Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Wizchine posted:

Culture appropriation is the dumbest thing ever to be concerned about. Can we go back to globalization as an aspiration, please?

Nah it's a real concern.... with certain groups.
Like really marginalized minorities whose culture is barely breathing under the weight of the majority one (natives), and those with really long lovely histories of being co-opted, disrespected, and made into horribly racist satires (black americans).

Applying that to Chinese stuff is just lol.

The Great Autismo! posted:

if I learned anything from The Great Race Space, it is that whatever white people are doing is bad, so uh, gently caress them, whatever it is recently that they've done

You have an actual history of being a clueless schmuck on this sort of thing. :holy:

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

On a train?

In Japan?

I tried to google this but i dont know what you are talking about.

God I hate what the worlds has become I really like the simple principle of "dont go around telling people what they can and cant do"

I remember a vietnamese girl I knew was talking about some 2nd gen viet woman who was getting popular as a clothing designer and she made a dress based on the vietnamese dress and said something to the effect

"I changed the position of buttons because people say this dress comes from china but no its vietnamese sytle"

To which my friend who was from viet name commented "The dress does comes from china she put the buttons in the wrong place and she is stupid"

Was the worst thing the romans ever did was the appropriation of greek culture?

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

I dunno, were they white?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

I tried to google this but i dont know what you are talking about.

God I hate what the worlds has become I really like the simple principle of "dont go around telling people what they can and cant do"

I remember a vietnamese girl I knew was talking about some 2nd gen viet woman who was getting popular as a clothing designer and she made a dress based on the vietnamese dress and said something to the effect

"I changed the position of buttons because people say this dress comes from china but no its vietnamese sytle"

To which my friend who was from viet name commented "The dress does comes from china she put the buttons in the wrong place and she is stupid"

Its an internet famous pic

Edit: don't know why it's so small but can't be arsed to fix it so

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
What's the meme those kids are mimicking? Idiots on facebook are now touting that "sure the dress is fine, but these kids are super racist assholes" and I'm baffled. Even if you took the meme out of the equation, do white people no longer pray with hands together? Like isn't that globally the most common way to show you're praying?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Atlas Hugged posted:

What's the meme those kids are mimicking? Idiots on facebook are now touting that "sure the dress is fine, but these kids are super racist assholes" and I'm baffled. Even if you took the meme out of the equation, do white people no longer pray with hands together? Like isn't that globally the most common way to show you're praying?

Isnt it better not to know?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Atlas Hugged posted:

The claim that their hand gesture is racist comes from the stereotype that Asians bow with their hands folded. There's a subtype of that stereotype of Asian women in qipao's doing it, which plays into submissive Asian girl fetishes.

But it's more likely those kids were referencing to H3H3 memes. The boys in the back row are doing the vape nation sign and the girls up front are probably referencing "papa bless," where you fold your hands to pray to Papa John's Pizza in jest.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praying_Hands_(D%C3%BCrer)

quote:

Praying hands (German: Betende Hände), also known as Study of the Hands of an Apostle (Studie zu den Händen eines Apostels), is a pen-and-ink drawing by the German printmaker, painter and theorist Albrecht Dürer. The work is today stored at the Albertina museum in Vienna, Austria. Dürer created the drawing using the technique of white heightening and black ink on (self-made) blue colored paper. The drawing shows a close up of two male hands clasped together praying. Also, the partly rolled up sleeves are seen.

The drawing is a sketch (study) for hands of an apostles who was planned to occupy the central panel of the triptych in installed in Frankfurt titled the Heller Altarpiece, which was later destroyed by a fire in 1729.[1] The sketched hands appear on the triptych on the right side of the central panel, and although the detail appears very similar, it is smaller in size in the triptych.

There is also this old meme that caused some issues when i went to high school back in the late 1990's (god I am old)

Some one put a few of those flyers and it led to accusations of racism against asians (my school was mostly Hispanic we had like two chinese students)
http://www.missingdoghead.com/

Anyway it was pointed out in the discussion of this that people were assume only asians dont speak english or use pigin english and people were projecting poo poo on to what is clearly a loving joke.

Oh Oh I can hear you say "but the dogs name is ling ling which primes you to think of asians" yes only an asain would name the dong ling ling because that clearly what asian people would do.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Americans with say Chinese heritage are different from actual Chinese people. How people in China feel about something in america matters less than what Chinese Americans feel I think. It's like when GITS caught flack for having a white lady as the lead role and smart asses who think racism is dead countered with, "yeah well Japanese people don't care!" Yeah because their experience is different from an Asian minority born and raised in america lol how hard is this to understand

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a hot chicks in a hot dresses taking a prom photo with a bunch of douches in the back. Who cares. She can have that slit as far up as she wants.

