Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Which were then traced over as the Atlas in battletech, yes.

I thought you were crazy but the TRO: 3025 Atlas is clearly in the same pose as the Scopedog art. Not very many shared lines but the pose must have been used as a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

It's only really the case with the original, lovely art.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's only really the case with the original, lovely art.

Yeah it only just then clicked into place.

Thankfully we've come a long way:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I just want to reiterate that the original battletech art is comically bad, just the worst

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm just amused that the Scopedog was used as the initial art for the toughest mech in the setting.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
My favorite thing about lovely old Battletech art is that Studio Nue got contracted to do the art for the Japanese sourcebook. As a result, we get to see their redesign of FASA's lovely redesign of the VF-1 Valkyrie, which was originally a Studio Nue design to begin with.

To:

And then:

You can see the other Studio Nue battletech designs here, they put more thought into the Macross-derived unseens than FASA ever did.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I know Noin/Wing hasn't been mentioned in a few weeks, but I was just reminded that in the climax of Wing Noin not only fails to even try and stop Zechs from destroying a ship her allies and ostensible friends are on but that she later decides to go with him and when she joins him says that she won't try and stop him but just wants to be by his side in a really dispirited voice, betraying basically everything she did in the series up to that point just so that she can be Zechs' doormat. I remembered that her introduction made her seem weirdly obsessive, but I'd forgotten about that part in the finale and that's just sad. Especially that Quatre seems to know what's happening and think letting her go to do it is a good thing. I really don't understand why people find Noin such a great character. Like, I'd understand if the show was building her up to a regressive end and that played in to the overall themes or arc of her character or something, but I don't recall her having one at all and in Endless Waltz all that is ignored to act like her and Zechs are a nice couple rather than her being majorly dependent on him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
She doesn't start actively killing people in that battle so she's still a much better person than Quatre.

Noin spends all of Wing trying to fulfil Zechs wishes. Taking care of the Gundam pilots he fetishises and starting up a military unit in Relena's little pacifist nation is all part of that, she never really understands what she's doing beyond wanting senpai to notice her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

3 posted:

My favorite thing about lovely old Battletech art is that Studio Nue got contracted to do the art for the Japanese sourcebook. As a result, we get to see their redesign of FASA's lovely redesign of the VF-1 Valkyrie, which was originally a Studio Nue design to begin with.

To:

And then:

You can see the other Studio Nue battletech designs here, they put more thought into the Macross-derived unseens than FASA ever did.

The Studio Nue Battletech designs are really loving cool, but the slick, professional aesthetic with all the curved surfaces and rounded edges doesn't really fit with the slow, ponderous, super crunchy and ramshackle feeling of the setting. Their art is way better as art and as designs than any of the early Battletech art but my old Battletech player senses still feel like fat metal babies and chunky dudes fit the setting more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Which were then traced over as the Atlas in battletech, yes.

Yup. Thankfully the FD redesign makes it look like its own, hulking beast of a robot.

But the original lineart is pretty obviously a silhouette kludge of the scopedog when you line up the art side by side.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

It’s really good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, all this talk has gotten me to try to knuckle down on F91 again, and yeah. What a mess.

It's also impressive how poor a showing the Federation puts up. You're supposed to wait at least an hour into a crisis before making active plans to use civilians as human shields. It's basic common courtesy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
F91 should have been a few OVAs or something. Give events some breathing room.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

So, all this talk has gotten me to try to knuckle down on F91 again, and yeah. What a mess.

It's also impressive how poor a showing the Federation puts up. You're supposed to wait at least an hour into a crisis before making active plans to use civilians as human shields. It's basic common courtesy.

The Federation has a lot of experience in giving up by that point. They have it down to a science.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I still hold out hope that they decide to do something animated in that time period. While some of the side story comics set around the UC 0100 timeframe are good, for the most part the area is interesting concepts and untapped potential with mostly bungled execution.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

We'll probably get animated Crossbone at some point, for better or worse, especially since they're already tapping into wells like Hathaway's Flash.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If I remember right, they made plans not knowing if they'd have OVAs, a full series, or a movie. Which lead to, well, the movie we got.

It's interesting how a lot of Tomino Gundam series have one or two moments early on that set up a character, really good economy on display, but here, the first we get of Seabook... really doesn't do much to establish him. I think it was trying to give us a relationship between him and Cecily, but it didn't really feel much like their later interactions. And man there was a lot in the movie that didn't go anywhere. It didn't just have too little time for everything it did. It felt like it spent a lot of the time it did have on tangents that didn't pay off.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

If I remember right, they made plans not knowing if they'd have OVAs, a full series, or a movie. Which lead to, well, the movie we got.

That's the story I've always heard, yeah. Or that Tomino was originally promised a series and planned accordingly, but for some reason it was cut down to a movie, with a deadline way too short to give him time to retool the story well enough.

Not sure how much of that is true, but the final product sure makes it feel true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

That's the story I've always heard, yeah. Or that Tomino was originally promised a series and planned accordingly, but for some reason it was cut down to a movie, with a deadline way too short to give him time to retool the story well enough.

Not sure how much of that is true, but the final product sure makes it feel true.

