Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

“Boy am I sure glad that game took 100 hours to beat.” - Something I will never say in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

“Boy am I sure glad that game took 100 hours to beat.” - Something I will never say in my life.

GoW is the perfect length for a “big game” imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have 0 but honestly when I get in the mood for Yakuza would it be alright to just grab 6? Gf and I played some hours into 0 and enjoyed it a lot but I don’t know. We didn’t stick with it and I’m always chasing that new hotness.

6 is a lot smoother with the new engine. It’s got a shorter story and less side content, but what’s there is real good. I don’t see “less stuff” as a real problem, the Yakuza games were getting huge.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ugly In The Morning posted:

6 is a lot smoother with the new engine. It’s got a shorter story and less side content, but what’s there is real good. I don’t see “less stuff” as a real problem, the Yakuza games were getting huge.

That’s exactly what I want out of Yakuza. Cool. I’ll get it later this year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crows Turn Off posted:

Alan Wake could have been cool, but for having such a focus on graphics, the facial animation and lip-syncing was abysmal, they didn't even try. It was bad even for its time, like what the hell was that about. Very distracting and bad.

Your last sentence almost makes this read like a Trump tweet lol. Like, it's obviously way more coherent but it made me do a sensible chuckle when I read it in that voice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have 0 but honestly when I get in the mood for Yakuza would it be alright to just grab 6? Gf and I played some hours into 0 and enjoyed it a lot but I don’t know. We didn’t stick with it and I’m always chasing that new hotness.

Naw play 0. All yakuza are largely more of the same. One of the Joy's is watching the same place change over the years. I'm barely into 6, so can't judge fully. But 0 is really great. Dont chase the new hotness this time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah dude, keep playing 0, it's great. Kiwami is on sale for cheap if you want to keep going after that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

0 is much better and bigger. You could play 6 but you already own a better game so idk

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s exactly what I want out of Yakuza. Cool. I’ll get it later this year.

It’s well worth it. The only side game I miss is pool. The new stuff like spear fishing is fun, and the stuff that was reworked like darts is really improved once you get a feel for it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Just financially playing 0 and catching kiwami on sale and then buying 6 would be way cheaper.

Selfishly I want everyone to buy 6 now. Support this series. I demand it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I bought kiwami 1 to get into the series before 0 am I hosed

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah. Stop and buy 0 first.

100%. Do not play kiwami 1st.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why not

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

Not necessarily, the plot is just cooler if you came into it from 0. Also Kiwami may be a coat of new paint, but it's still very clearly the first game in the series, so it's lacking content and good sidequests compared to the other games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

beep by grandpa posted:

I mean it should work all right as a prequel but Majima's character will probably be confusing as gently caress for you initially.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The plot is infinitely better playing 0 first.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kiwami has a million things happen that will not impact you if you havent played 0

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The 'completion' screen that pops up when you beat the main story in Yakuza 0 showed that I had played 49 hours but only had 41% completion - and I felt like I rushed it at the end as I just plowed through the story from the time I found out the owner of the Empty Lot until the end

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

So I hosed up then...:cry:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

So I hosed up then...:cry:

There's a humble ps4 bundle going on that comes with 50% off Yakuza 0, so, y'know, it's not too late.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Persona 5's combat would've dragged but then they hand you multiple methods to just break the level curve so

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You ever try to read a bad fantasy novel where the Shmorks are battling the Gubahs and then the Grand Visar of the Heeps is killed.

And you go who the gently caress are these and why the gently caress do I care? That's Kiwami without 0. A blur of Japanese names doing things to other Japanese names and who cares.

0 is an incredible and for everything that happens, relaxed entry into the world that let's you breathe in it before insane world changing things happen.

It works so much better I do not think anyone should touch kiwami without 0

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yup. Just gotta buckle up for being on rails for a few hours

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bombadilillo posted:

Even at that pace, I'd play something in between games. 0 can last you 80 hours of you get crazy into the 2 big side games.

Yeah that won't happen, maybe when I was in college or back when I was in my mid-20s but not now. I'll power through the story and do a couple sidequests probably but I'm not platting anything. Luckily How Long To Beat says about 30 hours for main story, seems reasonable enough to get through in a month or so at a casual pace.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still kinda miffed Quantum Break is Xbox1 exclusive and actually staying that way, because it looks fun. But considering the other dozen games I've got, I can live without it.

