Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

WE lost jrpgs when you mocked Tidus and Yuna laughing, shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Like, literally a turn-based rpg published by square enix is coming out in the summer

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Plus you want your knight/ninja and maybe red wizard to hit as hard as possible so you can down Chaos before his CUR4 turn comes up and wipes the damage you've done so far. Though in the NES version even 1-2 extra levels can be a huge power boost for melee damage later on. Especially with Masters.

If you want to min max to a ridiculous extent, use the GBA version because IIRC you keep esper state gains from level ups (but not the level ups themselves) when you die. Get Raiden asap and get someone close to a level, save, then level up and die a bunch to jack up their speed to crazy amounts. You can repeat with other stats but there's no real need. Get Ultima/Quick on them as well as a Jewel Box + Economizer and they'll be able to quad cast for 9999 damage on everything at break neck speed. You could drop the economizer for Marvel Shoes or Running Shoes if you don't mind refilling their MP constantly. I forget when it happens, but going too high in your Speed stat can have very bad effects. Not Relm Sketch Glitch bad, but character-crippling bad.

On the SNES version the trick is to just play without (over) leveling so that you can use Espers to boost stats on characters you like to use but tbh you can do whatever and you'll be fine. Even with garbage stats a person can still get Meteor/Ultima/Merton and Quick then proceed to wreck things. Though if you use Merton you need to have your party be immune to (ideally absorb) fire damage because it hits everything.

Everyone should play SaGa Frontier at some point. They don't need to play through all the characters but Red is a must.

Blue's story is good too if for no reason other than how they handle the conclusion of the Blue/Rogue duel, or the ending of that storyline in general.

I got that remake as a gift when I got my PS2 and to this day I've never played it because I'd played the original (with a bad fan translation) long ago.

They're hella different dude, go do it!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Like, literally a turn-based rpg published by square enix is coming out in the summer

Nippon Ichi and Atlus are still making them.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I may be crazy (I am) but I am really, really having fun with FFVI snes. I haven’t played it in a long time. (Technically the PS version but still) and I swear there’s something missing in the Advance version. It feels too easy to me. I played FF6A a few years ago and kinda just shrugged and it made me sad because this was such a big game for me growing up and I feared I didn’t like it anymore. I thought it was boring as gently caress. But here I am enjoying the snes version to bloody death and it makes no sense. Is there that much of a disparity between snes and advance versions? That’s not to say FF6 snes is hard it wasn’t as boring as what I played in the advance version. Am I alone?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ the only thing that comes to mind is the GBA version fixed some bugs like the one with evasion, so it might've been easier due to things working properly?

Tae posted:

And then another, even bigger one, gets a western release a few months later. :eng101:

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Tae posted:

*A* (couple of) turn based jrpg(s) is coming out this year?! Wow, the genre is totally not dead!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Even a new Atelier game just came o-

*looks at rep*

Oh, you're a crazy person. Never mind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s almost like this genre has always been niche other than a few outliers that stood out more for their presentational qualities.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Zodiac Age opening fmv is a kickinrad start, this is gonna be The Worst FF isn't it. When it started with a wedding I wondered as a joke who was gonna die and then lol.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Do you have a 3DS? Bravely Default is a very good JRPG. The subgenre is loving dead honestly, I’d recommend trying everything you didn’t catch on Playstation when it was new.

A short list of recommendations:
Star Ocean 2
Valkyrie Profile
Suikoden 1 and 2
Xenogears
Wild ARMS
Brave Fencer Musashi
Tales of Destiny

A good list. I'd add Tales of Destiny II/Eternia and Legend of Legaia

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
On the bright side...we still have DQ.

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ the only thing that comes to mind is the GBA version fixed some bugs like the one with evasion, so it might've been easier due to things working properly?

And then another, even bigger one, gets a western release a few months later. :eng101:

It makes that much of a difference?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Evil Fluffy posted:

I got that remake as a gift when I got my PS2 and to this day I've never played it because I'd played the original (with a bad fan translation) long ago.

