Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ape Fist posted:

Today at a company meeting: All future development hires will be from India.

Goodie.

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Senior management is fully aware of the absolute dogshit that offshoring has brought about. We're months behind on a major project for a Government client and it's largely in part due to our Indian office literally sitting on their hands and doing loving nothing. I have 3 outstanding issues in my user-stories right now that require back-end fixes for bugs I was assigned like 2 weeks ago. I had to go to my project Manager on Friday and sit down with him and explain why poo poo has been sitting in my VSTS list for loving ages and it looks like I'm not loving doing anything. This is only going to get loving worse.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It must be awfully expensive to have you sit around doing nothing time to hire someone cheaper to do nothing

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ape Fist posted:

Senior management is fully aware of the absolute dogshit that offshoring has brought about. We're months behind on a major project for a Government client and it's largely in part due to our Indian office literally sitting on their hands and doing loving nothing. I have 3 outstanding issues in my user-stories right now that require back-end fixes for bugs I was assigned like 2 weeks ago. I had to go to my project Manager on Friday and sit down with him and explain why poo poo has been sitting in my VSTS list for loving ages and it looks like I'm not loving doing anything. This is only going to get loving worse.

But can India devs work on gov projects? I thought that was a no-no.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Virigoth posted:

But can India devs work on gov projects? I thought that was a no-no.
If it's U//FOUO or below level work, it's perfectly fine. Furthermore, as engineering costs and inversely proportional outcomes for engineering spending have been incurred by a lot of US federal agencies, they've been forced to allow contractors to outsource non-critical aspects of systems in order to reduce costs. It's mostly been a race to the bottom in terms of enterprise level work (read: having entirely to do with the overhead of processes rather than the difficulty of the work in itself) for several years at least now so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a bunch of former Soviet Union countries working on US federal government code indirectly now. Because US DoD at least now presumes that a system is compromised by default in its security model, it makes it easier to get away with such flagrant labor supply chain compromises.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

If it's U//FOUO or below level work, it's perfectly fine. Furthermore, as engineering costs and inversely proportional outcomes for engineering spending have been incurred by a lot of US federal agencies, they've been forced to allow contractors to outsource non-critical aspects of systems in order to reduce costs. It's mostly been a race to the bottom in terms of enterprise level work (read: having entirely to do with the overhead of processes rather than the difficulty of the work in itself) for several years at least now so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a bunch of former Soviet Union countries working on US federal government code indirectly now. Because US DoD at least now presumes that a system is compromised by default in its security model, it makes it easier to get away with such flagrant labor supply chain compromises.

Sounds like working as a DoD auditor could be a pretty sweet contract gig.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Politics determines whether you are allowed to report anyone so possibly not.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ape Fist posted:

I mean, it might be different where you work, but generally, if I'm dependent on another team for something, I'll un-stick the user story by learning their component, making the change I need, and throwing a review.

The benefits of doing this are:

a) It's a great way to learn new technologies (or ancient, bizarre ones) and make yourself more marketable while getting paid for it.
b) People are not going to say no if you do their work for them.
c) You learn more about the system and will be able to troubleshoot and triage bugs more easily.

Like if you're dealing with say, binaries provided by a third party, there may be limits in what you can do - but so long as your back end developers are checking in source code that you can read, it'll look a lot better to say something like "yeah, it looks like a problem in the back end. I made a task for the back end developers but they've been slow, so I'm trying to learn the back end well enough to fix the problem myself and send a review."

Now if you're in a place where you're like, flat out not allowed to just go into someone's project and open a PR, then that is some weird poo poo (it may be justified in isolated instances, I don't know). There are also places where the instructions for doing a build aren't written down or are fifty pages long, and it takes a week to set up your dev environment and half the time it doesn't work - in those cases, you should relax and stop worrying about your individual contribution because the project is hosed anyway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So do extra work for free? gently caress that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

It's not extra work if you're not staying more than 8h. Learning about other systems is Good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

It's not extra work if you're not staying more than 8h. Learning about other systems is Good

You will be expected to do the work of your coworkers from now on without extra pay or compensation.

It’s a bad idea. Feel free to look at the code and learn it yourself, but do not make merge requests.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Nothing like waking up to that feeling you get when your new Head of Product says to prioritize bug fixes, optimizations and tooling improvement above any new feature development until further notice 😍

One of our feature teams is well ahead on their stories so was going to clear up some bugs that's been around for a bit. Got in to work yesterday to find that someone was WFH and pulled a new story from the top of the backlog instead. (That won't be complete this sprint.)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ratbert90 posted:

You will be expected to do the work of your coworkers from now on without extra pay or compensation.

It’s a bad idea. Feel free to look at the code and learn it yourself, but do not make merge requests.

