Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I seriously doubt Tolkien would have said the Silmarillion was his life's work. It was background notes to give LotR a coherent backstory. That is, in fact, blantantly what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I seriously doubt Tolkien would have said the Silmarillion was his life's work. It was background notes to give LotR a coherent backstory. That is, in fact, blantantly what it is.

And LotR was just background notes to give his constructed languages a coherent backstory.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

It all makes sense now. Martin will elevate the genre to big "L" literature by not finishing. As he always intended.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

It's debatable whether or not Tolkien himself would have called it that, but considering that it is literally the work he spent more or less the whole of his life writing and re-writing and which provides the underpinning for everything else that he ever wrote, I think it's entirely fair and reasonable to say that Silmarillion represents his life's work and its culmination.

I mean, Christopher Tolkien has made an entire lifelong career out of publishing fragments, re-writes, and expansions of the Silmarillion.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
DFW never finished The Pale King either

he had a really good excuse though, George

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Okay, so he's just straight up copping to never finishing the drat thing and telling people to stop bitching about it, right? Like, that's the reading here right? "Who gives a poo poo if I never finish it. Look at all these other stories that people still read that weren't finished either. I'LL BE JUST LIKE TOLKIEN AND DICKENS!! :byodood:"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I think his rationalization to never completing the books and expecting his fans to accept it is the absolute last straw for me and I'm at 4chan levels of toxic right now.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Well, i am pretty sure the authors he mentioned didn’t end their series with one of the main protagonists making GBS threads herself to death in a field while having done gently caress to advance the story line for two books.

Also, I believe the combined page count for LotR/silmarillion is less than the GoT series.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
So GRRM is just coming out and saying 'ya gently caress it I'm not gonna work hard enough to finish this before that next pizza kills me'?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Peake had a degenerative brain disease.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I should have never doubted the absoluteness of gurm's fuckery. This is some infinities beyond infinty type poo poo.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Asimov and Frank Herbert also (in)famously died with their life's works unfinished. It is, honestly, a sadly common thing for sci-fi/fantasy writers to bite it before they are able to finish their tales.
That said, I can't think of any of these writers who had the work ethic of GRRM. And, as has been pointed out, a lot of these writers, unlike GRRM, were busy fighting illness, raising families, fighting in wars, or otherwise doing lots of other things besides getting fat(ter) and blogging about football.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Asimov and Frank Herbert also (in)famously died with their life's works unfinished. It is, honestly, a sadly common thing for sci-fi/fantasy writers to bite it before they are able to finish their tales.
That said, I can't think of any of these writers who had the work ethic of GRRM. And, as has been pointed out, a lot of these writers, unlike GRRM, were busy fighting illness, raising families, fighting in wars, or otherwise doing lots of other things besides getting fat(ter) and blogging about football.

I would have a lot of respect for GRRM if he dealt with his crippling cheeseburger addiction by going out on a boat with a shotgun and hunting Nazi sharks

I am the god of tits and rum

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know this is the bad thread but I honestly believe grrm is a far more ambitious author than most other fantasy/sci-fi authors, I have empathy for how it must ultimately be incredibly stressful for him to even approach this epic he's created knowing how it is already perceived a masterpiece and how much scrutiny every sentence he's going to write is going to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if he spends all of his 'writing time' just going over the ten or so chapters he's already written and compulsively rewriting them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I know this is the bad thread but I honestly believe grrm is a far more ambitious author than most other fantasy/sci-fi authors, I have empathy for how it must ultimately be incredibly stressful for him to even approach this epic he's created knowing how it is already perceived a masterpiece and how much scrutiny every sentence he's going to write is going to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if he spends all of his 'writing time' just going over the ten or so chapters he's already written and compulsively rewriting them.

what are your thoughts on house Mallory?

(holky gently caress you're back)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
When did I leave?

I always said I believe gurm is a genius.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol not even grrm thinks he's gonna finish this poo poo

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm almost just kinda glad to see him say something about it in the first place.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

When did I leave?

