Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Sunning posted:

For the past five years, games that sweep GoTY awards tend to be about a murderer who learns to love again through the magic of fatherhood, such as The Walking Dead, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us.

So...

clearly in breath of the wild: 2, link has to be a 40 something year old man with an estranged preteen child to really rake in the awards again

also zelda died of [terminal illness]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yesss, ikaruga is coming

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/991393606077366273?s=19

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Raserys posted:

also zelda died of [termina illness]

Fixed

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vertical mode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zelda was killed by that dragon cancer. But like, an actual dragon

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Vertical mode

It's in there!!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Manky posted:

It's in there!!

Good!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Oh great, I gotta buy Ikaruga for the sixth or seventh time I guess.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Raserys posted:

clearly in breath of the wild: 2, link has to be a 40 something year old man with an estranged preteen child to really rake in the awards again

also zelda died of [terminal illness]

Link had a baby before getting cryo-frozen, now he's gotta teach his own ancestor how to be the hero Hyrule needs.

The baby is Mipha's thank you for reading my fanfic.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Fish man Link is gonna own.

Not Operator posted:

Link had a baby before getting cryo-frozen, now he's gotta teach his own ancestor how to be the hero Hyrule needs.

Fish man Link is gonna own.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Any good cases that also store the dock?

I use this one
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01N23OP50

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Sunning posted:

For the past five years, games that sweep GoTY awards tend to be about a murderer who learns to love again through the magic of fatherhood, such as The Walking Dead, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us.

So...

And Breath of the Wild! Don't forget Breath of the Wild!

so many dead bokoblins... they had families goddammit

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Not Operator posted:

Did Mipha at least give him a handy when he had to jizz on the eggs?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Lodin posted:

Did Mipha at least give him a handy when he had to jizz on the eggs?

I feel like this post is my punishment for not thinking through the mechanics of my joke.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Holy poo poo, gently caress yes. Gonna lean my Switch against a stack of books playing this vertically.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ikaruga on Switch on my birthday! Hooray!

*Snaps my Ikaruga GameCube disc in two*

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ikaruga on Switch on my birthday! Hooray!

*Snaps my Ikaruga GameCube disc in two*

Doesn't that version have a better translation?

e: I may be thinking of the on disc stuff instead of the actual game, since it looks like they just straight up cut out the intertitles in the GC version I'm looking at.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ikagura always seemed like such a cool game. I'm not into bullet-hell so I know what's not for me, but I really appreciate the price they're offering at.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

SeANMcBAY posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress yes. Gonna lean my Switch against a stack of books playing this vertically.

smh if you don't rotate a 42 inch flatscreen TV for this.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Hey Nintendo! Thanks for the 30% off select titles birthday email! Let’s see what I get to choose from!

*Wii U and 3DS titles*

:argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jackhunter64 posted:

smh if you don't rotate a 42 inch flatscreen TV for this.

I’m actually considering a wall mount that will let me do just that.:hehe:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sunning posted:

So...

I don’t know if Tropical Freeze really qualifies for GotY though.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
i've noticed this morning that Death Road to Canada was removed from the "Coming Soon" section. Is it still coming out on the 15th?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ikagura always seemed like such a cool game. I'm not into bullet-hell so I know what's not for me, but I really appreciate the price they're offering at.

Its actually not well liked by hardcore bullet hell people. I ferget why tho. Been a while since i saw the argument come up

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Castor Poe posted:

i've noticed this morning that Death Road to Canada was removed from the "Coming Soon" section. Is it still coming out on the 15th?

They delayed it after the van murder in Toronto happened

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Castor Poe posted:

They've delayed it out of respect for what happened in Toronto.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

They didn't think it would be in good taste to release it so soon after that incel killed 9 people with a truck in Toronto.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Its actually not well liked by hardcore bullet hell people. I ferget why tho. Been a while since i saw the argument come up
Just depends on who you ask, lots of hardcore players like the game a lot. Ikaruga has an extremely rigid and fixed scoring system which a lot of people don't like, it's 100% pure memorizer where as many other shmups lean more heavily on reacting to semi-random elements.

It's also not really a bullet hell game, 99% of your dodging is just color recognition and not running into walls.

It's also very short, and simple in terms of mechanics, which isn't a good or bad thing mind you, it just is what it is. Some people like Shmups with tons of crazy weapon systems and scoring systems, where as Ikaruga is very very simple.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Link/zelda having a kid is such low hanging fruit though. It’s inevitable

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
If Nintendo wants quick GOTY cred, just switch it up and let Zelda have the triforce of courage for once, and have her go on the adventure instead of Link. Tragic story or whatever can come later.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Game Awards top 5 will absolutely consist of MHWorld, Red Dead 2, God of War, and Fortnite.

What award could Fortnite possibly win? Most quickly thrown together skeleton of a game?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sunning posted:

So...

Man I forgot that bioshock infinite won four awards, what a mess that game was

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SpacePig posted:

If Nintendo wants quick GOTY cred, just switch it up and let Zelda have the triforce of courage for once, and have her go on the adventure instead of Link. Tragic story or whatever can come later.

Why can't she have an adventure with the Triforce of Wisdom? Any reason? It would make for a completely different type of game if it had to center around wisdom instead of courage. A lot more puzzle-y I would assume.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Breath of the wild got like 150+ goty awards, I think they've got it figured out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just depends on who you ask, lots of hardcore players like the game a lot. Ikaruga has an extremely rigid and fixed scoring system which a lot of people don't like, it's 100% pure memorizer where as many other shmups lean more heavily on reacting to semi-random elements.

It's also not really a bullet hell game, 99% of your dodging is just color recognition and not running into walls.

It's also very short, and simple in terms of mechanics, which isn't a good or bad thing mind you, it just is what it is. Some people like Shmups with tons of crazy weapon systems and scoring systems, where as Ikaruga is very very simple.

The memorisation aspect also led to one player having a complete loving meltdown over the Xbox Live Arcade version because they mirrored one of the levels.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They can have Zelda touch something or get some object that let’s her transform into Rito, Gorudo, Korok so she can fight or sneak or whatever.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 1, 2018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Lobster posted:

Why can't she have an adventure with the Triforce of Wisdom? Any reason? It would make for a completely different type of game if it had to center around wisdom instead of courage. A lot more puzzle-y I would assume.

That actually sounds like fun. I like it.

e: Now that I think about it, though, they sort of tried something like that with Super Princess Peach, and it ended up being a cute game with not a whole lot of depth or challenge to it.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 1, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Lobster posted:

Now I want an Ace Attorney: Investigations but with Zelda.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

njsykora posted:

The memorisation aspect also led to one player having a complete loving meltdown over the Xbox Live Arcade version because they mirrored one of the levels.

Please share this meltdown, I love meltdowns.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

They can have Zelda touch something or get some object that let’s her transform into Rito, Gorudo, Korok so she can fight or sneak or whatever.

So Majora’s Mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SpacePig posted:

e: Now that I think about it, though, they sort of tried something like that with Super Princess Peach, and it ended up being a cute game with not a whole lot of depth or challenge to it.

My biggest worry about Nintendo doing a game with playable Zelda is that they half-rear end it into some sort of Triforce Heroes spin-off game and when it flops or at least doesn't sell very well and only gets middling review scores they'll take that as an excuse to say, "See? You didn't really want to play as Zelda."

e: Not that Triforce Heroes was bad or anything, I had fun with it, but it was clearly like a C-team effort.

• Locked thread