I’ve made 2 minute PRs that would have taken weeks of back and forth between non-tech people on my team and the other relevant team.

I have no problem being expected to unstuck my peers. Their time has value, too. Especially when doing so doesn’t make me work longer.

How do you recommend getting promoted past senior without developing a reputation as one of the people that solves problems and understands systems across the org? There’s a reasonable argument that trying to move beyond the default career position is a sucker’s game I guess.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

ChickenWing posted:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

ratbert90 posted:

That's a pretty toxic attitude. Nobody is talking about taking on extra work. If you spend your time working on fixing features in another team's service, that would just mean that you're spending less time in that sprint working on your own service. In both cases you are contributing to the end result and towards value towards your stakeholder, so why would that be a problem?

Interacting with other people is a good thing! :bignews:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

I'm guessing this is a Pollyanna-esque "I have been burned so many times before that this is basically axiomatic to me"

Sorry you worked at bad places

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, maintaining obtuse workarounds and reimplementations of features that would be a simple few-line change in another team's service is definitely a recipe for productivity and mental health

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ChickenWing posted:

I'm guessing this is a Pollyanna-esque "I have been burned so many times before that this is basically axiomatic to me"

Funnily enough, I’m actually making sure to branch out more and proactively tackle stuff when I would otherwise twiddle my thumbs in my new job. I’m making sure to set down boundaries, of course.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Funnily enough, I’m actually making sure to branch out more and proactively tackle stuff when I would otherwise twiddle my thumbs in my new job. I’m making sure to set down boundaries, of course.

I think this is the right attitude. There's a happy middle ground where you are personally gaining valuable knowledge and skills without sticking your neck out too much and taking on responsibilities of others.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poemdexter posted:

I think this is the right attitude. There's a happy middle ground where you are personally gaining valuable knowledge and skills without sticking your neck out too much and taking on responsibilities of others.

I put up a PR to a Java codebase just now :v:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

I put up a PR to a Java codebase just now :v:

High five! Where I work, it's encouraged to put in issues and sometimes PRs into other projects if it's a bugfix or necessary improvement to continue your own work. This is where it's important for teams to lay out clear contributing guidelines. Stragely enough, that actually happens here because they are more concerned with looking like they are doing the right thing instead of actually writing good software in the first place.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Cross-functional work and talking to each other instead of yelling at another team to go do poo poo is pretty much devops. If you’re saying phrases oftentimes like “not my problem” or “I’m not going to do their work” you’re probably contributing to the problem of teams working against each other rather than with each other. Separation of duties and concerns doesn’t mean you’re supposed to have tunnel vision.

I’m perfectly happy when other people even take the initiative to make pull requests against my repos. If they contribute absolute crap then I’ll just talk to them offline instead of rejecting everything and being a jerk about it publicly in comments.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does anyone else’s productivity drop off after 3~330? I’ve noticed that I’m a lot more tired and get a lot less done after that time of day. It’s almost like all my productivity is front-loaded.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else’s productivity drop off after 3~330? I’ve noticed that I’m a lot more tired and get a lot less done after that time of day. It’s almost like all my productivity is front-loaded.

Nah, just after lunch my productivity is down the drain.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
PM has decided our datePicker module for the project is dogshit. It is, in fairness. One of the other developers developed a new datepicker module, it's better. Now I get the task of replacing all 149 existing instances of the old datepicker module with the new one.

:toot:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Have some days where my productivity is all in the morning and some where it's all late in the day and I'm actually upset when I have to leave because I finally hit a stride.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Probably. Especially the last job I am leaving where the CEO said "You are expected to do the work you are given, and that job responsibilities don't matter when it comes to pay if it's in the same industry. IE: If you hired a guy to do PHP and then asked him to do low level kernel drivers he should get the original salary he negotiated"

This was a discussion based on me being hired as a systems engineer for 80K, and then then doing full stack work without a pay increase at all.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

That's bullshit.

Good on you for leaving.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I'm cognitively best around 8-10 AM, adequate between then and 1 PM, I'm best at communicating between 1 and 3 PM, 3 PM+ I'm useless and usually take a nap, and I do my best head-down work between 10 PM and 2 AM. So the hours I work tend to shift around a lot depending on what I'm responsible for in a given week.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leper khan posted:

I have no problem being expected to unstuck my peers. Their time has value, too. Especially when doing so doesn’t make me work longer.