You shouldn't; I played it on my PC: It's a really boring and forces you to watch badly produced network TV show segments that go on forever.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i feel like i should quit god of war now that i beat sigrun but i'm still only like 64% of the way to plat

time to grind out niflheim

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

You ever try to read a bad fantasy novel where the Shmorks are battling the Gubahs and then the Grand Visar of the Heeps is killed.

And you go who the gently caress are these and why the gently caress do I care? That's Kiwami without 0. A blur of Japanese names doing things to other Japanese names and who cares.

0 is an incredible and for everything that happens, relaxed entry into the world that let's you breathe in it before insane world changing things happen.

Friend, I admire your passion and your words have set me on the correct path. I will get 0 and complete it before kiwami 1. I will right this wrong. Thank you.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bombadilillo posted:

So did they change the story of Yakuza when they made it into Yakuza Kiwami or did the original Yakuza basically make no sense / have little emotional impact until Yakuza 0 was made?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They added some cutscenes to flesh out a major character's heel turn.

Also Majima is everywhere now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People saying you can't play kiwami without 0 are kind of overselling it, but if you have the option of playing 0 first it's definitely the smart choice.

You get more out of going 0 - Kiwami than the other way around, even discounting the little nods towards the later games in the series that 0 has (and don't interfere with enjoying 0 on its own anyway).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Does anyone know what the difference is between Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 and Lego Marvel Avengers?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

So did they change the story of Yakuza when they made it into Yakuza Kiwami or did the original Yakuza basically make no sense / have little emotional impact until Yakuza 0 was made?

Spoilers obviously.

it's just really fast in the original. this is Niskiki. Hes totally your best friend, oh no he hosed up and now hates you. Instead of him being your solid bro for a whole game while being stuck in your shadow and it having actual pathos when those events happen in Kiwami.

Also the Watch Out for Fireballs podcast did the original and said "who's this Majima guy that showed up, I dont get it" which is a literal sin. So.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

beep by grandpa posted:

Does anyone know what the difference is between Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 and Lego Marvel Avengers?

Avengers is literally the plot of Avengers. Marvel Superheroes 2 is a brand new story in a much bigger world with way more characters.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

is there gonna be a lego the last jedi

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Daric posted:

Avengers is literally the plot of Avengers. Marvel Superheroes 2 is a brand new story in a much bigger world with way more characters.

AAight, I played Marvel Super Heroes 1 a bunch of years ago and it ruled and I'm looking for something to play with my GF, I think I'm gonna go with Marvel Superheroes 2 unless someone says otherwise. Ahhh but then again she loves the MCU so maybe I'll go with Avengers. It probably doesn't even matter. Video games suck. In fact, I'm dumping her so I don't have to make this decision. Thanks LEGOS

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Also, as someone that owns both a PS4 and a Xbox One (neither are the Pro or OneX though) I can see legitimate advantages to both consoles. The PS4 has more and better exclusives from the current console generation but I don’t think you can just dismiss the backwards compatibility and GamePass that Xbox has. I’m playing God of War currently but before that I played all 3 Fable games and Rise of the Tomb Raider and I only paid my $10/month gamepass subscription. Y’all can’t tell me you wouldn’t want the exact same thing on PlayStation so you could play all the older PlayStation games in higher quality on a big tv. I know I do. I never had a PlayStation until the 4 so I’ve missed a ton of games I’d love to go back and play.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

oh yeah that is something i did forget, i'd love to have something like that on ps4 instead of garbage rear end psnow

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah Sony consistently loving up backwards compatibility is excruciating.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah Sony consistently loving up backwards compatibility is excruciating.

Luckily it should just work from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bombadilillo posted:

Spoilers obviously.

it's just really fast in the original. this is Niskiki. Hes totally your best friend, oh no he hosed up and now hates you. Instead of him being your solid bro for a whole game while being stuck in your shadow and it having actual pathos when those events happen in Kiwami.

Also the Watch Out for Fireballs podcast did the original and said "who's this Majima guy that showed up, I dont get it" which is a literal sin. So.

Okay, but in Yakuza 0 you don't actually get that much time to hang out and be bros with Nishiki, so some of that impact is lost. The story in Kiwami still heavily relies on flashing back to poo poo that happens while Kiryu is in prison rather than stuff that you actually got to experience first hand. I think Yakuza 0 probably would have been better had Kiryu and Nishiki basically been doing Yakuza poo poo together but I guess if you want Kiryu to remain a paragon of honor and virtue it wouldn't make much sense for him to be taking orders from a bunch of Tojo scumbags for a whole game. Seriously everyone else in Tojo beyond like, Sera and Kazama are basically just gross dirtbags.