Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

Oh, that totally happened. Somebody did that to the entire Army in, what, 2013? 2014?

CHAOS REIGNS

I think it was 2014, because I was definitely in Afghanistan when it happened. Someone somehow replied all to the entirety of the NIPR address book in outlook.

The worst part was that it was some dude trying to get help with his kids or something because his wife left him and suddenly his story was being sent to half the DoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

I recall a story about a company's web server getting crashed because someone accidentally sent an e-mail and cc'd everyone in the company. Then people would reply and tell people to stop replying and so on and so on.

Was it this year or last when someone managed to send an email to everyone in the British health care system, NHS? Like everyone working in healthcare in the entire country. Then the mail servers crashed like this.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I asked a couple of friends who I likely heard that from, and one of them confirmed it was him. Best part is he worked for a web host so all the client's web pages got taken down by it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

psydude posted:

I think it was 2014, because I was definitely in Afghanistan when it happened. Someone somehow replied all to the entirety of the NIPR address book in outlook.

The worst part was that it was some dude trying to get help with his kids or something because his wife left him and suddenly his story was being sent to half the DoD.

I remembered something like this happening between 2015-2016. Same story--a dude in Korea was trying to get some help with a family situation and it accidentally went out to a huge distro of people. I felt pretty bad for that guy.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pretty sure is was 2015, right after I did my final out.

I remember hearing about it and laughing, knowing it would never bother me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Steezo posted:

poo poo, at least Marines have the spelling MCI. No idea what the army has to correct lovely spelling besides cell phone autocorrect and assholes who think orientate is a word.

It is a word. Fight me.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
So is caveat but that doesn't mean that everyone who uses it in the army isn't completely retarded

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If ANY of you have any ALIBIS before we leave the range, put them in the ammo can

:psyduck:

"Yes, DS, here's my alibi for the night of the murder, written out. Do I put it in the can or...? That seems more like an affidavit, anyway."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
behooooove

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

spacetoaster posted:

It is a word. Fight me.

It's a bowdlerization of a root word-suffix pair. The root word being orient, the suffix being the verb tense adding -ation. In present tense you "Orient yourself." Past tense, "Oriented". Somewhere between the two is "Oriented". Not ated. Ated is not an English suffix. Not even in the sense of "you are ated the gently caress up".

Swag is for children.

Imperium is for man.

Language is the cornerstone of Empire.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Who cares

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
if there wasnt any caring about petty poo poo would the army even be the army

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

mods change my name posted:

if there wasnt any caring about petty poo poo would the army even be the army

This guy gets it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

550 GB is laughably small for a shared e-mail server

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
bunch of nerds arguing semantics

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

550 GB is laughably small for a shared e-mail server

I was attached to a PAO and the entire media server that was allotted to us to use to upload media to dvids (when we got our allotted satellite time, usually at like midnight) was 130GB or so. IIRC the entire server used by the JTF media side, including files for vetting and poo poo, was like 2TB.

We broke the rules and got approval to plug external HDDs into the server blade directly (located ON TOP OF the soundproof recording booth, just to ensure that all of our recordings had a bassy fan noise to them) so we could swap files more quickly than over gitmo's congested 10base T or whatever network.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The army runs on sneakernet

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Something about chaos and not following doctrine or whatever.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

"Pacificly speaking, you must orientate the map with the terrain. One caveat, I am an idiot."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"I'm gonna chasse to the cache."

It's pronounced like cash you idiots.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone got any alibais?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Anyone got any alibais?

No. But to caveat: I have a dd214.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spacetoaster posted:

There's a lot of really relatable poo poo in the new Netflix show Aggretsuko. There was a scene where nearly this exact conversation happened.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

There's a lot of really relatable poo poo in the new Netflix show Aggretsuko. There was a scene where nearly this exact conversation happened.

Never seen the show, but there's a general in our army whose intelligence is extremely high, and patience is extremely low. I worked for him years ago and it was absolutely orgasmic to watch him break down and destroy field grades in briefings.

He's the guy I heard that phrase from (while he was yelling at some idiot giving a brief).

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

Cache can be pronounced cache or cache, both are acceptable

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Cache can be pronounced cache or cache, both are acceptable

I was talking about the people pronouncing it *kashay*

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Kashay is improper but I can’t be bothered to care when I hear someone say that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

spacetoaster posted:

I had a shift change in Iraq that had a slide helping the people who could not pronounce it right. I didn’t make or use the slide, but it pissed a lot of people off.

People don’t like to be told they’re loving up a word.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My NGB 22 and honorable discharge..thing came in the mail today. Despite already using GI bill poo poo, NOW ot feels official.
Only took them 4 months

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
23 days 'til I'm officially and 100% a filthy civilian again. :toot:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Naked Bear posted:

23 days 'til my I'm officially and 100% a filthy civilian again. :toot:

22 days until you get stop lossed

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You mean from IRR too?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

It popped up in the recommended bar during the credits of an Office episode. The wife and I tried to watch it, didn't even make it through the opening credits. Way too weeb-ish

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Five years in the marines hosed up my ability to spell and vocabulary. You're constantly around people using words in wrong ways or words that don't exist etc. Some of the obvious ones are easy to screen out like "behoooove" but some stuff just seeps into your brain over time

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Words are parsimonious and their definition really depends on the culture using it.

The fact that you understood what wrong words were and the meaning implied with them is a good example of that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It only goes so far, though. 3/4 of my platoon was from the Ohio River valley area around WV and Ohio and many of them were functionally illiterate. Like it was bad enough that the S1 routinely made me sit down with them and rewrite sworn statements because they were barely intelligible.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Bunch of non communicating fucks in here. That's ok. I've got time, there yoohoo.

Trying to remember the other un-words but I'm drawing a blank atm. Oh well back to another productive day protecting this nations interest after being called up by tweet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slim Pickens posted:

It popped up in the recommended bar during the credits of an Office episode. The wife and I tried to watch it, didn't even make it through the opening credits. Way too weeb-ish

My wife's Amazon playlist is k-dramas so I'm at least moving up. Its definitely a Sanrio show (you'd know them as the makes of Hello Kitty).

I won't pretend not to enjoy it, but I'm also friends with tons of people with soul crushing corporate office jobs, and I've always liked cartoons.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

psydude posted:

It only goes so far, though. 3/4 of my platoon was from the Ohio River valley area around WV and Ohio and many of them were functionally illiterate. Like it was bad enough that the S1 routinely made me sit down with them and rewrite sworn statements because they were barely intelligible.

We had a motor sergeant from that part of the country and trying to figure out what he was saying was like trying to solve some kind of verbal puzzle. One thing I remember in particular was when he was directing the guy operating the boom on the wrecker he would say "down more let" instead of "let it down more". He was filthy as hell too, as in always dirty and shaggy looking. On the other hand he could fix poo poo pretty well and didn't mind hard work so :shrug:

I will never forget how hard I laughed the day he nailed himself in the balls with a slide hammer while removing a broken torsion bar on an M1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

Words are parsimonious and their definition really depends on the culture using it.

The fact that you understood what wrong words were and the meaning implied with them is a good example of that.

yeah but then you leave the military and sound like a literal retard when you occasionally use weird rear end words in odd ways