Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I hate that people lost their jobs, but I have to admit that if that company and IP folds (it wont because you can't kill a cockroach) all the panic that will engulf the krono whales will be delicious.

Givin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I would love to see the IP sold to a real company that can do a real rpg - MMO or otherwise - based on the EQ franchise.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That would be incredible. I would give the benefit of the doubt to literally anything with the EQ name.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Well the medallion grind loving sucks huh

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Eh, on Phinny we all ground it out for like a weekend then we were good. After that it was just some random pickups here and there for those lagging behind. And our guild was casual.

Granted, that was before pick changes, so 1 person could hold open a pick.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I got into PoStorms pretty much 15 minutes after PoP went live. All nameds were up, we got 2 and had 1 stolen. Then yesterday I spent 5 hours at the North camp to only see two spawns during that time, 1 of which was stolen by a Zurdula raid that picked over immediately after spawning. Still 0/2 on medallions. There were probably 3-4 picks open most of the night. I bet this is going to be a lot of fun. My guild is doing Agnarr next Sunday so lets see if I get left behind!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tomahawk posted:

Then yesterday I spent 5 hours at the North camp to only see two spawns during that time

Pretty sure these guys are on set timers - I want to say every 3 hours?

I remember when we did it, we had a google spreadsheet that we tracked poo poo with. So we knew where to be. Every 3 hours would be why you only saw 2 spawns. Once you know the timer, hanging around is pointless.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I think everyone on Agnarr will have more than enough time to get those medallions. :smug:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Givin posted:

I think everyone on Agnarr will have more than enough time to get those medallions. :smug:

But I have to be first! :colbert:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Tomahawk are you Copmagic?

We got 2nd forest giant, beating truc and zurdula in a dps race. We had a desert giant to 12% and got trained then (if you are cop) got it before we could get rezzed =(

Coulda been server first into BoT.. and then left cuz it would only be 3 of us lol

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

FranktheBank posted:

Tomahawk are you Copmagic?

We got 2nd forest giant, beating truc and zurdula in a dps race. We had a desert giant to 12% and got trained then (if you are cop) got it before we could get rezzed =(

Coulda been server first into BoT.. and then left cuz it would only be 3 of us lol

Yeah it me, sup dude

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tomahawk posted:

Yeah it me, sup dude

Haha i was trying to remember if it was your SA name. Not much, we hitting storms next week. TBH, I prefer fighting faceless than most other guilds. Most of the current FE members dont train, they just batphone and you dps race 2-3x your numbers. Which is more fine to me than being trained and having to CR.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

training guilds repeatedly until they give up in frustration is the classic and core EQ experience, how could you not love it?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

xZAOx posted:

I would love to see the IP sold to a real company that can do a real rpg - MMO or otherwise - based on the EQ franchise.

as long as they don't kill the original and keep pumping out content. from what's been posted at least running eq is unlikely to be affected. having a company take it over that wants to make something new as well as this stuff would be great, although i feel like the time when something like eq could work and be successful may have come and gone - so much of it was based around the feeling of community which derived from a lot of things that just weren't fun taken alone.

on another note i was listening to old eq music on a wave of nostalgia. a couple of thoughts on tracks that hit me as i did: firstly, rivervale's music continues to strike me as something you'd only hear in a part of disneyland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18yUriXTFg

secondly, the othmir beach music owns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaUqVbEzgTk. reggae music for otter people who hang out on beaches in freezing cold climates dressed in traditional russian outfits is great. i spent a fair amount of time kiting the wyverns after velious release so i heard it a lot.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Got your grains of salt ready?

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/432318255244247071/440729615804137473/Screenshot_20180501-002118.png

quote:

I was unable to post on the Everquest subreddit.

H1Z1 will get a smaller map as well as a remake of "Z1". The PS4 port is looking good. After that new skins will continue to be released but most of the team will be moved over to Planetside 3.

Just Survive is on its last legs. Several ideas for increasing profits have been floated around but at this point it looks like a sunset is most likely.

Planetside 2 was supposed to be getting new character models and animations in May. A new map and an aircraft carrier are planned for the end of the year.

Planetside 3 is in early development. Other teams will be siphoned into this project next year. This will be a team based battle royal game that combines the building aspect of Fortnite with territory acquisition.

Everquest will have one last expansion. The 20th anniversary will introduce a series of nostalgic raids that tie into complex quests. These quests can be done in order to grant alternate characters powerful scaling weapons.

