Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Mine is
1. Spider-Man Homecoming
2. Civil War
3. The Winter Soldier
4. Infinity War
5. Thor Ragnarok
6. Black Panther

Those are all basically my favorites and they can pretty be interchangeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Iron Man is still fantastic and will always be in my top 5. Winter Soldier, GotG, IW, Ragnarok and BP populate those other 4 spots in a rotation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to know what Hickman's favorite football message board is.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Endless Mike posted:

I want to know what Hickman's favorite football message board is.

Secret Bowl.

"Everyone loses. You, me, every player in this league. Our coaches, our management, and, eventually, the team itself. This is simply how things are."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For me,

1. Infinity War
2. Captain America Winter Soldier
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. Captain America The First Avenger
6. Black Panther
7. Thor Ragnarok
8. Doctor Strange
9. Ant-Man
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Avengers
12. Thor
13. Avengers Age of Ultron
14. Iron Man
15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
16. Incredible Hulk
17. Iron Man 3
18. Iron Man 2
19. Thor The Dark World

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Did the internet detectives track this down because I wanna read it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have Cap 3 on because it’s the only one on Netflix I haven’t rewatched this week, and god I love that airport flight. The way giant-sized Ant-Man moves like he’s fighting in a pool because of the air resistance is fantastic at really selling his size.

Plus, for a few minutes Hawkeye is an actual character, which is nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

. The way giant-sized Ant-Man moves like he’s fighting in a pool because of the air resistance is fantastic at really selling his size.

Paul Rudd steals every scene he is in. And that's nuts considering Spider-man was what they were showcasing there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For me, IW ranks 6th behind
1) Guardians 1
2) Cap 2
3) Ant-Man
4) BP
5) Thor 3

I really need to see it again to give it a proper ranking.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

X-O posted:

For me,

1. Infinity War
2. Captain America Winter Soldier
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. Captain America The First Avenger
6. Black Panther
7. Thor Ragnarok
8. Doctor Strange
9. Ant-Man
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Avengers
12. Thor
13. Avengers Age of Ultron
14. Iron Man
15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
16. Incredible Hulk
17. Iron Man 3
18. Iron Man 2
19. Thor The Dark World

When was the last time you watched IM3? Because there's no way it ranks below Thor 1 or 2, or AoU. It's vastly underrated IMO.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

zoux posted:

Awright fellas where does IW fit in your MCU rankings

I honestly don't even rank them anymore at this point. In the last year alone Marvel has managed to release five movies that could easily be considered some of the best superhero movies in decades.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm honestly surprised at how much people liked it. I mean, I loved it but I like everything, but people often frown on incomplete stories.

I feel like a lot of the negative critical reviews were complaining about things that the fans love: tons of callbacks, constant action, shared universes with important connections to other movies.

For my final ranking, I'm gonna have to see IW 2 because I think they're going to be considered of a piece once they’re both out. Also I need to see it again, there was a lot going on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chill Penguin posted:

When was the last time you watched IM3? Because there's no way it ranks below Thor 1 or 2, or AoU. It's vastly underrated IMO.

I'm just less of a fan of the Iron Man movies as I've never really connected with the character outside of a team dynamic. That's why the first one is so low too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

I mean, I loved it but I like everything, but people often frown on incomplete stories.

It is a complete story, though. Inasmuch as the culmination of ten years’ worth of films can be.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't know about my full list, but I'll tell you right now if Guardians came out when I was 5-10 years old it would absolutely be my favorite movie of all time for the rest of my life (replacing Ghostbusters since I was an 80s kid instead)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My updated rankings:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Doctor Strange
Thor
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: The Dark World

Infinity War does rely on how well the follow-up sticks the landing, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It has a better chance of being a good movie than IW did on paper Much smaller cast with a clear goal and possible AoA dark future with Punished versions of the OG Avengers

Btw how long are we gonna go on with spoiler tags

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

It has a better chance of being a good movie than IW did on paper Much smaller cast with a clear goal and possible AoA dark future with Punished versions of the OG Avengers

Btw how long are we gonna go on with spoiler tags

It seems polite to keep going as there is other superhero movie news coming out (the AM&W trailer if nothing else) but not everyone has had time to see IW yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd give it at least a week from release, probably going into next Monday bare minimum. There's certainly some expectation that this movie is kind of an inescapable event in and of itself and therefore spoilers are unavoidable, but courtesy should come first.

Though I really doubt anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet is even reading the thread at this point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My top ten-ish would probably be

1. Infinity War
2&3. Civil War tied with Winter Soldier
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 1
5. Black Panther
6. Age of Ultron
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Iron Man 3
9. Avengers
10. Thor: Ragnarok

Rhyno posted:

I can not believe how obsessed people still are over a SNYDER CUT of Justice League. There seems to be this idea that it would set some manner of sales record and blow Marvel's box office out of the water.

