Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Not killing yourself on a low ridge is political correctness gone mad, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colonel Cancer posted:

*accidentally drops freedom's sunshine on an American school instead*

Nahh they usually drop them on kids playing in treehouses.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

Anyone know if the book written by Captain Duke Nukem is available from somewhere that doesn't require me to sign up to a free trial that turns into a monthly charge?

https://file.io/J0lpet

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Memento posted:

Nahh they usually drop them on kids playing in treehouses.

Huh I could swear it was a school or something. Good catch.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Their hitting anything is purely an accident.
That time USAF lost a few H-bombs at Palomares they sent another bomber onto the same flight path, which released dummy bombs at the same spot and the same speed, to see where the bombs might have fallen.
They lost the dummies too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Their hitting anything is purely an accident.
That time USAF lost a few H-bombs at Palomares they sent another bomber onto the same flight path, which released dummy bombs at the same spot and the same speed, to see where the bombs might have fallen.

:lol: Okay that's amazing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Huh I could swear it was a school or something. Good catch.

Oh that also happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing_of_the_Little_Egg_Harbor_Intermediate_School

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks! Unfortunately someone else beat me to it :argh: There sure are a lot of sites that offer it for download, but then after you stare at your screen for 2 minutes waiting for the download to be enabled, they say it got deleted. I think I'll just read it online on scribd :v:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not meant to be behind a paywall or any subscription. Those places are scammy as.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I'm about three months behind on this thread, but hydroflouric acid is a a fascination of mine and this was a new story to me on one dude's quest to remove a stain on a shirt and his trip to the emergency room where we learn about calcium therapy

http://discovermagazine.com/1996/apr/aninvisiblefire739

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

GotLag posted:

I found Ignition! hilarious and I'm definitely no expert chemist.

(continues for a million pages)

the square root of your guess! man, what a knee-slapper

oohhboy posted:

I am not sure what is wrong with what you quoted.

the opposite of wrong, I was quoting one of the good parts I found. like this extremely chinathread.txt sample of the word-of-mouth SOP followed by chinese flight officers:

quote:

• Whenever you use the WX radar it’s irradiating your nutsack and you’re going sterile and catching cancer, so don’t use it unless you absolutely have to (I have no clue how to reconcile this with their casual attitude toward the massive doses of radiation one receives during every medical check);
  • You should not fly too fast because the noise generated by the windshield wipers will damage your heart (again, how this airspeed consciousness resolves with their otherwise chokingly rapid rate of smoking, I don’t know)
  • If the WX radar isn’t pointed straight down you aren’t really seeing the weather; to really see what mother nature is throwing your way, point that bitch straight down into the mud like the dirty whore she is!
  • With the WX radar now properly pointed straight down, any red areas represent extreme danger and should be avoided at any cost, with prior ATC permission that is, like a little puppy dog wetting itself with excitement.
  • If your airspeed is anywhere in the vicinity of “green dot” (this is EMB190 talk) you’re going to flip over and burst into loving flames.
  • Similarly, if your airspeed is anywhere near the vicinity of Vmo/Mmo, a deathray from space will strike you down on the tarmac and your family will forever live in great shame.
  • You should follow the glide-slope beam down to 10 feet on visual approach.
  • You should confirm ATC instructions every time all the time at least once and maybe twice just for good measure, then confirm them a couple of times with the Captain too.
  • Just confirm everything with ATC even if (especially if) you did understand it.
  • “But, the instructor (who is a very nice man) told me _____________.”
  • Never EVER turn off the autopilot, and if you do, never ever EVER turn off the auto-thrusts too or you will go straight to Chinese Hell and freeze (brrrr!)
  • If ATC tells you, “Fly heading 123” you can kindof just sorta point in that direction, and if you’re really poo poo hot, track 123 instead because we all know that’s what the controller really wants.
  • The same philosophy above applies to airspeed.
  • If you don’t have some fix programmed direct-to in the FMS while on radar vectors you’re going to Chinese Hell to keep company with the assholes who turned off the auto-thrusts.
  • Turbulence = Hands on the Control Wheel NOW and pray to your pagan god the autopilot doesn’t disconnect.
  • Hey “Jim,” ask ATC for right turn heading 170… “…Control, China Dragon 7123 requesting right turn heading 190.”
  • Jim,” can you ask ATC for course offset 5 miles right side due to weather… “…Control, China Dragon 7123 request 3 miles right offset due to weather.”
  • I’m sorry, we don’t do (insert fundamental rule of flight) that way in China

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 1, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DrPossum posted:

I'm about three months behind on this thread, but hydroflouric acid is a a fascination of mine and this was a new story to me on one dude's quest to remove a stain on a shirt and his trip to the emergency room where we learn about calcium therapy

For most people, fascination with HF should start with fastening a good pair of running shoes to one's feet. Then it's advisable to leave the vicinity of the HF.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mustached Demon posted:

For most people, fascination with HF should start with fastening a good pair of running shoes to one's feet. Then it's advisable to leave the vicinity of the HF.

HF got -- by far -- the most emphasis in safety training at my college major, starting with day 1 of freshman year. And we worked with chlorine-based gases and other nasty things. Twenty years later and that poo poo is still fresh in my mind.

Completely unrelated and more satisfying, dude who wouldn't let the dashcam driver pass gets played:

https://i.imgur.com/4oqRZmQ.mp4

Slightly longer LiveLeak link (where somehow nobody dies): https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=u8Nrm_1525143605

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

At the very least they put the weight on/in front of the axles.

https://i.imgur.com/3PQFK7Y.mp4

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was behind a truck pulling a trailer like that but there was nothing at all on it.

Ohhh boy I kept a lot of distance from that thing. It was so light, it was bouncing around uncontrollably from every tiny bump into other lanes.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Renegret posted:

I was behind a truck pulling a trailer like that but there was nothing at all on it.

Ohhh boy I kept a lot of distance from that thing. It was so light, it was bouncing around uncontrollably from every tiny bump into other lanes.

Those little trailers are scary because they usually see no maintenance aside from a squirt of WD-40 after they leave the Sears they were bought from in the 1980s. Also LOL if you think I'm paying attention to the maximum recommended speed for this thing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hey friends! The SafetyFest is happening this Saturday night in Brooklyn, lots of stuff happening: fire, sparks, table saws, human wrecking ball, etc etc. protective eyewear is mandatory and safety themed costumes are too, dm me for the spot

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Mustached Demon posted:

I used to work at this inorganic chemistry R&D/manufacturing place that didn't have awful OSHA, but didn't have the best either. To wit, some of the R&D people got sick from a zinc vapor release in the lab. poo poo happens, and it doesn't happen all the time, but those Ph.D.'s should have known better.

Fast forward a couple of years to the discovery of a new compound and the desire to synthesize such on an industrial scale. The ops people and the CTO were pushing a HF-based synthesis process. I was pretty horrified and didn't want to be anywhere near there, as I value my sense of smell and life. When I had an opportunity to volunteer to get laid off shortly thereafter, I ran, not walked, out of there.

I have no idea if they ever went down the HF path but my friends from there are all still alive and able to smell, so I guess they are doing OSHA!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SelenicMartian posted:

But it worked for Tom Sawyer!

Mark Twain posted:

But he could not find it. Now he went back to his treasure-house and carefully placed himself just as he had been standing when he tossed the marble away; then he took another marble from his pocket and tossed it in the same way, saying:

"Brother, go find your brother!"