Everquest 2 will also have one last expansion and eventually a similar series of send-off weapon quests and raids.

Everquest 3 has been back in development for a year and is being rebuilt from the ground up. It aims to compete with Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and to be the first fantasy MMORPG to put an emphasis on team battle royal PvP.

I don't have anything on DCUO.

It was from this post, which has since been deleted: https://www.reddit.com/r/Agnarr/comments/8g5vxy/i_was_laid_off_heres_some_information_you_might/

I also found the post on this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/everquestmemes/photos/a.320126905113049.1073741829.319603508498722/438617173264021/?type=3&theater

So, it doesn't mean the guy wasn't making poo poo up, but at least the entire image isn't a fake. I suspect it's garbage, but fun for the rumor mill.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

lol at a battle royale Everquest

There's no way that's real.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah. It all sounds plausible then at the end takes a hard left turn, heh.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Lol. If EQ3 is actually a thing that they're trying, then they're straight dumb as gently caress and deserve to fail as a company. They've already taken multiple swings at an EQ3 and missed every time. No more money should be thrown down that rabbit hole. EQ revenue should be spent on more EQ expansions until we're all old and dead.

I don't think that's real but it's a good lol.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Agree. The end really threw it. That's not the kind of stuff you develop if you plan to sunset something. It's a neat idea though and I'm sure the EQ1 version of that would be popular.

Then again, Daybreak. I'd believe they would try a crackpot battle royale MMO just because.

I do not know why I'd rather throw money at an EverQuest 3 over Pantheon knowing FULL WELL it's the same blend of poo poo milkshake but I would choose that in a heartbeat if there was a serious effort to put in modern conveniences we take for granted nowadays wrapped up in EverQuest flavor and packaging.

This of course won't happen so long as the IP is held where it is and the 18 year old boy in me can dream.

Still having a good time on Corinav. Our group is only 37. Been chipping away at it. All of our dudes got our DE masks and had 5 TBBs drop as a bonus while camping all that stuff. We even pretty much finished all our class armor quests just because, even though most of it is garbage.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hrm. I posted that thread on the official forums. Pretty much everyone was also agreeing "yeah that seems fake". Then they deleted my thread.

:tinfoil: that means it's real!

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Givin posted:

Agree. The end really threw it. That's not the kind of stuff you develop if you plan to sunset something. It's a neat idea though and I'm sure the EQ1 version of that would be popular.

Then again, Daybreak. I'd believe they would try a crackpot battle royale MMO just because.

I do not know why I'd rather throw money at an EverQuest 3 over Pantheon knowing FULL WELL it's the same blend of poo poo milkshake but I would choose that in a heartbeat if there was a serious effort to put in modern conveniences we take for granted nowadays wrapped up in EverQuest flavor and packaging.

This of course won't happen so long as the IP is held where it is and the 18 year old boy in me can dream.

Still having a good time on Corinav. Our group is only 37. Been chipping away at it. All of our dudes got our DE masks and had 5 TBBs drop as a bonus while camping all that stuff. We even pretty much finished all our class armor quests just because, even though most of it is garbage.

Oh poo poo, what time do you usually play, and are you a full 6? I started a Monk, got to 36, and then stopped. I'd love to play again and get to level cap before Kunark if you've got room for one. Butttttttttt please don't make me pull, Monk pulling is actually horrible in all these zones where the casters just root you and kill you.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Butttttttttt please don't make me pull, Monk pulling is actually horrible

Why does this keep coming up? Monks are the classic pullers, deal with it and use feign death after the spell hits you. Los casters, take the hit, fd. Reroll if pulling is offensive on the only vanilla class capable of pulling risk free.

Use throwing stone on yourself to break root.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

onesixtwo posted:

Why does this keep coming up? Monks are the classic pullers, deal with it and use feign death after the spell hits you. Los casters, take the hit, fd. Reroll if pulling is offensive on the only vanilla class capable of pulling risk free.

Use throwing stone on yourself to break root.

Mostly it's just that I hate having to be one of the only two people in the group remotely paying attention 99% of the time and deeply wish I had just rolled something braindead so I could watch Netflix while I trudged through the incredibly boring and slow grind.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
As a Monk, I don't agree we should pull. Split yes but not pull. We pump out so much damage, why would you take it away from the group. Any gently caress wit can pull but on the flip side you also can be a boss and have mob(s) arriving in camp as the previous pull dies.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Our bard pulls, or I do(SK) Monk just shits damage.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Trying to deal with 35+ manbabies who can't function without GINA working makes me hate that Gima hasn't bothered to put the codebase for it on github or something so other people can fix this poo poo for him.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
It's a shame that eq couldn't think of any other type of cue for the player other than emotes to trek is what is happening.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I tried to get GINA to run tonight but it just crashes on startup. All I wanted was to track personal buffs.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Givin posted:

I tried to get GINA to run tonight but it just crashes on startup. All I wanted was to track personal buffs.

