Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
My old boss was Lebanese and according to him and the various places we went to in Houston, Shwarma is just the sandwich - can have anything in it. There are some legit joints down here, I liked beef kafta kabob and chicken kabob. I don't remember what they called the lamb one. Usual place we went to (twice a week for ten years) was Fadi's in Bellaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My fondest shwarma memory is sitting on a curb in Shwarma Alley in Bahrain, in the searing heat, eating a "Meat" malgoum out of a roadside stand for a whopping 500 fils. Another 500 got me an ice-cold "Big Sexy" juice... or a lemon-mint juice. 1 BD for a hell of a meal.

:gerty: Just about the only thing I miss about Bahrain.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
http://www.darbandshishkabob.com/ - I'd not really had Persian / Iranian food before and that place is off the charts good. Only thing I miss about working south of the medical center is the badass food within 15 minutes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Memento posted:

Let me introduce you to the glory that is the Halal Snack Pack.

You half-fill a styrofoam takeout container with thick-cut hot chips (French Fries if you're nasty ARE NOT AN OPTION), then stack a thick layer of kebab meat on top, then top it off with garlic sauce, barbecue sauce and chili sauce. AKA THE HOLY TRINITY Some places any place that knows what they're doing will put a layer of shredded cheese between the chips and the meat. Best consumed at 3:00am while drunk. literally any time of the day, just don't make any fuckin plans after.

Fixed.

Pretty much every major capital city in Australia has one or two top HSP vendors. Sometimes it's called a meat box. I've never had a bad one.

It's the only natural predator of Poutine and the Munchy Box.

Get one up ya.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The problem with living just west of the pulsating rear end in a top hat of Texas, I can't turn around without tripping over a fantastic Mexican or Tex-mex place, and good BBQ and Thai is casually easy to find - but good loving luck getting schwarma or pho or curry or sushi or gyros or anything else. Hell, a good hot dog is impossible to get.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

therobit posted:

Are they not just advertising that for a fee they will deep fry anything for you?
This is the country that invented the deep fried Mars bar.
:scotland:

Adiabatic posted:

I am suddenly fat out of nowhere
:scotland:

Also:
https://imgur.com/gallery/g19vTEt

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That was masterful.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Pizza Crunch deserves a mention whilst talking about Scottish food.
Deep fried thick pan pizza which feels like a hug for your insides when you are hungover.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Buckfast and Munchie boxes or are you really trying?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In related news, Scotland introduced minimum alcohol pricing today.

I'm waiting for the riots to start.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

In related news, Scotland introduced minimum alcohol pricing today.

I'm waiting for the riots to start.

No more beer cut with piss for a dime?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Arapahoe County is auto matching me with mechanic jobs at the employment center

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

This is now attempting to play out in my head and I must say, the trumpet works.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fermented Tinal posted:

This is now attempting to play out in my head and I must say, the trumpet works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzA6kMTbUQI

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yep, the trumpet works.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should watch Arrested Development, it just never seemed all the interesting to me.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yep, the trumpet works.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should watch Arrested Development, it just never seemed all the interesting to me.

Ohhhhh man do you need to. Suuuuch good times.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yep, the trumpet works.

You really should.

Don;t fall into the trap that just because a bunch of people endless quote it and praise it that it isn't a good watch

(well, except the Netflix episodes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUPn1rt3Ac

(though he is wrong about Sherlock)

spog fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 1, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Gob is the best character, and I firmly believe if he ever stopped being in denial about how depressed he was and how much he hates his life, he'd probably blow his loving head off

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

(no, he is wrong about GoT)

E: (and new BSG after Season 2 ep 18 is completely at your own risk)

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 1, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yep, the trumpet works.

Watch the first 3 seasons. Then watch them again.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Watch the first 3 seasons. Then watch them again.

This.. it also worked way better as a binge watch show because there are so many jokes going on at one time.. episode to episode I feel a lot was lost but when I watched it on DVD it worked a lot better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

The problem with living just west of the pulsating rear end in a top hat of Texas, I can't turn around without tripping over a fantastic Mexican or Tex-mex place, and good BBQ and Thai is casually easy to find - but good loving luck getting schwarma or pho or curry or sushi or gyros or anything else. Hell, a good hot dog is impossible to get.

It's pizza here in Florida. I have been here 25+ years and not one motherfucker can come up with an exceptional pizza joint. You know it's bad when you're settling for Papa John's....I mean their thin crust pizza is better than anything these local fucks can come up with, after spending lots of time in Boston and having amazing pizza I have come to the conclusion that it's just never going to happen because nothing is even close.

Got a couple of great pho and ramen places, and lots of good greek places too with excellent Gyros and greek salads.....But can someone PLEASE move down from the northeast and make something of an effort to produce good pizza? gently caress. That is all.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's pizza here in Florida. I have been here 25+ years and not one motherfucker can come up with an exceptional pizza joint. You know it's bad when you're settling for Papa John's....I mean their thin crust pizza is better than anything these local fucks can come up with, after spending lots of time in Boston and having amazing pizza I have come to the conclusion that it's just never going to happen because nothing is even close.