I always said I believe gurm is a genius.

I dunno, you were really popular as a poster and then we didn't see you around so much?

I believe GRRM is a genius in that he has made bank, in the same way Kanye West has. You feel trolled sometimes but eh, I'm jealous of his output and success

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm almost just kinda glad to see him say something about it in the first place.

Less sad than ‘Grrm is not your bitch’ tho.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
He's only releasing Fire and Blood because he wants some cash from his publisher. And if by some miracle he finishes Dunk and Egg he can do Fire and Blood MK II. Couldn't his publisher sue if he outright said he's not going to finish the books? That's why I figured he bothers lying anymore

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SirKibbles posted:

He's only releasing Fire and Blood because he wants some cash from his publisher. And if by some miracle he finishes Dunk and Egg he can do Fire and Blood MK II. Couldn't his publisher sue if he outright said he's not going to finish the books? That's why I figured he bothers lying anymore

He probably has so much from the tv deal it doesn’t matter to him what the publisher wants anymore.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe, but I doubt he wants to deal with getting sued either. I'm sure they'd ask for advances and things back which could get pricey.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SaviourX posted:

Fake writing fantasy history doesn't really count as writing, guys, and it's a side gig anyway, and not really important, so of course he's gonna do it. Like little wiki articles poorly put together and turned to ruin in edit wars by zealous sycophantic fans that haven't gotten the memo yet.

He's just editing that poo poo right? I think that is his ideal role. He gets to write little sentences and clarify some points, and other people do the heavy lifting.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
scene: Dystopian Gibson future. The wealthy businessman looks down at small package sitting on the table. The size of an assault rifle magazine - black stamped metal - nearly featureless. The old ROM cartridge concealing it's highly illegal cargo. He jacked it into the deck in front of him, and watched as it booted up. Blue and white letters scrolled past. It was the real thing.

"Pay him" he said. And Noshinta pulled out a thick wad of cash, handed it to the man on the other side of the table. He grabbed his payment, politely nodded, and disappeared into the darkness of the nearly empty bar.

He'd waited years for this. Almost an entire lifetime. He had come across the books in his grandfather's attic. One of the man's last possessions - and probably the one that helped drive him insane. He'd been warned not to read those books - but of course he had. One of the many mistakes of his ill spent youth. The missing ending had haunted him for years. It wasn't until later - when the patent money had started rolling in - that he was able to return to the obsession. And it WAS an obsession. At first just a curiousity, an itch that he couldn't scratch. But as he looked deeper - finding movies, comics, scripts - by dozens of different authors - each claiming to have completed the series. But they were all trash. The original author had created a master's tapestry of plot - and he would recognized the old master's hand when he saw it. He knew it would take all those loose threads and bring them back together in an ending worthy of the name. He knew it. And must read it.

His body man Noshinta beckoned - it was time to leave.

Hours later, back at the penthouse, he sat in front of his private deck. His hands shook slightly as he gently slotted in the cartridge. It was highly illegal, this thing. All AI was highly regulated - this would never have been allowed today. But in those early years, mankind and their new AI friends had opened entirely new avenues of existence. And this was one. A ROM construct of an actual person. He conjectured it had been commissioned force ably - no one would willingly subject themselves to the horrors necessary to create this. Brain sliced and layered nano thin for processing and scanning. Being brought back "alive" then "killed" over and over and over - a hundred thousand painful automated deaths - until the personality finally "took" without error. And then for that person - trapped forever in this soulless box - tethered to the will of it's owner. It was a miserable fate.

He had heard that the original owners had tried to force the Author to finish this tale. But despite all the pressure they could bring to bear, the metal encased soul was silent. But he had learned much over his years of study. He knew what fed the old Authors soul - but most importantly, he knew what the author needed to write:

Blue and white letters scrolled down the screen.

