Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

They're pretty fantastic. If you've ever failed at laying steady bead using a regular gun, it will take you about 30 seconds using a power one to be converted.

I'd be worried about getting my fancy power tool covered in caulk, since I invariably smooth the bead with a finger, forget that finger is covered in caulk, and grab stuff with it. Not really a big deal with a $10 caulk gun but a little more irritating with the $50 power tool version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I got curious to see if Makita also made a power calking gun, and of course they do...

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XGC01...L70_&dpSrc=srch

:stare:

Think I'll also stick with the $15 mechanical version...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

1100lb of force, what the hell kind of caulk or adhesive needs that kind of power.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
3M windo weld.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

skipdogg posted:

1100lb of force, what the hell kind of caulk or adhesive needs that kind of power.

Thx, just ordered my concealed carry pressure washer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

skipdogg posted:

Someone tell Colin Furze and point out he never made a web shooter as part of his superhero tools series

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Battery caulk guns might not make sense for a homeowner but it would be real nice when somebody has to ...say, redo all the expansion joints around their commercial building.

Hmm. Gotta look at my tool budget.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I'm not sure where this belongs, but I'm trying to figure out what drill bit to use on ceramic. Specifically my wife keeps finding flower pots that don't have drain holes in them, and would like drain holes added. Some of the pots are glazed while others aren't. Any advice on a drill bit that would make it through more than one pot?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Falco posted:

I'm not sure where this belongs, but I'm trying to figure out what drill bit to use on ceramic. Specifically my wife keeps finding flower pots that don't have drain holes in them, and would like drain holes added. Some of the pots are glazed while others aren't. Any advice on a drill bit that would make it through more than one pot?

There are bits specifically made for ceramic tiles.

I’ve never drilled a great number of holes with myself but that’s probably what you want.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Falco posted:

I've gone through terracotta type pots with masonry bits before (carefully, because they're kind of fragile), but if you're talking full on glazed ceramic, these can't be beat: https://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/tile-drill-bits

The only real trick is to make sure that you start into the hole with the bit at a 45 degree angle so that you make a little divot for the drill to bite into (and make contact with the ceramic at high RPMs), then arc up into 90 degrees while still running the bit to finish the hole. if you try to go straight in, it will just walk all over.

glynnenstein posted:

Battery caulk guns might not make sense for a homeowner but it would be real nice when somebody has to ...say, redo all the expansion joints around their commercial building.

Eh, not exactly going to get a strong value out of it, but I've spent $40 on much dumber things, especially because I've got a massive mental block around not doing a poo poo caulk job. I only knew these were a thing because we used one to lay down adhesive and caulk while building my parents house.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Anyone have experience with the Worx power washer? I need a power washer. Electric one suck rear end, and I just saw this thing. I had a worx weed wacker a few years back and it was bulletproof.

https://www.worx.com/hydroshot-portable-power-cleaner-wg629.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

stealie72 posted:

I've gone through terracotta type pots with masonry bits before (carefully, because they're kind of fragile), but if you're talking full on glazed ceramic, these can't be beat: https://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/tile-drill-bits

Holy poo poo that's a crap site design. gently caress you Dewalt.

I didn't see an "X" so I closed it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Man, it did not do that bullshit for me, so here's a direct link to one of the tools, and hopefully it won't do that again: https://www.dewalt.com/products/accessories/tile-drill-bits/tile-drill-bits-family

if not: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-4-in-Diamond-Drill-Bit-DW5572/202548301

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hell yeah, thanks. That looks like an interesting bit design, and I understand what you mean now by "start at a 45."

Sometimes my various adblockers and filter lists block the "X" button but not the ad itself. Or could just be hostile site design.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

mds2 posted:

Anyone have experience with the Worx power washer? I need a power washer. Electric one suck rear end, and I just saw this thing. I had a worx weed wacker a few years back and it was bulletproof.

I can't imagine 320 PSI cleaning much of anything, to be honest.

