Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

But the thing I really like about tanking is making red numbers smaller more than making orange numbers bigger.

hosed up if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
One last try on a new page, can anyone in tpt ask in /fc if someone has me (Vielle Terrechant) in their friends list for https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/callback/ ?

Also, yes, pretty princess dressup is unironically the true endgame, followed closely by interior design

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Chaeden posted:

the white mage who only has medica 2 on their bar(....literally had a healer say they wouldn't do any dps and fought for doing just that. They proceeded to ONLY cast Medica 2 the entire fight.

Yuck. Like the 70 DRK I saw yesterday who didn’t use Darkside. Some people don’t even read tooltips.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Chaeden posted:

the white mage who only has medica 2 on their bar(....literally had a healer say they wouldn't do any dps and fought for doing just that.

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I've seen (and Mana Shifted) a lot of WHM's that keep Medica 2 rolling in EXDR lately. It's like 'huh, this whm needs as much mana shifting as someone who spams holy and they're barely spamming holy, what gives?' -clicks medica 2 buff off at the start of every boss fight.-

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Beefeater posted:

This is the most important thing to consider.

There doesn't appear to be a weapon for my gal in the Ironworks set (currently leveling as a Samurai). :qq: I suppose I can buy stuff for Monk or something.

EDIT: or this wiki is not updated. I just googled "Ironworks samurai" and a sword came up, so methinks I'll get one.

It's also a top tier looking sword.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Beefeater posted:

This is the most important thing to consider.

Thankfully glamour prisms are a thing, so you can make gear look however the gently caress you want.

But actually the ironworks gear is cool and good and I wish we'd get another armor set that was as glowy as it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Everyone who I've seen do more than double-pull Bardam's has led to a wipe. 100% of the time. The entire instance is practically designed to be double-pulled and the giant stretches before the Moon and Sun gates seem explicitly designed to kill tanks who try to chain pull because mobs are way better at killing you on a run than a healer is keeping you from dying. On the run.

Normal-pulling gets hairy if they're augmented Shire and i260 STR accessory-ing it too :catstare:

I've healed through a superhero pull at the start of Bardam's, and chain-pulling antics later on, so it's not impossible even with an idiot/undergeared tank. The only giant pull I've never managed to pull off is the one between the first and second bosses in Ala Mhigo, and even goon tanks usually don't try to pull that one off.

With that said, it's a pain in the rear end and your average pub healer is probably going to let you die then complain afterwards. People probably overemphasize how important BIG PULLS are to be honest, especially in parties that don't have a BLM or SMN; the loss of healer damage probably offsets the extra AoE damage in a lot of cases.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The giant Ala Mhigo post-Scorpion pull (which us pro speedrunners call the "Gorilla Pull") depends a lot more on who's tanking than who's healing, honestly. If your tank has enough cooldowns left after Scorpion to get and sustain multiple layers of mitigation until everything's dead, you're good. If they don't, just do a regular pull so that the healer isn't having an aneurysm. It'll probably go faster considering they'll be able to actually contribute DPS on a regular pull, too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah, I've done that entire stretch without dying a few times.

Hilariously enough it felt slower than just doing two double-pulls though. Even with BLM and pre-nerf SMN :v:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I don't raid on BLM but could Siren during O6S also give an extra Flare?

Well it does, but then you could just do your entire rotation again instead and end that with a Flare.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's the correct order to fight all the summoned mobs in the Paladin level 50 quest "Keeping the Oath?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't remember that quest too well. It's the one where you and Beard Daddy fight the assassins, right?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I just started the paladin quests and I'm unsure why the guy stole oathkeeper. I'm hoping it wasn't just to be a dick.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chaeden posted:

Tanking still causes me anxiety despite the fact that in almost every dungeon more burden is placed on the DPS and Healer.....but I do the 'gently caress it, I'll do it myself' with healer. I never WANTED to play healer. I started playing as Summoner then Samurai. I QUITE enjoyed Bard......then I played Scholar and have been playing it forever because I get in faster that way AND I can solo carry parties. I've had to and have managed to Solo heal phantom train because we had a afk healer, I've ressed 2 whole parties to prevent a wipe to Hashmal......I can't do this on the DPS I have right now(if I level Redmage maybe but I don't particularly enjoy them right now) and as a tank I'd still have to rely on not getting the white mage who only has medica 2 on their bar(....literally had a healer say they wouldn't do any dps and fought for doing just that. They proceeded to ONLY cast Medica 2 the entire fight. I don't care if you are going to only heal, its annoying and will make the fight last longer but I can make up for the damage loss.....assuming they are doing their drat job and can at least do the easy part of their job effectively. I was playing scholar and despite having a white mage only healing I still out healed the fucker and my dps dropped from its normal level due to how much I had to pick up the slack on the healing front.....not to mention the fucker never cast raise either.) so I end up swapping to healer for content just because I can't trust 80% of the drat healers that join my parties, and I play extra defensively as tank because I just don't trust them....or the friend I have that sometimes plays healer for me......(You only die in the middle of your healer saying 'you're fi-' so many times before you stop trusting them.)