Like everything else, this has a limit. I had a fun moment early in my career when the other RCG's figured out IM'ing me was faster than looking at the perl docs. Really glad I didn't come to the conclusion that unsticking them was worth breaking concentration twice an hour for something that would've taken them 5 extra minutes!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

Like everything else, this has a limit. I had a fun moment early in my career when the other RCG's figured out IM'ing me was faster than looking at the perl docs. Really glad I didn't come to the conclusion that unsticking them was worth breaking concentration twice an hour for something that would've taken them 5 extra minutes!
Historically, I dealt with this situation by waiting 15-30 minutes to respond to inquiries that could be solved by 5 minutes of Googling.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Ape Fist posted:

PM has decided our datePicker module for the project is dogshit. It is, in fairness. One of the other developers developed a new datepicker module, it's better. Now I get the task of replacing all 149 existing instances of the old datepicker module with the new one.

:toot:

Don't repeat yourself?
This would be a great opportunity to replace them all with a pointer. You are doing that, right?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Probably. Especially the last job I am leaving where the CEO said "You are expected to do the work you are given, and that job responsibilities don't matter when it comes to pay if it's in the same industry. IE: If you hired a guy to do PHP and then asked him to do low level kernel drivers he should get the original salary he negotiated"

This was a discussion based on me being hired as a systems engineer for 80K, and then then doing full stack work without a pay increase at all.

Annnnnnnd there it is. Good on you for getting the gently caress outta there.

Pollyanna posted:

Yes but that's because I leave the office at 4 :sun:

I find I have a long wind-up time - I don't usually start doing real work until after standup (9:30ish) because I know I won't be able to get the flow on. 8-9:15 is for shitposting. Then lunch happens, then post-lunch slacking happens (this has been massively shortened since I realized that you don't get the afternoon slump if you don't overeat at lunch), then I caffeinate appropriately based on how much work I need to get done and from the time that kicks in I go until either it's time to leave and I'm at a natural stop point or I've finished a task and won't be able to get up and running on the next one before quittin' time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

leper khan posted:

How do you recommend getting promoted past senior without developing a reputation as one of the people that solves problems and understands systems across the org? There’s a reasonable argument that trying to move beyond the default career position is a sucker’s game I guess.

Change companies for a promotion, change back after a couple years for another promotion.

Pollyanna posted:

The opposite. I'm most productive from 3-7, which is why I leave at 5 when I'm most productive. It's great for my career and wellbeing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Change companies for a promotion, change back after a couple years for another promotion.

Literally doing this right now lmbo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

b) People are not going to say no if you do their work for them.

This happened once. I submitted a patch to another team because they wrote a web service that only worked if you had a logged-in, interactive user running it. Naturally, we found out about the problem in production when one of the IT guys' passwords expired and needed to be changed while he was on vacation (also he had domain admin, which is a whole other kettle of fish).

The patch entirely consisted of passing a different flag to the service-start Win32 API call.

Six years later, I'm told it's still not fixed, but it did make for one really incredible email thread once I cc'd in my boss and they cc'd their boss. :v:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 4, 2018

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Keetron posted:

Don't repeat yourself?
This would be a great opportunity to replace them all with a pointer. You are doing that, right?

A lot of them have instance specific logic.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CPColin posted:

Customer: "Is it possible to allow admins to make edits, even when the dates they're trying to edit are locked?"
Code: if (!isDateLocked(date) || isAdmin()) { ... }
Me, to other developer: "Hey, it looks like what the customer is asking for is already possible. Any ideas?"
Other developer, direct quote: "Although the code appears to handle the admin case, the database trigger on Foo does not allow anyone (including admins) to modify reservations on locked days. The database trigger was added as a stopgap workaround for code flaws that allowed users to make changes in certain cases. I'm sorry to say that I do not have a good record of the details behind the flaws (just a many-year-old recollection that they did exist)."

He goes on to say how the trigger could be altered to account for an "admin" flag. You know, as opposed to fixing the code and getting rid of the trigger that makes a liar out of it. I honestly don't know how this guy ever got anything done, seeing as he never made any record of what he was doing or what bugs he was encountering.

Edit: The trigger is on the Production database, but is missing on the Test database. :fuckoff:

Finally got around to this task. Started by investigating why the previous guy added the trigger in the first place. Went through every bit of code that created Foo objects. For the places that were doing the admin checks, I added tests to make sure that stuff works. For places that weren't doing admin checks, I verified that the calling code was controllers that had already passed an admin check.

The remaining place is the code that's called when—wait for it—somebody tries to add an event to the schedule. It shows an error that the day is locked, but has already saved the object by that point. The other guy didn't even try the literal most obvious test case possible: trying to schedule an event on a day that was locked.

I'm like six hours deep on this task.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Our client just deployed an untested snapshot to production

This is not going to be a good week for IM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

Our client just deployed an untested snapshot to production

This is not going to be a good week for IM

Sounds like your pipeline is messed up if that can happen.