Got a couple of great pho and ramen places, and lots of good greek places too with excellent Gyros and greek salads.....But can someone PLEASE move down from the northeast and make something of an effort to produce good pizza? gently caress. That is all.

There's a NYC expat running a decent pizzeria the next town over. I would straight up trade you one of his pies for a decent cubano.

It's a straight-up shame that managing a chain pizzeria for a couple years now has ruined pizza for me forever.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not trying to be that guy, but you can legit make drat good pizza at home. The key for me was getting my crust stretching right, specifically after watching this episode on my local PBS station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsbAOsbpek

(the audio's all hosed up, but the important thing is the technique)

There's a part 1 too that talks about preparing the dough, but I found forming it the hard part. Before I started doing it this way, my crusts were always really funky-shaped, overly puffy, overly chewy. Now they're fantastic, especially if I let the dough sit in the fridge overnight.

Sauce: just drain a can of tomato chunks and blend it up.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

There used to be a place next to jannus landing or whatever it's called now that had loving legit NY style pizza. There's a couple places in Ybor that are delicious as gently caress also.

Actually, we got a pretty goddamn decent pie from some bar on treasure island, too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got a pizza making kit for my weber grill, it works decent but getting the dough right is the hard part, I think that the biggest hurdle for any good pizza. But as far as doing it at home, over hot coals is the best way I've found so far.

Doodie, I think the place by Jannus you're thinking of is Fortunato's, they were decent until they got new owners a few years ago so it's poo poo now. As far as Treasure Island, I don't know what bar you went to, the only bar i can think of that serves pizza is Ricky T's maybe, every other place that sells pizza on the island is just ok.

My taste buds have been spoiled tho from spending so much time in Boston and NY, we're going on another trip to Boston for Memorial weekend and guaranteed we'll be spending all our evenings on the north end gorging on good pizza and italian food.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

You really should.

Don;t fall into the trap that just because a bunch of people endless quote it and praise it that it isn't a good watch

(well, except the Netflix episodes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUPn1rt3Ac

Apparently Season 4 has been recut to be chronological, and they're releasing it on Friday.

Not sure if that's going to help the season, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/1/17307974/arrested-development-fourth-season-remix-release-date-netflix

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ha it’s funny because my favorite pizza in the world is at a place in Destin but I realize it is nowhere close to NY style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This was my experience in California. Nobody could make pizza worth half a poo poo anywhere.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Apparently Season 4 has been recut to be chronological, and they're releasing it on Friday.

Not sure if that's going to help the season, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/1/17307974/arrested-development-fourth-season-remix-release-date-netflix

I legit enjoyed recursive season 4

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
There are some legit rear end pizza places in the bay but not in Sacramento. Weird, it’s almost like I’m trapped in hell...

I get to move out and never come back in August. Not related, I just have to remind myself of it constantly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Your mistake is not understanding Thanos is the hero of the movie

Maybe not the one we wanted, but definitely the one we deserve

I've had a couple of days since watching the movie, and I agree. Thanos is the protagonist, a strong idealist and the only one with a clear, well-articulated and considered plan for the future.

Maybe he's a bit heavy-handed (ha ha), but his intentions are pure and supported by a solid moral compass.

Thanos 2020. Because half of you will be voting for the other guy anyway.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 2, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Where are all these sweet-rear end distorted avs coming from?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a thread in GBS, I've got one waiting to be bought when I can be bothered to fire up a real pc.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854284

You can play around a bit with JPG glitching yourself, with this tool: https://snorpey.github.io/jpg-glitch-electron/

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fermented Tinal posted:

(no, he is wrong about GoT)

E: (and new BSG after Season 2 ep 18 is completely at your own risk)

Once you've seen the Adama maneuver it never really gets better from there. I somehow managed to go for years without watching most of the last half of season 4 and the last episode. I was confused when I rewatched it, but I don't feel like I really missed much the first time around.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 2, 2018

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I legit enjoyed recursive season 4

Same but I went in with the expectation that it wold suck and it definitely wasn't on the level of 1-3. Still lol'd.
It was really hard to get in Canada recently tho, since Netflix made it but someone else has Canadian franchise rights and ain't no way Netflix is putting their poo poo on someone else's streaming service. I pretty much had to :filez:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sinestro posted:

There are some legit rear end pizza places in the bay but not in Sacramento. Weird, it’s almost like I’m trapped in hell...

I get to move out and never come back in August. Not related, I just have to remind myself of it constantly.

Bullshit.
Zeldas if you like deep dish, masullo if you don't.

Also, I'll fight you, sacramento is great if you don't live in tge suburbs.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Bay area motherfuckers: Amatos.

That is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread