Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fast pacing? Lots of stuff to chew on?

Occultic;Nine is for you! It's an intriguing mystery that's weird and wild and it's one of the fastest series I've ever seen. I like it a lot, even if the character design, hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

hits the ground running
Jormungand?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

Baccano arguably starts way too fast. The first episode is the chronological endpoint of most of the plotlines, and jumps between different time frames with extreme frequency (the show itself is actually like 3 plotlines that are each chronologically a year apart, being shown concurrently. Also, multiple key members of the cast appear in all 3 plotlines, in case you were wondering if this would get confusing at all)

It's a really confusing information overload coming at a time when you have the least ability to process any of it, due to not knowing any of the characters.

But it's also really, really, really good.

Personally I got like 3 episodes in, then re-watched the first episode like twice more to figure out what was going on in it. This isn't necessary though

One of those plotlines is a little more than a year removed from the others. :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Have to agree with Baccano. You will likely be a bit confused yeah, but it doesn't matter because that poo poo is :krad: and you will be riveted until it's over. It's also not that long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Occultic;Nine is for you! It's an intriguing mystery that's weird and wild and it's one of the fastest series I've ever seen. I like it a lot, even if the character design, hoo boy.

Wait, Occultic;Nine's actually good?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's decent. Definitely pretty unique, at any rate.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's good but doesn't really tie up the story, which is I guess what the VN is for?

e: though the one ep near the end guest directed by the Electromagnetic Girlfriend guy is nearly unwatchable.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes. I liked it a lot and would be up for a rewatch. It's flawed, and nowhere near the level of Steins;Gate, but I liked it better than S;G, weirdly enough.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Most unfortunate use of semi;colon

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

One of those plotlines is a little more than a year removed from the others. :v:

That's a fourth plotline

I'm having trouble placing the third, there's the obvious train plot and the alchemist plot, but I definitely remember when the plots are first introduced there's 3 different years shown on screen (1930, 1931, and 1932 I believe)

I think it might be the plot where the rich sister finds her brother?

I might be wrong on this third plotline thing

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
3 plots, alchemist, train, and the sister looking to find out about her brother. Each are a year apart. The opening and closing episodes are just characters trying to frame the story as they try to organize it, but they're only tangentially connected to the sister's plot in that they're part of the newspaper that she ends up going to for help.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 21, 2018

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

StrixNebulosa posted:

Occultic;Nine is for me, thank you. I feel like I just chugged a 2L of pure nonsense but I had a lot of fun.

I plan on jumping into the other recommendations (Black Lagoon, Nichijou, Jormungand, Baccano) soon enough. O;N's energy seems to have blunted my need for pure distraction so I might do Nichijou or Baccano next.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Occultic;Nine is for me, thank you. I feel like I just chugged a 2L of pure nonsense but I had a lot of fun.

I plan on jumping into the other recommendations (Black Lagoon, Nichijou, Jormungand, Baccano) soon enough. O;N's energy seems to have blunted my need for pure distraction so I might do Nichijou or Baccano next.

:toot:

Glad to hear, enjoy the other shows!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I finished Land of the Lustrous and I loved it. In particular, I liked how it dealt with Buddhist themes. Can anyone suggest another manga that deals with Buddhism? The Buddha Manga is the obvious choice, but I've finished that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I finished Land of the Lustrous and I loved it. In particular, I liked how it dealt with Buddhist themes. Can anyone suggest another manga that deals with Buddhism? The Buddha Manga is the obvious choice, but I've finished that.

Kyousogiga might suit your needs. The original short is good but optional, the ONA is redundant, the TV anime is the main thing. (I think. It's been a while since I watched it, maybe someone else can help clarify which is which.)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Saint Young Men :haw:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kyousogiga might suit your needs. The original short is good but optional, the ONA is redundant, the TV anime is the main thing. (I think. It's been a while since I watched it, maybe someone else can help clarify which is which.)

Yea you're right, the TV anime is really all you need to watch cause it goes over the rest of the stuff that came before it. It also rules a lot.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

gently caress, I knew there was another I'd seen! Yeah, seen the anime for that, too.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My only half-joking answer is Nichijou. I can't seem to find it now but someone did a moderately convincing writeup about how the whole thing is an allegory for Zen Buddhism, with Mai representing a teacher who has attained at least some level of enlightenment, Yukko representing her student who is seeking enlightenment but far from it, and Mio representing someone wholly outside of Zen teachings.

It's also really drat funny.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I need a show to marathon that hits the ground running because right now my mind's too wrapped up in Other Stuff to put up with a slow start even if it goes somewhere great. For an example of a slow start, it doesn't matter how interesting Steins;Gate becomes and how necessary the setup is, I need something more wham-bam than that. I'm thinking some combination of 80s-style, action, suspense, mystery, heist, or possibly horror will do the trick. Comedies are fine but it takes a really special one to make me want to marathon it and I've already run through Pop Team Epic. It doesn't have to be raw adrenaline; I just need something that hits the ground running and keeps moving forward with something like an overarching plot, repeatable action setups (like disconnected heists), or characters that are worth investing in.

Mirai Nikki is like specifically loving made for your request

it "hits the ground running" in the sense that there is quite literally a single episode of setup, which ends with a man being devoured by a black hole because his phone broke. it is every single genre you mentioned at some point or another except 80s-style. it's structured exactly the way you want, with an overarching plot that moves forward through semi-episodic mini-arcs. the characters... are divisive but if you care about them, you'll really, really care about them.

like I realize I'm a broken record with this show but good lord how am I the first person to bring it up here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

gently caress, I knew there was another I'd seen! Yeah, seen the anime for that, too.