2 options.

1. Change the date of your PC to a double-digit date (ex: 10 May). This will break your ability to view some websites until Gina is fixed or the 10th arrives, then you can revert back to the proper date.
2. Create a .ps1 file with the following code, changing the first line to the path to your log file, right click the file and run as PowerShell and set gina to watch the new file it creates and updates:
code:
$GINA_Log_Path = "C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\Logs\eqlog_you_bristle.txt"

Write-Host "Monitoring ${GINA_Log_Path}..."

#Create a new log file (_Fixed.txt suffix)
$GINA_FixedLog_Path = $GINA_Log_Path + "_Fixed.txt"

#Fix single digit dates, or print line as-is
Get-Content "${GINA_Log_Path}" -last 0 -wait |
foreach {
if ($_  -match "(^\[\w{3}\s\w{3}\s)(\s)(\d.*)") {
    $strLine = $matches[1] + "0" + $matches[3]
    $strLine | Out-File ${GINA_FixedLog_Path} -NoClobber -Append -Encoding ASCII
} Else {
    $_ | Out-File ${GINA_FixedLog_Path} -NoClobber -Append -Encoding ASCII
}
}
Credit to dudes on the EQ forums for making the powershell script. Hopefully Gima gets his head out of his rear end and makes a quick fix, or puts the code base where other people can fix his poo poo since he doesn't care anymore.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hearing monks whining about having to pull is seriously triggering me.

That's your job. Full stop. Pick another class if you don't want to do the skill your entire class was designed for.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Trying to deal with 35+ manbabies who can't function without GINA working makes me hate that Gima hasn't bothered to put the codebase for it on github or something so other people can fix this poo poo for him.

Lol, that poo poo is annoying. GamParse broken too. I assume this is due to the patch that removed Win7 support, and somehow it changed how timestamps are logged, which exposed some bug.

Tai posted:

As a Monk, I don't agree we should pull. Split yes but not pull. We pump out so much damage, why would you take it away from the group. Any gently caress wit can pull but on the flip side you also can be a boss and have mob(s) arriving in camp as the previous pull dies.

Givin posted:

Our bard pulls, or I do(SK) Monk just shits damage.

So your bard is playing lots of regen, does CC, and increases DPS of the entire group. The bard itself isn't a lot of DPS, but adds to the DPS and sustainability of the group significantly (unless you have an enchie there too). Having any member out of the group 90% the time is bad for the group to some degree.

RCarr posted:

Hearing monks whining about having to pull is seriously triggering me.

That's your job. Full stop. Pick another class if you don't want to do the skill your entire class was designed for.

Are you a monk who pulls? I was a monk who pulls (and now I'm a bard who pulls). But no, the monk was not designed for pulling, because pulling and camps were both emergent gameplay that were never designed.

The real reason people complain about pulling? Because the person pulling is 500x more active and doing more work than anyone else. It's an extreme imbalance. If you need to piss or something, the entire exp train stops. And given that a good EQ camp is hours and hours long, you'll obviously need a break. Everyone also complains at you if you go 5 seconds with a mob in camp.

On the plus side, pulling is awesome! It's a lot more fun than standing around. You get to really learn dungeons and explore. But *any* class can pull, especially in the current balance of the game. We never needed to split poo poo on Phinny, and still don't (I can't speak for Live). Splitting is really slow. Easier to just bring it in to camp, and root / mez / charm as needed. Anyone can tag or body pull a mob into camp. But every other class whines hard if asked to share to load sometimes. As fun as pulling is, you still want a break after hours of it.

But the REAL problem? You shouldn't be pulling. You should be ROAMING. Especially with TTK times on TLPs at least. There are no camps in EQ. The whole group should be traveling around absolutely owning a big portion of the zone. The only time you should pull is if there's a high density area right around a corner or something, or if the group as a whole needs an AFK break. Everyone will be more engaged, it's much more fun, you'll get much more exp.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Are you a monk who pulls? I was a monk who pulls (and now I'm a bard who pulls). But no, the monk was not designed for pulling, because pulling and camps were both emergent gameplay that were never designed.

