Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

more success in three weeks than I've had in 30 years on other soft plastics. gently caress you, Texas-rigged bullshit. Hell, only the black jitterbug and rapala minnow have even come close.

Anyone else here use the badly-written atrociously-named "Fishidy"?

Don't sleep on T-rigged Senkos, Bass'll hit that drop like it owes them money

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rod came in. 7'6" Ark Viper MH with an extra fast tip. God drat is it nice. Strong spine but still amazingly sensitive. Yesterday I played around in the canal at the edge of the rv park my dad and his friend are staying in for about an hour to get everything dialed in with the new reel. Then today I proceeded to beat the poo poo out of it for 8 hours straight on okeechobee fishing the gnarliest structure I could find with 30lb berkley fireline fused crystal line and a texas rig with a 1/2oz tungsten weight and a mix of rage craws and structure bugs in black and blue. The setup does good and that extra fast tip lets me sidearm stuff damned far with ease.

Got a decent 2 1-2lb largemouth, a 1lb largemouth and then the biggest dickhead of a yellow panhead catfish I've ever seen in the first 2 hours. After pulling the hook out, the catfish decided he wanted to keep the rage craw and kept trying to eat the loving thing as I was trying to pull it out of his mouth. Wound up fighting for a good 30 seconds with that fucker in the most absurd game of tug of war I've ever taken part in. I eventually won, but not before the poor craw was obliterated and my dad had collapsed laughing with tears in his eyes at the scene. The catfish got the final laugh though, because I couldn't get more than a few short strikes and nibbles the rest of the day. Still a good drat day fishin tho.

Me in my dirty rear end car mechanicing t-shirt holding my best fish of the day. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 26, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Don't sleep on T-rigged Senkos, Bass'll hit that drop like it owes them money

Today in particular. Visit a one-acre lake tucked away on some game land no one seems to know about :

Go to the other side after having no luck there and cast around a mostly-submerged beaver-toppled tree.

Cast #1: Bass strike, miss the hookset
Cast #2: Bass strike, maybe a foot long, hook him but he manages to throw the hook near shore
Cast #4: Bass strike, set hook, he looks drat respectable (I would guess 18-20 inches), fights well, manages to swim through the tree branches and break me off in them.

Return to where my tackle bag is for a new senko, pretty decent sized bream takes my worm line, throws the hook.

Return to the tree I was at before, get no strikes. But I did toss a golden shiner under a bobber out and got my consolation prize: the biggest friggin warmouth I've ever seen in my life:

I really really need to get a scale. I estimated him at close to or just over 2lbs, tossed him back. I check the state records later, and the record is 1lb 13oz, coincidentally caught not far away from where I was.

My other consolation prize: as I pulled my senko up from a cast later on, there was a minnow half the size of my pinky trying to grab it :3:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Academy has all flavors of Whopper Ploppers on sale for :10bux: right now. I've been wanting to try one out because I love topwater fishing but that $16-18 price tag always made me hesitant to buy one. I picked up a couple in the medium and large size. Gonna try them out this weekend and report back.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
They are pretty amazing lures and are perhaps the easiest tapwater to use. If you don’t have any Pike or Pike-like fish to contend with, you should be able to fish one forever and not lose it so long as you don’t throw it into a tree.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Nah, I think I'm good there. I don't think I've ever caught anything out of our usual lake that wasn't a bass, bream, or catfish. Also the occasional tree.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I prototyped a new spinner today with a single barbless hook and built in crane swivel

Gonna test it out tomorrow and see if the hook is still balanced (couldn’t find the “ideal” single spinner hook, the siwash, so that one is an Aberdeen I think?) and see if I can’t bag some trout

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I prototyped a new spinner today with a single barbless hook and built in crane swivel

Gonna test it out tomorrow and see if the hook is still balanced (couldn’t find the “ideal” single spinner hook, the siwash, so that one is an Aberdeen I think?) and see if I can’t bag some trout

These are the hooks that I use for replacing trebles and they work well on inline spinners.

I have also tried adding a swivel like you have with mixed results. I think it depends on the blade style and size and how relates to the overall weight of the spinner, sometimes everything runs fine and you don’t get any line twist but other times it seems like I can’t get the blade started or running consistently. If it’s not working out how you wanted to I would look to tweaking the blades before giving up on the idea altogether.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah that’s kinda close to a siwash. The idea is to use basically a plain straight shank hook with the eyelet linear to the shank, so these should be okay. They’re just a little long imo

e: it’s a Kirby hook lol not Aberdeen I guess

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Went out over the weekend to use my Tenkara rod trout fishing in Wisconsin.