What kind of white mage doesn't go for the amazing regen + holy combo first chance he gets?

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 1, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I just started the paladin quests and I'm unsure why the guy stole oathkeeper. I'm hoping it wasn't just to be a dick.

Strap yourself in. :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's the correct order to fight all the summoned mobs in the Paladin level 50 quest "Keeping the Oath?"

I can't remember it but apparently it's challenging enough to spawn several topics across the internet, eg. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/148546-Keeping-the-Oath

In most instanced big fights you start with a bunch of enemies attacking your NPC friends and one or two guys attacking you, kill the latter (unless they're a HP sponge whose health bar barely moves if you attack it, leave it for later or for your NPCs) then help the named NPCs kill whatever they're fighting. If they call out a specific enemy, kill it ASAP (mage mobs in some GLD/PLD quests, void gates in BLM quests, those portal things in NIN quests, etc.) then go back to helping your NPC friends.

Usually when I failed duties it was because I didn't pay attention and had some high priority thing spawn and my NPCs (or rarely: I) died while I was busy plinking away at some boss mob with a ton of health.

That and attempting certain level 60 quests undergeared. The SAM one especially was brutal in level 142 or so gear from Google Library :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dunno if it's been changed at all since 4.0 released but I remember the monk 70 quest being probably the worst solo instance I've ever run. Huge number of targets that are all wearing the same outfit, a boss laser focused on you that will wreck your poo poo if you stop paying attention for half a second, ally npcs too busy with their own fights to heal you, and then there's an enemy reinforcement wave that includes a healer that will heal the boss if you don't immediately kill it (the healer is standing behind a dozen or so other guys who look exactly the same).

Man that quest was a lot of bullshit in Castrum Abania gear.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

orcane posted:

I can't remember it but apparently it's challenging enough to spawn several topics across the internet, eg. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/148546-Keeping-the-Oath

In most instanced big fights you start with a bunch of enemies attacking your NPC friends and one or two guys attacking you, kill the latter (unless they're a HP sponge whose health bar barely moves if you attack it, leave it for later or for your NPCs) then help the named NPCs kill whatever they're fighting. If they call out a specific enemy, kill it ASAP (mage mobs in some GLD/PLD quests, void gates in BLM quests, those portal things in NIN quests, etc.) then go back to helping your NPC friends.

Usually when I failed duties it was because I didn't pay attention and had some high priority thing spawn and my NPCs (or rarely: I) died while I was busy plinking away at some boss mob with a ton of health.

That and attempting certain level 60 quests undergeared. The SAM one especially was brutal in level 142 or so gear from Google Library :v:
I've just found with the healer and DPS duties that there's often a pretty specific sequence in which you need to kill stuff, and there's a ton of enemies in this one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I dunno if it's been changed at all since 4.0 released but I remember the monk 70 quest being probably the worst solo instance I've ever run. Huge number of targets that are all wearing the same outfit, a boss laser focused on you that will wreck your poo poo if you stop paying attention for half a second, ally npcs too busy with their own fights to heal you, and then there's an enemy reinforcement wave that includes a healer that will heal the boss if you don't immediately kill it (the healer is standing behind a dozen or so other guys who look exactly the same).

Man that quest was a lot of bullshit in Castrum Abania gear.

Sounds kind of like the Level 60 Quest.

But yes, I absolutely hate when the characters are all "Focus on the one Healing" when everyone is wearing the same loving outfit and every faction in the game has a different name for their Healers.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At least the level 60 quest lets you go Super Saiyan.

In hindsight there's so many dudes in the 70 quest that turning on Bloodbath and charging into the fray to spam AoEs probably would have been a viable healing method as long as you don't rip adds away from your allies.