* WORD STAR 4.0 *

It had been so obvious, really. A writer needs a pen and paper - and this was his.

he typed the required line:

>Load a:/runme.con

And waited for the construct to load. The monitor scrolled:

>con: where am i?
>you are here, wise author. I have awaken your ghost.
>con: did you bring the pizza?
>yes, wise author. Enjoy it.
Load b:/command pizza.con
>con: great! so where were we?
>You were going to provide us with the final chapters of your greatest work.
>con: oh yes! Definitely! It is almost finished, I just need a bit more time.
>of course - please take all the time you need.

I rubbed my eyes. It had been a long day, and the adrenaline was rushing out of me. I knew this would take a while. months even. The ROM had access to the latest generation of CPUs. They would allow the author to think - and write - literally 1000s of times faster than he could have when alive.

I would check back in a week.

cont. later

kcroy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 2, 2018

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
The correct thing to do is to never finish that. It's what He would have wanted.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

rapeface posted:

The correct thing to do is to never finish that. It's what He would have wanted.

Absoluta Irrumator Praetor
*makes the sign of The Seven

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

kcroy posted:

>of course - please take all the time you need.
Hahahahaha.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

If the infinite universe theory is true then there's a universe out there where GRMM has finished the series.

Also one where book 6 is just the word nuncle over and over

that is not how parallel universes work!

i can easily believe that "Gurm never finishes" is a universal invariant across this multiverse

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe, but I doubt he wants to deal with getting sued either. I'm sure they'd ask for advances and things back which could get pricey.

I'm sure the tv show money could cover whatever the book people want without the grum ever even noticing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

that is not how parallel universes work!

i can easily believe that "Gurm never finishes" is a universal invariant across this multiverse

theres at least one where he never started and we were all spared this..... this.... absoluteness of fuckery.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IRQ posted:

I'm sure the tv show money could cover whatever the book people want without the grum ever even noticing.

True, but there's a difference between being able to afford something and wanting to pay it.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

kcroy posted:

>you are here, wise author. I have awaken your ghost.

You're a good man, Charles Brown.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Asimov was a goddamn writing machine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov_bibliography_(chronological)

He was once asked what he would do if told he had only 30 minutes to live and replied "Type faster".

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Asimov and Frank Herbert also (in)famously died with their life's works unfinished

What was Herbert still working on?
edit: nm. I guess I never realized that there should have been more after Chapterhouse. Now I have to decide if I want to read the BS his son put together.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 10, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Let me save you the trouble.

No, you don't.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
To be fair you didn't really want to read Heretics or Chapterhouse, either.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

whowhatwhere posted:

Well, also in fairness, I think a big part of the problem with those two is that there is no final book. In my opinion, the Dune books sort of follow a rhythm; 1:2:1:2:1, with that last one never coming.
What I mean is, Dune is largely self-contained and can stand alone. Messiah and Children can't, and are basically both follow-ups and elaborations upon the themes and issues of Dune, and serve to set the stage for God-Emperor. God-Emperor, like Dune, can in some ways stand alone, certainly when compared to the books before and after it.
Heretics and Chapterhouse, like Messiah and Children, are basically stage dressing. They clear the stage of the old by elaborating and building upon the themes of what came before, in this case God-Emperor, while setting the stage for some new book....
That never happens, because Frank Herbert died.

So basically the issue is they're the first and second acts of a three act play, in which the third act was never, and will never be, produced. They're set-up without payoff.

I mean, also in fairness, don't get me wrong. They're definitely, even on their own merits, weaker than all the Dune books preceding them. I just think that their biggest flaw is that. They're incomplete.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Let me save you the trouble.

No, you don't.

I probably have to now. I mean before I thought them jumping to a new system was just the end of it all. done. Not the ending I wanted, but an ending. Now... its like... I gotta know. Wish I could just read Herbert's notes or something instead. Maybe I'll just read a synopsis of the books.

whowhatwhere posted:

I liked them ok. I know I'm on the outside on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I mean let’s be real here we all like terrible books on some level otherwise we wouldn’t be here.