Please take the time to play it, the game is both very different and very good.

But keep in mind that the game refuses to explain anything and your first time playing it will be pretty aimless if you don't have a guide of some kind handy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Himuro posted:

On the bright side...we still have DQ.

It makes that much of a difference?

Giving someone an extra dozen speed is noticeable. Doubling their speed (or more) means their base ATB regen is now at least as fast as when you Haste them, and when you Haste them you end up in Chrono Trigger-esque "the combat ticked once, Chrono can act again" territory.

You could technically save with Terra in Narshe, run through the game, level up everyone with espers to jack their stats to crazy levels, then die and have an entire run of the game with everyone having ridiculous stats from the get-go too.

...I think. Maybe you need to save with Locke so that everyone's stats are loaded fully via the generic moogles that come along with Mog to protect Terra? At that point you might as well just game genie their stats. :shrug:

CeallaSo posted:

Please take the time to play it, the game is both very different and very good.

But keep in mind that the game refuses to explain anything and your first time playing it will be pretty aimless if you don't have a guide of some kind handy.

I have no idea where it is. If it's not in a drawer in a dresser at my parents' place then it's probably lost to the abyss. My PS2 is in my closet but if I play a PS2 game I'm probably just going to try and run it in an emulator to save time when grinding.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have no idea where it is. If it's not in a drawer in a dresser at my parents' place then it's probably lost to the abyss. My PS2 is in my closet but if I play a PS2 game I'm probably just going to try and run it in an emulator to save time when grinding.

Good news, grinding is actively discouraged by the battle system in Romancing SaGa. Every combat progresses your Battle Rank, which causes progressively more powerful enemies to appear. Your best bet is to balance combat with weaker enemies (who provide a lower chance of stat gains and tech sparking) against combat with stronger enemies (who give greater bonuses but will gently caress you up if you're not strong enough).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I challenge anyone to name a even a single JRPG that's come out in the last 5 years :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark Souls

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I challenge anyone to name a even a single JRPG that's come out in the last 5 years :colbert:

chrono trigger PC

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I am Setsuna

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Covok posted:

I am Setsuna

Don't just make poo poo up with a Japanese-sounding name in it, that's racist af

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Don't just make poo poo up with a Japanese-sounding name in it, that's racist af

Was there a cultural appropriation controversy around that game? I didn't really do anything with it because it seemed a little derivative, so I don't really know anything about it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Not even remotely, and it wouldn't really be cultural appropriation anyway on account of it's a Japanese-developed game.

Stop taking the shitposting so seriously, geez.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I bought Romancing SaGa ps2 once. Fought a bunch of green lizards that were impossible to beat so I changed my character. Went to some snow place and got bored and sold it.

Have SaGa 2 or whatever it is on iOS. Love the idea of it but the execution is kind of boring. Mean to go back to it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

World of Final Fantasy, FFXV, and Ni No Kuni 2

and, obviously, Omega Quintet

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Magic is the most important stat on every character in FFVI because the Magic command is categorically better than any individual’s unique skill.

Also, Cyan is the worst character because the opportunity cost for his unique skill is ATB time during which the rest of your team cannot act.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Mechafunkzilla posted:

does Pokemon count?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Teasers of trailers for the prologue of the FFVII remake.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Cleretic posted:

Teasers of trailers for the prologue of the FFVII remake.

But Crisis Core already came out???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dross posted:

Magic is the most important stat on every character in FFVI because the Magic command is categorically better than any individual’s unique skill.

Also, Cyan is the worst character because the opportunity cost for his unique skill is ATB time during which the rest of your team cannot act.