I laugh a little when ever I see the photos of Mainlanders in front of *fake foreign cultural landmark* in western wedding dresses. 10 seconds later some other couple will do the same thing on that same spot. You have fireworks at your weddings, go have one of those. Stereotypical Western weddings are boring.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

oohhboy posted:

It's a hot chicks in a hot dresses taking a prom photo with a bunch of douches in the back. Who cares. She can have that slit as far up as she wants.

I laugh a little when ever I see the photos of Mainlanders in front of *fake foreign cultural landmark* in western wedding dresses. 10 seconds later some other couple will do the same thing on that same spot. You have fireworks at your weddings, go have one of those. Stereotypical Western weddings are boring.

post. the. loving. suit.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

oohhboy posted:

Dude, she’s in high school. Don’t be gross.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
ALSO POST THE SUIT

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
DO IT POST THE SUIT

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I'd like to have a new suit.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

You have an actual history of being a clueless schmuck on this sort of thing. :holy:

ayyyy lmao

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

CIGNX posted:

The claim that their hand gesture is racist comes from the stereotype that Asians bow with their hands folded. There's a subtype of that stereotype of Asian women in qipao's doing it, which plays into submissive Asian girl fetishes.

Which is weird because there's a massive variety of bows and greetings and putting hands together done across a variety of cultures, religions, and races in Asia and trying to peg the gesture in that photo to anything seems loving futile.

Pirate Radar posted:

ALSO POST THE SUIT

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
also post the suit or it is a direct attack on my identity

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

The Great Autismo! posted:

also post the suit or it is a direct attack on my identity

I'm gonna directly attack your identity politics.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
help, help, words are violence

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nickmeister posted:

Americans with say Chinese heritage are different from actual Chinese people. How people in China feel about something in america matters less than what Chinese Americans feel I think. It's like when GITS caught flack for having a white lady as the lead role and smart asses who think racism is dead countered with, "yeah well Japanese people don't care!" Yeah because their experience is different from an Asian minority born and raised in america lol how hard is this to understand
Here is the best interview on the whole thing from 4 Japanese actresses. It is the best interview. They didn't much of a poo poo about ScarJo casting as they understood the source material. It was more Hollywood waving the diversity flag so unnecessary and made a bad movie that rub them the wrong. That scene with the mother was awkward af.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghost-shell-4-japanese-actresses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956

quote:

Yoshihara: The actress who played the mom played a madam in Memoirs of a Geisha, and when I saw that movie I knew she was directed by white directors because she was totally playing an American bitch. In Japan, we don't act like that. The demeanor and body language was mimicking an American person. Any time a white director directs a Japanese movie, they're always trying to get us to act American.

Kato-Kiriyama: Meanwhile, Asian-Americans are asked to be super Oriental. (Laughter.)

quote:

Kato-Kiriyama: He's Beat Motherf—in' Takeshi. Let him speak Japanese. I'm so glad he didn't die in that car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Yoshihara: The actress who played the mom played a madam in Memoirs of a Geisha, and when I saw that movie I knew she was directed by white directors because she was totally playing an American bitch. In Japan, we don't act like that. The demeanor and body language was mimicking an American person. Any time a white director directs a Japanese movie, they're always trying to get us to act American.

Americans act like this and Japanese people act like this?

That’s racist.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nickmeister posted:

Because at the heart of issue is "ownership" and as you point out a person growing up as a minority in america has a different experience and I would argue even a different culture than those back in the homeland. So when he tries to argue "this is mine not yours" it comes off as weird, and honestly there is a good chance he just has an axe to grind with white people.

oohhboy posted:

Here is the best interview on the whole thing from 4 Japanese actresses. It is the best interview. They didn't much of a poo poo about ScarJo casting as they understood the source material. It was more Hollywood waving the diversity flag so unnecessary and made a bad movie that rub them the wrong. That scene with the mother was awkward af.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghost-shell-4-japanese-actresses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956

I would just like to point out that there is no suit in this post

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

All champagne is sparkling wine but not all sparkling wine is champagne
Doesn't stop people enjoying both of these these things worldwide

If you wanna talk cultural appropriation let's have a discussion about "cheddar", "parmesan", and "champagne" emblazoned with made in america and pilled high on the shelves of walmart

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

also someone please start a crusade against jeremy lam for manspaining the cheongsam.

it is womens clothing (traditionally in china worn only by biological women so sorry transvestites, transsexuals, and transgender people, you cannot wear it) therefore he should stay in his lane and let a biological chinese woman have the limelight

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Imperialist Dog posted:

As a white person I only wear culturally appropriate headgear for tropical weather

Get out of my hooooouse!

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Atlas Hugged posted:

Which is weird because there's a massive variety of bows and greetings and putting hands together done across a variety of cultures, religions, and races in Asia and trying to peg the gesture in that photo to anything seems loving futile.