I feel so disappointed...

I'm sure I'll get better with practice but I feel like those rods are more useful in wide open rivers out west. I kept hitting trees and getting snagged, while my fly rod fishing friends just casted to and fro with ease. Was still fun to get out and tromp around a river and I like it for backpacking. Just not as simple as I hoped or thought it would be.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm sure I'll get better with practice but I feel like those rods are more useful in wide open rivers out west. I kept hitting trees and getting snagged, while my fly rod fishing friends just casted to and fro with ease. Was still fun to get out and tromp around a river and I like it for backpacking. Just not as simple as I hoped or thought it would be.

Fly fishing sucks. I love fly fishing. Just get used to losing tippet and leaders. You'll get really good at tying knots at least.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Bass in crystal-clear water are bait-ignoring dicks. That is all.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I get a lot of use out of my tenkara rods in Michigan, and I think the rivers here are similar. You've got to watch out for trees and sometimes modify your casts - a sidearm cast is very useful when you're fishing from a bank with lots of trees and brush. I'm surprised the traditional fly rod folks were doing fine if you were having trouble. Where were their backcasts going?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

I get a lot of use out of my tenkara rods in Michigan, and I think the rivers here are similar. You've got to watch out for trees and sometimes modify your casts - a sidearm cast is very useful when you're fishing from a bank with lots of trees and brush. I'm surprised the traditional fly rod folks were doing fine if you were having trouble. Where were their backcasts going?

Probably water loading or rolling casts.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

They were going straight back for the most part. I think part of it was just the sheer size of my rod. It was a tenkara rod co Teton rod, the thing is like 12 feet long!

A lot of it is probably on me too. I just need more practice with it. In open spots I was getting some good casts and nice drifts but those moments were rare. I'm going on a backpacking trip this weekend and plan on bringing it along again for a lake that should be on the route. I'll give it another try there.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not trying to rod shame but I absolutely do not get the tenkara rod thing, especially at some of the prices I’ve seen.

What am I missing?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

"This lake is managed for Channel Catfish". OK

*leaves cured chicken liver, garlic/strawberry cured hot dog, and half of a dead shiner on three lines, go an hour with no bites*

Well, let's try this then
*tosses Senko out, bass on the fourth cast*

It really is starting to feel like cheating.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"This lake is managed for Channel Catfish". OK

*leaves cured chicken liver, garlic/strawberry cured hot dog, and half of a dead shiner on three lines, go an hour with no bites*

Well, let's try this then
*tosses Senko out, bass on the fourth cast*

It really is starting to feel like cheating.

what's your hook, presentation, and fishing method?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

what's your hook, presentation, and fishing method?

Wacky rigged 3/0 straight through the "band", let it sink, two quick short jerks (usually horizontal if the tree situation allows), sink, repeat. Works almost every time (the biggies I saw earlier in the week ignored everything live or artificial during their shoreline cruises).

Unless you meant the cat lines, which are just 4/0 circle hooks on a Santee rig.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They were going straight back for the most part. I think part of it was just the sheer size of my rod. It was a tenkara rod co Teton rod, the thing is like 12 feet long!

A lot of it is probably on me too. I just need more practice with it. In open spots I was getting some good casts and nice drifts but those moments were rare. I'm going on a backpacking trip this weekend and plan on bringing it along again for a lake that should be on the route. I'll give it another try there.

I'm typically using a 14 foot rod (a Daiwa Expert LT) or a 6.5 meter carp rod (so about 20 feet). It just takes some practice to get used to casting, but you're never using more space on a backcast than a traditional fly rod. A 12 foot rod should just give you some decent reach. If you're not careful, you can end up with a fly in a tree high above you, but the same issue is present with a regular fly rod.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Hey folks,

I'm taking my Pops out to fish for the first time in his life. He isn't outdoorsy or particularly handy. I'd like to get him a good spincast reel that could handle a good sized bass. Pre-spooled would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Hey folks,

I'm taking my Pops out to fish for the first time in his life. He isn't outdoorsy or particularly handy. I'd like to get him a good spincast reel that could handle a good sized bass. Pre-spooled would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Any spinning reel 1000 size or better will handle whatever bass you’re like to catch. Don’t buy a spincast reel unless it’s on a snoopy rod for your 2 year old. Definitely don’t give one to your dad for Christ’s sake

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A cheapo walmart ugly stick and a basic 200 size quantum spinning reel is usually my go to recomendation for a cheap spinning rod and reel for someone to start fishing. You can probably get a zebco 33 or the like for dirt cheap as well. These are bad though.