I got this one for a fraction more than you're paying there, and it's worked really well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPGMUXW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

stealie72 posted:

Eh, not exactly going to get a strong value out of it, but I've spent $40 on much dumber things, especially because I've got a massive mental block around not doing a poo poo caulk job. I only knew these were a thing because we used one to lay down adhesive and caulk while building my parents house.

I’m gonna call it ppe for hand cramp prevention.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

The only real trick is to make sure that you start into the hole with the bit at a 45 degree angle so that you make a little divot for the drill to bite into (and make contact with the ceramic at high RPMs), then arc up into 90 degrees while still running the bit to finish the hole. if you try to go straight in, it will just walk all over.

This is very good advice and also, not all carbide masonry bits are rated for ceramic. Don't ask how I found that out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mds2 posted:

This post is perplexing to me.

Electric power washers suck, but you link a "20V" battery powered thing?

What are you cleaning?
If you want to do say a driveway, then you need a petrol washer.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

glynnenstein posted:

They are used a lot in construction for applying epoxy for anchors. Hilti makes you use their gun, but Powers can be used in a caulking gun. I had a customer looking for 600 21oz tubes of epoxy for a bridge project, so they were a prime candidate for battery powered applicators.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tim Raines IRL posted:

My $60 Black & Decker does this with an adjustment knob directly on the device. It's also got a flashlight directly on the device. Having to use my phone to adjust my drill seems... dubious.

You're thinking too small.. professionals use these tools beyond what you're using your black and decker for. Some of those professionals are good at what they do but are still too dumb to remember or don't care to change the speed depending on the project. Maybe they want a more specific rpm than the set levels. This lets a project manager maintain and organize a sites tools easily

stealie72 posted:

They're pretty fantastic. If you've ever failed at laying steady bead using a regular gun, it will take you about 30 seconds using a power one to be converted.

It would be pretty amazing if you're doing siding

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

skipdogg posted:

The ~big tubes~ of construction adhesive are basically loving nightmarish to use in a manual gun, because the stuff has the rough consistency of slightly warm pancake batter, so by the end of a week of doing it manually you'll have the grip strength of a gorilla. Also your hand won't want to bend right for a month.

The 18v ones are designed to be used to glue those huge Styrofoam and concrete fascia plates onto poo poo, or gluing siding to a house, because of course you can glue siding on.

Edit: Or apparently bridge epoxy. I learned a thing today!

The 12v ones are designed to use the smaller 10 oz tubes of caulk for poo poo like gluing down the tabs of shingles, or fixing driveway cracks or whatever, where a nice even bead is hard as poo poo to do by feel until you're 90% of the way through the project.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 1, 2018

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

stealie72 posted:

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton man, we'll see if I can tackle some of these pots we have laying around. And thanks for the advice on use, I wonder if using it on a drill press would help at all. I'll try both doing it by hand and starting at 45 degrees and using a drill press to and see what happens.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Falco posted:

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton man, we'll see if I can tackle some of these pots we have laying around. And thanks for the advice on use, I wonder if using it on a drill press would help at all. I'll try both doing it by hand and starting at 45 degrees and using a drill press to and see what happens.

You don't need your drill press to do that just make sure to pour water on it while you're drilling

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I know I'm late to the garage door opener party, but I just finished installing my 1 1/4hp chamberlain with wifi. The wifi works great. I couldn't figure out why my range was so terrible on the remotes. LED bulbs are a problem in garage door openers I was unaware of. Swapped them for regular bulbs and all is well. I'd never have guessed that.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You're thinking too small.. professionals use these tools beyond what you're using your black and decker for. Some of those professionals are good at what they do but are still too dumb to remember or don't care to change the speed depending on the project. Maybe they want a more specific rpm than the set levels. This lets a project manager maintain and organize a sites tools easily

Ah ha! I hadn't even thought about the idea of someone besides the direct operator using this, that makes a lot of sense. My gut reaction is to revolt against such ideas because I am so goddamn sick of every new toaster wanting to have app integration, but I think that clouded my snap-judgement here.