They're not pegging it to something people in Asia actually do, they're pegging it to how in the past Western media referenced or portrayed Asians in ways that had little to no basis in reality. Associating Asians with bowing with hands folded was a common trope in Western popular media, just like the sound of a gong being hit, the Oriental riff, or that lovely bamboo font. It's kind of absurd, so people are discouraging others from perpetuating it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The world would be a much cooler place if every country wore its national dress like Bhutan instead of everyone dressing like they were british or american.

E; the world would be pretty amazing if every country was like Bhutan, dick paintings and statutes and chicken crown and poo poo included

ive been wanting to make a thread about Bhutan, The Best Country on this Earth, but its hard because its all intrinsically NSFW because there are cumming dicks painted on every structure in the country

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 2, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

hakimashou posted:

The world would be a much cooler place if every country wore its national dress like Bhutan instead of everyone dressing like they were british or american.

E; the world would be pretty amazing if every country was like Bhutan, dick paintings and statutes and chicken crown and poo poo included

ive been wanting to make a thread about Bhutan, The Best Country on this Earth, but its hard because its all intrinsically NSFW because there are cumming dicks painted on every structure in the country

Just get mod approval and tag it properly

I for one am a big fan of the Bhutanese passport

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

simplefish posted:

Just get mod approval and tag it properly

I for one am a big fan of the Bhutanese passport

Bhutan’s flag is great, but nearby Nepal has them beat.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I dunno I just feel that the way to combat stereotypes is openness, leading to education, leading to understanding. Rather than segregation and shouting down those interested in a culture, even if the way they go about it is ignorant and unintentionally insulting.

There's a difference between pulling your eyes into slits, sticking out your front teeth, and grimacing through a "ching chong, ling long, ting tong!", and wearing a dress you think is pretty

Also I am meeting autismo in real life soon and I already know we're gonna get drunk and shout at each other about miroagressions for an hour

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

oohhboy posted:

Here is the best interview on the whole thing from 4 Japanese actresses. It is the best interview. They didn't much of a poo poo about ScarJo casting as they understood the source material.

The people who made the movie, however, did not.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Bhutan’s flag is great, but nearby Nepal has them beat.

Sure, I guess, if geometry is cooler tham dragons

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hello when did D&D invade the chinrar thread. Where is Haier when you need him!!!!

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

ntan1 posted:

Hello when did D&D invade the chinrar thread. Where is Haier when you need him!!!!

Busy plun'qin', innit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

simplefish posted:

I dunno I just feel that the way to combat stereotypes is openness, leading to education, leading to understanding. Rather than segregation and shouting down those interested in a culture, even if the way they go about it is ignorant and unintentionally insulting.

There's a difference between pulling your eyes into slits, sticking out your front teeth, and grimacing through a "ching chong, ling long, ting tong!", and wearing a dress you think is pretty

Also I am meeting autismo in real life soon and I already know we're gonna get drunk and shout at each other about miroagressions for an hour

The train of thought also, amusingly, leads to the exact same position a ton of racists hold which is that cultures should never intermix and countries should be entirely homogeneous.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The whole billiards ball concept of "cultures" as self-enclosed wholes that keep violently knocking against each other that these folks seem to be operating on is also questionable as hell. It also tends to lead to pretty reactionary outcomes as the political power to Define A Culture usually resides with old conservative men, especially in migrant situations where threatened communities tend to rally around recognized leaders with Proper Family Values, leading to silencing of the voices of those who don't conform. I'm all for defending minority rights to self-definition but maybe this whole discourse on culture isn't the best way to go about things.

But yeah, this isn't D&D, sorry, back to Dragon Ball Flags

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

simplefish posted:

And people do do this, but also, sometimes, people who feel insulted don’t appreciate being told that they shouldn’t feel insulted and that they should actually engage and shoulder the task of explaining why and how someone else just insulted them.

post the suit

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I think we're talking about slightly different things. It isn't the job of every ethnic minority individual to correct racist stereotypes wherever they find them, that's true. And racists are certainly the ones to blame for racism happening, that's a given.

But for those who want to foment outrage and whip their twitter followers up into a frenzy - for those who are already partaking in some form of shaping social change - I believe it is perfectly acceptable to (as a member of society myself) review their position and criticise if I find it lacking.

Like, you don't have to be an agent of change, but if you're gonna don that mantle, be the change you want to see.

E: also I didn't say people shouldn't feel insulted, personal feelings are.... well, personal

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i think the funny thing about people getting mad about that dress is that it's a really pretty dress and the girl looks really good in it, she completely steals the show. All of her friends are wearing boring, bland dresses, hers is the only one thats flattering. its not like she made a gross caricature, she's genuinely the best dressed there.

• Locked thread