Honestly if this is going to be a one time thing, I'd just find someone to borrow a rod and reel from.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
If it's just gonna be a one and done kind of thing I'd probably do a cheap spinning combo from Academy. I tried to link an Ugly Stik spinning combo for $25 that was pre-spooled and included a few pieces of tackle but couldn't get the link to work right.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 4, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I would strongly recommend not getting a prespooled reel. It’s going to be Z grade monofilament that’s been sitting on there for God knows how many years and is likely to be a stiff and coily mess.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I’m headed down to Panama City beach in a few weeks with the family. We’re staying in a condo that’s pretty close to St Andrews. I’ve never fished from the beach on Panama City before. It looks like shark fishing is popular, although one article I read seemed like they were trying to regulate it. Im hoping to get out and do some surf fishing one morning from the park, or even the beach in front of the condo. Anything I should watch out for?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Sharks for sure. :rimshot:

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Lol I guess I should have phrased that better.

Anyone have any tips or general knowledge about surf fishing in PCB?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'll make a confession.

I did all my fishing when I was a pre-teen and I'm in my thirties now. I think this is a hobby my Dad could possibly pick up. But he could blow it off. If he doesn't use the reel I will. But I'm no expert.

I grew up using spincast and open reels. No matter what I do, when I try to string these Shimano open reels I end up loving things up pretty badly. It twists up like a mother. I just need to thread my reel without making a rat's nest.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Use braid for your main line and learn to tie an Alberto knot to add a leader. Braid handles great on spinning reels.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Took some gear out for a test run and caught a 15" largemouth. Hit like a guppy and fought like wet underwear. Panfish on light tackle are more fun. Still, first catch of the year.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

RIP, last Senko of the bag. You truly are the best $5.79 I ever spent on a lure.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Whopper Plopper didn't get any attention after a couple hours so I switched to old faithful and caught 9, all about this size:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's a good way to find pike in a lake? Heading to the in-laws cottage next weekend and bass doesn't open til end of June. This is in central Ontario. I've only fished up there a couple times (only started fishing last summer) and caught nothing but bass.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

What's a good way to find pike in a lake? Heading to the in-laws cottage next weekend and bass doesn't open til end of June. This is in central Ontario. I've only fished up there a couple times (only started fishing last summer) and caught nothing but bass.

Spool your reel up with 8 pound fluorocarbon and tie a $25 jerkbait on, the pike will find you.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

I always had pretty good success in upstate NY vertical jigging a spoon in the water, having a depth/fish finder helps for this.

Or just try to target LMB in heavy Lilly pads with a frog or mouse, those asses seem to love ejecting the lure out of the water and never biting.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

bass doesn't open til end of June. This is in central Ontario.

Also by "open" do you mean just to keep them or for trying to target them in general? I don't think there are any "seasons" around here for C&R fishing that I know of except for maybe tidal striped bass? But even then it would be totally unenforceable as there is never a general "you can't have a line in the water at all" restriction.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Also by "open" do you mean just to keep them or for trying to target them in general? I don't think there are any "seasons" around here for C&R fishing that I know of except for maybe tidal striped bass? But even then it would be totally unenforceable as there is never a general "you can't have a line in the water at all" restriction.

Yeah no targeting or taking until 4th weekend in June. You’re “supposed” to release without even taking pictures and change your tactics/spot to avoid catching them if you do. It’s not realistically enforceable but I know for me I try not to fish in a place/manner which is gonna land me bass until July. For pike tho yeah literally just boat around a lake with the biggest fuckin spoon/spinner you can get your hands on and go up and down in the water and you’ll catch pike. I make my own spinners and have always found any colour blade and beads with a black and red buck tail really slays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
That’s crazy. I assume it’s to protect them during the spawn, which I also assume happens late up there. LMBs are so prolific down here it’s weird to think of them as needing a closed season.