I played one for years yes, as well as a bard. I get that pulling is a ton of work compared to every other job, but you sign up for that when you roll a pulling class. That's just the way it is. Honestly I prefer being overworked, if the alternative is to be bored out of my mind doing nothing but sitting and standing and clicking a nuke once every 30 seconds.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 2, 2018

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Only for bad lazy groups.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Only for bad lazy groups.

This is Everquest. All the groups are bad lazy groups.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

xZAOx posted:

So your bard is playing lots of regen, does CC, and increases DPS of the entire group. The bard itself isn't a lot of DPS, but adds to the DPS and sustainability of the group significantly (unless you have an enchie there too). Having any member out of the group 90% the time is bad for the group to some degree.

He and I switch off depending on whats happening. After he got charm, we always try to keep 3 in camp so he can bounce charm and mez around. I can keep the SK mana decent with shaman pots unless I go ham and he's in camp long enough for mana song to keep the druid/cleric/shaman comfortable. It's crazy how much better the game gets once your toolkit starts filling up. Just getting more mana on my SK to allow me to throw the dots down feels good. He pulls lower guk because if he gets rooted on a pull he just mezzes and waits it out.

Our pace has been slow because none of us are going to krono for gear so we camp what we can and save our money to buy premium items when we see them. We by no means play at a breakneck pace but we don't sit and wait for mobs either. One of us is always out grabbing more. Once we outlevel the exe/cav/safehall area down in guk we'll probably just do Seafuries till our hands bleed to grab our boots and hope for good gem drops till we can start raiding.

Vanilla EQ is boring but I always felt the levels offered more reward as you go.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Lol, that poo poo is annoying. GamParse broken too. I assume this is due to the patch that removed Win7 support, and somehow it changed how timestamps are logged, which exposed some bug.

Go to eqresource.com and get the newest GamParse, its fine.

The problem is dates used to be in format 0X <month> <year> for days 1-9 in the month. They're now _X <month> <year> (space then number). This breaks Gina's regex badly.

The powershell solution to fix it works great at the expense of the log being duplicated, thus eating up twice the space. Gima, the developer on Gina and the only one who has the code base, doesn't give two shits about EQ or Gina but supposedly knows that its broken. Whether he'll fix it, who knows.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Go to eqresource.com and get the newest GamParse, its fine.

The problem is dates used to be in format 0X <month> <year> for days 1-9 in the month. They're now _X <month> <year> (space then number). This breaks Gina's regex badly.

The powershell solution to fix it works great at the expense of the log being duplicated, thus eating up twice the space. Gima, the developer on Gina and the only one who has the code base, doesn't give two shits about EQ or Gina but supposedly knows that its broken. Whether he'll fix it, who knows.

Man, my GamParse was super out of date it seems. Which makes sense, I installed that back when I was on P99, probably Kunark era...when did they add autoupdating?!

Regarding GINA: dude has put out a temp fix, and plans to release the fix this weekend. Info here: http://eq.gimasoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=261

Haven't tested it myself yet.

Edit: Just made the change. No longer errors when I fire it up, yay!

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 3, 2018

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Praise christ the Storms fiasco is over. Also, lol at the fact Trucidation is getting dunked on by every guild on the server right now.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

nawledgelambo posted:

Praise christ the Storms fiasco is over. Also, lol at the fact Trucidation is getting dunked on by every guild on the server right now.

was wondering why agnarr kills hasn't been updated :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
TL;DR - PoEb DZ is broken. So open world is the only way to get to Time.

Truedicktastin is sucking a big karmic dick for being absolute fuckbags the entire life of the server - FE is preventing them from completing the council fight.

FE is also doing a solid by letting every other guild complete it (so far Zurdula has, next is Addictions I think). It's only made sweeter because Truc has people in PoE begging for a raid invite.

PoP is cool, sorting flags is aids. I'm glad to be in EPs where loot actually is good.

What's really awesome is that I actually made really good friends with Knights of Vallon Zek and some more of Mess during the Storms poopsocks. No hard feelings, win or lose. One bard in Mess, upon me spamming trades with him to prevent dirges, said "holy poo poo, opening trades and BDAing me? Thats some everquest black ops poo poo. I like it" which was a contrast from an Endorphin wizard going all nerd ragey on me.

KoVZ gave us a 4 medallions yesterday. They are good people.