How are people this goddamned stupid?
Part of the reason is that Snyder himself has been more or less egging people on in social media, leaving a bunch of wink-wink-nudge-nudge "insider";) "reveals";) about his films like ooooh, look how deep and fascinating this is, wouldn't it be so interesting if there were even more mindblowing secrets that all you loyal fans have yet to be graced with??? Which is just leading said fans to be even more convinced that there was somehow this profound magnum opus version of Justice League just hiding away somewhere waiting to be unleashed to the world like a Beyonce album.

(Pretty much every reveal is just a Jesus allegory, in case you're wondering.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I'm honestly surprised at how much people liked it. I mean, I loved it but I like everything, but people often frown on incomplete stories.

Infinity War is a complete story, right down to the quintessential three-act structure.

For Thanos, not the Avengers, because Thanos is the main character of IW. The movie even ends with him relaxing and watching the sun rise like he said he was going to after accomplishing his goals.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Here's that deleted W'Kabi/Okoye scene from Black Panther:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnKxVC7kEA

It's really good but at the same time I understand why they cut it, it might be just a bit too slow for its place in the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't understand what people love about IM3, but I think GotG2 is very underrated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When does BP hit digital and br?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

I don't understand what people love about IM3, but I think GotG2 is very underrated.

I like Shane Black's movies. More particularly, I think that Iron Man 3 did a number of things well...subbing PTSD for alcoholism is the one that a lot of people bring up, but in addition to that I enjoyed that what it has in common with Iron Man 1 is that it isn't afraid to make Tony Stark the butt of a lot of jokes. And I thought that the way they handled the Mandarin was about as good as you could get out of the subject matter, turning a sinister Orientalist supervillain into a literal mish-mash of scary foreigner terrorist stereotypes made up to frighten Americans was a clever way to handle it and imo probably better than any hypothetical Actual Mandarin we could have gotten on screen. Also Tony Stark talking poo poo to a precocious movie child is great.

If it has a weakness it's the ending, which isn't a bad ending per se but it's an ending that's immediately weakened the moment Iron Man shows up in the next Marvel movie, and they had to know that of course Tony Stark isn't going to stop making new suits of armor and doing the Iron Man thing when there were still two more Avengers movies to go plus whatever else. So I sort of question the decision by the producers to okay that ending. Aldrich Killian is just sorta eh, whatever as the bad guy, I feel like there was more that they could have done to make the Extremis augmentations interesting than just "gets hot, shoots fire," and we never did get to see the goofy AIM beekeeper outfits which forces me to unreasonably deduct a point from the final score.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rhyno posted:

kinda surprised they didn't do it digitally at least before iw

i never got around to bp and i'm finally getting to iw on thursday. wish i coulda dropped $20 to watch it on itunes before.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Iron Man 3 owns. The point of the ending isn't that Tony won't build more suits, it's that he has a better understanding of what the suits mean (very little). He is Iron Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IM3 is awesome except for the stupid part where they decided to include a loving child sidekick.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SonicRulez posted:

I like Shane Black

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Iron Man 3 owns. The point of the ending isn't that Tony won't build more suits, it's that he has a better understanding of what the suits mean (very little). He is Iron Man.

It's great because it's literally the same ending line as Iron Man 1 but has a completely different meaning.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The sidekick is good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They added the kid sidekick but Tony constantly dunks on him.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My top 10 probably goes something like

1) Winter Soldier
2) Black Panther
3) Ragnarok
4) Infinity War
5) Iron Man
6) Guardians 1
7) First Avenger
8) Civil War
9) Guardians 2
10) Iron Man 3

Avengers 1 and Ultron are closer to the bottom if I were ranking the rest, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. Winter Soldier is probably the most complete of any superhero movie that has come out in this boom, but Black Panther is super close to it

also yup, Iron Man 3 completes that character arc for Tony where he realizes that he is Iron Man and not the suit (remember what he tells Peter in Homecoming? wonder where he learned that). I think that that arc was not completely done away with, as Tony in Ultron and Civil War is obsessed with the idea of having the levers of power taken away so that the Avengers aren't the only thing keeping the world safe. I think that because Tony realized that he's in control, his actions can be interpreted as him wanting to go home to Pepper and really leave that world behind. It doesn't matter how that exchange is handled (AI in Ultron, ceding control to the world governments in CW), but that it is done so he can finally be at rest with his decisions.

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 2, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

May 15. What's crazy is BP is still in the box office top five.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

I need it nowwwwww

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

They added the kid sidekick but Tony constantly dunks on him.

Yeah exactly. In any other movie the kid sidekick would have been obnoxious but they weren't afraid to show Tony Stark being willing to dunk on him and it owns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah exactly. In any other movie the kid sidekick would have been obnoxious but they weren't afraid to show Tony Stark being willing to dunk on him and it owns.

Peter Parker's been a far more tolerable kid sidekick.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Looks like digital is May 8th. At least on iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The kid in IM3 is worse than Nedddddd.

• Locked thread