Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

yea, my bad forgot it had oaths as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How viable is the Saheeli Rai combo in Modern? It seems like Kiki-Jiki combos have been around long enough that they're more refined and can be run in two colors. Meanwhile the Saheeli Rai decks that I've seen have a lot of random creatures which is maybe better in certain matchups?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

How viable is the Saheeli Rai combo in Modern? It seems like Kiki-Jiki combos have been around long enough that they're more refined and can be run in two colors. Meanwhile the Saheeli Rai decks that I've seen have a lot of random creatures which is maybe better in certain matchups?

It’s fine, it crushes fair matchups and doesn’t like the unfair ones

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

little munchkin posted:

yea, my bad forgot it had oaths as well

wow I have almost all of this but the piece i'm missing is noble of course.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
this is what I ended up sleeving:

Final: 2-1-1 which with breakers was good enough for 4th place in a 12-person, won 6 packs credit :toot:

Round 1: Jund 2-0

This deck is all foil and the person who plays it has been on (and off) Jund forever, so I expected it to be quite a struggle. Game 1 was very long and grindy but the decisive set of turns was me tapping out for Jace, plus it to play around bolt. Opponent responds with BBE swing but doesn't have the bolt, then the next turn I tick back up to 4 with 6 mana up, cryptic his spell and then play a snapcaster to trade with BBE. It took me a long time to get there but eventually I had enough mana up to play Chandra with Jace still on the board and opponent scooped. Game 2, 2 early Spreading Seas into blood moon mean he never really gets to play magic.

Round 2: 4c Gifts 1-1-1

I'm surprised because on competitive nights which this was (prizes all to top 4) this player almost invariably plays Dredge or a solid tier1 strategy, so playing one of his weird 4c gifts value grindfests catches me off guard. I believe I stole game 1 with a Thing and a planeswalker, lost game 2 to snap/bolt beats, and game 3 we ran out of time with a complicated and nondecisive board. He played a tracker his last turn which might have been good enough except that I had bolt/snap in hand with Anger and Jace in my next few cards.

Round 3: Eternal Command 1-2

This player actually ended up in 1st place overall (3-0-1, there was no 4-0 deck). Game 1 I keep him off cryptic with blood moon and eventually ultimate a Jace, but he had a million cards in hand and he doesn't scoop it up until all of his lines have been wiped out (fair, my board didn't have anything going on besides the jace). Game 2 I think I got smashed by big goyfs or something pretty fast, game 3 is a back and forth grind again that goes to turns but I end up losing to a goyf and a huntmaster IIRC.

Round 4: Infect 2-0

This matchup felt like the most lopsided games I've played in a while. Game 1 I make blood moon after Anger kills heirarch/elf, and he never has mana to do anything again. I slowly tick up a flipped JVP, ultimate it and then proceed to win by beats and mill on the same turn. Game 2, I bring in 2 abrade and the 4th moon, and again the sequence is just removal spells into blood moon into planeswalkers.

All in all the deck seems fun and pretty playable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Nice, glad the Spreading Seas worked out OK. How important did SSG end up being?

Also, what's Eternal Command?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Nice, glad the Spreading Seas worked out OK. How important did SSG end up being?

Also, what's Eternal Command?

Eternal Witness into Cryptic Command bouncing Eternal Witness

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eternal Witness into Cryptic Command bouncing Eternal Witness

Just like RUG midrange or something?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Just like RUG midrange or something?

Yeah but with Aether Vials so you can lock them out on turn 4.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tim Raines IRL posted:

this is what I ended up sleeving:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I slowly tick up a flipped JVP

:confused:

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s fine, it crushes fair matchups and doesn’t like the unfair ones

^ Re: the Saheeli Evolution deck

I don’t think the above is really true, decks like Jeskai and Jund are quite hard, especially games 2 and 3 as you don’t gain as much after board as they do (tutor decks like this want “bullets” to knock out strategies, which ehh please let me know when you find the Jund/Jeskai bullet - I’m interested).
Aggro decks are good matchups since they are light on interaction, you block well, and you often can combo faster than they can kill you.

Unfair decks kind of depend; the easier they get hosed by tutorable dudes the better, also, the more interaction they can play, the worse. If your manadorks and Cobras are likely to live, you can race just about anything (T2 is extremely unlikely but T3 is quite easy if you’re not worried about interaction).

Source: just top 8d SCG Modern classic with the deck. Mostly stock list, but played a Shalai which was *fantastic*.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I own Mox Diamonds. Who wants to buy an island somewhere?

Seriously, Magic is so hosed up.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DurdleDuck posted:

^ Re: the Saheeli Evolution deck

I don’t think the above is really true, decks like Jeskai and Jund are quite hard, especially games 2 and 3 as you don’t gain as much after board as they do (tutor decks like this want “bullets” to knock out strategies, which ehh please let me know when you find the Jund/Jeskai bullet - I’m interested).;;

just make sure to never turn it into a creature vs. jeskai

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

little munchkin posted:

just make sure to never turn it into a creature vs. jeskai

Hm, while black sadly is the only color not in the deck, that does sound like an interesting one. For now I’ve been trying to make their lives just difficult enough with Blood Moon/Magus that I can get them with mediocre beats or force through the combo, to moderate success. I managed to beat both Jund and Jeskai yesterday, for example.

Here’s what I played:
http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/120481

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I might have to take a flier on that deck because I already have everything in it that's expensive. Also it's running two of my favorite cards from recent sets that I wish were better than they actually are (Eldritch Evolution and Renegade Rallier).