He watched where it stopped, and went there and looked. But it must have fallen short or gone too far; so he tried twice more. The last repetition was successful. The two marbles lay within a foot of each other.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

hackbunny posted:

(continues for a million pages)

the square root of your guess! man, what a knee-slapper

That's all high school stuff, but yeah probably boring if you don't have the background or you're not interested in the topic? In the same way, Flying Upside Down is explicitly written for other pilots.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

hackbunny posted:

poo poo writing is poo poo writing. I wonder if it's a deal like Ignition! where everyone says the book is hi-la-ri-ous but I think I'm one of a dozen people on earth who has actually read it ignition is well written but very technical and a very hard read for anyone who isn't a chemist. the zany anecdotes everyone loves to quote are all the zany anecdotes in the book. I hope you like hydrazine and nitric acid because that's what you're actually going to read about

Ok, so I have a PhD but the last chemistry class I took was as a first year undergrad and I found Ignition to be extremely readable.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BEHOLD, A GOD WHO BLEEDS

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

crbrsd posted:

That's all high school stuff,

:jerkbag: sorry I only had a C- in hypergolic non-cryogenic liquid propellants for high altitude all weather non naval tactical military applications

drgitlin posted:

Ok, so I have a PhD but the last chemistry class I took was as a first year undergrad and I found Ignition to be extremely readable.

it's drier than *checks notes* anhydrous white fuming nitric acid

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 2, 2018

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

:jerkbag:

it's drier than *checks notes* anhydrous white fuming nitric acid

I cracked open a three gallon jug of nitric acid putting my lawnmower back in to the garage on sunday

I use it to decontaminate metal, turns out it doesn't like concrete either, who would have guessed?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/BltyJD0.mp4

the driver claimed a BIRD FLEW INTO THE TRUCK

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Nerses IV posted:

I cracked open a three gallon jug of nitric acid putting my lawnmower back in to the garage on sunday

I use it to decontaminate metal, turns out it doesn't like concrete either, who would have guessed?

Concrete is essentially a mix of alkaline solids so acids do not behave well with it.

Mustached Demon posted:

I work with nitric acid daily but gently caress HF.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

starkebn posted:

the way that pole hangs and falls is incredible. You can even see like when it first shorts.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

starkebn posted:

This camera guy is a loving moron. Tanker with "oil" on the side is about to crash into live power lines.

*speeds up*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

starkebn posted:

That... WAS AWESOME

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

starkebn posted:

Did it happen to be a Cormorant chasing a butterfly?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

weg posted:

This camera guy is a loving moron. Tanker with "oil" on the side is about to crash into live power lines.

*speeds up*

Its a cop you doof, he's probably rushing to do cop stuff on site at an emergency

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

starkebn posted:

Volta Oil indeed :science:

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

Concrete is essentially a mix of alkaline solids so acids do not behave well with it.

It's the concrete's fault anyway and they both get all salty about it

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

starkebn posted:

That is some dope footage

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

DrPossum posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember reading this article in the actual magazine. There was this one and a weird one about DMSO that I don't remember clearly (except that apparently the lady using it stank.) Or maybe that one was from Omni - I know they were similar sorts of magazines.

Edit: Found it: http://discovermagazine.com/1995/apr/analysisofatoxic493

Wait a minute, this isn't the chemistry thread...

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 2, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

weg posted:

*speeds up*

Actually I think the chain of events was :
*adjusts dash cam so it captures the full spectacle*
*speeds up*

We watch a lot of Russian dash cam footage in the PYF Schadenfreude thread and I've noticed that a lot of the time the people in those videos also don't slow down when a horrific accident happens right in front of them, but most cars in Russia seem to be really old and poorly maintained so I guess their brakes aren't worth poo poo anyway. Also they're almost always speeding like crazy so I guess their attitude is "If I try to swerve or brake at this speed I'll just roll the car or get rear ended by the car that's inevitably tailgating me and also speeding so I'll keep going and try to zoom past the accident to safety"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 2, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

starkebn posted:

"There was a spider. I got it."

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

Bacon Taco posted:

I used to work at this inorganic chemistry R&D/manufacturing place that didn't have awful OSHA, but didn't have the best either. To wit, some of the R&D people got sick from a zinc vapor release in the lab. poo poo happens, and it doesn't happen all the time, but those Ph.D.'s should have known better.

A contract lab I've worked at a couple of time uses potassium cyanide for some of their testing. Two months ago one of the scientists died from hydrogen cyanide exposure while working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Irradiation posted:

I do both. HFs great for etching oxide-based films off surfaces who knew?

And my co-workers wonder why I'm a giant rear end with the hood sashes.