-a-dog/list?title_no=1390

Spoilers for the first chapter, I guess, but really, it's in the title and the webtoon description itself.

A Good Day to be a Dog (오늘도 사랑스럽개) is about Hana, a high school teacher whose family have been cursed to become dogs at midnight when they kiss someone, which really puts a damper on her chances for romance. She's got a crush on Lee, one of her coworkers, but Lee's friend Jin is quite cold to her. One fateful night, she and her coworkers go out for dinner together, and she ends up getting drunk enough to muster the courage to confess...

A Good Day to be a Dog is one of my favorite webtoons running on Naver at the moment, and one of the 5 or 6 Naver webtoons I actually pay to read in advance. Hana can come off as sorta pushy and annoying at first, which may be offputting, but quickly becomes far more endearing to the reader after a few chapters. The main and supporting cast are good, the art's very cute, and despite the light premise the webtoon (eventually) deals with deeper matters like bullying. You really end up rooting for the romance between the two leads so goddamn hard and oh my loving god the two are cute together, why are they so cute together???????

Anyways if you like romance with plot twists (apparently the author has a reputation for them) then give it a go.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just caught up with UnOrdinary (which I realize is not Korean, but it's on webtoons so whatever), and John was/is a real grade-A piece of poo poo, god drat. I mean, at least he realizes he's a huge rear end in a top hat who can't help but hurt people when he uses his power. I really wish they'd cut to the chase with Seraphina figuring out his secret.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Ytlaya posted:

So I just caught up with UnOrdinary (which I realize is not Korean, but it's on webtoons so whatever), and John was/is a real grade-A piece of poo poo, god drat. I mean, at least he realizes he's a huge rear end in a top hat who can't help but hurt people when he uses his power. I really wish they'd cut to the chase with Seraphina figuring out his secret.

Yeah I don’t really get what the point of the flaskback in the last few chapters was. Gave no new info at all, just telling us the same story we already know in further detail. Just get on with it already

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That comic gets all kinds of press / ratings and at this point I feel like it's just... not that good. Kinda gave it a rest when random character we have little reason to give a poo poo about went on like a 10 chapter arc to be a superhero.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That Works posted:

That comic gets all kinds of press / ratings and at this point I feel like it's just... not that good. Kinda gave it a rest when random character we have little reason to give a poo poo about went on like a 10 chapter arc to be a superhero.

I mean that's related because the whole superhero thing is related to the main character whether he wants it or not

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shugojin posted:

I mean that's related because the whole superhero thing is related to the main character whether he wants it or not

Sure but it didn't really tie much into the main character or really unravel much of a plot thread at all. It just came off as a boring arc for no reason and then got back to the story. I dunno, it started out ok but its just not really doing much interesting anymore. Maybe I'll pick it up in half a year when I can power through a bunch of the crap in one sitting.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
unOrdinary is good, but I never really cared who Ember was, it seems like a dlc side plot when the main story is that the main character is extremely violent kirby

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its pretty clearly "the authority" or whatever the governemnt is called. its so loving slow though i only read it because i need something to read while having a poo poo at work

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coffee Mugshot posted:

unOrdinary is good, but I never really cared who Ember was, it seems like a dlc side plot when the main story is that the main character is extremely violent kirby

Like Jose said, there is pretty obviously a government conspiracy of sorts where the government controls Ember and uses them to discourage people from going against the structure of society by becoming superheroes (since their existence is a good deterrent).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jesus, Kubera. Girl better get godhood or something at the end of this. I'm going to be pissed if she really does end up dying miserably and alone.

That said, I am super interested in finally finding out what was/is going on with her mother/hometown. That mystery has been teased since like the fifth panel of the entire drat comic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: I started reading this new webtoon called "True Beauty" about this unattractive girl who becomes attractive through becoming super skilled with make-up through online tutorials. It's pretty interesting how they actually make the girl conventionally unattractive, since these types of stories usually have the girl be obviously attractive and just sort of tell the reader she isn't (or have the girl wear unfashionable clothes or glasses or whatever). The protagonist is also pretty funny, since she's a Korean teen who listens to Marilyn Manson and reads Junji Ito horror manga.

The make-up stuff is also interesting, since I don't know anything about that topic. The stuff related to making eyes look "better" is particularly fascinating; it seems like a massive pain in the rear end to have to do all the lash extensions, eyelid glue, contacts, etc.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Jesus, Kubera. Girl better get godhood or something at the end of this. I'm going to be pissed if she really does end up dying miserably and alone.

I like how someone (I think god-Kubera?) mentioned early on that she'd definitely regret going down this path, and normally you interpret that sort of thing as "it's the protagonist, they'll defy the odds or the challenges will just be stepping stones on their journey," but Kubera actually does end up with everything all falling apart.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 27, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what other options did she even have? so much of her journey consisted of enigmatic assholes refusing to tell her anything.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what other options did she even have? so much of her journey consisted of enigmatic assholes refusing to tell her anything.

The technique is called "crane dances through sewage." It consists of uttering the simple phrase:

"I need accurate information if I'm going to make good decisions. If I suspect that information from you is unreliable, I cannot follow your lead in a crisis."

However! None have mastered the use of this technique in 4000 years of human literature!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

True Beauty has introduced its love interest guy, who is this rude dude who also likes Japanese horror manga. This webtoon is cute; the protagonist is funny and a very realistic teenager, and the make-up stuff is really interesting.

lol:

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 15, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I wasn't going to check it out, but that taste makes me actively not check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I recently caught up with God of High School (I had previously left off near the end of the Ragnarok events), and god drat that's a really loving great series. I really loved the whole Mori Hui segment (I personally found him a lot more interesting than Mori Jin, though the final arc is also making Mori Jin much more interesting), and the choice to make him lose his power in the final arc was really interesting and sort of thematically satisfying. Having Mubong be a sort of morally ambiguous antagonist was also a really interesting choice.

I would probably put it up in the top 5 shounen (or similar genre) series I've read. Heck, maybe even top 3; HxH is definitely #1, but I'd absolutely put GoHS above some other high quality series like My Hero Academia. There aren't many series in this general genre that give me a feeling like the author is genuinely doing what they want and not making conscious attempts to appeal to the fan-base, and this is one of the few that gives me that feeling. The art style is also very unique and distinct, rather than a sort of generic style (like in Noblesse or something).

(btw, also gonna mentioned "My ID is Gangnam Beauty" here even though I also mentioned it in the romance thread, just because it's also very good and highly recommended for anyone who likes drama and/or romance)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 22, 2018