They did improve cyan for the mobile phone version but thats about the only positive you can say for that version.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to take a glance at whether or not I should sell all my loot in XII ZA and holy poo poo it looks like there's some big complicated bizarre (hhaaaahh!) system. Um, is there a simple plan I can do for that for being middle ground just playing? I don't wanna totally screw myself out of gear, but I don't wanna sperg out on printed lists for minmaxing or anything at least until a second playthrough like next year or something. Can I just sell everything classified as loot willy nilly and buy stuff as it pops up in the bazaar, or is there a crafting system etc. that comes up to save for? I'm still real early, just did the thing to charge a sunstone, and have a few element-named stones that sound like keepers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

I tried to take a glance at whether or not I should sell all my loot in XII ZA and holy poo poo it looks like there's some big complicated bizarre (hhaaaahh!) system. Um, is there a simple plan I can do for that for being middle ground just playing? I don't wanna totally screw myself out of gear, but I don't wanna sperg out on printed lists for minmaxing or anything at least until a second playthrough like next year or something. Can I just sell everything classified as loot willy nilly and buy stuff as it pops up in the bazaar, or is there a crafting system etc. that comes up to save for? I'm still real early, just did the thing to charge a sunstone, and have a few element-named stones that sound like keepers.

There are two things to know

1) There is a hunt reward called great serpentskin. It does nothing if sold to the bazaar but is used in a quest. Said quest is a string of gotcha bullshit that lets you continue even if you dont do the extra things it wanted. you just miss out on a duplicate of a good item that you likely have already had at least one of for a long time by the time you do the quest. If you want to get that reward, get a guide and dont sell the great serpentskin.

2) You can very slightly game the system to unlock multiple items at one time. This really only matters for high-end items and good news; you can steal all of those from the trials mode. Just sell whatever you want.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

teh_Broseph posted:

Zodiac Age opening fmv is a kickinrad start, this is gonna be The Worst FF isn't it. When it started with a wedding I wondered as a joke who was gonna die and then lol.

Fun Fact: George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire book series was a major influence on FFXII. The opening section of the game with Reks follows the structure of the PoV character of Will in the prologue of A Game of Thrones.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, thank ya. After all the recent time in the XIII series and XV, it's cool to throw one in that has a job system again. Game off to a good start.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm playing ZA at the minute too though I played the original PS2 game also!

You can sell any loot bar the great serpentskin like an above poster mentioned. Really the only guide you need if you're concerned about missing stuff is one for the sidequests because a lot of them you'll easily miss and are either timewindowed or give loot that is only good when you complete them when they appear.

The Bazaar works like recipes when you sell the required loot to fit a certain recipe it appears in the bazaar and most items can be created endlessly though only one can be purchased at a time so if you're farming one and you know the recipe sell the items to make it once buy it then sell the items to make it again etc. if you sold the recipe ingredients for x4 of the item at once only one would ever appear in the bazaar. Does that make sense?

The other thing is that usefully the bazaar will use one instance of an item you sell to track multiple recipes. So let's say there is Recipe A and Recipe B

Recipe A
--------------
2x Dark Stone
2x Earth Stone

Recipe B
--------------
2x Dark Stone
2x Wind Stone

If you sell items in this order 2x Wind Stone, 2x Earth Stone, then 2x Dark Stone both item A and item B in the bazaar would show up. However if you sold the Dark Stones first then the Earth Stones you'd unlock only item A even if you sold the Wind Stones next as the Dark Stones were "used" up to create item A already. This will mainly be an issue for the really difficult items in the end game rather than before then.

Also look for a yellow sign near the semi-circle of area of rabanastre that muthruu bazaar exits into!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

Awesome, thank ya. After all the recent time in the XIII series and XV, it's cool to throw one in that has a job system again. Game off to a good start.

But 13 has a job system?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

But 13 has a job system?

A bad one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Himuro posted:

A bad one.

It's actually one of the most thought out and well developed combat systems in the franchise.

TBF tho that's a low bar, especially in the era of the FF phone games and most of the SNES games where half the stats didn't actually do anything and most status effects were bugged.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You think they'll show a playable build of ff7 this e3

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
They'll show a pre-rendered smoke and mirrors trailer because no one calls them out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Calaveron posted:

You think they'll show a playable build of ff7 this e3

I'd be shocked. There will probably be playable KH3, more TWEWY story teaser stuff and more FF15 DLC things. No idea bout new games.