Here’s the full story - chiasaur is right.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

We'll probably get animated Crossbone at some point, for better or worse, especially since they're already tapping into wells like Hathaway's Flash.

That'd be really cool because it'd allow maybe a competent artist to do Crossbone, thus fixing its main flaw, and because at this point I've accepted Ghost and onwards will never be translated but an anime would actually get subs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stole this from Reddit.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Raxivace posted:

Even without knowing the details of the UC NexT 0100 project, I'd say Crossbone stands a better chance than most mangas or novels of getting animated. Like Hathaway's Flash, it's a Tomino joint.

I would not be shocked to see Char's Deleted Affair get the The Origin treatment though. Beyond that you've got poo poo like Johnny Ridden collecting gunpla or video game adaptations with names like We're Feddie Hooligans.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Amuro, Char's neo zeon uniform is stylish as gently caress, you are clearly in the wrong here :colbert:.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sure, if your aim is took like a circus ringmaster

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Which then got broken up into a 3-episode OVA for TV broadcast (this is where the "The Time I'm Seeing You" song comes from). F91 has had a weird lifespan, when you look at it. Having its release format juggled around the office for a while, then getting a movie the always feels very compressed and unfinished, then getting a second release on TV, then finally being relegated to the shelf in the back room (alongside everything else in the late UC) so Sunrise could milk the early to mid-UC dry.

Taintrunner posted:

Super Robot Wars is not afraid to dunk on characters when the opportunity arises (see: Super Robot Wars V dunking on Athrun for being a babe magnet).

It also lets you do things like this.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm still kinda amazed that we can get SRW games in english now. I remember playing Alpha 3 a over a decade ago and thinking these games would never, ever get translate.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/56_usan/status/991331162608955392?s=19

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

What the gently caress did I just watch? Ever increasing combos? Is that a player character in Crossbone? I would love to have an official release of something like that here in the US.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SRW V and X have fine to good English TLs, minus some issues here and there with SR points and stuff. You just gotta buy from an import shop.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch? Ever increasing combos? Is that a player character in Crossbone? I would love to have an official release of something like that here in the US.

That's Klim Nick in the Crossbones. He's a genius, you know.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GMsy Danger.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Nope. That's Klim Nick from G-Reco. SRW has always lets characters (usually, the real robots like Gundam) from similar timelines pilot other machines from outside their native series. Since G-Reco is connected to the Universal Century timeline, Klim can get access to stuff like the Gundam X1 Full Cloth (that's the machine in the video). Admittedly, there are limits; if someone doesn't have a Newtype or Cyber Newtype skill, they cannot use stuff like Nu Gundam's fin funnels or Zeta Gundam's biosensor shenanigans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 1, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AradoBalanga posted:

Nope. That's Klim Nick from G-Reco. SRW has always lets characters (usually, the real robots like Gundam) from similar timelines pilot other machines from outside their native series. Since G-Reco is connected to the Universal Century timeline, Klim can get access to stuff like the Gundam X1 Full Cloth (that's the machine in the video). Admittedly, there are limits; if someone doesn't have a Newtype or Cyber Newtype skill, they cannot use stuff like Nu Gundam's fin funnels or Zeta Gundam's biosensor shenanigans.

gently caress I have a vacation coming up and I have this game coming to me on Vita I'm so pumped I can finally play this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A goon was on the translation team.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HitTheTargets posted:

Even without knowing the details of the UC NexT 0100 project, I'd say Crossbone stands a better chance than most mangas or novels of getting animated. Like Hathaway's Flash, it's a Tomino joint.

Tomino being the writer of Crossbone has been a persistent note for years but beyond his name being on the front of the volume I don't buy it personally, since nothing about it really seems in line with the story, characters, tone etc. of F91 which Tomino would presumably want to continue or even particularly Tomino in some ways. And every Gundam manga has Tomino's name attributed on the front. It's basically a franchise creator credit thing. Crossbone's credit seems no different in that regard, but it's the one work that people seem to constantly talk about him being involved in in some way.

HitTheTargets posted:

I would not be shocked to see Char's Deleted Affair get the The Origin treatment though. Beyond that you've got poo poo like Johnny Ridden collecting gunpla or video game adaptations with names like We're Feddie Hooligans.

I haven't read it, but I hope not, because Char's Deleted Affair sounds all kinds of stupid. I mostly just hate it though because it seems to be positing that Char and Haman were so bitter because Haman killed someone Char loved and if she'd really done that then Char would be much more personally invested in killing her, while the actual relationship they have in Zeta seems less personal than that and more ideological. It seems like 0083, and inventing a needlessly dramatic backstory for something the original shows involved already cover adequately.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wouldn't mind watching a Return of Johnny Ridden thing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to see more new stuff instead of adaptations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd like to see more new stuff instead of adaptations.

In another franchise I'd agree but there's a lot of stuff in Gundam that is genuinely hard to get and it becomes far easier to get in the international market if it becomes an anime. Hathaway's Flash seems like the most obvious example of that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm also glad for adaptations because it means we're more likely to get new kits that way. Like there was no way we were gonna get an MG FA Gundam without Thunderbolt getting OVAs, and I'm hoping that we get at least a RE/100 Xi and Penelope from the Hathaway's Flash adaptation.