How's its game against Tron? There's been a pretty strong contingent of G and U Tron decks locally as of late.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013
Tron is historically good against GW value creature decks, but this deck is quite a bit faster to combo than most of them. Evolving into Magus and Blood Moons out of the board help slow them down while you assemble your combo as well, and they generally don’t have much to interact with the combo itself. It’s not my favorite matchup, but it feels more winnable than when playing a random Company deck. The more Walking Ballistas they have, the harder it gets. Definitely board in Stony Silence.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
After 3 years, finally managed to collect a playset of revised duals. Now for p9 I guess?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheAsterite posted:

After 3 years, finally managed to collect a playset of revised duals. Now for p9 I guess?

Woah didnt expect to see you on SA.

:hfive:

After duals I moved and picked up a Tabernacle dont buy one now; and since I dont really have any interest in Vintage; I pretty much dont collect new stuff anymore. It's kinda boring :(

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sell it all.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Walked posted:

Woah didnt expect to see you on SA.

:hfive:

After duals I moved and picked up a Tabernacle dont buy one now; and since I dont really have any interest in Vintage; I pretty much dont collect new stuff anymore. It's kinda boring :(

Which store do you play at?

The collector in me wants to build a Paradoxiacal Outcome vintage deck as an excuse to collect power. Realistically I'd only be able to play it a couple times a year at GPs near me.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheAsterite posted:

The collector in me wants to build a Paradoxiacal Outcome vintage deck as an excuse to collect power. Realistically I'd only be able to play it a couple times a year at GPs near me.

Third Eye; I run the AGS Discord and see you idling there (as do I) most of the time. I want to get up to MTGFirst more often; but Thursdays can be tricky

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheAsterite posted:

my friend, have you heard the good news about Landstill, which allows you to collect bitchin' Winter Mishra's Factories, which are now two hundred dollars a piece

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Walked posted:

Third Eye; I run the AGS Discord and see you idling there (as do I) most of the time. I want to get up to MTGFirst more often; but Thursdays can be tricky

Gotcha :)

I haven't been to Third Eye as much since I moved. Curio Caverns is just way closer to me and work now.

Edit: Still have store credit there I need to spend there. Any type of popular older card gets bought up really quick at that store.

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 30, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I cut something to find room for singleton JVP. I think I'm only running 2 SSG now, but I want to be back at 3.

I have been looking through cards trying to make cats playable in modern. It's definitely not, but Qasali Ambusher is a card I did not know existed, which made me say "huh that's sort of interesting and ought to be a weird meta-call sideboard card in SOMETHING"

"Play a thing for free, eat one of your attacking spirits, crack back at lilly?"

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 30, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There has to be a way to make Qasali Ambusher go infinite if your opponent attacks

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

There has to be a way to make Qasali Ambusher go infinite if your opponent attacks

tidespout tyrant and... something else that either triggers it twice or storming your opponent out

e: nvm i hadn't read tidespout in a while, that doesn't work

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 30, 2018

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cloudstone Curio and another Qasali Ambusher

Oketra's Monument for a few tokens :v:

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Curio, two Ambushers, and Impact Tremors for a kill or a soul sister for infinite life...

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheAsterite posted:

Are you interested in an artist signed mox jet?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

myDad posted:

Cloudstone Curio and another Qasali Ambusher

Oketra's Monument for a few tokens :v:

Oh wow, I thought it was a triggered ability, but that definitely says "if", not "when".

- Flash in an Ambusher during your opponent's combat step.
- Curio triggers
- In response to Curio trigger, flash in the second Ambusher and bounce the first Ambusher
- Curio triggers
- Repeat ad infinitum
- I dunno, anything that triggers on an ETB. Cathar's Crusade? Any of the creatures that get a +1/+1 token?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mezzanon posted:

Serious post would you be interested in maybe working out a trade?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

In a month or 2. Need to save up a little more, but yeah, I'd be interested. What condition?

Edit: Quote

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 1, 2018

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

TheAsterite posted:

In a month or 2. Need to save up a little more, but yeah, I'd be interested. What condition?

I think you've got the wrong guy - I was asking Mezz if he would want to trade his signed jet to me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

how many united states dollars

it's my last mox

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

I'll give you 4 promo treasure hunts

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
So the Eternal Durdles podcast is pretty average, but they do point out some pretty fun ideas behind Legacy Wizard Tribal, thanks to Naban, Dean of Iteration

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2018/04/dominaria-legacy-picks/

Look at all these good good wizards!

Cursecatcher
Silvergill Adept
Venser, Shaper Savant
Vendilion Clique
Meddling Mage
Reflector Mage
Master of Waves
Vedalken Aethermage
Sage of Fables
Sower of Temptation
Voidmage Prodigy
Patron Wizard
Like a dozen different "when this ETB bounce a thing" dudes

Throw in Aether Vial and a bunch of lands including Cavern of Souls and Karakas, and you've got yourself a deck baby!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The March Hare posted:

TheAsterite posted:

Edit: Quote

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

how many united states dollars

it's my last mox

PM me with offers. I can take more pics when I get home from work tonight.

GoutPatrol posted:

I'll give you 4 promo treasure hunts

Signed?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Why did GB Tron go away? as far as i can tell people dropped a bunch of cool and good removal for... maindeck relics and a pile of forests?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Why did GB Tron go away? as far as i can tell people dropped a bunch of cool and good removal for... maindeck relics and a pile of forests?

Field of Ruin mainly, but increased Ghost Quarter presence probably contributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I suspect Relics and not taking damage from your mana helps when the enemies are Champion of the Parish and Hollow One instead of Death's Shadow and Thought-Knot Seer.

E: Also it's Green Tron so there's probably not much of a difference honestly