Unrelated: yesterday I decided that there's a word for people (like me) who have no real business owning dangerous tools, but go out on their noontime breaks to hack up trees: Luncher-jacks.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Ah ha! I hadn't even thought about the idea of someone besides the direct operator using this, that makes a lot of sense. My gut reaction is to revolt against such ideas because I am so goddamn sick of every new toaster wanting to have app integration, but I think that clouded my snap-judgement here.

Unrelated: yesterday I decided that there's a word for people (like me) who have no real business owning dangerous tools, but go out on their noontime breaks to hack up trees: Luncher-jacks.

haha no worries, like I was saying the average homeowner doesn't need milwaukee. Luncher jacks is great I'm going to steal that. Be careful, one of the best people I've ever seen on a saw and a professional logger almost killed himself when he slipped on a hill and landed on the running saw cutting his stomach open. Always look up and watch for widowmakers. Chainsaws don't mess around. Like you at least have chaps right? :/

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 1, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Always look up and watch for widowmakers. Chainsaws don't mess around. Like you at least have chaps right? :/

got chaps, got gloves, got head/face/ear protection. Fully read the safety manual for the saw, then spent a couple hours watching "chainsaw how to" and "chainsaw fail" videos on Youtube :-P Started with some ~6-8" trees that were on the ground and very easy to support and section, to get a feel for the work and the tool.

So far the stuff I'm dealing with is winter-killed trees that are already on the ground. I have a few things that need to be dealt with which are scarier than that, or just too thick to do with this saw safely, but I am expecting to bring in a professional for a day or two. Only scary moment so far was trying to drop a section of ~15" pine (which was well supported, but about 4' off the ground) and having my cuts not line up exactly, causing it start to twist the saw out of my hands on its way down. That seemed Real Bad, and I see how very easy it would be to just get straight up killed trying to do something which "doesn't look that scary".

My brother in law had a co-worker kill himself last year, when he was up in a tree, cutting something over and right in front of his face, and the saw got knocked backwards and split his head apart. My takeaway from that was "don't cut poo poo in front of you / at head level" and also probably "don't be loving off the ground up in a goddamn tree with a saw unless you really, really, really know what you're doing". In my day job I do quality assurance automation (for mostly boring enterprise software), and my general philosophy of life is "everything is probably hosed or dangerous or broken in a hidden way, watch out". But, yea, even this little electric makita chainsaw instantly felt like one of the more dangerous things I own, and I have guns and a motorcycle...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 1, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

My brother in law had a co-worker kill himself last year, when he was up in a tree, cutting something over and right in front of his face, and the saw got knocked backwards and split his head apart. My takeaway from that was "don't cut poo poo in front of you / at head level" and also probably "don't be loving off the ground up in a goddamn tree with a saw unless you really, really, really know what you're doing"

One of the rules I've heard is just straight-up don't use a chainsaw unless you're standing on solid ground. Ladders or standing on the tree itself are not considered solid ground. I assume this rule is broken routinely by professionals, which I am not. I'll suck it up and use a handsaw for any elevated cutting I need to do, and if that's too onerous then I'll hire a tree service.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the rules I've heard is just straight-up don't use a chainsaw unless you're standing on solid ground. Ladders or standing on the tree itself are not considered solid ground. I assume this rule is broken routinely by professionals, which I am not. I'll suck it up and use a handsaw for any elevated cutting I need to do, and if that's too onerous then I'll hire a tree service.

Yup, this makes sense to me. Honestly, I wouldn't even want to try to remove a larger limb with a handsaw; anything that's heavier than I can lift with one arm, is not something I want to be cutting from off the ground...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Can confirm that a tree losing a bunch of weight as you're lopping off stuff can make it behave weird ways. The one and only time I used a saw on a ladder I was topping a small maybe 15 foot high ornamental tree next to the driveway, and I guessed completely wrong what direction the top was pulling the trunk. Ended up nearly getting tossed off my ladder with a running saw after the trunk whipped a couple feet in the "wrong" direction and then back at me.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

stealie72 posted:

Can confirm that a tree losing a bunch of weight as you're lopping off stuff can make it behave weird ways. The one and only time I used a saw on a ladder I was topping a small maybe 15 foot high ornamental tree next to the driveway, and I guessed completely wrong what direction the top was pulling the trunk. Ended up nearly getting tossed off my ladder with a running saw after the trunk whipped a couple feet in the "wrong" direction and then back at me.

Per the OSHA thread, you should search on YouTube for "Chainsaw Fail Compilation".

I mean, you SHOULDN'T, but it's full of exactly this sort of thing and shows how quickly it can go sideways.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

EvilBeard posted:

I know I'm late to the garage door opener party, but I just finished installing my 1 1/4hp chamberlain with wifi. The wifi works great. I couldn't figure out why my range was so terrible on the remotes. LED bulbs are a problem in garage door openers I was unaware of. Swapped them for regular bulbs and all is well. I'd never have guessed that.

They make LEDs for this purpose. Didn't know this either and spent a year cursing at the lovely batteries in my remotes before I looked into signal problems. Don't remember what I bought but have had no issues since I got the purpose built ones.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Raised by Hamsters posted:

They make LEDs for this purpose. Didn't know this either and spent a year cursing at the lovely batteries in my remotes before I looked into signal problems. Don't remember what I bought but have had no issues since I got the purpose built ones.

Yeah, it was just weird to find out. My local Menards has 60W equivalent soft white, but I'll probably go Amazon just because I prefer 5000K light instead of the soft white in the garage. It was just so weird to me. I noticed it first when I programmed the remote keypad for entry and it worked at the opener, then went I mounted it outside the door it didn't.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, it's how most LED bulbs use simple capacitive droppers to get to their voltages, which is super duper noisy in the same spectrum that garage door RF remotes work on.

Also sometimes, because of this, you get LED bulbs in the opener that never fully shut off and get a kind of capacitive glow when in the "off" position. Allegedly this is due to the way the openers work/are wired (Especially chamberlain IIRC?) through the motor windings.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Any recommendations for bandsaw tires? Im hopefully going to be getting an old 14 inch delta but it’s going to need some work.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

coathat posted:

Any recommendations for bandsaw tires? Im hopefully going to be getting an old 14 inch delta but it’s going to need some work.

I just finished a rehab on a 1962 14" Delta bandsaw and put these tires on it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BLUE-MAX...872.m2749.l2649

They were great, and even came with a basic little tool to help get them on which helped a ton. Definitely warm them up in hot water and use the tool. Even with that it took some squeeze clamps and two of us to get them on mine. They are working out great though.

Let me know if you need any advice once you pick it up. Mine turned out to be quite a bit more work than I had originally planned, but it was a really fun project and it cuts like butter.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Thanks, I'll probably have a lot of work to on it since it's currently motorless and probably hasn't been used in decades. But on the plus side the wheels and blade guard move easily and it already has a riser block so I can finally cut more than the tiny resaw capacity on my 12 inch craftsman.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

coathat posted:

Thanks, I'll probably have a lot of work to on it since it's currently motorless and probably hasn't been used in decades. But on the plus side the wheels and blade guard move easily and it already has a riser block so I can finally cut more than the tiny resaw capacity on my 12 inch craftsman.

Yeah mine was in a similar boat. I was lucky that mine already had the riser block and a 1.5hp motor on it. But all the bearings needed replacing, the drive shaft had a giant groove from the bad bearings, the whole thing needed refinishing, and many little parts were missing. But on the whole, it was a fun project, and there is a ton of information out there on these saws. Hopefully you're able to snap it up relatively cheap and fix it up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

This post is perplexing to me.

Electric power washers suck, but you link a "20V" battery powered thing?

What are you cleaning?
If you want to do say a driveway, then you need a petrol washer.

Having finally bitten the bullet and purchased a gas power washer... yeah there's no way you're going to make an equivalent electric washer without either feeding it 220VAC, or a giant stack of batteries to be consumed rapidly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I actually live in 240V land and yeah, it's still not enough.

You can collapse the spray to 0 degrees and clean anything given enough time, but the petrol washer "pays itself off" after just a few tens of square meters.