Oh yeah that was the other thing. So many targets that they won't all fit into the enmity list so the first few tries I never even noticed there was a healer and thought the boss had some bullshit self-heal mechanic.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've just found with the healer and DPS duties that there's often a pretty specific sequence in which you need to kill stuff, and there's a ton of enemies in this one.

I've taken Paladin to 70 and the way I handle duties is to slap a dot on the big damage sponge as often as I can while handing the three waves of adds. Healers first, casters/archers second, and then melee/the damage sponge. As a tank/Paladin you will be pretty hard to kill (especially if you have the ironworks gear) but any NPC's you have will absolutely get wrecked if you try to just focus the damage sponge.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I just wanted to remind goons that, in this time of waiting for new content, Palace of the Dead still exists and if you've not done a floor 200 run yet, you should.

Its interesting content. In a good way. Its certainly as memorable to me as savage raiding has been.

So consider this my shilling of POTD. If you're looking for something to do before the next patch comes and POTD falls off the map.

(plus you can get vanity stuff and maybe you'll luck out like me and get 15 million by selling a horse. :ssh:)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I sure would like to get a horse sometime this century. :argh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thyrork posted:

So consider this my shilling of POTD. If you're looking for something to do before the next patch comes and POTD falls off the map.

Apparently Heaven-on-High is just going to be 61-70, so PotD will still have relevance for 1-60 levelling.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you want to level at like a twentieth of the speed of squad dungeons I guess.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

If you want to level at like a twentieth of the speed of squad dungeons I guess.

Yeah, PotD isn’t relevant leveling content any more, but it’s perfect for some bored level 70s suffering from patch lull.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
PotD is less fun now that a lot of classes don't feel compete at level 60, but it's still okay. Definatelye agree getting to floor 200 is memorable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, PotD isn’t relevant leveling content any more, but it’s perfect for some bored level 70s suffering from patch lull.

Did something change or is it just a matter of squadron dungeons giving DPS a better path?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My secret shame - I haven't done PotD yet, not even once. But I'd like to try it, especially with HoH dropping in a few weeks (and yeah I'll eventually have to go after those cheevos). Are there any good general guides out there for it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

My secret shame - I haven't done PotD yet, not even once. But I'd like to try it, especially with HoH dropping in a few weeks (and yeah I'll eventually have to go after those cheevos). Are there any good general guides out there for it?

Go in solo a few times to figure out what the various pomanders do, if you’re worried about embarrassing yourself. I wouldn’t worry - you’ll likely get three other folks who completely ignore poms.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Wish it'd said anywhere that I can only get the choco barding for the first rank 10 skill tree I pick. Would have saved me a bunch of allied seals and I'd have had whm instead of drg :mad:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kitfox88 posted:

Wish it'd said anywhere that I can only get the choco barding for the first rank 10 skill tree I pick. Would have saved me a bunch of allied seals and I'd have had whm instead of drg :mad:

You can get all three once you cap each branch out. I have a level 20 bird and I'll routinely put on whm head, drg body, and tank feet or some oddball combo.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

"We are the luftwaifu." - Some WoW playing goon.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I cannot stand doing squad dungeons on anything but tanks. Thankfully i was 60 in everything before SB hit and I'm almost 70 in everything now.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 1, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I had no issues with the MNK 70 quest. Strangely enough the only ones I remember getting low on were the PLD one (lots of AoE's to dodge) and the one part in the DRK quest where there's like, a million dudes.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But yes, I absolutely hate when the characters are all "Focus on the one Healing" when everyone is wearing the same loving outfit and every faction in the game has a different name for their Healers.

Spoiler: kill the one with the CNJ cane :ssh:

I can't remember if there are any healer NPC's that are playable races that aren't CNJ based.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

AFAIK you can get the others, but you have to rank your chocobo up past 10 to max multiple trees at once.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

IIRC you get enough skill pints at rank 16 for a second barding, and then enough for the third exactly at 20.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I decided to try to overmeld some gathering gear today... it did not go well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I don't think there is any part of this game worse than when O7S starts the missile poo poo during Air Force. I just hold my breath and pray every time. It's so loving mean. I swore I was gonna eat wall or the side of a hitbox here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I don't think there is any part of this game worse than when O7S starts the missile poo poo during Air Force. I just hold my breath and pray every time. It's so loving mean. I swore I was gonna eat wall or the side of a hitbox here.

I just keep hitting guardian from a safe spot until the path is clear. The planes don't do their aoe poo poo until bomb deployment happens.