Ah, sorry.

On the other hand, now that I've made a good-faith recommendation, I have a weird request that you should feel free to ignore: I would really appreciate it if someone with a decent working knowledge of Buddhism would watch Evangelion and post about how it reacts to / includes Buddhist concepts (or even just covers the same ground incidentally) and, in particular, whether it seems opposed or hostile to the tenets of the religion.

I've looked at it in a Christian framework and I think it's a fruitful approach despite all the "lol it doesn't mean anything" that goes around, but I also think that perspective is clearly incomplete.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ah, sorry.

On the other hand, now that I've made a good-faith recommendation, I have a weird request that you should feel free to ignore: I would really appreciate it if someone with a decent working knowledge of Buddhism would watch Evangelion and post about how it reacts to / includes Buddhist concepts (or even just covers the same ground incidentally) and, in particular, whether it seems opposed or hostile to the tenets of the religion.

I've looked at it in a Christian framework and I think it's a fruitful approach despite all the "lol it doesn't mean anything" that goes around, but I also think that perspective is clearly incomplete.
Man, that may be hard to say, as it's probably been a decade since I've sat down and watched all of Evangelion, so I may get some aspects or plot-points wrong, but my immediate reaction its that it's pretty hostile.
Buddhism has many different philosophical plates that it's spinning, but, in particular, emptiness seems the most relevant. Nothing exists in isolation from a Buddhist perspective; you and beings are a constantly shifting web of influences, emotions, mental states, etc. meaning that one does not "exist". We are all Theseus's ship, so to speak. By realizing the self is an empty concept, and "you" don't exist in a wider cosmic scale, one can gain enlightenment. (This is obviously a bit of a simplification).
Well, in End of Evangelion, Shinji dissolves all distinction between individuals, and instead of finding great, lasting peace, joy, and compassion, he finds anger, hatred, and misery. So yeah, it definitely seems critical.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it "hits the ground running" in the sense that there is quite literally a single episode of setup, which ends with a man being devoured by a black hole because his phone broke. it is every single genre you mentioned at some point or another except 80s-style. it's structured exactly the way you want, with an overarching plot that moves forward through semi-episodic mini-arcs. the characters... are divisive but if you care about them, you'll really, really care about them.

like I realize I'm a broken record with this show but good lord how am I the first person to bring it up here

Because it's not very good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's plenty good, especially if you want something fast-paced and wild

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mirai Nikki owns

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's trashy but fun. Nothing wrong with that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is what happens when I go on hiatus, a lot of degenerates pop up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when namtab is gone, the bad people appear and begin liking things

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

This is what happens when I go on hiatus, a lot of degenerates pop up
Go back to your K-on, old fart! :cheeky:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mirai Nikki owns

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Mirai Nikki should be watched just for having one of the smartest villains in any medium. Also it has a surprisingly good dub.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not gonna say it's not flawed in places (that shrine maiden arc is kind of terrible aside from the Super Sentai guy) but as a whole it's probably one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen, and it knocks some poo poo out of the park that I usually see anime totally botch so it scores extra points with me

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've actually read and watched it before, so good call on knowing what I'll have fun with~

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm in the mood for something 90s as heck. I have watched and very much liked Eva, Utena, Lain and Escaflowne, and while these aren't all similar I feel like they're high quality, mostly serious shows with good/interesting plots/themes. What could I try next?

edit: someone will probably say Cowboy Bebop, which I have tried and couldn't really get into

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 2, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Paperhouse posted:

I'm in the mood for something 90s as heck. I have watched and very much liked Eva, Utena, Lain and Escaflowne, and while these aren't all similar I feel like they're high quality, mostly serious shows with good/interesting plots/themes. What could I try next?

The original Legends of galactic heroes might actually be relevant for once

Though it’s long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

edit: someone will probably say Cowboy Bebop, which I have tried and couldn't really get into
Slayers is 90s as hell and also there's a ton of it. It's a pretty lighthearted fantasy series too, so it'd be different from what you've been watching. I legitimately like a lot of its characters and the plotting is pretty decent in spots, too, even if a lot of the early stuff is just Lina bumbling around in the woods.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is a goofy 90s sci-fi series about a gently caress-up pervert accidentally becoming a spaceship captain. It's got pretty much every gag you'd expect from a 90s anime with that premise but it's funny and I don't feel like the sex jokes ever really cross a line - it's mostly just Tylor hitting on women and making getting laid his number one priority, not really anything assaulty, which makes him an easy guy to find funny.

Outlaw Star is the most 90s sci-fi anime ever made. Space samurai girl, space catgirls, protagonist is named GENE STARWIND. I think a lot of its best material is in its first few episodes, but the later stuff gets pretty surreal in a way I like.

It's from January 2000 and not the 90s, but Tsukikage Ran still hits a lot of the same notes. It's a series about a wandering female samurai and the random misadventures she gets into. It's only 13 eps and it's pretty chill, whole lot of shots of Ran just hanging out in a boat or whatever. Great fight scenes, too. I think a lot of its comedy isn't exactly amazing but it has a few decent gags an episode and Ran herself is likable, so it's a good little series if you just want something easy to watch.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Now and Then, Here and There
Big O
Patlabor OVAs, and movies 1 & 2
Key the Metal Idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also watch the OVA Nineteen19.